The Ritz-CarltonComplaint about our ritz carlton booking, confirmation number [protected]

D

Dear Sir or Madam,

I write to bring to your attention an unpleasant problem around my holiday booking at the Ritz-Carlton Residences in Waikiki Beach, HI.

On 21 May 2018 (NZ ST) I made a booking (Confirmation Number [protected]) for a ‘One Bedroom Grand Ocean View Suite' for 10 nights (8 July to 18 July 2018) at the Ritz-Carlton Residences in Waikiki Beach, HI.

Exactly 16 days after I had our booking confirmed in writing, I was contacted by email on 6 June (NZ ST) by Ms Farah Truong, the Waikiki Beach Ritz-Carlton Residences' Director of Revenue Management. Ms Truong politely asked us for my phone number and when it would be the best time to ring me. I wondered what the problem was and asked my wife to take the phone call. A short time later Ms Truong rang her to tell her that there had been a ‘human error' with our booking of 21 May 2018. Even though I had received an email of acceptance and confirmation of our booking (see attached email of 21 May 2018), we were informed by Ms Truong that the Ritz-Carlton Residences in Waikiki Beach could no longer offer us the booked accommodation at the agreed rate. In terms of the Confirmation Authenticity, which states ‘we honor our official record only and will disregard any alterations to this confirmation that may have been made after we sent it to you', this statement implies that the room rate you charged us stands as is. However, your Terms and Conditions, especially clause 10, seems to make the above mentioned quoted clauses irrelevant. Also, your Business Conduct Guide states ‘Customers should be given what is promised and at the promised price.' This does not seem to have been applied to our booking by trying to make us change it.

We travel regularly and have never encountered a situation like this in a 5-star hotel. In Venice, we stayed at the Hotel Cipriani where a mistake was made in the booking but they honoured the reservation by even upgrading at no cost.

The delay (16 days) of informing us of the error has made it very difficult to find a similar accommodation in a different resort. This situation has caused us stress and has affected what we thought was going to be a wonderful holiday. Having been in business, I always honoured my contracts - verbally or written. For a chain of your size and reputation I would have expected you to honour it, especially as it took 16 days to discover your error. I think you need to look at your booking processes. At least you kept your promise of ‘a memorable experience awaits you' - albeit one of stress and disappointment.

Yours faithfully