United Readers ServiceIllegal Solicitation - FCC Communications Act of 1934

Please make sure you do a google search for "United Readers Service" as there have been many complaints. Check out the 2007 citation for breaking the Communications Act of 1934.

This company, under its many different pseudonyms, has been investigated by the Federal Trade Commission numerous times. (Notice it says “The order prohibits American Readers from giving future assistance to deceptive telemarketers and from other violations of the Telemarketing Sales Rules”. They share an address with American Readers. In fact, they are one and the same company. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/10/amer-mul.htm http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/10/multinet.htm

I was able to successfully cancel an order obtained through dubious means. They contacted me on my cell phone that was on the Do Not Call List of Wisconsin and I therefore thought they were legit. $39.90/month for 4 years of magazines? 1, 915.20 on magazines. Please.

• Cn
    CNOpitz Feb 01, 2010

I have been dealing with URS for almost a year. They have been making harassing phone calls. From the first phone call I have asked them what they are charging me for. They have never told me what or when I supposedly ordered. I honestly don"t know what they are talking about. They have told me that it was over the phone that it was in 2004 and also 2006 and that I had made 2 payments on my credit card and then stopped. I looked back in my records and there is nothing on my credit statements and nothing in my checkbook. When I told them that I don"t do business over the phone and that we have been on the Do Not Call list they insisted th have my voice on tape. When I asked what magazines I supposedly ordered they could not tell me. I said thet I dont remember ever getting anything that I hadn"t paid for and why didn"t they send me anything in the mail. When I asked them to send me something in writing and that I would not give them any information over the phone because as far as I knew they were trying to scam me they hung ujp on me. Now they are threatening to take me to small claims court in Florida. I still am unsure of what they are talking about. can they actually take me to court without ever proving that I ever ordered from them? I think they waited this long thinking that I would not have my records. I tried telling them that I would never order from them because I fell for their scam in the "80 "s and that is why I never do business over the phone. They actually hung up on me that time too.

• Fr
    frustratedconsumer1 Sep 11, 2009

I have been abused by United Reader Service as well. My economic situation did change and I explained that to URS. They were very rude on the phone and said I still had to pay...I am not able to pay. I explained that we had some unforeseen medical bills. I had filed complaints with them over the past year because I did not get all of my magazines I had paid for...very hard to deal with on any issue. I just asked for a manager name and phone number. Mindy Busick was the service person harrassing me and then she told me to call Stacy Conners at [protected] extension 418 it was a generic person answering the pone and they would not identify what company I was calling. Very strange procedure to me!!! Do not buy from United Reader Service. They do not provide magazines as ordered and they do not cancel subscriptions when you ask them to due to economic hardship. I agree with prior remark that we as consumerd do have the right to cancel what we do not want or cannot afford. I wish I would have read this complaint board before I ever did business with United Reader Service.

• Cl
    Claudia Pullman Sep 10, 2009

This is ssto address eprice1981's remark.
    If you order something you should be able to cancel. If you don't pay they shouldn't send more magazines. If they send after you cancel it's their fault. You shouldn't have to pay for something you don't want. And besides, all of the complaintants said they never signed an agreement or contract with them. You should have the right to cancel what youdon't want and can't afford. Situations change especially with this Economy. People have a hard time putting food on their tables or keep their homes. I really don't think Magazines are on their priority lists right now. Simple solution, Stop paying, they'll stop sending. There are too many loop holes for companies like this one to get away with braking the law. Someone should do something about this kind of business practice. DO NOT CALL means DO NOT CALL. How do they gat away with this????

• Ep
    eprice1981 Aug 02, 2009

I've had a service with this company for many years. I have never had a problem receiving my magazines, and I have only been charged EXACTLY what I agreed to pay. People with buyers remorse suck! They try to bad mouth a good company because they don't want to fulfill their agreements with a company so they bad mouth them. Why do people order things and think they don't have pay for them?

• Ih
    ihatefraud Jul 09, 2009

I also am in this same boat where they refuse to cancel my order, and I would like to know the UT laws on this! Fraudulent people SUCK!!!

• Ni
    nikkola Jun 19, 2009

I'm dealing with this company also and i canceled on time and there still trying to collect money and they said they never recieved a cancelation they convently recieved it later than the 10 day, and only 10 days to cancel, WHAT it took them 2 week to send me my mags. I would like to know the CA. laws on this?

• Sq
    squeezebox Apr 27, 2009

This company says they are legit, but they are far, far, far from that! I sent them an email threatening them I'd file complaints all over the world if I have to and demanded they refund my money.
    I received an email from them (quite surprisingly) they would refund my $39.90 and cancel.
    I've closed my bank account, saved the email and am waiting 3-5 days. If no refund, I have it in writing, I'll take em down!