The Midwest Center for Stress & AnxietyReturn Policy

I began having anxiety attacks when something tragic happened in my family. One night while watching TV I saw the infomercial and in my depressed state decided to order the program - 30 day free trial - NO OBLIGATION. When the product arrived, it was a huge box containing several DVDs and books. I knew right away that it was not something that I could use, as I did not even own a DVD player.

I contacted the company and requested the "RA Number" which was needed to return the (unopened) program. I explained to the Customer SErvice Representative that this was not something that I could use, because I did not have a DVD player to view the product and that I could not even afford to buy one at the time. The CSR then proceeded to play on my fragile state of mind basically pressured me to keep the program and try to watch the DVD's at a family members house or somewhere else. The CSR even went as far to use the old "I've been in your situation and used the product and it helped me" tactic. After several rebuttals I finally agreed to keep the product for another 30 days with no financial obligation.

Prior to the end of the extended 30 day period, I once again contacted the company and (once again) let the CSR know that I still had not even opened the program, and that it was not something that I wanted to keep. I stressed the fact that I did not have a DVD player, and that I REALLY could not afford the $400.00 program. I requested the "RA Number" so I could send the product back. Again... the CSR began to pressure me and take advantage of my still fragile state - insisting that I not try to send the program back without even giving it a try. I was offered an additional 30 day trial period with no financial obligation.

Unfortunately - I let the 30 period pass... BY ONE DAY, and when I called the company on the 31st day I was told that by not responding before the end of the trial period, I was now obligated to pay for the program. The CSR was NO WHERE near as friendly and sympathetic as the other two and very sternly told me that I would be charged for the product. After pleading with the CSR for the "RA Number" and pointing out that I tried TWICE to return the product, and that I did not even own a DVD player, and that I did not even open the program, and that I could not afford the program the only solution that the representative came up with was charging me half price. I reluctantly agreed to pay $200.00, feeling extremely pressured and more stressed and depressed that I did before I ever contacted the company.

My warning to anyone thinking about trying this program is to be prepared to pay for it!!! The promise of "free trial" and "no obligation" seems to be an empty one. This company preys on people who are in a fragile mental state and once you have the product delivered to you they will make sure that it is yours forever. After all of that and the total dissapointment I felt with the whole process - I refused to use the program so I don't know if it works or not. I sought out professional help in the form of a licensed professional which my insurance paid for and I have been on medication which has worked wonders. I advise you to say NO to this company... UNLESS... you are 100% prepared to pay for it.

• To
    totalx2 Sep 28, 2010

I wish I had read all these comments prior to ordering this product. My experience reads almost exactly the same. I called to get an RA number and was pressured into keeping it one more week-against my better judgement. I too missed the return call by one day because I was not available to call between the hours of [protected], which by the way they really don't answer the phones until 0845 per customer service when I finally got them that morning. I work in an OR and was not available to call during the hours. anyhow, I received a different attitude and even after asking to speak to a supervisor got know where. I turned them over to my credit card company to dispute and lost after a month or two of arguing over it. Unless you want to spend hours doing homework and listening to stuff you probably already know going to a therapist is much more bang for you buck. Don't trust this company!!!

• Di
    Dittman Feb 14, 2011

It is the same story with me too. Now they are not willing to provide any phone number or email address from where we can get the RMA #. Only they will respond to the written requests from Utah somewhere.

• Sn
    snoopdawgy818 Mar 07, 2011

Anxiety Scams on the Internet {i can say this does works but u dont need to too spend so MUCH money on common sense stuff u can buy a cheap book for all the same stuff or get 1 at the library} this program would be cheaper if they didnt have cd's and dvds but they want $$$} danny

Anxiety scams abound on the Internet, with promises of quick cures for panic attacks, phobias, and other anxiety problems. When you feel desperate, when your daily life has been so disrupted by chronic anxiety that you're ready to try anything, it's very tempting to log on and buy the next product you see.

Maybe it will help. But there's a good chance that you won't get the promised results. The worse result then isn't even the money you spent, it's that you become less hopeful about ever solving the problem. So it's important to choose your self help tools carefully, and not just grab the first promise you see. Claire Weekes offered hope and help. All too often, anxiety scams offer hype and hustle. How can you tell the difference? How can you be an informed consumer of anxiety products? Most importantly, how can you find something that works?

Here are some tips.

Beware of quick, easy "cures"

Anxiety scams, in my view, promise quick, easy results. They claim that the great majority of people who use it are "cured" of their anxiety. They suggest that the creators of the product have some special secret or insight which contains great power to help you, something that no one else has thought of. They often offer statistics which can't be verified, and testimonials from people who can't be located.
    Anxiety disorders are solvable problems, and most people who struggle with them can overcome them. But recovery does take some work. If the promise sounds too good to be true, it's probably an anxiety scam.

Look for people
    with professional credentials

The Internet is full of programs created by people with no professional training in health care, psychology, or any relevant field. They're generally people whose skills are in marketing and advertising.
    They often try to turn this to their advantage by pointing out that many physicians and therapists don't know very much about anxiety disorders. This is unfortunately true, but it doesn't mean that the answer is to turn to Internet marketers. The answer is to find better sources of professionally trained help, and materials written by people with the training and background to be helpful to you.

Be wary of affiliate programs

On the Internet, anxiety scams are often marketed and sold through "affiliate programs". In an affiliate program, people with products to sell offer others the chance to sell the product through their own web site and keep a commission, typically 50-75% of the sale price.
    It's quick, easy, and cheap to set up, and affiliates can make some money with little effort. Nobody has anything to lose...except the buyers. This is why you'll see hundreds of web sites for these products.

This marketing has become so organized that there's even a market for buying and selling the articles that affiliates use to promote these products. Affiliates themselves often don't know much about the product, and sometimes pay free lance writers to do the writing for them.

To see how this works, take a look at these typical ads in which Internet marketers seek anxiety articles. Scroll down to see the ad for 9 articles on "fat loss, dog training, and anxiety attacks". Everybody needs to make a living, but this isn't how I want to get my health care problems solved!

How can you tell if you're looking at a product sold by affiliates? Just google the name of the product. If google returns lots of web sites advertising the product, all fairly similar, and linking you back to the same site for purchase, that's an affiliate program you found.

Compare prices

Most of the best self help books for anxiety disorders sell for less than $20. Anxiety products on the Internet are typically priced far higher than that, even though they're often only digital files which cost nothing to reproduce. These products usually range in cost from $60 to $100. The prices vary because they often offer a "special low price that expires today!"
    You can buy a small shelf of books by Claire Weekes for less than what you would pay for one anxiety scam. Dr. Reid Wilson, Dr. David Burns, and Dr. Edmund Bourne all have written excellent self help books which sell for less than $20.

When the price seems really inflated, odds are you're looking at an anxiety scam.

Seek information, not just advertising

A good self help site will freely offer actual information that you can use. It probably has products for sale as well, but that isn't its only purpose. It will offer actual self help information about anxiety disorders, and give you a clear idea of how the products can help you. Look through my web site, or some of the professional sites listed in my Links section, and you will see sites that not only explain how treatment can help, but that provide information - useful information for free - that you can use to help yourself.
    The typical anxiety scam web site consists of screen after screen of high pressure reasons to buy, and lots of extras if you buy NOW. However, they rarely describe how their product actually works, or give you anything you can use. They just urge you to buy.

If you read through an entire web site and still can't tell what method the author proposes for you to use, odds are you're looking at an anxiety scam.

See if it's available elsewhere

The Internet is a wonderful tool. But why aren't these products also sold in stores, and large outlets like amazon? It's often because the product isn't good enough to get approval from third parties like editors, publishers, and retail distributors.
    If these products were sold in stores, they'd attract a lot more scrutiny. Reviews would appear in newspapers and magazines. Customers would thumb through the books on shelves. Some Internet marketers don't want this kind of attention. Their strategy relies on catching you when you feel needy - maybe when you can't sleep and you're desperately surfing the Internet for help - and get you to make that impulse buy when you're least prepared to make a careful, considered choice.

When you can only get it from one supplier, the odds go up that it's an anxiety scam.

I have so much trouble -
    isn't it worth a try?

It might be. These products are generally overpriced and over promised, but that doesn't mean there's nothing of value. You might get something out of it, even if it's only a placebo.
    But it's not a good place to start. A better way to start might be to go to amazon.com and search for books about the problem you face. Read about the authors, read the reviews, and you can often read a sample of the work itself. The odds of getting useful help from books you find that way are much, much higher than just googling the topic.

If you do want to try out an Internet product, then investigate it as best you can, and take two more simple steps.

Don't buy groceries when you're hungry

If you've ever struggled to control your diet and your weight, you probably have heard this suggestion. Don't go to the grocery store when you're hungry and grab whatever appeals to you. Instead, make a shopping list when you're not hungry, and follow that plan when you go to the store. That way, you can shop in an organized manner, rather than impulsively.
    Do the same when considering anxiety self help products. Investigate and compare them in an organized manner when you can give this your careful attention. You're much less likely to buy into an anxiety scam this way. Don't shop when you're feeling overwhelmed by anxiety in the middle of a sleepless night!

Protect your rights as a consumer

Internet marketers typically promise to refund your money if you return the product within a certain time. The good ones consistently live up to this pledge. However, some don't. So before you make a purchase, carefully read the description of the refund provision, and print a copy for your records. Pay only by credit card. As soon as you receive your order, review the materials and make a prompt decision to return or keep them.
    In the event you return the product but don't get the promised refund, you can ask your credit card company to remove the charges from your bill. They will do so if you can show them that the seller didn't give you the promised refund. That will be easy to do if you keep a copy of the refund provision.

Instructions for filing this kind of complaint are typically on the back of your monthly credit card bill.

And, if you keep the product, use it diligently, yet fail to get the promised results - that's unfortunate, but don't stress about it. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can't be helped. You bought a product that wasn't helpful, at least to you. Keep looking for something better, by keeping the above points in mind.

• Cr
    CRYM Jan 12, 2012

I am a user of this wonderful, life-saving program. They state clearly that you have a free 14 day trial and they will even extend that trial in some circumstances to 30 days. If you do not wish to keep the program and fail to return it in the proper amount of time then... like Wonka says... YOU LOSE!!!

It sounds like all of the people here complaining would feel 10 times better if they would get past lesson 4.

Procrastination is one of the top traits of someone with the Anxiety, Depression, and Stress. So, saying you accidently missed the deadline is just bologna.

Pay for the program and not using it is not only sad (I feel sorry for you and the life you could have - A FREE ONE!!! Stop bashing and complaining about what is wrong with your life and the world around you. Save the money, buy the program and work it. If it is not for you then bash away. But, why give a program a bad name when some people here have opened the product and in no way do I believe for a second that they did not copy the workbook, upload the cd's, dvd's, burn them and then try to return.

• Cr
    CRYM Jan 12, 2012

and for those of you that have a problem with my assertiveness (also, helped by the program) and think that I may by some chance may be a paid sponsor, I am not. Google me, Facebook me... I am your average person who was consumed with anxiety, depression and fear. I just chose to work the program as instructed. This program is not a quick fix and I fear that is what people are thinking. You have to put in a lot of work that is just a fact! And at the end of that rainbow-it pays off more than $400.00. I hope that all of you find something that works for you and God Bless.
    The Midwest Center was my last hope an answer from God!

• P1
    P1SSED Mar 29, 2012

• P1
    P1SSED Mar 29, 2012

A Malibu resident, who was
    described as having been out hiking
    in a vacant field near Malibu
    West on Saturday morning, was
    an apparent suicide, according to
    authorities.
    The body of David Bassett, 53,
    was found in a vacant lot near
    Frondosa Drive and Principio
    Drive, according to the Los Angeles
    County Coroner’s Office,
    which said he was the victim of a
    self-inflicted shotgun wound.
    Sheriff ’s deputies, who responded
    to the 911 call, indicated
    that, based on what they saw at
    the scene, the shooting appeared
    to be a suicide.
    A spokesperson for the coroner’s
    office also confirmed that
    the suicide determination was
    made based “on what was found
    at the scene.”