Volkswagen Of Americapower train warranty for defective water pump not being honored!

I purchased a 2004 Passat TDI in July 2005 from VW of America. It was a buyback with claims that the engine did not start, probably due to failure to understand what a glow plug indicator light was all about, or so I assumed. In the last year and a half I have been very pleased with all of the features that the car offered, good milage, reasonable maintenance costs etc. I have had all service done by VW at the local dealership at the intervals stipulated.

On December 10, 2006 while driving the service indicator lights came on stating STOP... a good effective communication. The car was overheating and after letting it cool down I made my way home being careful not to let it get hot again, stopping along the way as necessary. The following day I went to the dealership to purchase new coolant and told them about the episode and that the heater was not putting out any heat. They responded by saying that the was a high incidence of the water pumps failing in these cars at 50-75,000 miles. I made an apointment for the next available time, Thursday the 14th, and brought the car in as requested.

The service advisor started by telling me that there was an $80.00 diagnostic charge to look at the car. I responded that since the car had 59,337 mile on it and that the powertrain warranty covered the water pump until 60,000 miles that I didn't plan on spending $80.00. His response was that if it was the water pump then there would be no charge. Five hours later the motive began to become apparent.

First, after I called to check on the status I was informed that the thermostat was bad and that it would be $200.00 to replace it... a $22.00 part suddenly grew to $200.00. He also stated that it was possible that the failure of the thermostat could have caused a failure of the water pump, in which case the powertrain warranty would be void... how convenient. It doesn't require MENSA membership to guess what happened next.

Meanwhile I was in touch with VW customer care center. Jeff Monroe, the first 'customer advocate' I spoke with agreed that if the waterpump and the thermostat were bad that VW would err on the side of the consumer and warranty the whole claim. Later in the day I spoke with Joann (no last name) who promised that someone would be back in touch with me by the end of business the next day, Friday the 15th. Needless to say, that promise was as unfulfilled as it now appears the warranty is. A call today, Monday December 18, 2006 has elicited yet another promise of someone getting in touch by 'the end of the day'

I will keep this updated and would appreciate any other experiences, good or bad, on other folks treatment by the Customer Care Center at VW.

• Updated by festus israel · Oct 17, 2018

i have a problem with my radio socket mount bracket. pls how can i get to buy this and at how much.
    Festus israel
    Nigerian, West African
    [email protected]

• Co
    concernedmommy Jul 08, 2011

I was driving my 2010 Routan down the street near our home when I had to make a quick stop at a stoplight. My 2 year old son was sitting behind me and when I stopped, his entire seat propelled forward and rammed into the back of my seat. The back of the driver seat headrest is made of a very dense, heavy, pointed, plastic material that created a very serious head injury in my little boy. I was dumbfounded. There was no reason for me to ever think that my childs seat could spontaneously become unlatched. There was no indication that the seat was improperly latched and no type of warning system in place to alert me to this severely dangerous situation. I took my vehicle in to the dealership and they told me they have no idea why that happened. I have talked to VW corporate numerous times and all that they tell me is that they have documented my case. This is unacceptable. I do not want this happening to anyone elses children.

John Rees Aug 19, 2013

I had a timing chain sprocket fail because of improper heat treatment. Although this was a known problem, VW would not cover the repair since it was 3, 000 miles out of warranty. The bill was $4, 500.00. Complete details with photos and invoice are on my web page at: http://reesphotos.com/VW/

Johnny Yap Sep 05, 2018

Do you wan to know what I wan to complain?Please call me Johnny 016-6945625

• Fe
    festus israel Oct 22, 2018

pls i have the problem of damage on my radio cage mount bracket. i want to know where to get this to buy. I am in Nigeria west Africa.
    Email: [email protected]

• Xa
    Xavier Douteau Mar 24, 2019

Dear Sir / Madam, i would like to file a complain, i had a problem with one of my Rim, the VW agency here told me that it needed to be changed, i have been waiting now for a month! and have no choice but to rent a car.. this is really sending a bad image of a group like VW!

regards,

Xavier Douteau

+230 52 57 46 53

• Mo
    Molar010 Jun 04, 2019

my car is Passat 2016 and i left at VW service center since 22 may they told me that it need engine control and it will be in the warranty and it need 45 days to be ordered and arrive to egypt and refuse to give me another car during that period of time

• Yo
    yogesh Bharia Jul 16, 2019

Sirsa show room me warranty me part ke paise mang the h or bol the Hisar jao free ho jae ga
    Sirsa me service centre nhi h but part sell kiye ha rhe h
    Very bad experience in sirsa

• Ha
    Hatem Shebl Oct 20, 2019

I did ask for a front door window from 10th April 2019 and till today there's no response.

• Ts
    Tshepo Matjebe Jan 13, 2020

I purchased brand new Jetta Tsi in 2018 December, when I try to renew my disc this I cant due to car not being registered under me.tried several times to reach the dealer sending me pillar to pillar regarding the matter, now they have given me to drive with the permit for time being, i am really frustrated with the dealer.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices