Strategic Book Publishing AEG Publishing GroupFraud

I have a publishing contract with the AEG Publishing group that was arranged by Writer Literary Agency. The book ZER Greenhouse Emissions - The Day the Light Went Out - Our Future World was published in October 2008 and I purchase from them 300 copies to be shipped to me as the author here in Australia. They indicated in the contract that until there were 300 copies (not including the copies I purchased) there would be no royaties payable. The sales reports indicate that only 24 copies have to date been purchased. Although this seem unusual as all the work I have been doing to sell them I did not question these figures. I paid them funds to represent me at the New York book fair in May also US$250. I then subsequently paid a furthe $395 to have them produce an e-book of the title. They forward a free PDF copy to me and the royalties were to be 50% of all e-books sold. I have been working every hour I can to sell the book and direct buyers to the web address for the book at the publisher http://www.eloquentbooks.com/ZEROGreenhouseEmissions.html and know many have reported to me that they have purchased - My royalties have not show up on the statement via royalties page. Today I did a seach to be horified to see that the whole of the operation from Writers Literary to the AEG publishing Group is a scam. This could cause the demise of our not-forprofite environmental education foundation .

Please advise me what I can do -- Please treat this with the utmost urgency

130 Naranga Place Stoneville Western Australia 6081
+[protected]

• Pm
    P. M. O'Brien May 23, 2014

I too published a novel with SBP. I also signed up to have it marketed in a variety of ways, throughout many countries, including China and India. I wasn't sure about China, for the obvious reason of a language barrier, but I figured I might "wow" them in India; at least, I could count on many English speakers. But guess what? Despite all the money I paid this outfit, my sales came to less than a dozen. And they didn't even pay me for them! I'm left with a novel with a nice cover and a decent story, and I don't have one earned dime to show for it. This outfit is operated for crooks and by a bunch of slick con artists. I haven yet figured out what, if anything, can be done about, but one thing is for certain -- it damn sure pays to do your homework! I should have checked this company out, before I did anything. For what it's worth to anyone else, don't make the same mistake. Always check first!

• Yb
    Ybredne Apr 12, 2014

3, 856 books promoted on Amazon.com, published by Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Co.
    Here's the search link, or you can do the search (using the "advanced search" on Amazon.com) yourself:

• Th
    ThomasU May 11, 2013

I should write a book about the last two years of living with Suzann Durrette (who works for Robert). Needless to say after witnessing Miss Durrette working and answering the phone to customers while intoxicated several times with her massive alcohol problem, in addition to her being a sociopath, putting me in the hospital twice with physical assault, driving intoxicated regularly, a liar and a cheater. And I just caught Suzann Durrette cheating on me with a 26 year old and has been for over 3 months (Suzann is 47 years old), and hasn’t paid state and federal income tax since the start date of her employment (which she is being reported to the IRS).

So it doesn’t surprise me why she works for this Robert M. Fletcher.

And the tax fraud that she is does accounting and book orders with Strategic Book Group and she has to attend for questioning Tuesday in Port Aransas TX in regards of this lawsuit against Robert M. Fletcher and his many alias business names.

I would recommend staying away from this company.

Janet Logan Feb 25, 2013

I signed a contract with SBPRA in July of 2012. They offered the services of an editor to read my book for a fee. I thought it sounded like a good investment and sent my check for $200. The "editor" who supposedly proofread my book had an Indian name and evidently did not understand English punctuation. He made no recommendations for content, but re-wrote a number of paragraphs with ridiculously wrong punctuation. It turned out that I was the one proofreading his suggestions in order to correct all of his mistakes! The book has been published, with wonderfully creative cover art; I was delighted with that. Now I have been asked to sign up for participation in book fairs scheduled in 17 different countries for the rest of 2013. I have e-mailed several questions about the book fairs, including a request for a list of the 17 countries. I was thanked for my questions and told that I would receive a reply in 2 or 3 days. Participation in the book fair option costs $1, 000, and the deadline is February 28th. I am still waiting for a reply to my questions. Right now I am thinking NO.

• El
    Eleonora Shah May 10, 2012

Never ever I will work again with Strategic Book Publisher. They drive me crazy for 6 month. 6 times I was asking change my name. They can not print like I was asking them. I sent pic of already print example, but they did different - like a calendar. And they put together first cover and flyleaf but it must be back cover. They for 6 month could't understand that it must be hard cover, they want make soft. And many many other things. And they don't return money back. They say - Sorry that we can't make how you need, but we will not return money because we did a work... now I spoke with other publisher and they do the same. They want money today, now, the same second, if you don't have then find them TODAY... I think it is not normal. Example of cover.
    If you want find some information about publishers find first Victoria Strauss. She have a blog and internet page, how to protect self from bad publishers. Shame I found her late.
    Eleonora Shah

Comments

• Sh
    sheeperly Mar 09, 2012

I've been given a green light by Strategic recently so i thought I would browse the internet a bit and see what people have to say about them. Well I'm sure that you all know it isn't exactly good out there as far as opinions on Strategic go. In another way the last message on here by Ann does strike a chord with me. I'm not really looking to make money off of my work right now (sure it would be a bonus) the biggest dream I have is to hold my own book in my hands. So who knows. Time to ponder it all.

ANN EDMEAD Jan 01, 2012

Being in England I'm limited in what I can do with promoting my book. But I will say that Strategic has done me proud and my book is now out there. That's all I wanted and I feel that they did what they said they would do. If it sells all well and good but if it does not sell . So what!! Iv done it and I'm highly proud of myself. Thank you Ann

• Pa
    Paul v Walters Dec 20, 2011

I am about to produce my second novel with Strategic and so far so good. In the new brutal world of publishing they have not to date let me down. The first novel Final Diagnosis is in wide release in many countries and feedback to date is good. Today, unless one has a big advance from a publisher and are prepared to back you, much of the work has to be done by author and publishing house together.
    As Strategic offer JV contracts you are in a sense partners and the "quid pro quo ' rule applies. Have a good relationship with them and they will have a good relationship with you.
    I met the team recently on their leg of their world promotional tour and found them to be delightful people.

Paul v Walters

www.paulvwalters.com

Pelekeh Nov 15, 2011

I'm so happy because from the messages I have read here, I have learned that Tania or WL is not a good publishing company.They also wrote me and asked me to send my manuscript. However, I have sent them three of my beautiful poems before I discovered that they are not good. I have also contacted Dorrance Publishing company for the publishing of my book.I don't know if they are real and honest. Is anyone here who know whether this company is honest and not a scam like others?
    Please if you know any good publishing company or writer agency, let me know.
    Thank you all for your messages here.
    Yours,
    T.M.Pelekeh
    Cameroon

Pelekeh Nov 15, 2011

I contacted WL for the publishing of my book which contain about 240 poems.I first sent the three of my beautiful poems and later they wrote me and asked me to send them my manuscript.After reading your messages here, I now know that they are SCAMS. I have also contacted Dorrance publishing company and I don't know if they are honest. Is anyone here who know whether they are real and honest ?Hear from you people.
    Thanks you all.
    T.M.Pelekeh
    Cameroon

Jay.76 Nov 11, 2011

I have just recieved an email from Strategic book marketing offering me a contract I was almost ready to go ahead with it but now, I am seriously considering not going a head with it seeing as they haven't even seen my full manuscript and are offering a contract, and wanting money. included in the email was a what I call cover their ### section on the list of complaints against them, after reading some the complaints I am going to take my heart and soul else where.

Dawson C. Sep 27, 2011

Try kindle direct publishing or createspace free

• Li
    LisaZ Sep 26, 2011

Oh! Thank you so much for your posts! I was ready to fork over my money, but then I called the number after hours only to get a MagicJack recording... If that doesn't scream scam I don't know what does. I searched a few of the phone numbers from the emails and website to several social media sites like Facebook and the MagicJack number came up as a financial advisor. These people have their hands in many pots and are only out for any amount of money they can get their hands on. They target the desperate, and don't care what damage they cause. I hope that all of you are able to get your books published. I think I will do more research on self publishing.

Dawson C. Sep 16, 2011

I simply told them to terminate the contact at once. It took them a couple of weeks to pull from sales but it was easy. Good luck

Pedro100 Sep 16, 2011

Can we get out of the contract? Apparently we still have all the rights to our AEG publications. Does anyone know how to do that? I have a trilogy done but it will not get picked up without the publishing company having rights to all three. Any advice would be welcomed.

ANN EDMEAD Aug 13, 2011

Well my dear friends. time will tell I have found them- the girls and people very nice Strategic and are helpfull in every way in getting my Book to print. Tumbleweed . Any changes And I will let you all know. At this moment in time Strategic has done all they could to come good for me. Im pleased as hell with them and any changes I will let you know. Ann Edmead

• Pu
    Pujas Aug 12, 2011

I am glad I came to this site ... I received a similar mail from Tania - requesting for my manuscript. I have marked them a copy. . . and after reading all these complaints ... guess that was my last communication with SBM/SBP!

ANN EDMEAD Jul 27, 2011

Well now my Dear authors, Im near the end of my editing and things are swimming alone nicly. No hastle, no angrey words and screaming fits with frustrations. . Tanya Bev David and other tragtegic staff have listend and slowly gone through the prosess to reach the point of a slight tingle in my tummy.I have found with all my new friends at Strategic an ear for my concerns sagestion for improvments and positive profesinal attitude to make my blood presure stay in the black.So Friends nothing to let you know? BUT if things change or my blood pressure goes up and my heart stops Ill sure as hell let you know. Ann Edmead (Tumbleweed)

Bronwen Jul 27, 2011

Thank you to all the people on this thread. I too received a very speedy email requesting that I email them my manuscript. However I decided to follow their rather peculiar suggestion of 'do your diligence' and followed their suggested links, which very quickly brought me here. So I will not be submitting my work to them and I hope that everyone else who considers working with them, finds their way here too.

• De
    Debolina Raja Gupta May 23, 2011

Hey...all us SP authors here...whoever is doing a self-publishing of their own work or has already done the same can let me know and I will take care to market it to many book bloggers across the globe. You can mail me directly at [email protected] and let me know the details of your book once you publish it (I especially want to work this with self-published authors but others are more than welcome) This is not something u have to pay for, but since this will be a review and a first look I will do on my blog, u will have to arrange to send me a copy of your book in India. I am a member of various international book blogs and write about various genres, reviews and authors on my blog. Would love to highlight your book and build the interest... all the best to all of us :)

• De
    Debolina Raja Gupta May 18, 2011

Hey guys, just to let you know a little more about whats happening with these publishing houses...I just happened to get in touch with this 'Tania' that everyone is talking about from Strategic Book Publishing, after sending me the same mail that I see she has also sent all of you guys out there, I asked her back that if this was also something like Dorrance I am definitely not interested as I will not pay a so-called publisher for getting my book in print, I would rather SP it any day...I am based in Mumbai, India, and this correspondence happened on the 17th May 2011. Here is her revert today, 18th May 2011:
    From:
    "Tania - Dir. of Book Marketing" <[email protected]>
    Debolina,
    If you can get your book published at no cost we wish you well. It is just not the business we
    are in.
    If you have any trouble and want to work with a top notch publisher, we hope you will again
    contact us.
    [censored] Luck,
    Tania'
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Yes they are polite and all looks well otherwise, but I simply cant trust this after reading soooooo many fraud complaints on so many different portals...Id rather start with CreateSpace any day and someday, I, and ALL OF US AMAZING WRITERS HERE will surely become published authors...Cheers n all the best to all of us :)
    Debolina

• Pa
    Paul v Walters Apr 22, 2011

When offered a contract with AEG I did my homework and indeed saw a lot of negative press. i however persisted with them and ( apart from their editing services ) I found them to be more than helpful. I think the trick is to be proactive rather than to sit back and wait for them to do all of the work.
    my first novel Final Diagnosis is in wide release now and I get emails from far flung places telling me that the book was an enjoyable read!
    Robert Fletcher wrote to me personally a few months ago which was encouraging.
    My complaints are I guess trivial but not having representation in Australia has been a little irritating but all that but that will seemingly cease this year when AEG will expand their operations "down under'
    Royalties. Well to tell the truth I havnt looked. I never expected the first book to set the world on fire as it is often the second one that will drive sales of the first.
    But so far so good and I will offer the second book to them until I hear otherwise.

Paul V Walters
    www.paulvwalters.com

ANN EDMEAD Apr 18, 2011

Hi All I decided to go with Strategic more for the exsperence and desperation. I read all the bad examples from people. At the moment my book Tumbleweed is being looked at and I hope it will be published soon. I have read the contract and now im waiting. I have been treated very well up to now.
    I will keep you people posted. I will add that Im ruled with my heart is that bad? BUT the otherside of me can be very bad and I can be a real [censor]. So watch this space. Love all Ann Edmead

BrigitteJ Apr 18, 2011

Thanks for that Angelica2. At least now, if people wish to go down that route, they will be forewarned about how Strategic / AEG are likely to handle their book. Plenty of people like to 'self-publish' these days, and the costs can escalate from what I gather - not something I would want to become involved with.

Angelica2 Apr 17, 2011

A writer I know published with Strategic Publishing and had a horrible experience. They had to pay to be published and also for editing, then they were told they should also buy marketing from the company. They got constant emails asking them to buy more goods and services. But the one thing Strategic Book Publishing DIDN'T sell was books. The writer paid more than $1000 and still hasn't made the money back (not even close).

BrigitteJ Apr 13, 2011

I'm so pleased I came across this thread before signing up with this company! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences - and I'm sorry for those who have been financially ripped off by this outfit.

Jane Moodie Feb 14, 2011

Thank you to all those aspiring authors out there like me who so much want to publish their work that they can fall into a trap like this. Because of you I have been saved the pain of such a financial rip off that I can sooooooo not afford. Like you however, the disappointment of such an experience, where their is someone out there interested in your work and wanting to help you who ends up being a hideous fraud is very demotivating and so very sad. Where does one find a reliable and trustworthy establishment that respects and appreciates what goes into writing a book. It shocks me that their are such despicable people out there. HOW DO YOU FRAUDS SLEEP AT NIGHT?

ANN EDMEAD Feb 07, 2011

I sent my book -(Tumbleweed ) to strategic publishing group. After reading so many heart rendering stories I have decided to not proseed with it. Like all pepples who write we feel strong emotions with our writing. And to be taken as a soft touch is painfull enough. Ill find another way to let the world know my story. Ann Edmead london annedmead @sky.com

• So
    sophia rendell Jan 31, 2011

I am a current author with strategic and I can not recommend them more highly.
    I have NEVER had ANY problems with them and my book is out and making money.
    I can only assume that all publishers are going to disappoint at some time to people and all you hear are the ones who got a bum deal and are not happy with there sales. lets face it, just because you publish does not mean your work is worth buying.

Dawson C. Jan 30, 2011

It was not so much what the contract said as to what the e-mails told the words partnership, global sales the promise of all their expertise in marketing. I was told that I would get $4.00 per sale so after 250 sales I would have my investment back when in reality I am getting $1.38 per sale. I am sure that I am not the only one out there that was misled. There was no mention of ANY further money until after my book was printed then money for this and money for that and what about this and that. I am not rich and I do not have a degree in marketing. Their e-mail told me that they could recoup their investment after a couple of years. My question is when are they going to invest to this date they have not invested anything which is the total opposite of what they implied and promised. Lately the only word I get from them is trying to sell me another one of their plans or strategys. I think that the main thing that people are complaining about is that they promised the world and gave us a turd, plain and simple. Am I not right?

Angela M OBrien Jan 30, 2011

ok, im just about to go into business with this company, when i was directed to this site by a reader of mine from facebook. I appreciate all your complaints and such but not one of you has said your taking the path i am taking. I am not doing a joint venture with them. I am doing a 100 pre sales which only costs 150 which i get back at the sales target, this venture also claims a thousand dollar bonus at a thousand sales.
    I have a cert 4 in marketing, so that i can do myself via facebook (www.facebook.com/angelaobrienphotography) and also on my webpage (www.angelamobrien.weebly.com) Iam waiting a few days to go ahead with them, i will be doing some more research now but my library has happily agreed to take copies of my book either via purchase or donation. I have read the contract three times, with a very fine tooth comb and have found it to be just. I have a printed copy of the contract which will be kept for my records. Once a contract is signed by both parties, then both parties are legally bound to abide by the laws of said contract.
    If any of you can give me a bad example you have had by entering a pre sale agreement with them, i would love to hear it. And another question in support of cynthia, did it ever occur to you guys that maybe there are no other happy customers on this post, simply because they see no need to look up trash posts??? Every company has bad press, even department stores. In australia, we as a nation, hate telstra, but that doesnt mean they dont have happy customers.

Angela M OBrien
    Writer of
    Young Love
    and
    Family Ties
    with more to come. :-)

Dawson C. Jan 22, 2011

We all learn from our mistakes. We have been brought up thinking that we can trust others and the truth be known you can not trust anyone. Author -Dreams

Dawson C. Jan 22, 2011

I also have entered into this JV with them. At first being a new author I was very pleased that a publisher wanted to publish my work and at first I understood about the JV however when my book was printed and I became a one income family and could not pay anymore they pretty much dropped me. I had researched them and did not find anything but a 2008 complaint which did not amount to much. The past year I have learned so much and will continue with my writting hoping to seek out a honest publisher.
    Dawson C. Walton

• Ba
    Barbara Kirk Jan 16, 2011

I'm just blown away by all the complaints I've read. I've basically experienced many of the same things the others have gone through. I was seriously considering sending them the $995 they want to start the publishing. I was offered the Joint Venture and told my story was marketable. I paid them to critique the story and received excellent results. At my husband's urging, I began blogging to find out what others had to say about Strategic. The comments on their own site made them look they were the best in the business. But Jim told me to check outside their site to find out what people really thought about them. I'm glad I checked this site. I'm going to e-mail them and tell them to delete my manuscript from their files. I'm so disappointed because I write Christian romance and God has a message to hurting people through my stories. Now I have to consider other options.

• Di
    dimitra ekmektsis Jan 10, 2011

I have a similar complaint about CREATESPACE! They never marketed my book, "Secret Confessions Of A High-Priced Call Girl" and they sold maybe 1 or 2 copies per month. I found a real publisher, and my sales instantly went up to sevral hundred books per month! Coincidence? No, not at all. Createspace only wants your money, and they do nothing for authors. Nada, Zip...

Dimitra Ekmektsis, author of "Secret Confessions Of A High-Priced Call Girl"

• Ho
    Hoa Minh Truong Jan 01, 2011

Hi.
    I am author of The Dark Journey: inside the reeducation camps of Vietcong, released on February 15, 2010. As a first author with EB and AEG, I would like to share an experience to whom wants to know about the book published. I have seen my book on the most popular onlines, a lot of people bought and got it at US, Canada, Australia...my book is being on the National Library of Australia and the others of Victoria, Western Australia...I attended the World Book Expo at New York on May, I also received the royalty commission as well. These facts confirm my believe on the publisher, so I have signed an agreement for my second book" Good Evening Vietnam", it will be released soon.
    A time, I went to a shop in Australia and read a phrase being at front door:" Confucian said: a man who chooses a lot, then gets nothing"
    Hoa Minh Truong.
    ( Ex-lieut of ARVN, P.O.W)

• GeorgePhilip Dec 29, 2010

Even though it is still not 100% clear to me when I should contact SPB or EB or whatever other org, I managed to agree on a 50/50 JV with SPB and pay the 995 USD fee plus an additional 495 USD for book fairs. Adios savings. I just finished editing and submission for review. Now I read this board and I am not happy at all. But at least I am warned about possible pitfalls, and I thank you for that. Early 2011 things should be moving. I'll keep you posted here.

• Ro
    Ronald Madigan Oct 27, 2010

Well hello all you helpful writers
    I have paid Strategic $2700 US. Right now I have an editor called Bev working on the script. I can say the first edit was snappy, and, naturally, I plundered it again, so the poor thing is tidying it up for me.
    Ah well. You know I have always believed that where there's smoke there's fire. But it seems the whole village is burning bright. You see I am new to the net, it takes me time to work things out, but thanks to you I won't make a mistake with my other two novels. I truly appreaciate your assistance.
    Now to something even more important. I need your oponion on the following.
    It is my belief doctors are killing our kids. Individuals suffering depression are labeled bi-polar. This, they say is incurable, but it takes away all hope of them recovering.
    What a load of bunk! It is simply their negative thought pattern that needs new direction. I know, because after 15 years on valium I am finally free - and my thinking is clear. I hear the chirping blue brested finches.
    Please tell me your thoughts. Was this organized by pharmaceutical companies?

• Vo
    vonciepoo Oct 25, 2010

I just sign an joint off with this company about four months ago. Tania was my contact by email. I feel so stupid, I should have checked into the company more. But, I like you all was excited to have my work in print. I wasted alot of money and time with this and now, I'm very dicouraged.

• Trevor Timbs Oct 21, 2010

Good info', Ronald.
    I would say Lulu is the best option...I know people who have used them and the feedback has been ultra positive.

Cheers, Trev'