UDRdon't rent from any of udr properties

I rented from this company and it was a living nightmare. They care nothing about you. All they care about is keeping a unit occupied. I wrote letter after letter, called the police on numerous occasion because of noisy tenants and I was told I needed proof that they were noisy. The tenants below and beside me slammed doors all hours of the night and played very loud music and the rental office did nothing. Very thin walls, you can hear your neighbors talk. They billed me for .09 cents after I always rounded my water bille UP to the next dollar. I finally asked to be let out of my lease. Then the kicker. They tried to charge me $100.00 for a satelite dish that was there when I moved in. They put my notice to vacate on the noisy neighbors door. They won't respond to calls or emails. I went to the regional office in Alexandria after moving out and the satelite ordeal and the regional manager Scott Hobbs would not come out to speak to me. Jerome Best and his assistant Antoine at Dominion Lake Ridge are the worst. I thought I was the only person there with problems. I have spoken with neighbors and they are moving to due to poor customer service. One neighbor is being charged for water damage because the valve on the toilet broke overnight while she was sleeping and they said she dropped the back of the toilet top on it. The toilet top popped off due to the pressure when the valve broke. She had complaints about the same noisy neighbors as they would leave my building and go above her and make noise. And I needed proof. Don't move there. Don't rent from any of UDR properties!!! You will regret it.

• Ha
    habonaby Feb 12, 2009

Oh my goodness! If you only knew what my daughter has gone thru while living at a UDR property! She's desperately trying to get out of her lease but to know avail. They keep demanding all these made up charges and threatening to take her to court if she doesn't pay them. Then, someone was kicking down her front door trying to get into her apartment and damaged her door in the process. Not only did they do nothing for her safety but they charged her for the door!!

Maggie73 Oct 05, 2020

@habonaby What was the resolution? I am currently dealing with issues in Texas

Mizhani Feb 18, 2009

They are the worst. I am currently going through a battle with them about the water bill. In the end, I am sure justice will prevail.

mixer Apr 01, 2009

Udr is unreal... I am trying to finish off final bills with them after a short six month stay and they are adding all sorts of extra things on the settlement... I have tried to talk to managers of the property and their bosses... the property manager just hangs up on me and the higher up the line just ignore my calls... they have now turned this phony bill over to a collection agency and I am in an impossible situation... stay away from udr especially laurelwood in magnolia tx... the propertyy is a high class slum with lots of rules and no enforcement... these people are impossible to deal with

• Ba
    Bad Biz Finder Jun 10, 2009

Hello everyone -- regarding UDR, we are a consumer advocacy group, Bad Biz Finder, that announced this week the formation of a Federal Class-Action Lawsuit againstLandlord, UDR, on behalf of California tenants.

See: http://badbizfinder.wordpress.com.

One of the causes of action for the lawsuit is UDR's illegal RUBS (Ratio Utility Billing System) formula that is illegal and constitutes UDR "selling enegry and water without being a utility) - very serious charge in that is in violation of the Public Utilities Commission.

There are a total of 7 causes of action. Email me at [protected]@aol.com if we can help. We are also helping folks in other states but we can only file one class action lawsuit at a time.

• Sl
    slumlords Oct 07, 2009

This is a nightmare! I have just moved into one of there apts. in Plano, Texas and I have tried working with the mgt. company about my move in and concessions that I was supposed to received on moving in and it was all a lie. They lied straight to my face. They are all very rude, stupid, irate did I say stupid, ok I did so I said it again. You are so right Bad Biz Finder...the property is a high class slum! They won't make there maintain or yard people pick up the dog poop that has been on the sidewalk or next to the sidewalk forever. I do many large amounts of dog poop! We also have ant beds on every corner pile up as high as your ankle and no one if doing anything about that also.

These people are impossible to deal with or even have a meaningful conversation with. I would like to do whatever I can do to get these slum lords and make them pay for all of what we have endured. I will email you with my information to help get something started here in Texas.

• Sl
    slumlords Oct 07, 2009

Hey I went to the website http://badbizfinder.wordpress.com and nothing was there. What up with that?

• Ab
    Abused UDR Tenent Nov 29, 2009

As a current UDR "victim" here in North Texas I can agree with the sentiments on this board 100%. Though I have no problem with the staff at this particular complex, the corporate mantra and overly-aggressive balls-to-the-wall billing and collection policies are way past what's acceptable in a civil society. In fact, I believe they violate the Texas Landlord Tenent Act and numerous Federal Laws and regulations including Executive Order 1289.

I am actively petitioning HUD and the Texas Attorney general to investigate (if not sanction and penalize) UDR for these predatory and predudicial practices.

Spread the word. AVOID UDR PROPERTIES AT ALL COST!!!

• Er
    erpnmv22 Apr 07, 2010

I live in a UDR property in Central FL and I havent had any of these problems. Whenever theres an issue I go straight to the leasing office and management takes care of it. I was in a very bad situation with my previous landlord (a slumlord) and had to move and move quick to get my children out of that bad enviroment. This was the only place where I was able to move in within 3 days. The only problem that I have had so far was lack of parking spaces and slamming doors. But other than that I cant complain. They are very friendly, have dounuts and coffee for us for free every saturday in the office and once a month for those whom have a birthday that month they have cake and coffee in the office for them at a certain date that month. Well I guess I do have one other minor complaint and thats the playground isnt located in the best of spots on the property its about a 10x10 little playground and its in the middle of the parking lot. I have a tot and a baby so its pointless for us to go there. So i guess its all as to where your located as to how u get treated. but Mallards isnt all that bad at all.

• Mr
    Mr. Johnson Bland Sep 02, 2010

I have been living at a UDR property for about 3 years now in Woodbridge and it's been very nice. I haven't had any issues and the only time the maintenance has been inside my apartment is to change out my filters. I've had some issues with different neighbors, but the management seems to respond quickly and everything ended up being fine. I will probably renew my lease here because it is affordable and quiet.

• To
    TonyKWRP Sep 03, 2010

They are the worst. I am currently going through a battle with them about Termites. I have Queen Termites flying around my apartment. They Are coming through the vent in my bathroom. I have killed over 100 of them. They are telling me that its a "NUISENCE". I have a 1 yr old and a 5 yr old I am concerned for the health and well being of my kids. I will be Calling my local health department first thing tomorrow morning. I am so frustrated with Susan, Marie, Monique, Victor here at Villas At San Dimas Canyon. I wouldnt recommend this place to anybody unless you dont mind a sliding glass door not locking, a toilet leaking, Ac breaking down on you in the middle of summer, and killing termites on your day off.

• Ly
    lynda ross Feb 04, 2011

I too have had the same issues with UDR and more.
    Living here in towson, md. not even 6 weeks, I have been to court twice now.
    They first gave me three different amounts for my rent. I emailed them 27 times, yes 27 asking for a lease so I could have the correct amount. I was told there new computer software was giving them issues and they were unable to provide me with one. Then I received three emails again with three different amounts! They then had a nerve to take me to court with late fees and court costs when the only thing I was trying to do was pay my rent. Of course I did win in court but it should never have went that far.
    Then the weekend we moved the freight elevator was broke. We had to carry our things a little less than a quarter of a mile and I had to pay a little over a thousand dollars to hire additional help on a emergency basis! When I complained to them I was told I would be "compensated" for January's rent. As stated in all my emails no response at all until 1/12/2011 and still that email dd not address the compensation issue.
    It's sad I started emailing them on January the 1st and I receided no response until January the twelth. I also received no lease until January the 16th. Still no response about compensation and this is February the 3rd.
    I also had a list for several items to be repaired.Not one was addressed until after we went to court and they received their rent.
    A Professional Company? I don't think so. Petty? Very much so! I also don't understand the water bill. They divide it between all the residents? Is this legal?
    This place is expensive to get this type of unprofessional service.
    That is a understatement!! I can't wait to move out of here!!
    I knew I wasn't alone!

• Sh
    shylonn May 21, 2011

wish i had read these before moving in a UDR property in Virginia Beach, Va. First of all parking is a joke. there are more vistors parking than anything...me and my husband have to park two or three blocks away sometimes because we only get one space which our work trailor is parked becasue they wouldnt let us put it in a visitors space. So now we are sitting ducks. Becasue I complained about this often, they resprayed all the spaces, with no changes of course, but skipped over our spot. i cant believe how childish and the lack of manager skills. The floorboard throughout the whole apt are week. sounds like you're gonna fall thru the floor at any giving minute. I know I live in an apt, but the walls are soooo thin, if I go in my bathroom, I can hear average level conversations. Even when me and my husband want to be intimate in the privacy of our home, we have to shut the bathroom and bedroom door and turn the radio on just to feel secure. When you complain all they do is look at you as if they only have a first grade education.

UdrVictim Oct 08, 2011

I am having a terrible experience with UDR at their complex in nn, va(forestlakes). Now you can only pay rent online with a credit card. I paid mine online on 10/1/2011 and got confirmation number. On the 3rd, my money was still in my account so i called them and asked why they have not taken their payment. They said it take s24 to 72 hours to process sometimes. On the 5th, the money is still in my account. I call them for them only to tell me that they claim my bank sent the payment back as nsf (which i a $75 FEE!!) ANd that now i am also considered LATE.!!AND am told to call my bank which i did and they have no record of udr ever even attempting to get a pymt from me so they r lieing abt my bank sendind it back as msf cuz my money is obviously in my account ad has been there. i have had to have my bank email them several different documents showing this, only for them to still tell me that is not good enough! i want out!! What to do cuz im only 3 mths into my lease?

• Je
    Jewels22 Feb 24, 2012

Let me know of any potential class action lawsuits in Texas. This management company needs to be stopped. They particularly prey on single moms and young people.

• Me
    Merru Mar 05, 2012

I had the same thing happen to me around that same period of time UdrVictim (it must have been a site wide problem) -

Only I "paid" my rent a few days in advance...The 1st rolled around, and I was concerned because they hadn't taken my money, and it was still in my bank account as well.

Just like you, I called my bank and was also informed that they didn't even attempt to take my money. I was told the EXACT same thing you were, albeit I didn't think that their "it takes 24-48 hours" mumbo jumbo was acceptable, so I pressed the envelope.

I ended up getting it straightened out with the leasing office by calling their corporate office to complain about it.

As far as what everyone else is saying - Yes, I too have had a bad exp. with UDR.

The property in which I reside in Florida is terrible - walls are thin, bug problems (ants and roaches mainly), plugs slip / are loose, they didn't bother to change the carpet before we moved in, the water heater leaks on occasion, and both toilets were running when we moved in... the counter tops in the kitchen are warped, and the appliances are anything but "updated" they're models from the '80s albeit in nice condition... the neighbors are terribly noisy, and the crime is RAMPANT - and they NEVER catch the perps, you can also often hear gun fire at least once a week.

In fact, we just got another gate because the cops rammed down the last one with their cruiser. This complex has a bad problem with muggings and carjackings - never mind the lady they found bound and gagged behind our building after being raped last year.

I want to break my lease in the worst way, but don't want to pay the termination fees even though I fear for my families safety. Thankfully our lease is almost up (we have to give 2 month notice in writing by May 17th - otherwise the lease AUTO RENEWS!

That's another thing to watch out for...If you don't give them 60 days notice from the end date of your lease that you won't be renewing it will auto renew - and who knows how much your rate will go up.

I think 60 days is excessive and auto renew is ridiculous...They can't keep people in this place...I watch people leave in droves, and I can't wait to be one of them.

• Fo
    Former UDR Resident Dec 07, 2012

Do not lease property from UDR. I leased from Crescent Falls Church and all of the experiences expressed here are true. They are completely inflexible with respects to lease terms. I am surprised that they have not changed their business practices given all the complaints and lawsuits.

• Ve
    veranda68 Jan 25, 2013

Does anyone know who manages there properties. Does UDR do it themselves or do they use a third party company?

• Ny
    Ny2socal87 May 27, 2013

I lived here for a month and a half. After several issues with the property management (UDR) and the insure management company. I decided to move and asked to be let out of my lease. After much battle I moved out before my lease ended and left hem a written notice and delivered it straight to their office. They of course had no record or recollection of this and a couple weeks after I moved out sent me a $22, 000 bill for breaking my lease! I went to my old aptartment to clean up and check mail on a weekly basis and there was NO pay or quit notice OR any EViction notice. I highly suggest NEVER RENTING ANY OF THESE APARTMENTS ESPECIALLY 2775 Previously known as Villa Genetia in Cista Mesa, CA

Miranda77 Sep 24, 2013

This was a letter that I sent to UDR after we were told our lease was not being renewed. NEVER RENT FROM A UDR PROPERTY AGAIN!!

First and foremost, when we came to see these apartments before agreeing to move in, we were shown a model that was certainly not what we were given. We addressed the fact that there was a bait and switch (something that has been brought to my attention by other residents as being common practice here). Upon moving in, we found that there were MANY things wrong with our apartment.

The refrigerator had many missing pieces, which I will agree was replaced shortly thereafter. However, the replacement refrigerator had a defective ice maker. Also, the doors were installed backwards. I addressed it with Wilson, who was the maintenance manager at the time. They sent someone to fix the doors and "attempt" to repair the ice maker. I was advised that a new one was to be ordered and indeed it was. A maintenance worker came to install it and, not surprisingly, it did NOT work. They stated that it may be the water line. So, they went a purchased a new water line. They came and installed the water line and it still did not work. After several other attempts, I finally got tired of having people in here who could not get things done right and decided to look at it myself. Low and behold...the maintenance worker NEVER TURNED THE WATER LINE ON. This appeared to work for approximately a month or two. Then, once again, the ice maker stopped working. A new maintenance worker came in and looked at it. He said that he was going to order another one and come in to replace it. I even told him to feel free to come in when I was not here so he can work on it. Well, he NEVER came and still...NO ICE MAKER. This, though, is the tip of the iceberg.

When we moved in, we were in disbelief of how the thermostat wiring was done. It was a complete rig and blatant code violation. We addressed this with maintenance, office, management, and even UDR headquarters. Someone came in and installed a new thermostat. Well, not surprisingly, it DID NOT work. Luckily, Daniel is AC certified and did AC work in Miami, so he fixed it himself. However, the wire was still out of code. After months of discussion and false promises of having someone come in, someone was subcontracted and fixed the wire to bring it up to code.

The next dilemma was the issue with the cabinets. The kitchen cabinets were in deplorable condition and were completely moldy. This situation was the biggest headache for me because a quick fix was the recommended solution; just repaint them. Someone came in and repainted the cabinets. Once again, the job was done so poorly that you could see the dried up paint dripping and paint did NOT cover the mold. i mentioned my allergy to mold, advised of the health concern that I had with these cabinets, contacted the maintenance manager (which at this time was a new gentleman), contacted the Community Director, which was someone else at the time too (Joy, perhaps), and contacted UDR Headquarters. After months, and months, and months of attempts, finally they were replaced and I was very appreciative of that.

Another concern that I addressed was the problem with the water pressure in the master bathroom. I contacted on many occasions regarding low water pressure in the master shower. You would either take a scalding hot shower or none at all. It took someone weeks to come look at this. Someone would repair it and two months later we were in the same situation. Someone came and fixed it again. However, just a few days ago it started happening again. I was getting ready to send a request until I found out about not being offered a renewal.

Another problem we addressed, which I am sure is one of the main reasons we are not being offered a renewal is because of our concern with the gates in the community. Late 2012, the gates were broken for several weeks at a time. We addressed our concern, as we pay for a gated community for a reason...added safety and security. On two occasions we had someone trespass onto the property to harass me. The last time it happened was on December 23, 2012. This date, someone trespassed onto the property and attacked me. This caused me to have severe anxiety and a complete panic attack requiring 2 days of hospitalization. I spoke with police regarding this and pressed charges against the individual. However, it did not result in any arrests. One of the reasons I was told was that when this person came on to the property, the gates were broken and wide open. I went to the leasing office and addressed this with them and received nothing more than an apology and a false promise that it would get repaired as soon as possible. There came a time where the gate was broken for over a month. At some point, Daniel and I wrote an email stating that if the gate would not be fixed as soon as possible, a class action lawsuit would be brought, as we are paying for a gated community and our security is being compromised.

At this point, I feel that the reason we are not being renewed stems from one of two things:
    1. Los Altos simply does not want to deal with residents who request too much work of them. Especially, when wrongdoings is pointed out to them and a class action lawsuit is mentioned.
    2. Los Altos wants us to leave the apartment so they can renovate this apartment and rent it out a higher rate.
    Quite frankly, if the latter is the true motive, I can respect that much more than some excuse as to why they do not want to renew. Furthermore, before I knew their reason as to why they do not want to renew, I had discussed the matter with Daniel and had come to an agreement that we would have been willing to move to a renovated one, even if it was at a slightly higher rate and return this one to allow for renovations.

The fact that they are claiming that Daniel has been verbally abusive to them is absolutely absurd. I will not deny that he has been upset, has voiced his opinion, has had several disagreements with them regarding all of the hassles that we have had to deal with, and has mentioned the incompetence of certain staff members will not be denied. However, if there was ever any offense taken regarding how he has communicated with staff member, this should have been addressed earlier and a solution to rectify could have been discussed. I believe this is very cowardly and an extremely unethical business practice. I truly feel that this is Los Altos's way of taking posession of this apartment in order to renovate and rent at a higher fee. As mentioned before, I can respect that, as everyone is in the business of making money. However, I will have greater respect and appreciation if we are told the truth. If this is indeed because of the alleged verbal abuse, then I would have most certainly appreciated being told when it occurred in order to rectify it.

I will have you know that Daniel and i have never been nuisance residents, we have never been late on our payments, and have even fixed things in the apartment ourselves because we simply did not want to deal with another work order request that would remain unfulfilled (we bought our own towel bars and shower curtain rods, as the master bath did not have any of these things)

i assure you that this matter will not remain without being reviewed by our attorney for legal advise as to what our legal rights are and what measures we can take to remedy the situation or be compensated. We are being unjustly forced to leave our apartment. Furthermore, it wasn't until I advised a gentleman at the office just a few days ago regarding the fact that we had not received a renewal offer that we were notified. Otherwise, I feel that this too would have been overlooked. Our lease is up on October 5th and we are just being notified. I understand that we have until the end of November to vacate, but this is still, what I feel to be, short notice.

Please understand that I would have been more than willing to sit down and discuss the matter and negotiate an alternative, but we are not being given a choice and therefore feel that we need to pursue legal action. I have attached my payment history so you can see that we have never paid late (with the exception of one time that we paid a day late and paid the late fees associated without a fuss). I would attach all of the serice requests, but oddly enough, I am now unable to access the link to even make a service request.

Please contact me to further discuss this matter, as I feel that this situation is completely unjust and without merit.

• Ny
    NYC UDR Tenant Apr 07, 2014

I'm currently filing a lawsuit against UDR as the management team broke into my apartment and stole over 27k in items but even more the violation and stress they put on me is priceless, but I plan on fighting this all the way to the supreme court if need be.

• Rh
    Rhonna Gajda May 14, 2014

I am just finding out about a collection bill from UDR (Vintage Lofts at West End in Tampa) 3 years later. I have lived in 3 different places and never even knew about this debt they claim I owe. I moved out 4 months before my lease. I spoke with the management office to figure out what the options were. They stated there was a waitlist for my unit and they would have it rented so I didn't need to worry about the lease. I just would lose my deposit, which I was ok with seeing that I was breaking the lease. Now I find out that there are over $5000 in charges. I called the collection agency and they stated that over $2000 of it was for estimated unitemized damages which was equal to 2 months rent. I stated that they could not charge me for rent since it was rented. And she stated that it was for estimated damaged. I said there were no damages and I wanted to see a list. I can't believe they could get away with such a bogus practice. There is no way I could have owed that much unless I put holes in the walls. It was left spotless. Maybe a carpet shampoo was in order, but that was it. She also informed me that this collection debt is racking up interest charges at 18%, which accounted for the $5000. I find this to be outrageous. I don't know what I can do at this point.

• Fu
    furiousatfiori Jul 05, 2014

They allowed a man named David Simonich to move in to our building after knowing he was charged with three felonies against minors. Mr.Simonich continued with the same inappropriate kind of behavior while living here and management did absolutely nothing to stop him. Nothing. It wasn't until he was finally convicted on the other charges and sent to prison that he "moved out". He had already been charged before he moved in here, but because they wanted to fill up their new property, they let him in regardless. They put every single minor on this property at risk! This man made no secret of his blatant drinking, drug use and constant attempts to engage minors. When the news came out about his history, I could not believe that they let him move in here. UDR are slumlords and a safe haven for criminals as long as the money keeps rolling in.

• Fr
    Frankie2011111 Jul 11, 2014

Sounds familiar where I live.
    It sounds like they're hurting for money.
    May I suggest a City Council Meeting in that town.
    We don't even have a housing dept where I live. Everybody has their hands in each other's pockets. All about money and discrimination against.
    Many developers are getting away with anything they want. Nevermind, you as a HUMAN BEING!
    Something has to be done!
    Thanks for sharing!

• Vi
    Victim5000 Aug 07, 2014

I swear they are the worst $100 for the first day late payment $15 dollars each day after that
    They are rude !!! They think they are above law . Dogs poops everywhere ! Ants inside
    Maintance slapy ! My water bill is $48 people with house 3 bed pay only $10 dollars for water !!! Water bills going up every month.discremination white in certain buildings browns with browns!!! To pay your bill you have to pay using a computer no night drop box.gym is sticky!! I m dragging those monkeys to court!!

• Ta
    Tanisha Jackson Nov 17, 2014

I was a tenet for 2 years always paid my bills on time and never had any complaints. I paid a 125.00 cleaning fee and had a walk through with a manager which instucted me to just replace my stove tops. After moving out with an account balacne of 0.00. I was charged for damage underneath the carpet. I am allergic to dog and cats so i never had any animals in my home. I have contacted the reginal manager and the complaint department. I was also out of water for 4 days because a pipe burst in September. I called them and they stated it was nothing they can do. i explained that was against the law and they advised me to call someone else. They not only took my 200.00 deposit they are charging me an additional 100.20 for underneath the carpet, something i have no control of. The carpet was not new when i originally moved in 2 years ago I filed 3 complaints indicating i needed new carpet and they reued to do so. While living there I had several issues with management using racial comments and indicating corporate doesn't entertain people like myself.After i gave them a notice i was moving out on A Friday that Monday They stated i had to pay 50.00 for a piece of paper UPS left on my door that flew out. After asking for someone above the manager and being hung up on several times i was left the voicemail "if i want the managers number so bad please contact me." Long story short i have not only been mistreated I am having a difficult time with understanding all the bogus charges. What they fail to realize is word of mouth is everythig and it starts with customer service.

• Ak
    Akyar Nov 18, 2014

I am living Calvert Walk Apt in Bel Air MD UDR running at management. They worst one. If you are late 1 week rent payments. Next day you are in Cort In 24 hours your furniture on street. And worst maintains they have.

• Ca
    CaliforniaUDR Nov 21, 2014

Anyone from California? I would like to gather residents together in order to file a class action law suit against UDR. If you have had maintenance to your unit ignored, improper repair to your unit, inappropriate and or unprofessional behavior from management, quit notices or evictions, please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com. There are legal resources available for those of us who are willing to stand up for our tenant rights. We're obviously not aline. Together we can exercise our tenant rights and bring about change!

MARK RYAN BDFF Dec 20, 2014

Big Dog FITNESS FACTORY* My name is Mark Ryan owner of BDFF IN Plano Teaxs.We are a small business that sells, moves, services weight lifting equipment.I was contacted by a client of mine that asked us to do work for Legacy Village Apartments in PLano Texas. We were introduced through email.With in a couple minute April Piero mngr of Legacy Village contacted us through email to come give her a quote to move weight equipment for her. I did, the I sent her a written proposal, her reply via email was PERFECT.Then she asked me to do one more service for her.I added it to her agreement and she said great bring it in tomorrow and she will sign it.Since both parties her and the other company told me this was a rush job as soon as she said PERFECT/COME IN AND SHE WILL SIGN I called my labor and trucker to hire them to do this job.I paid them $2, 100.00.I also let a client know that she wanted to use some of her equipment that I was moving as partial payment and they may be interested in some when I receive it.They were very excited.The next day she sent me a email not having the professionalism to call us but said she couldn't use us because she could not pay us through credit card.Since i was confused I attempted to contact her and she refused to respond to me.Then she said we need a certain type of insurance and when I emailed and called her to ask what was there specific requirements she again refused to contact me or reply to any emails.Her actions cost my business $2, 100 cash paid to my vendors, $4, 000 in sales of the equipment I had sold after I refurbished it and a customer that will not do business with us anymore do to her action.When calling her corp headquarters to get the insurance requirements they sent a email to her supervisor to contact us which never happened.Since all of this unfolded BGFF has decided to file small claim against the company and will ask the judge to take all her emails of confirmation into consideration as we will ask for the highest amount allowed in a small claim suit in Collin County which is $10, 000.00.These business practices are unethical and the manager should go to a management training course.I have over 20 years of upper mngt experience with over 2000 people under me.The way this company handles there residents and vendors is despicable.Not only will we put a complaint to the BBB but we will bring all her emails from her to me and all the complaints about UDR which I have found on various websites.I believe if her supervisor contacted us as asked mant times this all of could of been handled in a professional way and court filings and all of these negative remarks about her company would of occurred.Although the court file number will be available public with in a couple days this letter will be mailed to her corp office via certified mail.Our company gives part of our proceeds to help support the WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT and one of our partner companies helps support a local breast cancer foundation.Anyone needing more information about this can contact me at [protected]. Mark Ryan

• Up
    Upset in RVA Jan 18, 2015

I wish I would have read these complaints before renting. I am now "stuck like chuck" for a year. I can relate to a couple of these complaints and I have only been a tenant since 11/21/14.

• Re
    Resident ames pond Feb 05, 2015

WOW... It seems to be the norm for these people. Ames pond in tewksbury is no different. Parking being the worst of all the problems. And they could care less... I, m done trying to resolve issues with mngmt bunch of young unprofessional zombies. I, m outta here in a few months. Can't wait to see what stunts they pull when I leave... So to wrap it up STAYAWAY from UDR

mikie.p Apr 15, 2015

Hi i used to be a tenant at TEN20 in Bellevue WA. no need to describe how was my living experience since all of you seems to familiar with their staff already. its like...talking to a brick wall. I've been living there for 2 years and when i moved out the sent me the repair bills for what i didnt do which cost around $15, 950. they changed almost everything in the room and claimed they' were damaged etc. and their prices are way too high compare to market prices. For example, the hardwood floor that were damaged because they never fix their laundry machine properly and water been coming out of it. when i tried to get home depot to estimate and replace the floor. the maintenance guy at UDR said i cant use home depot wood, they must be special custom made from German and promised me to get the quote so i can give to insurance company. no one ever show up even when me and my girlfriend went to property manager..no one show up and they want me to pay that amount. when i asked for the receipt from contractor. they sent me the estimated ones instead of the actual receipts.so i sent email to the UDR HQ and almost everyone in that unholy leasing office. without any reply from them..i got an email said they review my bills and reduced it to around $12, 220. its been almost 3 months and i havent get any real receipt from them. i got a few questions..

- can they make fake receipts?
    - can they make contractor help them with their ripoff bills? [pretty sure contractors get to buy stuff at lower prices]
    - what are my choices to fight back?
    - they collected $100 from every tenant to pay for the security after many cars have been broke into and stole some stuff
    this happened quite a lot at TEN20 and many of us saw Mr.Security on 2 times then no more. there are around 220 rooms at our
    building and another 200 at Ashton building[we shared same leasing office]. so 420 x $100 = $42, 000 for Mr. Invisible Security

please let me know if there are any lawsuit in Washington i'll be more than happy to join. they need to be stopped.
    Mikie
    can be reach: [protected]@hotmail.com

UDRisterrible Jun 23, 2015

If anyone in Philadelphia is reading this, I have similarly been charged with a bunch of improbably 'lease violations', and my roommates and I have also been charged for a bunch of stuff we didn't actually do, but paid for just so they would leave us alone. If anyone wants to file suit against them I will happily provide testimony of the extent to which they discriminate against minorities, and terrorize residents instead of being reasonable.

UDRisterrible Jun 23, 2015

Terrible company, and apparently the building manager in PA is out to get students and minorities who live here. Completely outrageous.

• Mb
    mbburnett Aug 03, 2015

ATTENTION TO THE UPPER MANAGEMENT OF UDR FOR CIRCLE TOWERS, FAIRFAX, VA.
    We have lived at Circle Towers, Fairfax, VA for over 3 years. We love the apartment size and layout. The management is easy to work with and address our concerns in a very timely manner. However, our 3 buildings are very outdated. When the building was completed in the early 70’s this complex was “state of the art, ” and attracted those who could afford the higher cost to live here. Over the years the complex is steadily declined to what have become rundown and needs a face lift. The outside looks great and very well kept. I wish the public halls, elevators, paint, and carpet were as nice as the outside, which it is not. The best I could say about the inside of the buildings resemble those of government projects in the larger cities. Many areas need new everything, (i.e. elevators, washers/dryers, carpets, paint, new front doors, etc…….) This complex could attract those with money to have a beautiful and safe place to call home. Since I am a baby boomer, I have the funds to live most anywhere in Fairfax but I like our apartment. I would be happy to pay more to live in once known as luxury apartments……ATTENTION-----Upper management let’s put money into restoring this area to attract paying tenants and businesses. It is a great place to live in our apartment. NOW LETS MAKE THE INSIDE BETTER TO GET BOOMERS WHO HAVE MONEY TO SPEND. Give our management team the funds needed to keep this area appearing to all. Thanks

• Ra
    razika Sep 14, 2015

I'm so disguested by this place, this is not even funny !!! the amount of money that I am paying is a complte joke fot this stupid infested place!!! Please help!! Razika [protected]...

• Es
    esnichols Sep 18, 2015

This is a lovely place to live as long as you know up front what you will be dealing with, namely:

- An overworked front office with little to no management support. They often can't help you with many issues you may have. It's not their fault. Have patience.
    - Limited parking options. You get one parking spot per bedroom. You can pay for an additional spot. Also- know the parking rules and follow them. You won't be towed if you follow the rules.

My personal experience with this community was overall neutral- some things were really annoying, like when they refused to accept my wedding gifts when I was on my honeymoon and returned them all back to the senders. Other things were really great- like the pool parties they used to throw. Now that we've moved out (8/31/15) the situation has deteriorated at a speed I can't even fathom.

We did a pre-move out inspection and a final move-out walk-through and no issues were brought to our attention in either of those circumstances of items we may be charged for. We left the apartment in really good condition (and have photos to prove it) and felt good about our 16 months there. This week (9/15/15) we received an invoice for what amounts to an additional $660 that we owe. We were shocked at this figure and asked to see invoices and documentation accounting for all the charges. Once we received the information, we were then told the person who signed off on our paperwork, who approved all the charges- Blaire Melatti- does not speak to anyone who has questions, comments, or concerns. You will be unable to reach her or anyone else who can potentially help resolve your issues. Seems super shady no? How can we understand the charges if you don't speak to us?

It is my true hope that we can actually speak to a representative of this community who can explain in detail, the reasoning behind these excessive charges. Until we are able to speak to a person, we won't be paying the invoice, and we will be taking them to small claims court. If anyone else has had similar issues, please reach out, we may be trying to put together a class action if there are others out there like us.

• Ri
    rickypee Nov 16, 2017

@esnichols I am going over this same issue with them. I am actually drafting a letter and I am willing to go to small claims court as well. How can we communicate?

• Ri
    rickypee Nov 16, 2017

@rickypee how can we communicate directly and in private I mean.

• Do
    donaldduckgirl Oct 22, 2015

I am writing to express discuss of my security deposit used to replace carpet in the apartment.
    Your company steals resident’s money not only thru the ridiculous rent amounts but also for miscellaneous things after the residents decide to move on.
    The clause in the lease that states you must have the carpets cleaned upon moving is ridiculous. You rent to pet owners and no matter how good that pet is they do have accidents or get sick. If you do not want these kind of repairs then do not rent to pet owners, have a higher grade of carpet with stain guard, or wood or tile flooring throughout. You know you are not giving the money back so why don’t you save the former residents time and money by just making the deposit nonrefundable???
    So now, I not only paid $800 in the security deposit that I was expecting back but an additional $223 for carpets to be cleaned when they were just going to be removed anyway. In my eyes and opinion your company has stolen over $1000 of my hard earned money.
    In all my years of renting and moving I have never been charged for ANY repairs and I have always owned pets.
    If I would have known about this at the time we were signing the lease I would have changed my mind on living at your property. If the fees, rent, and rules (which were not explained at signing) don’t get you the unmaintained property does. We were paying over $1300 dollars in rent to live at a property where hallways smelled like marijuana, trash was tossed in hallways, lights out, railings coming off walls, trash all around the dumpsters, people not picking up after their animals etc. In my opinion your company is nothing but thieves that steal hard working people’s money. We are so happy we are out of that environment and in our own home. If we had to do it all over again I never would have signed the lease.
    I will not be recommending your properties or company for anyone to live there. I will inform anyone looking to rent to RUN from any properties owned by UDR and any affiliates.
    Since your company is so hard up for money please keep the BS refund we were due in the amount of $12.81. You already stole over $1000 what is $12.81 more.
    Thank you for wasting my time and stealing my hard earned money I hope you and your company is proud!

• Si
    Sickofudr Nov 23, 2015

Wow! They just took over a community I have lived in for years. My first impression was not good, I'm sick after reading all of this. I expect it's only going to get worse.

• Sd
    S DeLaCosta Dec 09, 2015

If you want you security deposit back DO NOT RENT FROM ANY UDR COMMUNITY/PROPERTY. All that glitters isn't gold. It may look pretty on the outside, but inside it is as dark, evil and rotten as it can possibly get. Take it from me, a FORMER EMPLOYEE. I worked for them early in my career and quit because I couldn't deal with how corrupt, greedy and unprofessional they were. Here's they ugly truth, their M.O. is always the same. They acquire properties in distress, rent to anybody with a pulse, don't run criminal background checks, rent to people with evictions, only care about "filling up all the vacants" and making their numbers, and then turn around and sell the property 2-3 years later. These are the facts people! I know firsthand. Here's the scary, dark side you don't know about unless you are a former resident of UDR and experienced this for yourself...Once they sell the building you are living in(and they will) without giving you any prior notice of the change of hands of ownership taking place, they take your security deposits with them, as well [censored]d deposits/app fees for a unit you may have leased while they still own it, deposits you paid for your remote control, key fob, etc, etc. They leave absolutely no records or files behind, they lock their computers and don't leave their passwords for the "new staff" to access any existing residents records, and will even take the parking log with them so that we don't know where anyone is parking, and do this intentionally to leave the new leasing and management staff completely in the dark! I've seen this happen firsthand in the last few years at 3 different buildings that they owned. If you are a current UDR resident, be smart and make sure to get a copy of your lease, and make them put in writing/email any monies that are owed to you upon move out. DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT! Also, make sure you get a copy of your Move In Inspection Form that you fill out when you move in. That way if they try to charge you for damages that you did not cause in the unit, you have that as PROOF. If you don't pay any debt they feel you owe them, they will send you to collections. Make sure you do your due diligence and have all the corporate contact info before they sell the building and disappear. You will thank me later. United Dominion Realty Trust is Ruthless, unethical, greedy and so shady it makes my head spin. You have been warned...

• Sd
    S DeLaCosta Dec 09, 2015

If you want your security deposit back DO NOT RENT FROM ANY UDR COMMUNITY/PROPERTY. All that glitters isn't gold. It may look pretty on the outside, but inside it is as dark, evil and rotten as it can possibly get. Take it from me, a FORMER EMPLOYEE. I worked for them early in my career and quit because I couldn't deal with how corrupt, greedy and unprofessional they were. Here's the ugly truth, their M.O. is always the same. They acquire properties in distress, rent to anybody with a pulse, don't run criminal background checks, rent to people with evictions, only care about "filling up all the vacants" and making their numbers, and then turn around and sell the property 2-3 years later. These are the facts people! I know firsthand. Here's the scary, dark side you don't know about unless you are a former resident of UDR and experienced this for yourself...Once they sell the building you are living in(and they will) without giving you any prior notice of the change of hands of ownership taking place, (you'll receive a letter the week of) they take your security deposits with them, as well [censored]d deposits/app fees for a unit you may have leased while they still own it, pet deposits, deposits paid for your remote control, key fob, etc, etc. They leave absolutely no records or files behind, they lock their computers and don't leave their passwords for the "new staff" to access any existing residents records, and will even take the parking log with them so that we don't know where anyone is parking, and do this intentionally to leave the new leasing and management staff completely in the dark! And God help you if you lease an apartment from them the same month that they sell the building!! You will show up and they will not have the unit ready because the new staff is absolutely clueless as to what has transpired in the last 30 days because they didn't think to leave us any notes!!! Nice employees, right? I've seen this happen firsthand in the last few years at 3 different buildings that they owned. If you are a current UDR resident, be smart and make sure to get a copy of your lease, and make them put in writing/email any monies(deposits) that are owed to you upon move out. DO NOT TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT! Also, make sure you get a copy of your Move In Inspection Form that you fill out when you move in. That way if they try to charge you for damages that you did not cause in the unit, you have that as PROOF. If you don't pay any debt they feel you owe them, they will send you to collections. And DO NOT BE FOOLED by what the Community Manager tells you. It's all LIES. They only hire people that are very corporate, great ### kissers, and have the company's interests at heart. They DO NOT care about you the tenant. Make sure you do your due diligence and have all the corporate contact info before they sell the building and disappear. You will thank me later. United Dominion Realty Trust is Ruthless, unethical, greedy and so shady it makes my head spin. You have been warned...