SunlBuyer beware!

In april of 2006 i purchased 6 atv's from a sunl dealer thru ebay. This dealer, who i will not name, has been so very helpful. I have no complaints at all about him. He has sent me box after box of parts for free. What absolutely floors me, is how incredibly poorly these things are made. My kids are all average sized, ranging from 6 yrs old to 11 yrs old. They only ride them on the weekends in our 4. 5 acres of flat as can be grass yard. No jumps, tricks, rough riding, nothing. These things have been an endless headache for me. I seriously can't tell you how many hours and hours i have spent trying to make these things work. Here are just a few problems i have encountered: constant carb problems - float needles sticking open causing the carb to empty the entire fuel tank all over the ground / floor. Needles sticking shut causing the engine not to start. Fuel lines cracking and leaking all over the hot engine after only one month of riding. Dead batteries every weekend causing me to need to jump start them off of my battery charger just to get them going. All of them have had the chains break at least once. The frame on one of the 110's broke in half where the swingarm meets while my 60 lb daughter was riding it, luckily she was not hurt. All of them have had parts break, fall off, loosen up, etc for no reason. I got to the point where i was putting loctite on everything! I could go on and on. At this point, only one of the six i purchased is running. They are parked permanently. Now, i knew that these were not going to be as good as the hondas that i originally wanted to buy (The hondas are 5 times the $) , but i didn't think these things would be so terribly made and downright dangerous. In the end, i guess you do get what you pay for. Buyer beware!

• Hw
    hwyglass Jan 13, 2015

Where do find replacement parts for these things. Im soo irritated and tired of searching.

• To
    Topez2058 Aug 30, 2013

Hi have a Hanma R9..I need a Owners Manual ( wiring Diagram)
    So can fix wiring on this junk

• At
    ATVSUNLSpokane Aug 29, 2013

I must be a lucky reneck or what! I purchased 2-2007 SUNL ATV"S 200cc with the CG200 4 speed w/ reverse gear box with full chain drive. I picked them up for $861.00 each, one is air cooled and the other is water cooled. Now I wasn't expecting alot from these machines but I have at least got a great return on my inexpensive investment. I bought these used. I have had miniumal problems with them. ATV's of any brand chinese or name brand all need to have maintence done after every outing or you are a fool. The high vibrations and impacts of riding take there toll. Remember 3 things, (1) all ATV, motorcycle UTV engines from Japanese companies are made by 1 of 3 Chinese engine manufacturers in Southeast asia and China. All other parts are made by Chinese companies in china or southeast asia. If you don't do like race teams do and full inspect, and reinforce welds, your rigs after you ride, any rig will fall apart and be dangerous. I have only replaced $100.00 in parts on my 2 machines since I bought them, alot less then name brand. You can only jump, race, mudd, slam, burn out if you have modified any stock machine or it will break. ATVSUNLSpokane @ FB.com I ride mine in the Panhandle National Forest her in Idaho. They do just fine, But I use them as mules not race machines, they are not modified!

• Ed
    Edan97 Aug 31, 2012

I disagree with you guys. I bought a 1 year old Sunl 250cc atv 4 speed manual in 2008, the model was a 2007. I put it through many mud bogs and did a lot of rough riding as cruising with it. I hardly ever had problems with it and loved it very much. some parts did need to be replaces but they were very easily done. after having it for 5 years the engine went but it was completely my fault as i broke the fan and didst use the water coolers so it over heated. I believe if i would of took care of that it would of still been running today.

marcos2 Apr 11, 2012

You get what you pay for. after the first and 2nd times out riding i have went thru and re tightened every bolt. the carbs i also had trouble with at first until a friend of mine went thru and made a few changes, these motors are what was a honda 70 way back in the 80s and sunL used the expired pat... so therefore if u have a knowledgeable honda guy u can h ave them make few cheap fixes also bypass all the alarm and bs . i have two kids that are 2nd year learning on them and yes if u go spend 2000+$ u can have a very low maintenence bike. also every time an adult gets on one you best check it over. these are 4-8yr old cheap bikes . like i said, u get what ya pay for and if u are not a handy person u will not get what you expect. i think every nut n bolt should be replaced with quality ones and have a honda atv guy put a few tricks into the carb. i did and can go long times without turning over, go to them fire em up and let the kids ride . this is just my opinion so if u have the want then try these few things ...

JonP Jul 15, 2011

It's a Chinese product! What do you expect? If you want quality, don't buy Made In China products.

• Ms
    ms.tech Jun 30, 2011

I bouught a sunl in june 2008 it was in the repair shop in july, aug and Oct, the engine died in feb 2009 still under warranty has been in shop since not repaired yet sunl refused to honor the 12 month warranty on the engine they owe me 1600 for a defective scooter

• Bu
    buh May 16, 2011

My feind has a 110 Sunl pit bike. Rode the crap out of it for 2 years. Never broke.

• Mi
    Mike Litoris Oct 07, 2010

It comes down to, "you get what you pay for". You have to expect a product that costs 1/5 the normal price to be 80% less dependable. Quit crying about it. Also, the majority of these individuals are upset because they do not understand how these vehicles work, resulting in frustration when it comes to troubleshooting. Search some forums, chase some wires, get your hands dirty. Stop being cheap, or learn small engine repair. If you loved your kids that much you wouldn't let them speed around at 30+mph on what you consider an extremely dangerous machine.

• Br
    brian 123 Sep 29, 2010

I bought a Metal lathe for $100.00 one time and traded it straight across for a used sunl 250 2a dune buggy about a year ago. Sure bolts are coming loose. That’s what happens when you beat the crap out of them. I have jumped this thing off of a motor cycle jump about 20 times, can't get much air, and its a hard landing, and I am sitting about 230lbs and I had someone heavier than me in it with me more than a few times. Yesterday I had a nut come off of my lower ball joint on the driver’s side. I just put a new one on and I’m back on the road. If you beat it up, you will have to fix it up, but that’s OK with me. I do plan on removing all nuts and bolts and using a crap load of loctite. But that’s just to cut down on the checking to see if they are loose.

Over all, it’s not bad, with only a bill into the cost I can’t complain.

I am a mechanical design engineer. In collage I was in the Society of Automotive Engineers (Designed and built buggies such as these for nationwide competition), and I have to say the design is not to bad, definitely not the best, but not to bad.

I do not now anyone who sells sunl's or works for them, and am not affiliated with them in any way. These are just my thoughts of the product.

• Fu
    --[ fuj boy]-- Jun 27, 2010

my sunl dirt bike works awesome. but my sister's atv sucks. it keeps on messing up.

• Fu
    --[ fuj boy]-- Jun 27, 2010

my sunl dirt bike works perfectly. but my sisters atv messes up and stops working. my dirt is awesome just like a honda. well maybe not just like a honda but it works good.

• Je
    J E Mills May 04, 2010

Anybody know what happened to the Sun L website??? Went there (www.sunl.com) tonight to order parts and it is gone!!!

• Ju
    juggernaut May 01, 2010

I am a part time independent motorcycle shop in az, this is ride year round country. I will vouch for 4 of the Chinese manufactures, AND NO WAY IN HELL FOR Sunl.
    These things are an absolute frigging nightmare in a pretty package and the Chinese parts are extremely swappable.
    DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE, these have the worst welding of any of the Chinese makes. it's welded way to hot! the reason for the swing arm brackets breaking and i have even seen them break in the front next to the shocks. the carbs are complete junk because the needle's are to small and get jammed or too big and don't block, the fuel filters they send you are not worth a dime.
    the chains are are so weak that the master links seem to hold better than the rest of the chain.
    (on name brand usually if it's gonna break it's gonna break at the master link.)
    electrically have just seen minor issues concerning lose connections.
    the thing i don't want to hear though is I can't get a battery for these...is BS, go to Wal-mart, pep-boy's, checker, auto-zone and get a motor cycle/lawn mower battery. amperage that the battery being higher is not an issue! that's what the fuse is for.
    yeah it will cost you more but come on I can't get a battery is a little bit much.a battery from me would cost you 80 bucks and you can get them else where for 30-40 bucks, if your battery is dying right off the bat that means you have a bad wire connection and it is not being charged by the stator coil, not much to go wrong in a stator but they can go bad if rubbing is occurring.

this is for past models to 2007 these are the models where they did not yet comply with U.S standards and during that 2007 year were forced to improve product to meet U.S. standards or be barred from importing any of their product.
    I can not speak for 2008 and later models no one around that i know owns one and refuses to buy them, on these you are on your own.

• Gr
    GRP Feb 14, 2010

Management Sucks. Unprofessional

no only are there products cheap, the company is also. They don't pay there venders, the witch of a president yells and is unprofessional. What a joke of a company. They need to be flushed. The do not represent China. They represent selfish ego-driven jerks. Sunl needs to pay their bills to their vendors and get out of Dallas. The President sucks, her Side kick managers need to get a backbone
    and stand up for whats right. -But- i guess they have a job.
    Suck off Sunl- Rot in Hell! Suck my Big toe May!

• Fm
    fm1 Dec 23, 2009

If you weren't so cheap you should have bought from a credible dealer. Sunl machines are great machines for what you pay. People want to save a dollar and buy from the internet which is stupid. Sunl specifically states that they WILL NOT warranty a machine unless it is assembled by a dealer. So when you buy be smarter instead of a cheap skate!

• Bi
    BiggB Dec 06, 2009

I've had a sunl 70cc 4 wheeler for 2 years now and it runs great never any problems, exept I am 290lbs, and I broke the axle coming off a curb. my 4 kids, ages 7-16 all ride it and there not easy on it either. Dont know, maybe I got the 1 in 20, 000 that runs great.

• Ge
    GEHenzel Nov 15, 2009

have anyone bought a utv from sunl.

• Th
    thebuckmaster580 Nov 04, 2009

I agree with all the comlainers! In 2007 I bought a brand new 150cc buggie for my oldest son and it is crap! We didn't have it 2 days and the carb fell off, the lights quit working and the front shocks went bad. I had to start patching stuff up on it the first week we had it and now it set's covered in dust taking up space in my barn. I gave $1800 for it and have been trying to sell it for 1.5 years for $500 and no one will touch it! And to all yall so called mechanics that think everyones problem is from lack of maintenance, you are full of it! I have 5 other quads and one of them is a 1985 model HONDA and has had the dog rode out of it and still runs excellent! So we don't need to here more MAINTENANCE crap!

• At
    ATVdude Aug 21, 2009

I COMPLETLY AGREE!! I got 110cc Go Kart off of Ebay since the price looked good and there wasnt many reviews which means no negative reviews on them. I have a slight hill in my yard and it could barley climb it. Also the muffler keeps on coming off and the headlights/ blinkers did not work when i got it. ALso the dealer said it was automatic 3 speed and that wasnt true. ALso the customer service sucked and i had to pay for all the replacement parts!!

DO NOT GET!!! If you do get it, DO NOT GET IT OFF OF THE INTERNET!

JOKH Aug 19, 2009

I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 250CC GO KART FROM SUNL AND I HAVE PUT OVER 1500$$ INTO THE GOKART IF I WAS YOU I WOULD NOT BUY A PIECE OF CRAP FROM SUNL NEVER EVER EVEN IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT SO DONT BUY A SUNL GO KART

• Vi
    Vinny G Aug 18, 2009

Jim Winn is obviously a dealer or some kind of SunL robot. SunL makes crap. If you already f*cked up and didn't head the warnings...DO NOT FIX THE BIKE...leave it where it is and walk away. You'll never stop spending money on it to fix. Buy a good used Japanese or American bike and you'll be happy.

• Ji
    JimWinn Jul 06, 2009

I purchased a 50 cc scooter last year for my wife. It has always started. 626 miles on it. Had to replace the battery this year. This year I purchased an atv 200 manual shift. So far great. Had a tow hitch welded on it for the Sears garden trailer, 12 cu feet. I have used it for 18 hrs this summer. For mudding and yard work with trailer. 38 acres. No problems to date. I keep both clean and lubed. I think both are great products for their price. Jim Winn

• Ye
    YEP BOUGHT JUNK May 30, 2009

All you people kill me. Would you buy a brand new car thats 1/4 of the price. The answers no. I have a Sunl 70 cc, I agree its junk. But on the other hand, I knew that when I bought it. I have a hard time reading these posts. We all know better than to buy the cheap sh!t. But you did it and now your complaining? Just bite the bullet and quit complaining, YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF, just as I did. But at least I'm willing to admit it. I have had every problem in the book, broke engine casing, got rewelded, broken exhaust hanger, zip stripped, stator went out, replaced, sticking needle, put a fuel shut off switch in. They're junk no doubt, but what did you expect for 649.00. QUIT ###

• Ge
    George Romero May 12, 2009

I went halves on one of these pieces of crap so the kids would have something to ride while me and the bros would tear it up at Glamis on our bikes. First off, you shouldn't HAVE TO buy parts for any bike/atv within the first week of purchasing it. That's the stupidest sh*t I've ever heard and what some dealers keep spouting. They should work right from the get-go. And guess what? On the very first trip out to Glamis, it was falling apart. It also leaked gas and oil and had next to no power/torque. We bought it from the dealer directly. Sure they have parts...but why the f*ck should an ATV need parts in the first week? And no, we didn't assemble anything. The authorized dealer did. Consumers shouldn't have to assemble sh*t. In defense of Sunl, people don't seem to learn. They keep buying crap. I learned my lesson. We immediately went out and bought the kids a Yamaha after the whole fiasco. In 3 months the only thing we've done is change the oil and oil filter to keep it nice and clean and it runs like a champ. No worries, no parts falling off, no leaks, no headaches. My personal Yamaha is a 2006 and I've never had a problem with it. Ever. Buy Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki...forget Sunl. Sunl makes sh*t. Their quality is sh*t...and you put your kids at danger riding these heaps of junk on wheels. Once again, DON'T BUY SUNL!!!

• Co
    Confused Grandpa Apr 21, 2009

I'm disappointed in the quality of the Sunl other off brand products. I have bought 2 70 cc 4 wheelers that have been fair. The Batteries are to small and won't hold a charge. No matter what the brand who wants to jump start it every time the kids want to ride. A lot of the nuts and bolts have had to be tightened or replaced because they fell out. AND NO FOOT BRAKE! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? ALL VEHICLES NEED A FOOT BRAKE! (However, I do like the ability to set the throttle.) I purchased a Sunl 90cc 4 wheeler for my oldest grandson, 10 years old and he loved it, but we have had some problems. As usual everthing on it has had to be tightened up and loctite put on it. I bought it thinking it was enough for him, but it has no power because of its auto drive (no gears). Right now I'm having a problem with the motor loading up and stalling. It acts like the muffler is stopped up. I've check everything. I've worked on my own motorcycles and cars for years. I won't buy another off brand again. It's not worth it. Take your $600 or $800 and use it as a down payment on a Honda or some other NAME BRAND EQUIPMENT! YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!

• Mo
    monkeybutt Mar 27, 2009

Well I can see what many of you are saying about having problems with these SUNL bikes being that they are cheaply made and stuff. However, like a few people have stated - you get what you pay for ! My son is 8 and has the 90 CC quad which was like $600 new and he has had little problems with it. He does not use it that much and it is constantly lubricated and gone over to make sure it is safe and working properly. My son also does not take it on rough terrain or crash it very often. He flipped it once on a gravel driveway but him and the quad turned out just fine. It was flipped by his friend once too. I would never spend the kind of money they want for the other brands for a kid that will out grow it in a few season's time.
    When he is a little bigger and really starting to beat on it I will probably bite the bullet and get him a better quality bike. I do believe that some of the people complaining about the poorer quality of these things and the problems they have had are not being realistic about what to expect from a VERY inexpensive machine that in many cases are not being properly used and maintained. Not to mention I had tons of Hondas and the like as a kid and they almost ALL gave me many of the same problems over and over !...

• Yo
    yoyoyo Mar 04, 2009

SUNLs are no good

sunl=BAD

• Yo
    yoyoyo Mar 04, 2009

With mine we had to put new piston rings in it 3 times. We only owned it for 1 year. That is CRAZY!!!

• Gl
    glen4plmg Feb 18, 2009

They might be low qaulity but when your 13 and save your lawnmowing money to buy one its worth it i live in the n 'east just up in newhampshire it starts in the freezing cold things do go wrong but there a great atv to learn to work on parts are cheap anough i just ordered brake caliper last week and i recieved it in 9days not bad i rather have my son learn on this then a 4or5000 dollar atv when he saves anough for a yamaha( etc) he will really now how to take care of and fix

• Ro
    rob Jan 24, 2009

ok allof the complaints above are consumer error they tell you to check the bikes for loos bolts or parts after a week of riding not checking that kinda thing is pure stupidity if you have ever rode anything new be for you would know this but this is just because ive been riding them for years and they are fine bikes and atv go carts on the the other hand. you are gunna wreck your gunna break something every time my four year old daughter loves it and can ride right next to the 12 and 13 yr olds hondas and yamahas so i see no problems with them all it takes is a little tlc from time to time

• Lu
    lulu Nov 17, 2008

If you want to contact Sunl and get someone call [protected] The GM's ext. is 214 his name is Jeff, ext.215 is the owner David Shan.

john Nov 07, 2008

I read so many complaints says that Sunl is junk. I had purchased products, like a Remington polesaw that lasted i hour and stopped working. I keep receipts on everything, because it usually goes back to the store for a refund. I think manufactures product so much and so quickly, that they make big mistakes.
    My Sunl is a 2008 S150-21B with 1700 miles and in spring weather I drive it 40 miles one way. The belt broke, they sent a new one in 5 days and it was $30.00 to fix it . All I know is that I get 65 mpg and that it saving me in the long run. It is safe and fun to ride.
    Sincerely, John T.

• Yf
    YFZgirl Oct 29, 2008

My husband and I wanted to buy my son a quad because he got into riding a dirt bike and out grew the bike in just a few years.So we called a friend who sells SUNL motorcycles and he brought us down to a ware house in N.J. He showed us the motorcycles and for the price you couldn't go wrong.We ended up buying an 110cc youth atv, 125 dirt bike & a 50cc scooter.My son rode the 110cc atv for 2 weeks and the atv died on him and refused to start nothing would work.We spent money on a new battery and it still wouldn't start.We checked the electrical wires and they burnt out for what reason I don't know why cause my kid only rode it back & forth on the farm for 2 weeks without even crashing it.The 125cc dirt bike was also garbage because the damn thing is leaking fuel all over the place and the only way I can stop it is by buying a new pet fuel ### for it which will cost me 15.00.Money for the part is not the problem, the problem is that the exhaust gets too hot and it's melting the plastic and I'm afraid of riding cause I might get burnt or the bike might get so hot it might blow up! So there's SUN L for you, pure garbage!The scooter is the only thing that works right.Anybody looking to buy motorcycles for cheap remember you get what you pay for.Save your money and buy a real motorcycle and go to a real manufacturer get a Honda or Yamaha with a real warranty!

• Lo
    lokie Oct 18, 2008

i totally agree with how ### these sunl quad bikes are they are a constant problem and quiet personally i woulnt ### on one all the welds are NOT very good and engine bolts breaking how un safe is that wilst riding my engine bolts snapped and broke the chain witch got my leg quiet nasty

sunabozu Sep 24, 2008

previously forgot to mention.

I frequently operate my SUNL 110cc quad at high speeds and over jumps, also powerslides and hard braking at speed, i have been doing this for three months and have yet to have any failure beyond a derailed chain.

sunabozu Sep 24, 2008

A few rules that people don't seem to get when buying ANY ATV, especially from SUNL (who make a good product if you actually care for it and maintain it.)

1) When you buy an ATV you CHECK THE BOLTS, tighten if they are loose. i had to adjust the chain tension, tighten up the engine mounts, and apply loctite to the equipment racks on the sunl 110cc quad i purchased.

2) change the oil as soon as you get it, don't even start the engine until you change the oil. This is true for ALL quadbikes and ATVs, not just SUNL but the Big Four as well

3) Lubricate the chain or it WILL constantly derail and it WILL break. This is true of all ATVs

4) Use high quality fuels and don't cheap out with either the oil or grease

As for my own experiences with it, I've frequently exceeded it's normal operating envelope, i snorkeled the intake and drive it through high water, i pull a small lawn and garden trailer which i fill with several hundred pounds of livestock feed.

Fact of the matter is, this machine had ample power and has never failed to start, making this one of the most reliable machine's I've purchased recently.

• Ke
    ken Sep 03, 2008

i bought a gator 50 scooter chinesse, at campuss scooters in east lansing michigan, and yes carbs are not compatible with theese scooters, they are of the poorest design-and dont buy into the dealer telling you you need to put 300 miles on them to break them in, its a gimmick to get them past the 30 day mark after 30 day they dont half to take them back-they will send parts, but the carb parts are same and there junk, campuss scooters in lansing michigan would not even return half my money told them after 30 days was up, to come get there scooters give half my money back, there now just ignoring me -theese gator 50 scooters are allso now being sold under all kind differenet names any chinesse 49 cc or 50 cc scooter is junk and shame on the american dealers for selling such junk and there scheem of gettting past the 30 day mark, where you cant return the product-i urge people to start contacting conumer advocates groups and file complaints with better buissnes offices

SUNL IS JUNK Aug 31, 2008

Hazardous imports? Chinese-made ATVs are of poor quality
    ======
    Chinese-made ATVs add threat to unregulated industry
    By Bill Lambrecht
    POST-DISPATCH WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF
    08/03/2008

Hazardous imports? Chinese-made ATVs are of poor quality and are unsafe, critics say.
    Tougher regulations Congress passed new legislation holding all ATVs to U.S. safety code.
    * * * * * *
    BROWNSTOWN, Ill. — On the last Saturday in April, Amber Donnals was sitting on her porch when she heard an
    explosion, followed by screams.
    She turned to see her son, Bryan, 6, running toward her, his clothes on fire, and flames shooting up at
    the rear of the Donnalses' mobile home.

He'd been riding his newly minted, Chinese-made ATV — sold "to be used by children age 6 to 12" — when
    suddenly it sped up and raced out of control, according to an account by the boy and his family.
    The red, 110cc four-wheeler barely missed a propane tank before crashing into the trailer and catching
    fire. Bryan spent five weeks in a pediatric burn unit at Shriners Hospital for Children in Cincinnati
    after he was transferred by jet from St. Louis Children's Hospital. The family was told that he would need
    skin grafts and regular treatment for many years.

• Er
    Eric Hirt Aug 26, 2008

Hello,
    If anyone needs any help on a Sunl atv feel fre to email me. My cycle shop has repaired many of these chinese atvs. [email protected]

Eric