Menu

CalAtlantic Homes  -  backyard of home

P
Author of the complaint
4:35 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We are filing this complaint to express our grief, disappointment and concern for the lack of safety that Calatlantic (Ryland) has surpassed when developing a secure barrier between Waxhaw Marvin Rd. and our property and the outer barrier of the Cureton community. My wife and I fell in love with Cureton, for its beautiful homes and greenery, however we’ve always questioned the aesthetics and safety of the land that touches Waxhaw Marvin road. When we purchased and walked our property back in November 2013 at 9012 Rochedale Place in Cureton, we asked Ryland and George Siek (the builder at the time) if the developer would put in a barrier to protect our property from Waxhaw Marvin Rd. We were never given a clear answer, however prospective neighbors who were also concerned about security from the road got a barrier of trees in order to sell the inventory home; and we got nothing! Since then my property has been filled with trash from passerby’s, people on leisure walks and any other activities that people in the community feel fit. We take pride in our property and community (Cureton) and the lack of a protective barrier does not allow that pride to be shown. We were promised by George that we would have a "privacy tree barrier" between the backyard and the road (6 trees were left). Standing on a wooded lot, this promise was very deceitful. Telling a homebuyer that they would receive a tree barrier to block the road from the yard and then it actually only being 6 trees?

However the most important part of this problem is the safety issue. Someone threw a beer bottle out of their window as I was watering the trees and grass, coming close to hitting me, but on July 21, 2014 came the ultimate fate of what my wife and I have been worried about. A woman driving her F150 hydroplaned off of Waxhaw Marvin Rd. and into my backyard. If anyone in my family was in the backyard, anyone could have been hurt or even worse, KILLED! We are demanding that something be done immediately to resolve this concern. We feel that a berm or a privacy wall should have been installed at the very beginning and would be the most effective resolution, in that it will create an effective protective barrier and an aesthetic barrier to the community. We pass so many communities in our travels (photos included) and I see so many beautiful berms that have trees, plants etc., and some that are just mounds of dirt covered with landscaped sod. Both are beautiful and serve a purpose. Considering our home is a $500k+ home, it’s an embarrassment that Ryland/Cureton didn’t want this setup for this side of the community. In conversation with Kara on July 24, 2014, it was agreed that our property was the ONLY property in Cureton/Ryland that touches the road that does not have a protective/ aesthetic barrier. When I complained the 1st time a couple of years ago, Robert Bennett (Division President) came to our home and didnt provide much assistance. He had 4 or 5 trees installed between the backyard and the road (not fixing the issue at all, just putting a band aid on the problem). We never accepted this a resolution but if he was willing to add trees, so be it!

More recently we have experienced the icing on the cake. We have since placed our home for sale July 2016. We have received a ton of visitors to the home (approximately 50; 5 didn’t even come into the house). The road is literally in the backyard and potential buyers have said "why didn’t the home builder install a barrier between the yard and the road. This is a deal breaker!" We CANNOT SELL OUR HOME because of the lack of concern from Ryland. Several local builders have stopped by and said they dont think the yard is distanced legally from the road. I reached out to Darren Dupree prior to filing my formal complaints. He has no interest in listening to our concern or helping us with our issue. Literally went to "the books" and gave me an answer that he came by our house, saw the concern and his decision is final that he won’t help. Because 4 trees were installed does not relieve Calatlantic from addressing the actual concern. I have listed my home at $565, 000, we are now down to $529, 000 and are discussing a final reduction to $510, 000 to try and entice a buyer. If there wasn't deceit on Ryland’s behalf about the tree barrier, a privacy wall installed by the builder (because the HOA will not allow us to install such a wall) or a berm and trees to block the road, we would not be having this issue. I DO NOT WANT to speak with Darren Dupree. I want to speak to someone from Corporate. I have spoken to several neighbors about cut corners Ryland took with various issues and we are seriously considering taking legal action. I really hope to hear a response in a timely manner.

More CalAtlantic Homes complaints & reviews

CalAtlantic Homes - awful experience
CalAtlantic Homes - stole thousands from us!
CalAtlantic Homes - terrible experience