Veterans AdvantageUnauthorized charge!

Veterans Advantage charged my credit card $4.95 for shipping charges of a packet I never requested or received. I did not find out about this charge until I noticed it in my credit card statement. I am appalled at the unethical practices of this "Military Veteran friendly" organization. When I called and proceeded to cancel my membership, they tried bribing me to continue my membership. In return for my continued membership they were going to contribute an unspecified amount to a military charity organization. I recommend that anyone who is debating to become a member really think twice. There are numerous complaints also filed with the BBB. Unfortunately, they all have been resolved and they continue to use the same practices.

• Sh
    SHT Rob19126 Feb 20, 2016

My charge Card was debited without my authorization and has caused me bank fees.
    89.00 this month and 9.90 in Jan.2016
    Help vets, don't hurt them. Looking at other post, there's some truth in the numerous complaints.

• Rh
    Rholc Jan 20, 2016

Tried to use the card for Verizon discounts but after three trips to the local store and multiple promises to apply the discounts to my account I was ultimately told my "account did not qualify". Also tried to use the card at CVS and they have never heard of VA and would not process any discounts. I contacted VA and asked for a refund and they said they would send me a "refund form". I just received the form yesterday and they were asking me to hand write everything they already had in their files such as name, address, city, state, zip and membership number and return the form and all cards to them. In their cover letter, they casually mentioned "please note, that the past fees are typically non-refundable". Their purpose is clear and that is to scam vets and to take their money and not provide the services they pretend to offer. If they are sincere in their mission, they would refund the money without all the red tape and delay and not hide behind their so called purpose when it obviously all about the money. Requested the refund couple of weeks ago and just received the form. Letter was dated December 31st, 2015 and received letter on January 19th, 2016. I have no confidence in this organization and their creditably will be proven in whether or not they issue a full and prompt refund. Anything less will clearly demonstrate their true intent.

• Ka
    Karen VanHaagen Campbell Jan 14, 2016

I have been trying to cancel my membership and Getty my money back from UNAUTHORIZED charges for a next year's membership for over a year. It is impossible to reach a person over the phone and even though my emails were received and read, Veterans Advantage refuses to answer them. They are a total ripoff and I was never able to access the one discount I wanted, that they advertised and had direct link to. Karen Campbell

• Mr
    MrRock Jul 03, 2015

Many business simply graciously offer a discount to veterans. This I am appreciative of. The business of charging veterans to get a discount for veterans makes no sense, and it's a shame the businesses are doing this instead of just checking id's.

• Fa
    Fat and happy Jan 14, 2015

SCAM>>>>>>>>>>> Run by vets.

• Us
    U.S. 56426052 Tet Vet Jan 08, 2015

I agree with Gunny 0629. Veterans Advantage is a scam. The so-called discounts aren't worth anything. Veterans Advantage uses a business model a lot like the Affinion Group, relying on obfuscation, delaying tactics, and deception. Affinion Group has been successfully sued by the Attorney Generals of several states, but is still raking in enough money by scamming the rest of the country that a few billion here and there doesn't stop them. Since these businesses operate all over the United States, I'd like to see the United States Attorney General start shutting them down. But these businesses scam a lot of money, and we all know how that works. If there is a lawyer out there reading this who wants to start a class action suit against Veterans Advantage, I will be glad to testify

• Gu
    Gunny0629 Nov 18, 2014

This is complete ###. You present your DD214 or your disabled VA card and or Retired or Active duty ID card and you get the same discount. You don't need some ### company scamming you for money each month. If you signed up, cancel your contract. If they refuse, then call an attorney. It makes me nauseous to think that these ###s are taking money from Veterans just to provide them with a "DISCOUNT" they already had. I bed none of these ###tards even spent a day in uniform. If you work for this company you should go outside and step in front of a train. Horrible ###ing people take from people who gave so much.

• Tk
    TK12 Jul 28, 2014

Be aware of any company that had "evergreen" (automatic renewal) and especially ones that don't allow you to cancel online. They are using the AOL model.

• Bl
    Blackjack55 Jul 03, 2014

I agree that any organization that is set up to charge veterans for discount privileges is a greedy for profit organization. Why should veterans have to pay for a discount? We put our lives on the line (I am a WWII combat infantryman) and this is the way we get paid back for our service?

• St
    stevesdca Jul 02, 2014

Well, there are a number of veterans here that do not feel that they were treated fairly by Veteran's Advantage. Personally, the one thing that I disagree with up front is the fact that they offer a trial period and you have to pay a processing fee for it. But, that is just my personal opinion. I would like to wish all my brother and sister veterans a very happy and blessed 4th of July!!!

Stephen.

• St
    stevesdca Jul 02, 2014

Well, there are a number of Veterans on here that for whatever reason, do not feel that they were treated fairly by Veteran's Advantage. I believe that if a company offers a free trial period then there should not be a processing fee, but that is my personal opinion. Happy 4th of July to all my brother and sister vets. Stephen.

• Md
    mdewitt71 Feb 24, 2014

Pay money to get a Military discount...
    Man, that just seems so messed up. AMTRAK you aint helping anyone out... especially after a years worth of fees.
    How bout you quit paying fees to a service provider and have us Military retiree's show an ID for a discount?????

• Ky
    kyle4205 Nov 29, 2013

I was enrolled with veterans advantage and they automatically charged my credit card for $4. 95 even though they said that it was free enrollment for 30days and they would not charge my credit card and there is money back guaranteed in which it was crock of s***. After that 30 days was up even though i cancelled my membership with them within less than 48 hours from the start. They charged my credit card again for $199. 95 for without my authorization or they never gave me an explanation for that charge. I been emailing them and i haven't heard from them so i will have to cancel my credit card and notify my bank for their con artist technique. They are bunch of ### and it's very hurtful for these a**holes to scam money for men and women that have served in the military, protecting and serving this country and put up with this kind of bull s***.

• Ro
    Roy 2013 Nov 07, 2013

If you do get this card, beware of the automatic renewal. The website says you can dis-enroll from auto renewal by going to "My Account", but there is no option on the website for doing so, you have to call them, be sure to ask for confirmation email. Also be aware they charge an additional $9.90 processing charge annually, another ripoff. United does not recognize the Veterans Advantage discount for all flights as they claim and often you can get a better deal by travelocity or other travel site.

• Bu
    burnin Aug 22, 2013

ive used it for greyhound buses couple times and already got money back for card. also bought flowers for daughter out of state. little mishap happened and they fixed asap. getting ready to use it again and save. all in all satisfied.

• Vi
    Vietnam Era Veteran Jul 19, 2013

I purchased a $2400 trip to the Philippines with hotel included. They booked my flight through Canada after I asked them to route me through San Francisco because I live in Portland, Oregon. Needless to say I ended up buying my own ticket through San Francisco arriving two days later and Veterans Advantage had nothing to say but oops. Even Philippine Airlines told me they could not refund me for any unused portion of the flight but that the people who booked it (Veterans Advantage Travel) could but they denied that they could do anything since they already had my money. I will never ever use any of their services again because I totally don't trust them. Yes I got a call from their President, Scott Higgins but they didn't do anything except tell me they were sorry. So be careful using their service and triple check everything or you'll end up in some foreign prison.

• Ve
    Veterans Advantage HQ Jul 15, 2013

Veterans Advantage takes comments like this seriously. We sent our companion air ticket communication to this member at her address of record, but in a phone call to us on March 9, she said she never received it. After re-confirming her address, we sent the certificate on March 11 to the same address. This member has chosen to continue her membership, so we consider this a case closed to the customer’s satisfaction.

For questions related to membership, including special offers, you can call 1-866-VETASSIST [protected]). Our team is happy to help you Monday-Friday, 9am-9pm ET, and on Saturday, 11am-4pm ET. We are closed Sundays and on holidays.

Veterans Advantage is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau, where we have been accredited since 2001.

• Vi
    Visgar Jun 12, 2013

I signed up for this card to buy my brother a computer for his birthday. It saved me about 200 dollars. However I also tried to call them and unsubscribe, which should have been the end of it. Lo and behold 6 months later they are charging me again. I am about to call them but I bet my money won't get my refunded even though I told them I no longer want your service please cancel my account. It really makes me want to put those distance shooting skills from the Marine Corps to use.

• Du
    DUANE GARCIA Apr 10, 2013

i WANT TO RESIND THE COMPLAINT I MADE LAST TIME ABOUT NOT GETTING MY POINTS FROM UNITED AIRLINES, AFTER I WAS CONTACTED BY VETERANS ADVANTAGE AND THEY GOT THE FACTS ABOUT MY TRIP THEY DID INDEED CONTACT UNITED AND MADE THEM AWARE OF THE PROBLEM IN WHICH I COMPLAINED AND UNITED RESERCHED AND INDEED GAVE ME THE POINTS I DIDNOT RECEIVE, AND A FEW DAYS AGO I WAS ABOUT TO BOOK ANOTHER FLIGHT BACK TO THE UKRAINE AND HAD A SMALL PROBLEM, AGAIN VETERANS ADVANTAGE AFTER THEY WERE MADE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM THEY CONTACTED UNITED AND EXPLAINED WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS, UNITED AGAIN CHECKED AND QUICKLY RESOLVED IT !
    I WANT TO THANK VETERANS ADVANTAGE, AND UNITED FOR RESOLVING PROBLEMS IN A SHORT TIME AND I WANT TO ALSO SAY THANK YOU TO ROY ASFAR FOR YOUR ATTENTION TO DETAIL ! AGAIN IM SORRY VETERANS ADVANTAGE, AND UNITED FOR NOT GIVING YOU A CHANCE TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM I HAD WITH OUT TRYING TO TALK TO YOU FIRST ! DUANE GARCIA

• Ge
    Genaz Mar 09, 2013

I was solicited by Veterans Advantage in December 2012, advising me of their special offer. If I signed up as a member, I would receive a free companion airline ticket. It is now March 2013, and I still have not received it. After calling a couple times, they advised me that I should receive within a few weeks.

If I do not hear if resolution soon, will be cancelling my membership.

• Rj
    rj1011 Dec 04, 2012

I love this blog...

• Du
    DUANE GARCIA Sep 05, 2012

I want all my fellow veterans to know and to become aware of the air travel discount on united is not a discount at all !!! After 15 times trying to book a flight using the veterans advantage card with no success I ended up booking through a discount company. After talking with lot airlines I was assured I would get my points for all the miles I went traveling from Denver to Doneskt Ukraine and back well surprise no points were awarded I was told that I should have just went to the airport and purchased my ticket from an agent instead and that points for air travel are not awarded after seven business days of the trip. So my fellow vets use this discount program service at your own risk ! As veterans advantage organization will give you the same run around as the airlines does. !!!Duane Garcia(Member number gr1603857) my membership with this organization is not worth what all they promote so becarefull.In other words this organization seems to promote discounts that don't exist or have so many restrictions you don't get the discount.

• Be
    betz Sep 03, 2012

I unfortunately signed up Aug 2. They didn't answer the phone although they were supposed to be open AND they took the cancel membership link down from the website and force you to call in. Well--It's Labor Day weekend and they are closed. sigh.

• Ct
    Ctown1981 Jul 14, 2012

If it looks like, walks like or sounds like a duck... most likely it is a duck. I remember, a couple years ago, looking into buying an Amtrack ticket. I also remember seeing an advertisement for a Veterans Advantage and I didn't like the smell of it then either. I just went back to their site and I saw nothing about it so I googled "Amtrack Veterans Discount" and it brought me to the Veterans Advantage site. What a load of bologna! More like Veterans getting taken Advantage of. The leaders of that organization should be ashamed of what they do for a living. Get a life and stop leaching off of those of us that put ours on the line for your pathetic excuse for a job. One last note to my fellow vets. Any time we sign up for a "veteran" privilege, do we not have to prove it in some way? I went almost all the way with this one just to see if they even asked for an I.D. or a DD-214. I hope none of them have actually sent those in on their own. Who knows what else has happened to them.

• Di
    DisappointedVet May 21, 2012

I just heard about this program today. I agree that veterans have given enough for this country, and the last thing we should have to do is pay money to get discounts. I served 6 years in the army, and 2 of those were spent in Iraq and Afghanistan. I feel that I shouldn't have to pay someone for the privilege of getting discounts. If this company really cared about vets, they would offer this card for free. They are just taking advantage of us by making us feel like we are getting a deal.

• Us
    USAF-Vet Apr 25, 2012

I have the membership and fine it odd that in the entertainment section the URL change from veterans advantage.com to working advantage.com which proclaims providing employee discount and reward programs to corporations nationwide.
    Yet when I actually tried logging in it wanted my Email and Password but wouldn't take them. So I put my email in to have my password sent and it told me my email want on file yet they send me emails. Kind of wired to me of the site intermixing but not completely !

• Se
    seanseansean Jan 31, 2012

Hi, I am thinking of getting a Veterans Advantage card. I live in Europe (stationed here), but going to the states in July for a belated honeymoon. I have been reading and rereading about the services and it seems to me that the 200 dollar purchase for five years is worth it - because a 15% discount on my one-week hotel stay would make up for the membership fee right away! Also I figure I will travel back to US at least three more times in the next five years and this would give me savings on rental cars, and hotels. I realize I am a little different than most on this site because they probably have family they can stay with - I actually don't have family or friends I would feel comfortable spending more than two-days with because I am big on not imposing. I have read the complaints here. I don't care about the $5 processing fee complaint or DVD. The complaint that this is a "glorified book of discounts" pointing you to specials that already exist may be true - but that was refuted by another person that said looking for all those discounts takes time and like them I am not a person that can dedicate hours on hours to coupon hunting! Someone said they get more benefits from the American Legion (but did not elaborate - please do if you think the Legion offers better benefits - I want to know about them)! I see no one has refuted the free accident and death insurance - those sound good to me, not exactly chump change! Anyhow I would just like someone who is dissatisfied to really give a credible complaint that makes me think twice before buying this card. Convince me this would be a mistake! I plan to purchase this card soon if not. Sincerely - Sean. ps- No, I am not an employee of Veterans Advantage (lol) - just very interested in purchasing this card because the deals sound good - but I don't want to have buyers remorse. Also, if you are like me, comfort me in making my potential decision to buy it. Cheers.

• Me
    Member Services Jan 17, 2012

Veterans Advantage has been a membership fee supported benefits program for over 10 years, founded by U.S. military veterans and represented by a board of distinguished and highly decorated veterans. The member fee model has long been in existence for other veteran and military organizations, even those chartered by the U.S. government. See more details at member fees on our public web site: http://bit.ly/jOUqzX

We wanted to address your questions below, as we continue to monitor these boards, reminding members that we do have web, email and toll-free support to answer your questions on all subjects directly and promptly:

1. Companion airline certificate: This is a benefit provided free with your membership which has an average value of more than $200, good for travel throughout the Continental United States. We are sorry that you somehow never received yours, since this is a very popular benefit. We encourage you to call our toll-free call center: 1-866-VET-ASSIST [protected]) to review your account history and resolve your issues promptly. Unfortunately, because this forum allows anonymous postings, we cannot respond to you regarding your issues, even though you acknowledge it is a two-year old case that may not have been brought to our attention. You should also have received your membership Welcome Kit with printed color Benefit Directory, which fully details how to contact us to get support on any of your membership questions by toll free phone, by email or by mail as well as contact information for all our benefit partners.

2. Free benefits: We agree that there are benefits you should be receiving because you earned them from government supported programs. We want our members to fully understand them and take advantage of what they deserve to get. Our program delivers information services to inform you what you are entitled to receive in Federal, State and Local benefits, and unique editorial content of interest to our members. We also provide regular updates on your benefits from Washington, and information on charitable programs that have established their own unique benefits to help military and veteran families.

3. Benefits of a paid Veterans Advantage Card: Our card members save much more than they pay in annual member fees. We offer the opportunity for 30-day trial of the program, which allows new members to test the benefits and get savings over a full month from all our benefit partners. We have highlighted some of these valuable benefits below:

* Included with membership: Over $800 in Bonus Benefits that do not require members to make an additional purchase --$55, 000 in travel and accident insurance coverage, prescription discount plan, complimentary financial planning, free Club O membership which provides free shipping and 5% savings from Overstock ($20 Club O fee savings annually) which are described on the home page of our website, www.VeteransAdvantage.com.

* Leading providers that give back: Our benefit partners provide discounts that are special thanks for serving the country and are easily accessible everyday savings on the web, via toll free phone or in store locations. For example, Continental/United Airlines, the world’s largest airline, is a benefit partner providing 5% off on an unlimited number of tickets annually with no blackout dates, and Verizon Wireless service discounts for voice and data -- for a smartphone user, that saves a minimum of $125 a year – far in excess of the annual member fee. There are many other valuable discounts from the nation’s top patriotic companies including Dell, Apple, Greyhound, Amtrak, Foot Locker, Overstock, Orvis, Target.com and Wendy’s among others, across categories that include travel, entertainment, shopping, health, and financial, and more than cover the member fee, often with a single purchase.

* Savings newsletter: In addition to full Welcome Kit containing instructions on how to access our benefits, we also find specific discounts for you and highlight them in our regular “Benefits Alert” e-newsletter, another benefit of membership to remind members of the tremendous savings their membership benefits afford. Listed below is but a handful of the valuable discounts we’ve recently highlighted in our newsletter, or heard have benefited our members:

$243.23 on a Dell XPS 15z Laptop
    $50.00 on a round-trip Amtrak ticket, Stamford, CT to Lynchburg, VA
    $30 on your tax preparation with Jackson Hewitt $100.20 on four ski lift tickets, Canyon Resort, Park City, Utah
    $40 on Eight AMC Gold Experience Movie Tickets at AMC Movie Theaters
    $35 on a $300 purchase from Sears.com
    $60 on an EXO Hardside 2-piece Luggage Set
    $90 on a Set of Taylor Made Burner Irons, Graphite Shaft, from The Golf Warehouse
    $30 XM Onyx Vehicle Satellite Radio Kit $29.80 A Pair of Men’s Hunting Boots from Orvis.com
    $230 On a MacBook Pro 15” notebook computer from Apple with Apple Care plan
    $33 On a pair of 6-inch Timberland Scuff-proof Boots from Foot Locker

As you can see, the program provides the opportunity to save hundreds of dollars annually. Once again, please contact us at 1-866-VET-ASSIST. We look forward to helping you and delivering the respect, recognition and rewards you have earned with your service to our country.

• Di
    Dixidude Jan 01, 2012

Appreciate all of the comments. Hard for me to see enough of an advantage to shell out $60 a year. Maybe if VA provided
    specific info on what discounts to expect from each corporate member (or the prominent ones at least), I'd listen more carefully to their pitch.

• Bi
    Bills Fan Nov 12, 2011

I joined Veterans Advantage when they were offering a free companion airfare through them. Well believe it or not i DIDNT get the companion airfare!! I could never get a hold of anyone to help. This was about 2 years ago. So my complaint is late, but nonetheless, i would and have and will RECOMMEND that people save their money and dont join! I have stopped people from joining and feel good that i am saving them money. Hope no one else falls into this trap!!

• Gi
    gitmo234 Oct 26, 2011

Why do veterans have to pay for a discount?

• Gi
    gitmo234 Oct 26, 2011

Why do we have to pay for a veterans discount? I thought the point of veterans discount were because we've paid enough.

• Ju
    Just4yall Oct 05, 2011

I believe that Veterans Advantage is a scam. I purchased it and used it 1 time. You know why? becuase they have the same discount code that are availible to everyone. All you have to do it search discount code on google for any store you are looking for and bam discount WITHOUT haveing to pay someone for it.

• Ju
    JudyNM Jul 26, 2011

I did pay for one year of Veterans Advantage, which I used zero times because I quickly learned they are a glorified printed booklet of discounts. To make a long story short, on June 14th I was charged $9.00 which I just learned was for new membership cards (WHO CHARGES FOR MEMBERSHIP CARDS!) and now I find a charge of $89.92 for another years membership. I called to say this was a problem and it seems in the fine print when you join it tells you this is a recurring membership. If they have us veterans best interest in mind they would be more understanding, when one gets up in age it's difficult to remember something like that or have the mind set to read the fine print in the first place. I got the same run around about sending me papers to fill out for a refund to be considered. So I found these complaints and then called my credit card company and they must know of this SCAM because they removed the charge.

JUST CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY IMMEDIATELY!

• Bl
    bluedenimblonde Jul 20, 2011

I signed up and received a email with my Veterans Advantage number, I read the email and in the FAQ section it said if you want to cancel call or click here. I decided to cancel online since I had signed up online. I filled out the information and selected "I wish to Cancel my membership" from the drop down menu. Three days later my CC was charge the $59.95 yearly fee. When I called and explained the situation, the woman explained that they do not accept cancellations online that it must be done by phone. When I read her my email and gave her the site address, she still seemed confused. I was placed on hold several times and then I was told that the site I was directed to was a customer service, question site, and was not intended for Cancellations. She then told me that they would mail me cancellation paperwork and once I completed it and returned it, they would process my refund. When I complained and mentioned the scam alerts I found here, she offered to process my CC refund immediately. I asked her why if it was possible for her to dothat why didnt she offer me that option in the beginning. Her only explanation was that it was "company policy". In a few says we will see if she actually did it.

• Fu
    fucnfgjki Jul 08, 2011

hi, look at your window...

• Ww
    wwilson1963 Jul 08, 2011

Where do the fees accrued by this organization go?
    Is there open disclosure?

• Ww
    wwilson1963 Jul 08, 2011

It would be nice to know the income that each of the board members acquires from letting Vet Adv use their names.

Is this intended to be a money making deal or a true service to Vets.
    The fact that it charges a fee makes it suspicious

Cherry Stevenson Jun 22, 2011

I am highly suspicious of the people who claim that they don’t know how they became members or why their Credit Card was charged. Let’s see-First, someone knows that you are a veteran, your branch of service and your service era. Hmm-m-m, Second-along with that they know your address and credit card information. Some of your friends or acquaintances may know some of that info but I would be willing to bet that only a significant other or a family member would know all of it. CLUE: You signed up to get the discount, charged the $4.95 on the CC and forgot to cancel before the 30 days were up. The fees are clearly explained, the phone number, address and webmail are easily located. Yes, intelligent people should read what they are signing up for, and be prepared to follow the process. As for the actual discount, I received as promised a discount from Continental Airlines, a discount that despite what others have implied would not have been available without the Veterans Advantage card number. I searched the net for “Coupon Codes” and none were available at the time.
    I actually received more than a 5% discount on my airline tickets. I don’t understand exactly how or what they figure the % on, but I tried reserving the flights with and without the code and the difference between the 2 was more than 5% off the ticket price including the tax and fees. The first time I purchased tickets the discount was 9.5% ($52.30) and the second it was closer to 7% ($28.00). Is it worth the $59 yearly fee? That depends on if you plan to fly or make multiple purchases from the companies offering discounts. It was for me. I fail to understand the problem; did you people want the discounts for free? Exactly how do you think that will work and for how long?

• Th
    thandor_nexus Dec 30, 2010

Veterans heard worse than that during thier service. He posted not as an employee but as a civilian that just happens to work for the company. Granted, cussing on the job is bad, but, he wasn't on the job. Whether someone is customer service or not, they are still human. Cussing is part of the human language... get over it.