Steam SoftwareUnethical business practice

J Review updated:

Steam / Valve Software is an online software delivery service.
Those who are into online gaming will be familiar with Steam.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)

I purchased a software title from Steam. The software did not work and required a patch from the company that wrote the software. I downloaded the patch but could not run it because all software from Steam runs on the "Steam Cloud", cloud computing where your files are stored on a server and not on your physical computer.
Steam does not have a technical support phone number so I contacted them via email.
After one week Steam replied that this was not their fault but the fault of the company that wrote the software.
I informed Steam that they sold me this software, regardless of its faults.
Steam insisted that the software should work but if it doesn't then I must contact the support of the company that created the software.
Steam took it upon themselves to state that NO REFUNDS will be given.

So, I am out $39.99
There are a few lessons to be learned here.
1. Think twice about doing business with a company that does not offer a tech support phone number.
2. Always do a search to see what other consumers have experienced.
3. Never underestimate the greed or stupidity of any company when it comes to bottom line profit.

I am stuck with a product that will never work and Steam knows this. They seem okay and have defended their business practices as being completely above-board.

Be warned that what you buy from Steam will not be yours to own but yours to use, if it works.
Always conduct due diligence on any company online.
If I had done so, I would have seen the scores of complaints, and I would have declined to do business with them.

More Steam Software Complaints & Reviews

James Lilley Aug 20, 2019

I too have had similar dealings with Steam. I preordered a game, Post Scriptum, and once it was released it has done nothing but freeze during the startup, or freeze once it gets to the menu selection screen. They give the excuse that I have exceeded the 2 week period for a refund. The preorder date was over 2 weeks before the game was even released. Every support ticket I fill out only gets the standard reply from Steam. I will never buy another game through them.

• Ri
    RichardGilbertSharpe Aug 24, 2016

I agree with you totally Jonathan. STEAM SUCKS!!! I initially thought that Steam was an interestingly efficient no hassle idea, that is until the customer begins to understand how something called "cloud computing" really works. I purchased four video games two days ago and requested a refund IMMEDIATELY within four hours of the purchase when I began to realize that there was nothing to show for my hard-earned money spent, NO DOWNLOADED GAME FILE MY COMPUTER!!! I then quickly realized that I hadn't downloaded anything tangible at all that could be used INDEPENDENTLY of the Steam software. I mean this is crazy! My video game software should be mine irrespective of Steam. As you stated
    Jonathan, cloud computing is where your files are stored on an outside server and not on your physical computer. This is very important for everyone who reads this to know! The purchased video game downloads are somehow integrated into the Steam software program that the customer has no choice about installing on his/her computer. As soon as I realized this and saw nothing (no file) that I could call MINE to substantiate or validate my four video game purchases, I requested a refund without hesitation. The refund for all four of my Steam video game purchases two days ago did come this morning just to let you know, which is the only good thing I have to say about Steam, the likes of which I will never do business with again. I don't want to buy anything that I don't "physically" own on my end, and if this trend is going to be what the future holds for online software purchases, I want NO PART OF IT! Good-bye and good luck!

• Ge
    Genesect_Films Apr 10, 2016

I know that steam has made the new update for the hold on items needing to trade and I think that 72 hours to wait is enough but what I got was just ridiculous. I have to wait 15 days to wait for just trying to trade a few items with another player. I also cant use the items I offered while on the hold. I think that steam really needs to lower the time for the trades because 15 days is ridiculous.

• Ga
    Gary Hollman Aug 06, 2015

Irecentlyreformattedmycomputer toinstallWindows 10 . Ibackedeverything upwithusernames and passwords so I KNOWtheinformationiscorrect . Ihad noproblemsaccessing mygamesthrough cBattlenet or OriginbutSteam justwon'tallowmeaccess to my account .I'vespenthundreds ofdollars ongamesthatrequire Steam account toplay . I've reset mypassword FIVEtimesandstillwon'tallow me toaccessmyaccount. NOSUPPORT ORcustomerservicewhatsoever. EXTREMELY PISSED RRIGHT NOW!!! HOWCANTHEYGETAWAYWITHSUCHOUTRIGHTTHUGGERy?

• Ar
    arcee72 May 30, 2015

I bought Wolfenstein The New Order last July, and it installed okay. In December, I bought Skyrim II and added it to my Steam Library. Afterwards, I could no longer play Wolfenstein. After fighting with the software for several months, I uninstalled Wolfenstein and tried to reinstall it. I could not find the Product Key on the jewel case, or on any of the DVDs. Then I found out why. Apparently, Steam Product Keys are one-time use, only. You cannot reinstall any Steam game because it will not accept a Product Key that has already been used. That means that if your game software becomes damaged, or if you purchase a new computer, you have lost that game -- and your money. I decided to uninstall and reinstall Skyrim II. I successfully uninstalled it, but when I tried to reinstall it, the download folder was empty. Apparently, the game installer deletes the file after the game has been installed, so that it can never be installed again. This is taking anti-piracy a step too far, and I make this promise: I will never, EVER purchase another product that involves Steam.

• Wa
    Warman1138 Feb 26, 2015

I had radeon rewards coupon to redeem and it took 3 days to download one game, I kid you not 3 FREAKING DAYS! Besides that they won't acknowledge the second game I tried. When I tried to download it, it didn't. Instead I got the download complete message when nothing happened. And now all they do when I inquire about it is nothing and nothing sucks. It seems that all Steam is, is a scam that does enough business to stay above obligations and thugging their way through theft and deceit of their customers. And that's not the least of it. Customer satisfaction appears to be a virtue they do not value, unfortunately too many games require their involvement freeing the manufacturers from responsibility of an unworkable or defective product. Ripping off the occasional customer outright just adds a little more for the bottom line.

• Bu
    bub234 Oct 17, 2014

they hacked my bank card and I tried to get a hold of them thru site and was sent to a site that does research on stem power. scam scam scam

• Ah
    ahammar Sep 25, 2014

I too am having trouble with Steam. They are impossible to reach anyone BUT use extension 101 to reach the founder Gabe Newell or the billing person Melissa at 592

• Ze
    Zededd2000 Sep 02, 2014

If you have any problem with steam, it stands to reason you'd contact the support, right?
    Well, after waiting a week for a reply, you will just get some automated response. Don't understand the relevance of that response? Their response is the exact same words again!
    Don't like that? After four or five messages, you will eventually get forwarded to talk to the community... who will subsequently crucify you for your views.

• Wa
    wagir63 Jul 09, 2014

Looked at my bank account this morning and Steam had taken out $50, $1.28, and $1.76. We haven't used this service in almost 4 years!! Already contacted the bank

• Pe
    Peterwon'tbuysteam Jul 09, 2014

I agree, this service is ###, would not recommend and will not buy any product connected to steam!

• Re
    Really Steamed May 02, 2014

I agree. What a bunch of hustlers. Now they are offering to let you buy games that are not fully tested and selling them as pre release. My $18. I'll never buy another thing from them. Be warned and beware..

Sammybug Feb 20, 2014

I bought Killing Floor as a gift for my son, sent it through Steam to his account, the game worked and when he exited the game it wouldnt work again coming up with a runtime error. I contacted Tripwire and they said the laptop my son had, has an integrated graphics card which the game isnt compatible with, I didnt know this as not being technically minded in any way, but no where on the specs for the game does it say it wont work with an integrated graphics card, now I cant get a refund eventhough steam know it wont work, not good, my son wanted COD Ghosts but no way will I buy through steam again

LordDagmore Jan 05, 2014

STEAM is big and bad and I mean bad in the bad way not the good way.

They do not even attempt to assist customers or offer refunds when the software doesn't work they way it should.

Shame on you STEAM!!!

• Ev
    Evil_ol_man Apr 01, 2013

Maxvlad, if Steam is stealing money from your bank account without your consent, have the bank stop paying them, Contact the FBI, because that is theft through interstate commerce and is punisable under Title 18.

• Ev
    Evil_ol_man Apr 01, 2013

I Purchased Fallout New Vegas retail, I went to install it, I had a Duplicate Serial Number, Steam was of little help. I finally got it registered, 10 days ago, I purchased, the Add on Modules for Fallout New Vegas, and began experiencing repeated crashes, lost game saves, poor preformance, lock ups. Repeated Attempts to get the problem fixed, by not only Steam, and Bethsoft, I am Now out $69.94 for a game that Does not Run!!! Steam/Valve Corp needs to be Investigated by the Federal Fair Trade Commission, and put out of Buisness!!!

• Ra
    Randy Mc Nov 15, 2012

I agree. I spent two hours trying to fix a download and when I gave up I asked steam for a refund. Thye replied they do not offier refunds or exchanges. Do not do business with this company.

• To
    Tom Simpson Apr 27, 2011

I cannot get access to my games; I have asked for support on a number of occasions but get no reasonable replies.
    After 3 months I still cannot get online to play games.
    What can I do?

• Fe
    fedupwsteam Mar 09, 2011

That site truly is a headache and they do jerk the people around A LOT.
    One day I could not log into my account and was told I had no account with them etc.
    Took me two weeks of going back and forth with them to get my account back and never got an answer to why the account was lost in the first place.
    If this happens again I will turn the problem to the general consumer complaint form, address below.
    If enough people report them they will have to answer for the mistreatment to the players.

Maxvlad Dec 17, 2010

For those of you interested, there is now a "Boycott Steam" Facebook page. Please share it with your friends and see if we can get enough representation to get these developers to start paying attention to the consumer again!

• Ri
    ripped off 2010 Sep 20, 2010

I have one better steam took money out of my bank account and i did not buy anything. They will not return my calls. and email corispondence take 3 days to get a answer only to ask for info i have provided 4 times already. going to the bank to dispute the charges. as working with steam is a waste of time.

lordraptor1 Aug 25, 2010

another thing is that if you buy your software in store and dont have internet and cant install teh game you are screwed, steam and teh game manufacturer have your money and no longer care about you. store will NOT take it back if opened due to copyright laws and steam refuses to give refund for somethign that is clearly their fault due to not stating it on packaging while at the same time stating "it is the users/consumers responsibility to interpret "internet connection required for activation" as "internet connection required for installation", well if internet conection required for activation means wont install without internet please tell me why all of my original NON steam store bought dow games installed without internet connection and ran just fine?

lordraptor1 Aug 25, 2010

new issues with steam, i purchased dow 2 from walmart only to have it NOT install. according to steam internet is required to install teh game and claim it is on the package as such. well on my package i see NOTHING that says "internet connection required for installation" so now buying software in a store is pointless because it is apparently downloading through steam anyway which instead of taking a max of 30 minutes with my software installs it takes days due to crappy steam servers. i advise everyone to steer clear of games carrying the steam or valve logo and also any games that are partenered with steam or valve for digital distribution. unless you want to have long install times and and even longer if an update is required as those take just as long or longer than game install.

• Di
    Dirk Fennell Mar 28, 2010

I strong agree with what Jonathan has written as i have had a very similar problem. My game did work though for about 5 mins, after which i was kicked from the server i was on for having the unrecognised software/driver. The game was Call of Duty: World at War. I have since bought the cd version and all is well. So I would presume that it is the steam software that is required to run the steam downloaded games is at fault! I am still negotiating a refund, but thing look bleak, as steam have also informed me that they don't offer refunds :(

Watch this space.