Complaints & Reviews

Order of fireplace logs

On Nov.3, 2015 I placed an order with my local fireplace store Englands Wood Stoves in Maryville Tn.I paid...

The stove still hasn't been delivered

The company Vermont Castings scammed us. We found the stove and paid for it. The rep told us that it was great choice, but time went and we didn’t get the stove. The seller only promised and explained that they have worked a lot and needed more time to deliver the item. Unfortunately, it was big scam and we got nothing from them. But they continue to promise.

Fume belched and it was engineer fault

My husband offered me to buy stove or fireplace from Vermont Castings. We bought stove, but there was no fire and smoke belched from the stove. It was the manufacturing problem, but the rep told us to check the wood. But it wasn’t wet. We again contacted the rep, but he wasn’t happy to solve the problem and promised to contact us with the engineer, but still nothing was done. So, be careful and don’t buy stoves from this store.

Poor performance and dependability

I am writing about my Vermont Casting Winter Warm Small Insert, Model 2080, which I purchased on November 6, 2008, from Higgins Energy Company in Barre, MA. I am totally disappointed in the performance and dependability of this stove. In my view, this not the fault of the dealer, but is an issue with the manufacturer and clams surrounding the unit.

This stove has not performed according to your claims. Your website states that this stove will heat 1000 square feet and had long overnight burn times. This has not been my experience. I find that this stove will not hold a fire for more than 3 or 4 hours, no matter how I manage it. However, this is not my primary complaint with the stove.

Shortly after our stove was installed (by a professional mason), the glass broke. I thought this might be a defective piece of glass and reported the problem to Higgins Energy. They replaced the glass at no charge. However, within 2 months, the glass broke again, in exactly the same place. I believe the clip system that holds the glass is not properly engineered. I took great care in installing the replacement glass by following the instructions in the owners manual. This past fall we again replaced the glass panel. Higgins Energy charged $316.43, a hefty price for a replacement glass panel. Again, I took special care in replacing the glass. After only about six weeks of use, the glass has now broken a fourth time, in the exact same location, radiating vertically from the clips closet to the door latch. I have babied this stove since the first glass panel broke, taking extreme care in closing the door slowly and carefully.

Obviously I cannot afford to replace the glass annually (or even more often) on this stove, and I do not believe I should have to. I spent a total of $1757.70 on the stove, $196.30 on the cast iron surround, and then the $316.43 for the second replacement glass. For this over $2000 expense, not to mention the cost for having it installed, I have a stove with a broken glass pane that does not heat anywhere near the space you claim, nor does it hold a fire for any significant period of time.

I had our fireplace opening and hearth completely rebuilt to the specifications for this stove. I love how it looks, but it performs poorly and is subject to repeated glass breakage. Unless you can address the glass breakage problem in a way that will not result in my having to replace the glass annually or even more frequently, I request that you take the stove back and refund all of my costs; the stove, the surround and the replacement glass. Even if you do this, we will still have to hire a mason, again, to refit our fireplace opening to accommodate a different insert.
Please pay attention to my request. Your brand has a good reputation, but this product is not satisfactory.

• Ot
    ott81 Aug 14, 2011

Terrible BBQ was not not happy from day !, hot spots and the " stainless " started to rust. Now the burner tubes have rusted off after 4 years and the company has gone out of business. No warranty.

• Cu
    custer Aug 29, 2011

I have a Vermont Castings direct vent Propane gas stove and it was installed in the center of my new super insulated home. It doesn't put out very much heat, it takes it over an hour to raise the temperature 3 degrees in my 15'x18'living room (9' ceiling). John Abilene Texas

• Tl
    TLeger52 Sep 09, 2011

Beware consumers

My girlfriend purchased a $1, 600 stove med size woodstove. It didn't make it one winter and the flue assembly crumbled. When openning the stove properly to load wood there's a back blast of flames and heat that reach the ceiling. The service techs looked at the stove and said they would be to fix the problem.They haven't been since or called. I guess they don't back Vt Castings.We spent good money on what we thought was a good product. Now we realize that Vt Castings can't back up there own product. We were duped and have 500 lbs of useless cast iron in our house. NOT HAPPY WITH PRODUCT OR SEVICE!!! BEWARE CONSUMERS!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices