Service Protection Direct Complaints & Reviews

Service Protection DirectStay away

Today I received a phone call from a girl named sue from the receiving dept in Lowes on picking up my mover that I am trying to get fixed or credited from the manufacturer. The manufacturer is dragin everything out. So little miss Sue I guess to tkae matters in her own hands and tell the mover is unfixable, I already knew that but I am by warranty guildlines from the Lowe's store. I have received a phone from the manufacturer but haven't spoke to anyone yet;. Miss Sue decided that since the mover was not fixable she assumed that I am trying to get credit for something that I destroyed?. She used the words of "The manufacturer wil not credit you back money when it was customer abuse".. To the record I didn't physical abuse the mover at all and for her to say that to me was very uncalled for because she doesn't have any idea on what has been going with it and what the other employees from Lowes at trying to help me on'. The mover is still under warranty and I feel that it should either be fixed or credit me back:. Miss Sue should have never said that to me because now I will get my money back and there will be nothing she can do about it, .

Service Protection DirectZero reliability

I recently had signed up for an extended warranty that I was from the start very skeptical about, but a few months later everything I thought about this company became true.

They offered me a month-to-month contract of $90 a month. My 2007 Honda Civic was COMPLETELY fine as I signed up for their plan. 60 days later, my engine starts making loud pulley noises and I realize that my AC compressor clutch needed to be replaced. And I was thankful that I had signed up for this warranty 2 months ago. However, when I brought it into the repair shop, my claim was denied. Here's what happened:

Day 1, I bring my car in for repair. The repair facility calls me saying that Service Protection Direct will be sending a mechanic to look at my car.

Day2-5, the mechanic doesn't show

Day 6, he shows up, finally

Day 7, they deny the claim.
    I ask the Honda repair facility why it was denied, they said,

"Your warranty company said that you havent passed the waiting peroid of 45 days and you havent driven past 1000 miles from the date of the sign up"

I look back at my contract.
    Date of sign up: 3/3/2011
    Mileage recorded: 48085

I look at my car and today's date:
    Current date: 5/5/2011
    Mileage: 49300 (estimated)

so THAT WAS a LIE.

I call the warranty company: they say that my condition was pre-exisiting and that they could not cover it.

Here's where I get mad. They tell the dealership that I was still within my deferral peroid. They tell me that its a pre-exisiting condition. Two different stories.

me: "How do you guys know that its pre-exisiting?"
    them: "We had a mechanic to check it out, he concluded that your condition occurred within your deferral peroid"
    me: "but my car was running fine, it only started up late April"
    them "sorry thats what the mechanic told us"

And I ask them to send a copy of the mechanics report. They said they can't give that out.

I ask them if I could speak with their Claims Officier (named Mark). This guy was rude, didn't give a single explanation as to why they concluded it to be pre-exisiting. It's becoming a the mechanic's word against mine type of deal.

I reason it out with him, I said
    "I didn't know that this was a pre-exisiting condition. My engine hadn't made this kind of noise until recently. It might have been a pre-exisitng condition but i did not know about it. And if my engine breaks down, and you deny my claim saying that it was a preexisiting condition, you may be right, but my car had run over 2000+ miles with a slowly degrading engine. Would you guys deny the claim then saying that my engine wasn't up to par during the deferral peroid? HOW DO YOU GUYS ASSESS A PRE-EXISITING CONDITION??

His answer
    Sorry, I can't help you

So the next thing I say is
    Transfer me to sales, im getting off of this plan.

And so he did.

Zero reliability, Zero integrity, Customer service was terrible. Yes, they probably do fix cars, its not a scam, but these rats try in every way to turn the favor to themselves. It's sleazy and unethical.

No I do not approve of this company.
    Save your monthly premiums, and when something does happen, you can fix your car with the money you saved. Rather than have these [censored]es handle your case with a relatively high chance of your claim being denied.

Regardless of what you think, an insurance company's target is to make profit. GOOD companies place the trust of the public before profits, and their reputations matter more. This one, unfortunately, will be willing to take your money at the expense of any trust and their integrity.

I won't be surprised to see that this company will struggle down the years. Please be wary of Protection Service Direct, please.

• Updated by jhuang37 · May 07, 2011

So it seems that one of the higher ups contacted me today wanting to know why my experience with SPD was so poor. I was surprised that I receieved this call and was grateful that someone on the other end was listening.

After several minutes of explaining the guy goes to talk to the claims officer (Mark) and calls me back saying that the claim will be paid.

I'm glad that there are some checks and balances it seems within this company. We'll see how everything turns out next week to see if this claim has really been covered. Stay tuned.

• Updated by jhuang37 · May 26, 2011

Consider this complaint resolved.

You have to be persistent. I had the chance to talk to one of the VPs there and he was able to arrange a payment for my claim.

There is accountability in this company, it seems. For a typical company though, there is a claims committee, whereas in my case there was one claims officer who single handedly makes the decisions. Therefore, if there is obvious foul play, it isnt the end of the world.

Service Protection DirectService Protection Direct - A message from the company

We recognize that there are a lot of negative comments and customer complaints toward Protection Direct, and some of it is absolutely warranted. We are currently working with the BBB to improve our rating (read more about that here: http://bit.ly/joR2b3), and we are actively trying to improve our image by resolving existing complaints. It’s our hope to change our industry by leading the way with solid business practices, responsive customer service and transparent communication.

Post here about your recent experiences (the good, the bad and the ugly) or send them to us through [protected]@protectiondirect.com and you will be heard. If you’re a current customer and want us to look into a specific incident, be sure to email us your full name and customer ID number so that we can quickly identify your case and try to get the issue resolved.

Customer satisfaction is very important to us and we’re here to help!

• Updated by Protection Direct Rep · Apr 28, 2011

Post here about your recent experiences (the good, the bad and the ugly) or send them to us through [email protected] and you will be heard. If you’re a current customer and want us to look into a specific incident, be sure to email us your full name and customer ID number so that we can quickly identify your case and try to get the issue resolved.

Customer satisfaction is very important to us and we’re here to help!

Service Protection Directwill not refund

I purchased a five year extended warrenty thru this company 12/18/08 for my '02 suv, when going over all the info i voiced my concerns on what happens when i sell my vehicle, something on which i had planed to do in the next year or two. His reply was that when i sold my vehicle the $2280 five year policy would be pro rated and i would get back what i didn't use. Well i sold my car 03/26/11, called them 03/28/11 to cancel my policy (twenty eights months left) and was told they do not pro rated, i am due NO money back! Upon stating this is NOT what i was told when i purchasd your policy, he really didn't care and said "well you were told wrong"
        DO NOT PURCHASE AN EXTENDED WARRENTY THROUGH THIS COMPANY!!

• Updated by J. Knocker · Mar 29, 2011

complaint will be taken care of in the next 2 days

Service Protection DirectWrong Business

Someone made a comment about how they are probably just a collection agency trying to gather info. Thought you all might find this interesting.

That link will probably only work for a few days, but if you dont read the real ad its an employment ad for collections agents in Downtown St. Louis. The email address is listed as [protected]@protectiondirect.com.

Service Protection Directwill not cover repairs

After paying on this warranty for 19 month with out any claims being filed on it, my 2001 ford truck was put in the shop for repairs, in the warranty it stated that it would be covered.On the list #ONE is engine, engine heads, engine block, and so on!this company is a joke and they are ripping millons of pepole off on a daily basis .I WOUNDER HOW THE OWNERS OF THIS COMPANY WOULD FEEL IF THERE MOTHER, DAUGHTER, SISTER OR WIFE HAD TO GO THOUGH THIS TO GET THERE CARS FIXED!I hope that all the owners and rude employes have a great night sleep and a nice day!!!

2 Responses

Steve,
                We are very sorry to hear you had trouble when filing a claim. Please email [email protected] with more details about your specific plan and we will look into the matter immediately.

• St
                steve grabowski Mar 10, 2011

This company is terrible.The sales person stated that EVERYTHING was covered to include 4 wheel drive parts, and drive train parts, ect..ect..It sounded good!? I paid $2500.00 for MARATHON GOLD PLAN.Its a GARBAGE plan..Spline to 4 wheel drive went and they would not cover...Now Rear differential clutch went on 2005 F150 and that is not covered...DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!Look on better business bureau..they have hundredes of complaints in MO. and have started a class suit against company...bills for repairs have cost me approc $1500.00 and were not covered.

Service Protection Directdeposit denied

HI ALL THE INFOR MATION I FILLED ON TOP OF PAGE I BELIEVE ITS ABOUT THE COMP. I AM COMPLAINING. I REC'D A LETTER OF AN EXTENTED WARR. FOR MY VEHICLE WHICH WAS OUT OF WARRANTY. I CALLED THINKING IT WAS A INSURANCE FROM WHERE I PURCHASED THE CAR. WELL AFTER I TOOK THE INSURANCE AND THEY HAD ALL MY INFORMATION TO MY SURPRISE, I GAVE THEM THE PAYMENT OF $310.00 IN A CREDIT CARD . THEN MY WIFE CHECKED THE COMPANY THRU THE WEB AND TO MY SURPRISE THIS COMP. HAS MAY COMPLAINTS. I AM SO SORRY EVER DEALING WITH THEM. I CALLED TO CANCEL THE POLICY AND WAS TOLD THAT THEY HAVE A VERY GOOD RATING WITH BBB, THEY GOT A A WITH THEM. ANYWAY I WAS TOLD THAT MY POLICY WILL BE CANCEL AS OF TODAY BUT THAT I WONT GET ANY REFUNDS BACK. WHAT A SCAM THESE PEOPLE ARE, I CANT BELIEVE THIS, ITS ONLY BEEN 3 WKS AND I HAVENT EVEN USED THE POLICY S SERVICE AND I WONT BE GETTING NO MONEY BACK. WHAT CAN I DO TO GET ANY REFUND BACK? I GOT SCAM AND WAS TAKEN FOR A SUCKER. WHAT A SHAME THIS IS. I'M SURE THERES LOTS OF ME OUT THERE. MY NAME IS AGRIPINO FIGUEROA AND I LIVE IN PUERTO RICO

Respond

Service Protection DirectWarning! Will not cover repairs!

My grandmother purchased this coverage for nearly $3, 000.00. She has had to replace the fuel pump ($1800) even though the brochure CLEARLY states it's covered. They DENIED the claim! A week ago she had a catastrophic mechanical breakdown. There is a leak in the intake manifold gasket that caused all the coolant to get in the engine. They insisted on a complete engine tear-down ($600), then denied the claim!! They claimed the customer allowed the problem to persist! What?? A month ago it was serviced for an oil change (in which all fluid levels were adequate) and then the gasket cracks and leaks and it's the customer's fault? This happens in a matter of minutes! Our local Chevrolet Dealership claims this is the worse company ever! In the six years he's been a technician, he's never seen them cover a SINGLE repair!! Buyer, please beware! Please inform your family members that it's a scam! They prey on innocent victims!

Service Protection DirectNo service, total rip off

I paid over $2017 for this warrenty and have tried to use it numerous times but nothing that has gone wrong with my car has been covered. I have purchased other warrenties from dealers and have been totally pleased with what they covered. I just spent another $1500 today because nothing was covered. I will never buy a warrenty from tele-marketers (SPD) again. I don't see how every repair that I have needed, not one item was a covered item. I had the dealer look over it today and he said it is a big rip-off and to contact the BBB. I am going to do so.

5 Responses
                      Protection Direct Rep Mar 17, 2011

Protection Direct takes privacy concerns very seriously. If you’d like to be removed from our mailing list, simply email your customer ID (should be on the letter you received) to [email protected] and you will be removed immediately.

• Tm
                      Tmlm82 Mar 01, 2011

I too received this letter... But I am here to let you know they did not pull your information from dmv. My vehicle is registered to a business I work for which is also located in another state. But yet I recieved this letter in my state to my address. I do however maintain this car in this state and I believe that a local repair shop sold my information to this company. Question is... Who did? I'm doing all the research on my end because if this company sold my information I want a cut of the check they recieved.

• Re
                      Renee L. Jul 17, 2009

I received a letter from this company telling me that I needed to extend my warranty because the original warranty had expired. Well my car was manufactured 10 years ago, so no kidding the original warranty had expired. They also implied in the letter (on the letterhead it says "Dealership Repair Region: WA") that they got my information from a dealership. However I know this to be false because I got my car from a private sale from a family member. They retreived my information from the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. I know the records are public but they should not be able to access my personal information (like the cars I drive, and where I live, not to mention any other info that the DMV has on file about me) in order to mail me junk mail about a warranty I do not have and do not want.

• Sc
                      scott Apr 15, 2009

I bought this warrenty thinking it was legit, after talking to the Chevy dealership I found that they had never heard of "dealer warrenty program spd" and questioned that they would respect any claims. I called and tried to cancel. 50 minutes it took me to finally talk to someone, I was harrassed, the guy I talked to insulted me, my wife and my manhood. these guys are crooks.

• Wi
                      williamsdf Mar 02, 2009

I got a notice in the mail that time was expiring and I was told I only had today to decide about GMC extended warrenty. He was also very insistant that there have been a lot of problems with the particular vehicle we purchased and he was very suprised and disappointed that we were not provided with the opportunity at the time to purchase the extended warrenty...therefore he was doing us a favor by giving us a special rate. He even gave us names and phone numbers of better dealerships! When I called to cancel the policy after talking with my sales dealer and getting the truth, I was given a huge run around, delayed phone call waits, and zero call backs. I finally talked to someone who stated he would cancel our policy but could not provide us with a confirmation number! This company is bad news!

Service Protection DirectAvoid like a plague

I purchased the policy in January 2009 and was told also it was bumper to bumper told just last week when the u joints went out in my 2004 Avalanche they were not covered and it cost me $429.00 to have repaired at chevrolet dealer. Then this week my A/C had problems with heater cutting on when a/c is blowing have to restart car to get a/c come back on. Took to shop called them and this part is not covered and if i fix will be $1100.00 and guess what policy paid for last month. So why cancel now it is good till 2012. Tell everyone not to buy from them.

Service Protection Directdenied claim

I received a letter from Service Protection Direct which stated that my extended warranty need to be renewed. Concerned, I called the 800 # and spoke to the "manager" Mr Ron Roberts who asked me a number of questions. First, he asked for the mileage of my car. Then, if there were any problems at the time and finally, were there any lights on the dash board to indicate a problem. I assure him that there were no problems with the car and no indicator lights on. He proceeded to tell me that with my car's high mileage I would be likely to start having BIG problems! He assured me that the only cost I would incur was the $50 deductible, if I had a problem! The insurance was quite costly @ $153.00 per month so I felt confident that I was making a good decision. I live on a fixed income, with a disabled spouse and teen daughter and with only one car, I really couldn't take the chance of having to find $ for a major repair!
                      WELL...I noticed that it started leaking transmission oil the beginning of May and I would not drive it once I realized that there was a problem. I called to find out the proper procedure for getting the car looked at and made an appointment with the garage that has done my maintenance since the beginning for the year, ( oil, filters, etc.) He was unfortunately very busy with two other cars and could not get me in right away. I was borrowing neighbors cars and finally decided to call the Kia dealer and have them fix it. After all, the contract stated that it was covered. What Mr. Roberts neglected to inform me was that the car problem, (transmission), needed to be broken down to the point of the break or problem and THAT was a cost they DID NOT COVER! Kia would not work with them due to their inspection guidelines and referred me to an Aamco dealer. After much waiting and phone calls back and forth trying to find out WHEN an inspector would be coming to look at the car, he finally showed up seven days from the time I HAD TO TELL AAMOCO TO dismantle the trans. In Feb. when I took out the coverage there were NO problems with my car until it started leaking trans fluid in May. So, why was I told that my claim was denied? And, why did the Aamco dealer, not Service Protection Direct have to give me the news? Because they are nothing but scam artists with all the right answers and take your $ with no intentions of providing you with any service what so ever! The inspector said that it was a pre-existing condition. I suppose that any breakage could be stated as a pre-existing condition just to get out of their contract! If my own mechanic never noticed a problem when he serviced my car, then it was not something very obvious or could be seen during a regular maintenance check up! Unless there was a problem that warranted a further look, there would be no reason TO LOOK!!!

1 Response
                        • Pa
                          patterson_drywall Aug 03, 2009

My name is Dennis Patterson and they are telling me they cant fix my car becouse i dont have service records from my pass cars wich has nothing to do with the coverd truck if anybody can help me or know who i can go to my email is [email protected] and my number is [protected] lets not let them still from pool people any longer, PLEASE.

Service Protection Directmail

I have been receiving junk mail from this company for an extended period of time. It has proven worthless to tell this "business" to quit. I have emailed them and phoned them telling them to stop but they are too stupid to comply. The latest junk mail was trying to sell me an extended warranty for a vehicle that I do NOT own. It is time for them to permanently stop wasting my time with their junk mail. I will NEVER do business with them.

Service Protection DirectCompany misrepresented service

I am dissatisfied with this organization because services were misrepresented by a telemarketer on June 28, 2008. I encouraged the company to pull the audio tape of the the sales call on that date and take appropriate action against the employee. I asked for a refund when I called on September 30th and spoke with a customer service manager to express my concerns. I faxed a letter asking for a refund check, per Mr. Sammons' instructions, and was advised that I would receive a refund in 6-8 weeks. It has been 8 weeks and I have not yet received my refund.

• Updated by Pamela McLain · Dec 02, 2008

7 Responses
                              Protection Direct Rep Mar 17, 2011

We try to ensure that all refunds are sent in a timely manner. Please email [email protected] with more details about your specific case and we will look into the issue immediately.

• Mi
                              missmirta Feb 16, 2010

I am still currently waiting on a refund from these guys as well. It has been a little over 3 months and I have still yet to have received a check in the mail from these people.

DO NOT...I REPEAT... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!

• Ei
                              Eileen Seagraves Jul 28, 2009

If anyone out there can help me get my money back, I would really appreciate it because I can't believe my complete and utter stupidity for falling for such a scam. I am normally very cautious with these kinds of things but I am totally disgusted with myself. I heard there was a settlement that was reached and I am hoping that someone out there can help me get at least some of my money back.

[email protected]

Thanks.

• Sn
                              Snorks79 Apr 27, 2009

*******Horrible Horrible horrible horrible horrible Horrible horrible horrible horrible*******

I, of course, was the sucker and bought their stupid extended warrenty. After I had paid into it for almost a year my transmission went out and I needed to get it replaced. Low and behold even though the information I received stated I was covered, they wouldn't cover it. There didn't really give me much of an explaination as to why. I was quite disgusted and decided to cancel the stupid thing and the sales man tried to tell me how great their service was and how I should really keep it, ya right I said. Well, he never actually closed out my account so the next month rolled by and the 200.00 was taken out of my account. I called back and was transfered, no lie, 10 time before I finally got a manager who didn't seem like his head was totally stuck up his ###, boy was I wrong. He said I had to wait 10 business days to receive a check in the mail with the money they took out without authorization form me. So I waited and waited and waited, 10 business days went by. I called on the 14ths business day and spoke to a manager who said it was mailed out that day. Are you F**cking kidding me, I already waited the 10 days I was supposed to for my money and now I have to wait longer because you guys probably screwed up again? I asked to speak to his manager and was told and I quote, " this phone call will not go past me, I am the manager and the check was sent in the mail... excuse me, who the hell are you to tell me who I can and can't talk to? We'll see about that, I said. I called back and received the corporate number and put in a formal complaint in regards to the whole process... Stan, if you're reading this, ' KISS MY ###'

• Gd
                              G Darnell Apr 25, 2009

I received a final notice letter about my vehicle factory bumper to bumper 36 month, 36, 000 miles coverage is about to expire or has already expired and to call immediately. I went to a Ford Dealership in Louisville, KY and talked to the Manager in the Maintenance Dept and he looked at the Contract and thought it sounded good, I went ahead and signed up paying $200.00 down and $160.28 for 18 months, I have two payments left, I am sick now, I called Service Direct in August 2008 to make a name change and the lady, Camille was very short talking to me, I asked to send me a new contract, she said they would and I never got a new contract. I am contacting the Missouri Attorney General. This company is a big scam, fraud source. G Darnell

• Li
                              lindasuebob Dec 15, 2008

This is such a fly by night fake fraud company. I received a letter stating my vehicle warranty was expiring from Service Protection Direct. I called and asked them which car the warranty was expiring on. I do have a car the warranty is expiring on but was 99 percent sure it was fake. They said oh I can't find the records right now so just go ahead and renew your warranty. I said which vehicle is it, I own five. They said oh we can't get the records to come up right now on the screen blah blah blah. I said you are such a liar, misrepresenting Ford, Toyota, Cadillac, Chevrolet etc, every single vehicle owner you are contacting with fake letters. So I said okay I am reporting your company to the authorities. They just laughed, the jerks. They need to get a real job.

• Vo
                              Vorathee Scott Dec 04, 2008

I was cheated by the same company "Service Protection Direct". I had filed a claim with them but the company refused to cover it since I had a $100 deductible, but the repair was $97 so they refused to cover it.

I am going to cancel my policy with these people and hope to get some sort of refunds back from them. In addition, I am going to file a complaint with my State Attorney General's office and the BBB regarding this company.

PLEASE ANYONE THAT READS THIS *** DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANY EXTENDED OR SERVICE WARRANTY FOR YOUR VEHICLE WITHOUT CHECKING WITH THE DEALER OR MANUF DIRECTLY FIRST TO BE SURE THAT IT'S LEGIT. *** YOU DON'T WANT TO REGRET IT LATER.

Service Protection DirectHarrassment

My Father died 18 months ago. He purchased a GM truck in 2005. They have been told multiple times that we have no intent to extend the warranty. I have told these people I am not interested in their extended warranty multiple times. They continue to send materials to my fathers home and bother my mother with phone calls stating this is our "last chance" to renew this extended warranty. I do not want the extended warranty and want the phone calls and mail to STOP!

3 Responses
                                Protection Direct Rep Mar 17, 2011

We certainly don’t want to keep sending you mail you don’t want to receive – that’s just a waste of your time and ours! To be taken off our list, please email your customer ID (should be on the letter you received) to [email protected] and you’ll be removed immediately.

• Jg
                                jgibon Apr 03, 2009

This company called my cellular phone at least three times a day for weeks on end, finally my husband was sent a letter through the mail detailing the warrenty program. With no knowledge of the infernal calls I recieved he spoke with the an SPD representative who harrassed him for several minutes about buying coverage, at one point my husband asked if he could call back after he spoke with his wife and the rep. insisted that he need not speak with me and told him he must buy the coverage NOW or not buy at all. After being beraded for nearly 15 minutes by several different representatives and "managers", my husband and i both were fed up and asked that the company please not call either of us nor send any mail. However the phone calls have still not stopped. The actions committed by this company are annoying and very suspicious, anyone who may recieving calls and letters from them now should be very wary of this incredulous company.

• Sh
                                Sherri Sommer Nov 25, 2008

These people should be run out of business!! I have the same complaint. They call me constantly on my cell phone and home phone with an automated message stating my warranty is running out and I need to renew it immediately. And, they clutter my mailbox with the same notices. I'm tired of their BS and their VERY UNETHICAL business practices!! There should be a law barring this kind of solicitation!

Service Protection Direct — Customer Service - Harassment

I received a letter from this company to contact them to purchase Extended Warranty on my vehicle. I first...