Tate & KirlinMultiple FDCPA Violations

I don't even know where to begin...

They've been calling nearly every day for about 2 months or so concerning a debt that was disputed with original creditor. The couple times my husband did call back or answer, they posed as original creditor over the phone. They even attempted to negotiate a settlement in the name of original creditor, which we refused!

We discovered it was not the original creditor when the collector, who gave an obviously fake name, gave the Tate & Kirlin mailing address and info when collector solicited for four post-dated checks to keep him off our backs til then (and added if we didn't send payment, he'd add interest)! Immediate red flag, I know the original creditor is on the up and up.

I was able to contact the original creditor in an effort to complain about these guys they had supposedly asssigned to collect only to find out that the disputed charges had been charged-off after no agreeable settlement could be made! They did tell me that they have done business with Tate & Kirlin in the past.

I'm making a visit down to the local court for a small claims filing tomorrow. If they are pulling similar crap on you, please review the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act for more information.

• Li
    Lisa Menard May 02, 2012

I work for a public school district in the state of Texas. This morning, I have answered four calls from Tate & Kirlin. When I answer the calls, there is no one there. I have called them back twice and both times, they hung up on me. These phone calls should be against the law. If they are going to call this number, they should speak to whoever answers the phone!! When I called to discuss and ask them to remove this number from their list, they hang up on me. Who works making these kind of calls for a living? It's a waste of everything. Who benefits from these stupid hang-up calls? I am working a legitmate job and don't want to spend my time answering these wasted, stupid phone calls. Get a real job and get a life!!

• Al
    Alter8045 Jul 27, 2011

They have been calling me about a past due 2005 Verizon Bill. I want to now how many times can you be sued for one bill? I was sued by Palisades Collection on March 19th 2008 - I still can not pay because I am on Social Security and do not even know if we will receive our checks next month! I thought when you are sued and the judgement is for the Plaintiff it's over and done with. I wish they would do their homework and stop harassing me!

• Sj
    sjm1060 Apr 15, 2011

I just recieved a phone call from Tate & Kirlin and the woman on the other end asked for my husband but with a different last name and than asked for myself with the correct name. After confirming that she had the right number she hung up on me. I called the company back because I thought we had taken care of all our debt and was curious why they were now calling us. I was told that a phone call to our number was not in their system therefore they never called us. Well I told him that I took the number directly from our caller i.d. and the gentleman on the other end started to raise his voice telling me that they never called us and than once again I was hung up on. So, now I don't know if I should try and contact them again or just wait but I do know there was no reason for me to be hung up on or yelled at.

• Ke
    Kevin Jul 27, 2010

May I recommend a change of phone #. It may be iconvenient, but it will stop the calls.

CHARLENE KIZINA Jul 19, 2010

FOR OVER TWO YEARS THEY CALL OUR HOUSE 4X A DAY AND ASK FOR A CHRIS OR SHELLY OR TOM, I TELL THEM NO ONE HERE BY THAT NAME. AT FIRST I WAS POLITE, NOW IM DOEN RIGHT RUDE AND I SHOOT AT THEM. IVE TOLD THEM TO TAKE MY NUMBER OUT OF THEIR COMPUTER, ILL NREPORT YOU TO THE PHONE COMPANY, AND TO THE ATTORNY GENERALS OFFICE, THEY DONT CARE. THEY ARE ANNOYING, RUDE AND WHAT THERE DOING HAS TO BE AGANIST SOME LAW. THEY CALL USING SEVERAL DIFFERENT NUMBERS, [protected], [protected], OUT OF AREA, UNAVAILABLE, [protected], JUST ENCASE I DIDNT MAKE MYSELF CLEAR IM TALKING ABOUT TATE & KIRLIN.

• Fr
    FrankCousineau Jun 29, 2010

Different people claiming to represent Tate & Kirlin continue to call alleging the firm is attempting to collect a debt and want to know if we refuse to pay.

When we respond that we contest the debt and send us something in writing (via U.S. Postal Service), the firm states it already has. That is not true. We have been receiving mail at the same address for over 35 years. The firm continues its threatening tone, extremely unprofessional and undignified conduct. The firm sometimes uses a service which appears to be based in India or Pakistan and other times a crude and vulgar woman from the United States.

The various representatives engaged in offensive harassment, outright lies and ongoing refusal to present any evidence we owe any debt.

• Ar
    Archibald May 13, 2009

We have been receiving phones calls from them looking for a person who has never ever lived at our home or who has never had access to our telephone number and we are tired of this. We have also received phone calls from other companies looking for this same person and they have said they would also remove us from their list but never have.

Comment Guidelines