[Resolved] Southbeach Dietcancellation fee not explained

W Feb 15, 2018 Review updated:

I ordered the SouthBeach diet last month because I thought it would be convenient. I received the shipment very quickly but nowhere on the site did I receive a message or warning that if I discontinued my service I would be charged a $125 fee. I found out when I received an email that my automatic shipment was due to go out again and I called to stop it. The food is horrible so I decided I would just go back to food prepping myself and was very disappointed to find out I would have to pay South Beach even more money. What a waste.

• Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very sorry for any confusion regarding our auto-delivery program.

We do have a standard fee for discontinuing auto-delivery prior to receiving the second order. When a customer signs up for automatic deliveries, they are given a special discount off of the retail value of the package for agreeing to receive at least two orders.

We do have one-time order options available, however, these do not receive the same discounts as our auto-delivery plans.

When a customer decides they do not want to take a second order, the $125 is charged to make up for the auto-delivery discount they received on the first order.

We sincerely apologize again for any confusion or inconvenience caused.

If you would like us to look into your account further, please feel free to send us an email to [email protected] mentioning this review. We wish you the best and hope you have a great evening!- The South Beach Diet Consumer Experience Team

• Hello,

We are very sorry to hear about your mothers experience and would be happy to look into this for her. Could you have her email us at [email protected]? Have her include her full name, email and phone number on the account. We look forward to helping! -The South Beach Diet Consumer Experience Team

• Hello Liz,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience when trying to cancel the program. Please reach out to us at [email protected] and we would be happy to take a look at your accounts. In the email please include full name, email and phone number on the accounts. We look forward to helping!

-The South Beach Diet Consumer Experience Team

• Resolution Statement

• I agree the 125 charge is unreasonable. I didn't see anywhere that there as the fee. I'm going to contest it with my credit card co.

Jack & Mary Ann Lawford Mar 25, 2018

@every good display name take I had the same problem... did your credit card company cancel the charge for you ?

• St
    Stupid program Jun 05, 2018

I ordered one month of the food, then ordered feed for the second month and selected only the food I could actually stand to eat for the second month and received. no where did I see these items were not considered my second shipment, nor did I know I was ordering an additional order. Then, four days later an autoshipment was received. the people were rude and would not listen. I have sent the food back and disputing. There really is too much information and you don't really know what/when you can order the foods you want. In addition, i referred a friend who ordered the food. she then had a trip that was scheduled before the date of delivery. she called and they cancelled the food (not delayed) and yet the food was delivered. She is now cancelling her account also. Do not get auto ship!!! The food is terrible. Also, why would anyone in their right mind order food on the 29th of May and again on May 1st, especially if she can't eat it. I have contacted my bank and they are disputing the charge.

• Li
    Lisa W D Jun 17, 2018

I am considering disputing the charge as well. I am curious who has done this and how it turned out in the end.

• Up
    upset more than you know Nov 08, 2018

My mother ordered South beach diet plan and was a satisfied customer until just recently. She received 2 order boxes, one on one day and the second on the next day. The driver could not take the box back as it had perishables in it. So my mother called SouthBeach and they told her to keep it as they could not receive it back either since it was perishable. However, they said they could not remove the charge for the second the box, she would have to contact her bank. She has done that and they say it will be 60 days. Southbeach is obviously taking advantage of older people. Any time a company makes a mistake and charges you too much or too many times, a reputable company credits the account.

My mother was waiting on her next delivery which she thought would be this week. And she called them to find out why she had not gotten it, and they said "someone called us 10/30 and cancelled your order". My mother did not call them. She told them that was fine and to proceed with the cancellation.

If you are considering South beach, don't, they will wreck your finances and take advantage of you.

• Li
    Liz Hill Nov 12, 2018

My husband ordered southbeach and signed up for auto delivery . I called to cancel it since the food was not that great. I was told I could not cancel it without incurring a $125 cancellation fee; which is outrageous. So rather than just throw that money away, I was told I could modify the second order so it wouldn't be as expensive as the first. I did that and now a THIRD order is on it's way. I called, LIVID, to ask why this was happening. I was told I was supposed to call them to cancel after modifying the last order. Even though that was the only reason I had called them in the first place !! To cancel !! And then I go through the whole ordeal of being transferred to the "cancellation department" where I have to endure some poor call center rep force me through some questions about my weight loss journey; all in a scripted, forced cheery voice.. Cringe worthy. I was trying not to take out my anger and frustration on the rep because I've had those types of jobs, but nonetheless it was extremely frustrating. So I'm out a few hundred bucks and have NO ROOM in my freezer for this mediocre food. The south beach diet, if you just cook the food yourself, is fine. But for God's sake do not sign up for this program.

• Up
    upset more than you know Nov 21, 2018

Good luck Liz- we responded with my moms email and telephone # in regards to a similar situation 2 weeks ago and then sent contact information a week ago
    STILL NO CALL OR CONTACT FROM SOUTHBEACH!

Now we contact the Federal Trade commission and the attorney general ‘s office.
    My mom was charged for the company’s mistake and they say the bank our bank has to take off the charge. The bank says it takes at least 60 days to investigate. SO who is making interest on the money and who is being charged interest on the outstanding charge?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices