Sprint PCSdeceptive advertising

At sprint.com they advertise that you can 'Upgrade to a Rumor by LG' for $0. I'm out of contract and am also eligible for Sprint's full rebate offers so I am a 'eligible Sprint customer' for this offer. Although once you click on the ad it takes you to a page that shows a maximum total discount of $230 (minus the retail price of $279). This is of course with a new 2-year agreement. While still a very discounted offer it's not how the homepage link shows it. Very misleading if you ask me.

Sprint.com uses dynamic code in their pages so they can constantly show their latest offers and what not. This is fine and think it's a good way of keeping your customers up-to-date with what the company has to offer. Although I don't think it's cool how on the same day (within seconds of refreshing the web page) you get a similar ad with a different price. I've noticed especially with the rumor sometimes it's a $49 upgrade and sometimes is a $0 upgrade.

I contacted a supervisor about this. She insisted she's never seen such an ad. I offered to send her screenshots but she would not allow it. As ti her advisable I got the link up again and clicked on it and attempted to purchase the phone online. The total was still coming to $180 - $50 mail-in rebate. I explained this to her and was just sort of told 'oh well, that's unfortunate'.

I asked if there was a person in a higher position I could speak with to ask what the deal was. If it was a mistake I'd like to inform their web master (or whoever is in charge of their site). She said that there was no one else I could speak to that would have any more information or the authority to honor that price.

Over-all I felt the constant insinuation that I was being labeled a liar or was trying to pull one over on them on the matter. I was also told there was no chance of any customer getting the phone discounted to the level that the main page was advertising.

Am I not understanding something correctly here? Anyone else feel the webpage ads are shady marketing or at least very misleading? Also can anyone make a suggestion as to whom I could send the screen shots as my 'proof'?

• Tl
    TLDL Apr 16, 2009

Imagine being a former Sprint employee. :(

Here's the thing with Sprint: for many years, they were rated as having the worst customer service in the telecommunications industry.

The reason? Sprint (like a lot of other corporations) farms out their customer service positions to huge call centers across the U.S. They give their contractors and even direct employees basically no authority whatsoever in assisting customers... just a week's training on things to say "No" to.

Ever wonder why the calls are "monitored and recorded"? It has nothing to do with protecting you as a customer. Most of the time, the calls aren't even saved or associated with your account. They monitor calls to make sure employees aren't making exceptions or giving credits... or otherwise helping the customer in a way that might cost extra money.