Complaints & Reviews

replacing dryer receptacle

Thomas Waldron is a crook. He charged me $1700 to change a dryer receptacle and plug. It took him about a half hour to do and the parts cost is about $50. Why would I pay this? I had zero idea of the cost of these things. Never had to hire an electrician to do work before and he spent 15-20 minutes babbling to qualify this. I was caught off guard. Don't become a victim. He starts with $110 arrival fee makes you sign. He initially told me it would cost between $500-800 for the whole job. Before he gets started he tells me once he starts work it will be $600. Makes you sign. Once he had me hooked for that amount he tells me it will be another $1000 to complete. I knew I was being hosed but did not know how bad. Every professional I've spoken to about this said the whole job should have been $300 MAX. Then I learn that he has done this many many times to people and he was arrested on 8/12 by McCandless police for deceptive business practice - false/mis stating credentials and criminal attempt theft by deceptive false impression. He is due in court on Nov 13th. Google "Pittsburgh Electrician Arrested" and you will learn all you need to know. He also owns. Also look out for other business names such as Three Rivers Electric, Electric USA inc., 911 Emergency Electric Service, Speedy Electric Heating & Cooling. When I asked him the next day why it ended up being so much more than his original estimate he refused to answer. I was going to dispute with my bank but he would try to sue me whereas he would settle for a fair amount but with a gag order. I would rather let the public know and allow the Attorney General take it from here. He will likely lose another case like the one he lost in 2002 ti AG Jesse Harvey for $41k - 94 victims total. There are SEVERAL complaints they are working with already.

Electrical repair

My mom was in a nursing home under hospice care. I was unable to schedule an electrician as I was at the nursing home daily attending to her. She has since passed away. (Jan. 1, 2017) On Dec. 22, 2016 I had only partial power in my home. My electricity provider had been to my home the day before and was able to restore some power, but told me that there was a corroded bolt at the meter which needed to be replaced at the homeowners expense. I called Mr. Waldron at 3:00 p.m. after arriving home from the nursing home and explained the problem to him. He told me that it sounded like a pretty big job and would take about a week at a cost of between $6, 000-$8, 000. He arrived shortly after 5:30 and without even looking at the meter asked for my credit card, went to his truck, called his office, and put $8, 000 on my card which still remains today. He went to the meter, began working, left, and returned with the necessary bolt. My power was restored about 9:00. I had gone to bed and the lights and TV woke me up. Mr. Waldron told me the next day he was here until 1:00 a.m., doing what I don't know. I did not sign any contracts as he told me he did not have any paperwork in his truck. I thought I had really dodged a bullet- that really didn't take long at all! Wrong! After checking my credit card the next day I saw the charge still remained. On Dec. 30, I received by certified letter the contracts for me to sign and initial. I was also to note that this was only a temporary fix and for another $5, 000 he could finish the job. Of course I did not sign or return his paperwork. He did return a few days later to connect a wire and replace the meter cover. I had another company to my home. Their estimate to replace the 400amp meter socket including electrical inspection and disconnect and reconnect fees was $1, 600, not $5, 000. Their estimate for the temporary work that Mr. Waldron completed in off hours was $860 which included 5 hours of overtime at $156 per hour and $80 for the corroded bolt-a far cry from $8, 000. Mr. Waldron had been to my home twice before-once to upgrade a box and another to locate a short in an outside plug. I did not use his company either time. (he also own Speedy Electric) My home had a large addition put on 13 years ago and my electrical service was upgraded to commercial at that time. It is state of the art. Waldron Electric is not an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau, has been investigated by the State's Attorney Generals Office, has had local consumer news reporters interview others who have complained, and does not meet requirements to be on Angie's List. He has threatened to put a lien on my home, pursue me like a wolf, and file a lawsuit against me. Good luck with that Mr. Tom! I am currently letting my credit card company deal with the situation, and if they are unable to resolve it, I will be filing my own lawsuit!
I feel Mr. Waldron deserves at best $860.

• To
    Tom Waldron Aug 13, 2017

The Customer retained all her money back as she stopped on the credit card and in result of that action stole the goods and emergency services of our company.
    She knew all costs and signed for them before we did the work. We have the documents with her signature authorizing the work.
    Hunted like a wolf is putting it mildly, I will be relentless in attempt to stop you from stealing our goods and services.

Scam

Tom Waldron and Waldron Electric Co. was sued By the State Attorney General's Office in PA for violating consumer protection laws. The suit filed by the PA State Attorney General against Tom Waldron and his companies stated that the "defendants failed to disclose fees, misrepresented that Waldron Electric and Electric USA are operated independently, performed services in an unworkmanlike manor, failed to provide the proper right of cancellation and failed to register a fictitious name." The defendants were ordered to pay $45, 000 to the Commonwealth of PA which includes consumers who were wronged. More info at the Western PA BBB.

overcharged for services

A couple of years ago I had a company named "Brite House" add an electric outlet to the wall in a...

Deceptive business practices

This posting is a description of the facts, and is not about any subjective judgments.

On Oct. 30 2007, my mother called Waldron Electric in McMurray, PA. in search of electrical service for 3 outlets that were not working in her kitchen. The service man arrived and spent 2 hours in my mothers home. When she asked what he had done, he said he had looked at her fuse box, said there was dust in the fuse sockets, and the fuses were not making connection, said she had a severed electrical line outside , and it was an emergency situation and the house could catch on fire at any time (). he also stated that he had checked the three outlets with a meter. He charged her 689.00 for no repairs made. the outlets still did not work. A check of the outside was made after he left and revealed no severed wires. He asked her for her credit card immediately. He took an impression and put the charge through right away. He then convinced her that she needed to replace her fuse box with a breaker box to avoid her house catching on fire. My mother is a 82 year old widow living alone. She was very frightened, he then drew up another contract to replace her fuse box at a cost of $6,622.00. He then took an imprint of her credit card and left the house without doing any electrical repairs. For the two hours he was there, he charged her $433.00 for "diagnosing". He also charged her $191.00 for "Repair" when nothing was repaired. I was able to stop the $6,622.00 transaction that was attempting to go through before the work was done. I was not able to stop the $689.00. I received two other quotes for the same work to upgrade a 100 AMP fuse box to circuit breakers, one was $600.00 and the other was $800.00. I called Waldron to cancel this contract and order them not to appear at my mothers house in the morning. I cancelled my credit card so no additional payments would be made, and have filed a claim with the credit card company for what I feel was unethical business practices. When I called the company and informed them that they will not be doing the work, and I will complain to the BBB and place a complaint on Angie's List, he became hostile and threatening my mother with a lawsuit, stating: "If you put me on Angie's list, I will take you to court, I will sue you for everything you have, you'll have nothing when I am done with you, and you will not win". He was bullying my mother so she would not stop the contract, because she would be so afraid. This company was cited by the PA Attorney General for its business practices and was forced to pay $40,000 in refunds to 94 customers. My mother has since contracted to have the work done for $700.00.

• Sh
    Sherrilyn Aug 06, 2012

Wow must be this guy's method of operation...same with me...$500 diagnostic fee, credit card immediately taken, additional $1, 800 repair bill...AND IT DIDN'T WORK WHEN HE LEFT! I "fired" him, asked for $$$ back, he became threatening and hostile. What a nightmare. He takes advantage of your situation to rip you off, and puts $55 on your bill saying it's a donation for animal rescue that gets you a discount off his price!!! Hopefully the attorney general will be able to put him out of business (he has several company names to continue to operate his scams) BUYER BEWARE!

Ripping customers off!

Waldron Electric tried ripping me off. I called them in an emergency and agreed to their $89 service call... Thats only fair, then came the $300 diagnostic fee, and the 400 line test charge. All of which he wanted only cash or credit card up front. When I refused to agree to this, he gave me a quote of 8900 to replace a breaker box... thats right $8900! I told them to get out of my house. I had to call the police to remove them from the front of my house. I had the work done the next day, by registered electricians for $1400. This included an upgrade that Waldron didn't include. They were trying to capitalize on the emergency. They are no good. The inspectors in the area won't even inspect their work because of their known rip off tactics. They need to be exposed and put out of business

• Mr
    mrteb Sep 30, 2011

These guys are thieves. They charged my 93-year-old mother over $1000 to replace a shorted out junction box (outlet) in her kitchen. They were there less than 1 hour. What kind of low-life business preys on old ladies?

• Or
    ordinary1 May 02, 2012

Completely Agree! They quoted me $7900 to replace electric service. I don't know how Mr. Waldron can sleep at night. I pray that not another single person gets taken advantage of by these thieves.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices