SmartStyleignored because I am hispanic

E

I would like to file a complaint against this company. Today I went to get a haircut -got there at 5:05PM & they close at 6:00PM (new year's eve). I set there for over an hour waiting & waiting. I was being complete ignored while everybody else was tended to. I was overlooked by someone whom had just walked in but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. After both ladies were done with their customers, they were at the register counting money and b...sing. The younger one was right next to me sweeping but after waiting for over an hour I stood up & put my coat on - still the young one right next to me still ignoring me. I finally left because they made me feel like they were ignoring me because I was hispanic. I started shopping at Walmart but the more I thought about it the angrier I became so I went back & told the older one that I waited over 1 hr.& was just ignored...she said sorry. I believe they wanted me to leave. I will never go back. I will be filing a lawsuit.

• Ri
    RickeNicke Jan 12, 2009

I visited the SmartStyle inside of a Wal-Mart for a trim. My hair was a few inches past my shoulders in some places (it is layered). I was asked what I would like to have done. I told the beautician I would like a shampoo, trim, and a blow-dry. I asked her if they still charged $1 for conditioner, and she said, "Actually it's $3.00 now, " so I told her no conditioner. Thought that might have tipped her off that I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a trim. So she trimmed my hair, used a blowdryer and a brush. When she was done, my bill was $41.45!!! You read it right. I about fell in the floor. I wasd charged the $13.95 for the ADULT SHAMPOO and CUT, $17.50 for SHAMPOO AND STYLE ADVANCED, and $10.00 for SHAMPOO LONG LENGTH ADD. This is insane. I would like to know where I can complain about this. I would never have paid this much for a haircut and blowdry. She didn't even use a curling iron or hairspray on my hair, so I'd like to know what kind of advanced styling was performed. If anyone has had this same problem and has complained somewhere, please let me know where. This is ridiculous.

• At
    atiff Feb 16, 2010

You people think just because we work in Wal-Mart that the haircut should be cheeper and it's not that way because we have the same qualities as a private salon. your hair is long and you think you wouldn't leave out of a private salon paying cheaper no that's why you came to Wal-mart looking for a cheeper price

Shannon36535 Jan 01, 2011

How can you throw the race card if you didnt bother to stand up for yourself and speak up? I understand why you are angry, I would be too but they deserved a piece of your mind and walking away then coming back well, filing a lawsuit will do you little to no good since no one specifically mentioned race other than your assumption. I am sorry you were treated that way but you should definately stand up for yourself next time.

• CB44 Jan 01, 2011

I agree you should have said something and stood up for yourself. Nothing is more aggravating to me than someone who complains but does little or nothing to remedy the situation. I have noticed a lot of people that complain here at this site are wimpy and do not stand up for themselves. I'll be damned if I wouldn't speak up to each and everything I read here daily. You people need to get some backbone and give these people a peice of your mind. I can tell you anytime something happens similar to me I do not rest until I have satisfaction and it usually is not very hard to get what I want or need.

Shannon36535 Jan 01, 2011

Thats the thing CB44... you dont have to be ugly or nasty... you just have to have a backbone and some self confience and let people know you wont be overlooked then blame it on what you assume the problem is.. Fix it right then and there then people have nothing to complain about but I suppose that makes to much sense.

• Ef
    e-friend Jan 01, 2011

Typical complaintsboard.com troll responses. Always the victim's fault and victims need to just confront and stick up for themselves. Not a single comment of being the only customer in the store for almost an hour with two stylists sweeping around her and ignoring her like she wasn't even there.

Let's see, hair grows about a 1/4" a month and you guys recommend confronting someone with shears that they need to do their job and cut her hair. Oh sure and I bet you complain about your food at a restaurant and demand they fix it and send it back to the kitchen so they can do God knows what to it before they return it again to your table. Nobody should need to demand service from a service oriented business. This woman actually owns a service oriented business in our area!

The problem lies with the salon having employees that for WHATEVER reason ignored a customer as though she was invisible for an hour while she waited patiently for service. That should NEVER happen and the last thing I would do is confront both employees in a salon that obviously didn't want me as a customer and ask why I was being ignored. What would she do sit down and get her hair whacked and then have to live with it for a year or longer waiting for it to grow back to prove she has "backbone"?

Lastly, if race wasn't the issue then please suggest what possible reasons two different stylists ignored this patron for an hour and closed the place around her without saying a word to her until she returned. Please enlighten those of us that are trying to understand your pathetic trolling comment to just ignore the race card.

BTW, yes I know this lady that is 55 yrs old, Hispanic (although I actually thought she was Italian when I met her), 2nd generation American and a local business owner in LaPorte County. Like most small towns in America we've had a large influx of illegal immigrants and combine that with our largely white ignorant population and I'm pretty sure her complaint and assumption were spot-on. Every time a Hispanic name is mentioned in either of our local papers we have about 100 ignorant comments saying the person needs to be shipped back to Mexico even though nothing in the paper mentions illegal immigrant. Don't be so quick to criticize her until you've walked in her shoes and heard all the comments our locals make directly to her and while passing in the aisle. Her assumption is well based in our area and probably 100% correct.

Shannon36535 Jan 01, 2011

Then maybe you can go to court with her since you are a mindreader and the judge will give you a judgement. LOL

• Bi
    Bitch Basher Jan 02, 2011

Why don't you make an appointment for a mental makeover, *Brenda*?

People use this site to express frustrations and ask for practical useful advise. This site is not intended for vicious ### attacks by stupid ### biches like *Brenda*.

• Oh
    ohnotagain Jan 02, 2011

Next time, leave a tip!

• CB44 Jan 12, 2011

This is for e-friend first of all the last thing I would consider myself is a troll, I am only stating what I would do. I do not understand people that do not stand up for themselves, I did not say ### and complain, there is a big difference. You do not have to be rude to get what you deserve, just assertive and assured. And no I do not complain about food in restaurants and things of that nature, I'm not an idiot. What I do in similar situations is turn the situation around on them pretty much and most of the time they feel like an ###, it is all how you speak to someone, no need to be ### and nasty. That takes too much effort and it is not worth it and only can cause more problems. I vote for being assertive and standing up for what you deserve if you feel you have been ripped off, mistreated, etc., I am a self assured person that does not let people run all over me that is all.

• Ov
    Overworkedunderpaid Jun 24, 2011

I started my career in cosmetology at a local Smartstyle and would like to advise anyone wanting a job there to PLEASE think it over. If you want to be a robot or slave churning out five-minute haircuts, coming in early and staying late to clean or attend meetings you don't even get paid for, made travel to other stores in the area (being told you'll get compensated for your gas but you never see this compensation), and barely have enough money for bills/food/gas... then you may get along just fine. I, on the other hand, did not.

I was extremely nervous when I started at SmartStyle because I had just gotten my license and didn't have a lot of experience with clients. I had questions about certain haircutting techniques and my manager wasn't helpful at all, not to mention she wouldn't even let me attempt a color/other chemical service. She didn't show me how to ring up particular services, and barely showed me how to open and close the salon. I got criticized and made fun of because I was slower than the other stylists. Slowly I began to get better, and our old manager was replaced with someone who deserved the position. Things ran smoothly until I transferred to another salon. I worked under three managers in the course of a few months, and was told by several people the area supervisor did not like me as a person. I got in trouble several times for having my cell phone at work, when I only used it in the back and/or on my break, and had my hours cut for no reason whatsoever. I was told I needed to be more productive... I was averaging $150-200 a day in service sales which I thought was good enough... not compared to a coworker who often did $400 a day in services whose haircuts took five minutes and were of low quality. I did redo's on several stylists and did not receive credit for them. Upper management kept finding reasons to get me in trouble, so I packed up my station and left one day. One of the rules is that all returned products were to be taken home or disposed of, not used on clients because they might have been tampered with... I took several returns home and was told the company would seek legal action if I did not bring them back, along with stylist samples (which were sent to us by various product lines AS GIFTS) and products which I had paid for myself. It has not been fun. I regret working there and wish I would have started out with a private salon. I came home tired and cranky every night from working my butt off for peanuts. I gained weight from eating fast food because I was never home long enough to cook a decent meal. I stayed stressed making goals for myself so that I would have money for bills and to live on. They tell you you are guaranteed minimum wage if it equals more than your commission, but also tell you to clock out at times during your shift if it is slow because if you are "out of commission" more than 2-3 pay periods, you will be fired. This company is very unfair, likes to get rid of its most dedicated workers, and upper management is a joke.

• St
    stylist1 Aug 05, 2011

I bet that she came in at 5mins till they were going to close and wanted them to cut her hair not think they have kids at home of hubby at home waiting to spend new years eve with ... places like that are horrible to work for they treat there stylist like hell pay very little ... you get what you pay for ... If you want to get a great cut better customer service pay more than 15.00 for a cut ... stylist here thanks

• Mi
    missgranger Oct 01, 2011

When I called the salon the woman working there was from the beginning not polite. I asked her 2 simple questions, how busy are you and can I come in at any time to get my hair dyed. After 30 seconds I was so frustrated, and ended just forget it. I ended up going in the salon anyway because my mom needed her hair done that day and every one else was closed.

At the salon, there was only one stylist working and she was trying to talk my mom out of not getting her hair done, saying ohh its going to be $130 are you sure?? Over and over. My mom said yes its fine. As the woman was doing her hair, she didn't say a word during the whole hour and a half process.

I work in retail and find that VERY unprofessional.

Also when the woman was doing my moms hair and she dropped some dye on her smock and shouted dang it!

Just a completely unreal experience. Do not go there!

• Ka
    Kadiekatt Oct 01, 2011

Hogwarts isn't a real school *gigglesnort*

• Es
    Esmeralda Castro Jul 30, 2012

Hi and i do agree with you that the price was too high, I work for a SmartStyle myself and what you should have been charged is just the haircut itself, since you did not ask to be conditioned or blowdried and even style. If she would have asked you if you would like a haircut blow dry and style than yes it would have been extra but since you told her just the trim and no conditioner than no you should have not paid that price,

• To
    Toriana Aug 09, 2012

I got my nieces hair cornrowed at Smartstyle in Winder, GA. I keep their hair in cornrows. Their hair lasts four weeks and that is with heavy activities like swimming and going to the beach. The day after their hair was done, their hair began to come undone. I took them back in the next day to have it fixed. I was told how to remedy it at home. This was after I paid my money to have it done! Less than a week later, it looks like ###. We have not done anything that would constitute, high activity. I called and spoke with the manager, he said he would call back to reschedule an appointment. It has been two days, he has not called. I gave him two numbers to reach me, he has not called either! I just called their corporate offices. I was told that styles are not guaranteed once you leave the salon. It is not like they got a press and curl. They got braids, cornrows that should have lasted at least three weeks! After five days they looked like ###. So, be aware that even braids are not guaranteed to look good after a few days. Although, if anyone knows anything about braids, they should last a lot longer than five days. It is the main reason parents get braids done for their children. Mind you, I had extensions used, it was not just their hair that was braided. So, it should have lasted a lot longer than it has. I have only kept it in this long, about 8 days now because I want the manager to see how terrible it looks. They are sending me a gift certificate even though I will NEVER use them again! What am I supposed to do with a $90 gift certificate from Regis???????????

*Update* My Father went to the salon on my behalf and spoke with the manager. The manager then issued a gift certficate so that I would not have to wait for the one to be mailed fom the corporate office. I get the certificate in my hands and it is written out for only $88, mind you I paid out $89.90. I know it is only a $1.90 difference, but still, they found a way to piss off an already dissatisfied customer. It seemed they were saying screw you customer, we could really care less about the fact you were not happy with our services. Oh yeah, I forgot to add that when I first tried getting an appointment, no one would answer the shop phone for three days. They had turned the ringer off. The day of my appointment, I arrive and was told that the stylist would not be there that day because she was not on the schedule. I was asked to come in the next day. I could not, so the manager, Will Smith, called in another stylist, my appointment was made for 7:45PM, but then changed to 7:00PM. I feel like I worked with them on every level to give them a chance and in the end they crapped on me. This manager, Will "L.A" Smith literally ran me down in Walmart to solicit my business. He told me I would be very happy with their services. So, when you call corporate and get Katy or Ashley on the phone, just know you may still not get the satisfaction you seek and deserve. [protected] is the number for their customer relations. I think they are used to getting calls from pissed off customers and they refuse to make you happy. They have never heard of the saying, "The customer is always right".

Comments
    Comments

• El
    EljaiAres Aug 10, 2012

Working for this company was a complete nightmare. The store manager was incompetent and an extreme kowtower. She constantly criticized my work, while lacking certain technical skills herself. The pay was atrocious, and totally not even worth staying with the company for. Beyond the store manager, the district manager was never reachable, so therefore unavailable for questions which the store manager could not answer. After asking the district manager numerous times via voicemail to E-mail my vocational rehab counselor so that I could have clothes and shoes to work in, she never did. She called the store one day with an extreme attitude, and after telling her that I was feeling attacked and didn't want to work for the company because I felt like nothing was being done regarding my vocational rehab, she told me to clock out pack my things and leave. She is a very horrible person who should not be in the position that she is in. But I know a higher power is at work, and what goes around comes around. So I know that both the store and district manager will get theirs in the end

• Bl
    bloved Aug 11, 2012

I really hope your profile name isn't your real name...

• Ce
    celestial081287 Apr 15, 2013

smartstyle is not supposed to work on extensions