Skansen KennelPuppy mill

L

Do not buy a puppy from skansen kennel. I purchased 2 mini schnauzers from skansens, the first was 3 years old paid $800.00 the second was 4 months, paid $800.00. Both dogs were very sick. The old lady that owns the place gave me back the money for the 3 year old after I wrote her a letter saying the dog had to have 18 rotten teeth pulled and a number of other issues! But that was nothing, the puppy which I have had for just over a year has cost me over $6000.00! She stopped making tears at 6 months old, the old lady blew me off this time because she knew what it cost to take care of a sick dog. I had to have a tube from her saliva glands into her eyes so she didn't go blind and she will have to be medicated two to three times every day for the rest of her life. The old lady will take no responsiability for her bad breeding. Why she is still in business i'll never understand. I hope everyone reading this that cares about animals will pass on the word and put her out of business and save the lives of so many sick dogs. Two out of two isn't very good odds and speakes volumes about her breeding ability! Trust me when I say she is nothing but a puppy farmer.
I have attached a photo of my puppy diva when I brought her home and now. See for yoursel[censored]

Puppy mill
Puppy mill

More Skansen Kennel Complaints & Reviews

• Ti
    Tia Jun 02, 2009

You should try to get her shut down by the animal control and have her reported saying she is trying to rie people of while being to crewl to animals

Lorrie LHeureux Jun 03, 2009

I wrote letters and sent copies of her medical file to 6 different agencys including my congressmen office. I got letters saying they will put her on file. Lip service, thats why she gets away with it. I'm trying my best to spread the word. If people stop buying her dogs then maybe she will get the message. She is a horrable woman! She wrote a nasty rebutt to the BBB about me being a bully. Hahahahahah I will be taking my sweet little Diva to the vet every 2 months for the rest of her life, never mind the drops 3 times a day I have to give her for the rest of her life. So much for a dogs just over a year now. Breakes my heart every day. Thanks for your comment, please tell everyone you know.

• Ra
    Randy1951 Oct 20, 2018

@Lorrie LHeureux Funny, there is a guy from the East coast that has the same story. Coincidence?

• Hu
    Hustle Jul 21, 2009

You know, I had just the opposite experience and with several dogs. I had a giant that lived 16 years and on whom I put a title on both ends and the vet bills on her only came in her dotage. The second I had for 2 years, showed her, sent her back to be bred, got her daughter and repeated that only I kept her for 12 years.
    Mrs. Hammarstrom has not only treated me with respect and courtesy, she has helped me find to perfect my skills. I have never ever found a dog from Skansen that wasn't sound and beautiful. My first was Ch. Skansen's Justa Hustle, CD, and I would that I could find another just like her, but: environment, schedule, food, energy of the individuals, all enter into our experience, to say nothing of the chemical atmosphere around us. I cannot reproduce those, nor can I get a repeat breeding to go with them.
    I have visited Skansen at least 16 times and I have never encountered a medical problem among the dogs that wasn't being addressed, and it is always clean and the employees are always standing there with a smile and a hello.
    If your approach to the perceived problem was a viperous as your letter to this forum then I suggest you needed to sit down before you placed that call and calmed down and then spoken to her with respect and courtesy. I doubt seriously you did that.

Barbara Schatt

• To
    Tommy Hernandez Apr 15, 2017

@Hustle Same here Barbara, I got three Giants from Skansen's and had no health problems they lived quite old for a large breed.

• Am
    AMkadee May 05, 2017

@Tommy Hernandez So I was interested in getting a giant, purchased one from a well known breeder not Skansen's, never know whose puppies will have health issues as you can never get the truth out of them.
    So you never had problems with Skansen's with their Giants?

Michelle Griffith Oct 09, 2017

@Tommy Hernandez I've had 2 Schnauzers from Skansen's; a giant female back in 1994 and currently a standard female that I purchased in 2016. I have been to the kennel over 6 times, and the kennels are clean and all the dogs look fine, are active, and are well attended by numerous employees, as well as by Sylvia herself!! My dogs have been pet quality, and are beautiful and have amazing temperaments! I have met several others in the last year, who also have dogs from Skansen's. They too, are healthy, look amazing, and have great temperaments. I recommend Skansen's to anyone looking for a Schnauzer (mini, standard, giant). I have spoken with Sylvia several times on the phone in the last year, with questions (I follow and feed the raw diet with supplements she recommends), as well as Terri and Laina. I am sorry this gal who posted this back in 2009 had a bad experience, but I quite honestly can't believe she was actually dealing with Skansen's! Her attitude of hatefulness and trying to be destructive of Sylvia, her kennel and amazing dogs, just doesn't ring true for me!

• St
    Stacey Mateka Jan 14, 2019

@AMkadee I have known Sylvia since I was in third grade. I have brought five giants from her have shown dogs for years. She is an AKC judge and is a very respected woman.
    I’m sorry about the above woman’s puppy, but this could happen with any breeder as us humans have baby’s with defects as well. No matter how well we take care of our selves.
    Her ranch is beautiful and her dogs live like kings.
    I will never get a dog anywhere else.

• Ke
    Kelleyz Nov 28, 2019

@Stacey Mateka Her bloodline has defects in it. Our first giant from Sylvia died at age 4 after Cancer spread throughout her entire body, and into her lymph nodes. Our second giant from Sylvia, also age 4, just had his toe amputated after finding cancer, and now the cancer is back and has spread. Unfortunately this will be the second 4 year old giant schnauzer our family will be putting down. Shame on your friend. There are too many families with the same cancer, same toe amputations and same story from buying her breed. She needs to take some ownership and acknowledge the heartbreak she is putting people through, and more importantly, the painful cruel life she is making these dogs go through.

Dana I Dec 31, 2019

@AMkadee We've adopted two Skansen GS. Both died of cancer. The female at 9 years old with liver cancer and the male at 9.5 years old with toe cancer. And it's not a coincidence. The problem is inbreeding. I don't know when she is going to stop doing this.

Lorrie LHeureux Jul 22, 2009

The facts are the facts! She runs a puppy mill and sells sick dogs. Can you respect that Barbara? Yes I'm mad, and you have no idea how I approched her. So please save your judgment for the dogs, after all this is what it's all about! Do your home work and have a closer look. I doubt seriously you would do that, your to busy judging things you know nothing about. Show us your pictures of these dogs! And a little proof of this 16 year old Giant. Then maybe someone will give your opinion second thought.
    If your so happy, why on earth would you be reading the complaint files? Tell us Barbara, how did you know about this complaint? Is your name really Barbara or are you one on her flunkies on a mission to save her "good name" ha ha ha! FYI she has 6 employees for 600 to 800 dogs on that farm. Check the BBB if you doubt that too. Take off those rose colored glasses Barbara and save the dogs from the hell they have to endure day after day. Pull up Shansens on the WWW read what this woman wrote after her visit to the farm. She left in tears after seeing how those poor dogs are treated! Then we'll talk again! That is a good idea for anyone else reading this as well!!!

Peace

Lorrie

• Va
    Valerie Goss Isaacson Mar 25, 2017

@Lorrie LHeureux You know what Lorrie first you need to learn how to spell Sebastopol...2nd of all Skansen Kennels has beautiful dogs...I have purchased two...do not make allegations unless you can prove them...all fur babies have problems as a mommy take responsibility...you mentioned the cost of your medical issues...get over it that is the cost of being a responsible mommy get over yourself!!!

• De
    Deb Ulsh Sep 21, 2019

@Lorrie LHeureux I took you up on your challenge to check the BBB. I went to https://www.bbb.org/search?find_country=USA&find_latlng=38.402136%2C-122.823881&find_loc=Sebastopol%2C%20CA&find_text=Skansen%20Kennels&page=1&sort=Relevance and received the following results: Placeholder business logo
    Skansen Kennel

(707) 795-7070

5179 Blank Rd, Sebastopol, CA 95472-6101

5 mi

A+

Investigating further, I found "THIS BUSINESS HAS 0 COMPLAINTS". Checking Yelp I found 2 reviews that mentioned health problems - primarily the toe cancer that ALL Schnauzers are prone to as well as epilepsy and thyroid problems. However, there were over 50 reviews on Yelp... so I am taking all this with a grain of salt and will be cautious when the time comes for me to get another Giant, and I will at some point drive down to meet Sylvia and see her kennels. I will also drive to pick up my puppy no matter where the breeder lives as I won't subject a puppy to a terrifying plane ride.

@Lorrie LHeureux Lorrie,
    Learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're.' something we're taught in the 4th grade., and how to use a comma. People who can't write properly are rarely respected. I hope your kids have better language skills than their mother.
    george

• Al
    allirish Aug 18, 2009

I was going to get a dog from Skansen, after they retired one of the females. The day we went to pick her up, we were just leaving when the 'help' noticed that she looked a little plump. Turns out she was expecting puppies. It was obvious they had no clue, and I would swear they also didn't know who the Sire was.

My sister got her Standard Schnauzer from Skansen, and it was abnormally large. My sister loved the dog, but she commented that her vet and groomer thought there was something wrong with the breeding claims as he was just too large, yet not large enough to be a giant. If you visit Skansen, expect to be shocked at living conditions.

ssueb1 Aug 22, 2009

My experience with Sylvia and the dog she has provided to me was been wonderful. My first Giant was everything she claimed. She was beautiful and had a fabulous personality. It is amazing how she has used the knowledge of holistic and healthy choices for her kennel. When you get a dog from her you get a education on nutrition which she practices on her kennel. Healthy, Healthy, Healthy is all I can say. I have seen footage on Youtube of Skansens kennel and it looks like a very well kept and healthy environment. She has also been featured on animal planet and I do not believe that they would endorse a owner that provided a business that was less than above board. Any day now I am expecting another Giant from Skansens and I could not be more positive about who I am purchasing my next best friend from.

Lorrie LHeureux Aug 22, 2009

You will be getting a picture of my dog, wait your the other idiot. No problem I'll send you one too. Go to the farm lady before you make a fool of yourself again. We have see it with our own eyes you are obviously one of her flunkies trying desperately to save her name, which is now PUPPY MILL OWNER!

Comments

Cocka2 Jan 02, 2020

@Lorrie LHeureux again -- 'you're' would be the correct word in this sentence. It means 'you are.'

DanielCrespo Sep 01, 2009

I understand your complaint, and sorry you had a bad experience! I purchased a pup from a dogo argentino breeder in Canada! I paid 2000 for show quality pup and said I would never buy a dog I don't see first, my dog arrived def!

Now I'm curently in the market for a giant shnauzer, and the truth is that i saw the most beautiful giant shnauzers a few days a go in miramar fl! I asked the man where he bought the dogs he said skanzan. I told Him my story and he said this breeder is much different, just be clear with her for what you want! Since then I've been talking to the kennel, they sound very professional and I believe they are trying to do what is correct! If I buy a dog from this kennel, I will tell you exactly how my transaction goes and what I receive! I expect a pet quality large make! I will be back here with pictures if I buy the pup!!!

Daniel Crespo

ssueb1 Sep 07, 2009

Daniel,

I am certain you will NOT be disappointed. My new puppy will be here wednesday evening. I expect nothing but the best from Sylvia at Skansen Kennel. No matter what the issue if you need to speak to her she will do that and put your concerns to rest. This will be my second Top Show dog quality dog this one I do plan to show. I will post pictures as well. My beautiful baby girl's name is Jazell. I will post pictures once I get her as well. I would tell you good luck but you will not need it. Can't wait to see pictures

Lorrie LHeureux Sep 08, 2009

It's people like you "stupid" that help keep these animals suffering!!! Good job pal. Be proud of your self. To bad you couldn't have picked the dog up in person, maybe you wouldn't have been so stupid.

Cocka2 Jan 02, 2020

@Lorrie LHeureux in the 4th sentence, the proper word is 'Too, ' (viz. Too bad, ...). Were you home-schooled?

Lorrie LHeureux Sep 08, 2009

The old lady MUST be putting you losers up to this why else would you be on a complaint site? Trust me no one is buying your BS. And if you are stupid enough to buy from a puppy mill, then you better open your purse boys!!!

For you animal lovers, I'm still working on shutting this mill down. I always get what I want when it's the right thing. Funny how the universe has a way of taking care of things! Keep the faith and the suffering will stop.

Cocka2 Jan 02, 2020

@Lorrie LHeureux Titrate your meds, Lorrie.

ssueb1 Sep 10, 2009

Daniel,

As promised I received my puppy last night. She is very cute and very healthy. She was a little scared because of the travel but happy now that she is at my home and off the plane :). I had my vet look her over as I did with my first Scansion Giant Schnauzer and she is in excellent health ... as I expected. Attached you will see my first Giant Maxine. She was approx. 105 lbs and as you can see she loved to sleep in my elevator for some silly reason. When I took her for walks cars would stop to see her. She was the happiest wonderful dog most have ever seen. I have also attached a picture of the new puppy Jazell. She is lovely and slept most of the day, as her day yesterday was stressful.

Sorry I can only seem to post one pic at a time so I will post the new puppy on the next one.

Lorrie LHeureux Sep 11, 2009

You two need to exchange phone numbers! No one wants to hear your bull Sh--. And if you think we don't know it's BS guess again. This is a site for people with serious complaints, go play on face book.
    The farm was inspected by the humane society today, we'll see what they found. You may want to return that mutt!

ssueb1 Sep 12, 2009

You have serious problems and they are not with Skansen Kennel they are in your head. If you think your vulgar replies are buying you any value you are surely wrong. This site is for people who want the truth and one sore apple like you will not bring a well run ranch to it's knees. So I will not allow you to continue this without people seeing that there are plenty and I mean plenty of us out here are have received and will continue to receive wonderful pets from this woman. So keep up the good work on your fabulous cracked personality so people can see you for what you are. It not good for you. So like it or not I will continue to post and reply to anyone that wants to know the truth.

• Lj
    L.J.H. Sep 15, 2009

Lorrie sounds like one of the crack pots that have been around for years trying to defame Skansen Kennels. Easy to find this forum as it is listed under Skansen in a Google search. Interest in seeing which crackpot decided to write, I am aware of many of their names and Lorrie does sound familiar??

If Lorrie really had the bad experience then she didn't do what is required in the contract...take the dog to a Vet for thorough exam and if not happy send back. Lorrie accept your responsibility and from your responses can imagine that you were the ignornant one in the transaction.

I have also been to Skansens and found it a great environment for dogs, natural land, large runs and dogs very happy. My first Skansen dog was purchased just over 8 years ago and have since purchased 3 more, unfortunately one was killed accidently.

I have two Standards and one Giant, all very healthy great temperments and top quality conformation.

Anyone who is looking at Standard Schnauzers should know that they can very easily size out (this goes with all Standard Breeders)just as MIniature Schnauzers. Miniature Schnauzers have issue from all breeders.

DavenHubbell Sep 26, 2009

Hello All, I just lost the most beautiful dog of my life, Hubbell. He was a standard all black. Hubbell came from Skansen and was plagued by constant yeast infections, but I found an article on line that hit the nail on the head with the cure. It worked. For most of his life, Hubbell was happy and very healthy. In his young years he was extremely athletic pulling me all over the neigborhood on my bike. About 4 years ago Hubbell had to have a toe removed on his back leg caused, I'm told by a form of melonoma that black dogs get. Unlike the younger Skansen Standard Black down the street from me who had several toes removed for the same reason, my Hubble only had one, so I consider he got off easy. Three plus weeks ago he woke up and could not keep his balance, quickly lost his appetite, cocked his head progressively worst for about four days. He screamed all night long for three nights, and after a second trip back to the vet we decided to let him go. I could not bare to see him suffer. But let me say in all fairness, Hubbell would have been 15 years old on December 9th! All and all, I'd say he was the finest Schnauzer I've ever owned. No regrets here, just facts. When I consider he lived to 105 in doggie years, I have to say, we both got our money's worth!

• Pe
    Pensacola Beach Bob Oct 02, 2009

It appears to me that Lorrie has her shorts on too tight. First of all, I don't think she can count properly. Last time I was there I saw about 200 dogs including her own personal pets, breeder dogs and puppies. I have adopted two giant schnauzers from Skansen and they are wonderful. One is now seven and the other is thirteen. AND I am in the process in adopting another giant later this month. I really wonder if Lorrie has ever been to the ranch at all. It is amazing to see how Sylvia and her staff provide the daily care to her dogs. They really do care and do an outstanding job. If you are really thinking of getting one of her schnauzers then do so. How come Skansen Kennel has so many Champion dogs. Maybe its the way they are bred and cared for.

• Bl
    Blue's Mom Oct 10, 2009

My parents purchased a Standard Schnauzer from Skansen Kennels in 1969. Baron was a wonderful dog and as health as could be. Last year, I purchased my own Standard from Sylvia. Blue is a healthy beautiful dog who draws open admiration wherever we go. We went to the vet for rabies shot last week and the vet said he was "terrific".

• Fl
    Flip Deberge Oct 16, 2009

Lorrie, it seems you had a problem, but the ranch you described does not resemble the one I visited several years back, when considering a giant schnauzer. The dogs I viewed looked quite healthy, active and well tended, but there was no way there were anywhere near the number of dogs you suggested. "The old lady who owns the place, " has a name, and from the very beginning of your letter there is an apparent lack of civility and an overt rudeness. Have you considered the possibility that you are in need of a significant attitude adjustment? It's been my experience over a great number of years that those who approach others with a belligerent or combative attitude often wind up with less than sympathetic responses and much poorer outcomes. Your borderline paranoid accusations that all posts either defending the kennel owner or discounting your account of the facts are part of an overarching conspiracy by the owner to refute your attack is just plain ridiculous. This kennel is extremely accomplished in having produced many champion dogs which are excellent representations of what a Giant should look like, move like, act like, etc. Sorry for your unfortunate experience, but you obviously do not bring out the best in people. -Flip DeBerge

• Cr
    Creeker Oct 17, 2009

Lorrie - you're an idiot. Skansens is a breeding kennel - you expect all the dogs to live in her houe?sleep on her couch? go for Sunday drives? I visited the farm and was astounded by the fresh meat they were being fed. The staff were busy but professional and the dogs seemed perfectly happy and healthy. We had a breeding that didn't take and Sylvia had no problems with us coming back for another breeding...free of charge. once again Lorrie...you are an IDIOT...oh peace

Richard Towert

Jasonva941 Nov 10, 2009

I've purchased two dogs from skansen kennels... Brutus my giant, and Fergi my Mini... Brutus is been the best dog i've ever had and actually made me decide to purchase the mini from Sylvia. In fact I was looking at purchasing a white mini from her as well and was how I stumbled upon this unbelievable claim. Unless things have went down hill in the last 2-year I'd highly recommend Skansen if your in the market for a schnauser.

Jason

Mikol Mendes Nov 12, 2009

Hello,

When my daughter was ten she was the victim a severe dog attack. She required years of facial and optical reconstruction and therapy. Our surgeon, Dr. Marc Karlin in Chicago, suggested we get another dog for Lauren to help her through her therapy. He had Skansen's giants and highly recommended them as they are bred for solid temperament.

Due to my child's injuries we were unable to travel from Chicago to California. The pup was sent to us. I honestly believe this dog saved my daughter's life. We were so impressed and grateful to this dog, that two years later we flew to California to visit Sylvia and the Kennel. It isn't just a kennel; it's truly a preserve, a beautiful and very well maintained open air preserve. It was amazing, acres and acres of happy, healthy, clean animals.

We flew home with a 2nd puppy were happy for the next 14 years with our Giants.

I can't believe the individuals complaining have actually visited Skansens. I highly recommend this breeder. My husband and I are the founders of Hemisphere Animal Rescue in Chicago. We have up to 10 dogs as a time in our home. The Giants were grounding and healing forces for all the dogs that we have rescued. We never had a bad experience.

Respectfully,

Mikol Mendes Highland Park, IL

• Na
    Nan T Nov 17, 2009

Write the AKC, this woman should be shut down on her lack of record keeping alone. As a breeder/judge of purebred show dogs I am ashamed that this is allowed to go on.

• Ju
    Julaiana Dec 01, 2009

Lorrie - You are a very bitter woman! I can't wait to get my puppy from Sylvia. I have been to her kennel several times and all the dogs are happy, clean, and VERY FRIENDLY. Problems will definitely occur as spontaneous mutation can happen anytime independently of how well to have followed a dog's health. Think about it a little: even humans go blind and have to be medicated daily... who are you going to blame!?

I hope you find some peace in your life and they you respect others as much as you would like to be respected. You can have your opinion, but I agree with the vast majority that Sylvia's dog's are health, happy, and beautiful.

• Me
    Merlin S. Dec 19, 2009

We may soon be in the market for another dog and will most likely go with a Giant Schnauzer. I purchased one from Skansen in 1990. The kennel is huge, with many, many dogs. While they seemed happy, it was a bit overwhelming for me. However, I got to see quite a few puppies and came back weeks later to purchase one. She was pet vs. show quality, but to me she was a beauty. She lived for 12 years and grew up to be a wonderful dog with a great personality - a bit dog aggressive, but great with family and friends and most of all with children. Unfortunately, the Giant had two significant medical problems. First, was a pelvic bladder, which means that her bladder developed way up in her pelvic area which meant it never really got to be full sized - was more like a bladder for a miniature schnauzer in the body of a Giant. This condition was diagnosed as a congenital defect at UC Davis Vet School and caused her to leak when she was sleeping, particularly overnight. To counter this we put her on the active ingredient in over the counter contact. It helped the leaking quite a bit, but the effects of being on contact for several years at a time couldn't have been beneficial. The staff at UC Davis informed me that they had seen this condition in a number of Skansen Giant's. When I wrote to Sylvia about this (she apparently doesn't take calls from many non-show dog quality owners) she blamed this on me not following the diet she prescribed. As difficult as this condition was, my Giant also had and finally died of heart failure from a heart condition that was diagnosed when she was about 8. I know many satisfied Skansen customers. In fact I just met on at the Long Beach Eukanuba dog show who brought her black adult male and 6 month old salt and pepper female to the show. Both dogs were great looking and had great personalities. She had bought 8 giants from Skansen, with one having had serious health problems. All in all a very satisfied customer. I'm not going to pan Skansen - they have had too much success and too many very satisfied owners. However, our next Giant will be from a smaller breeder. Fortunately, we were able to meet two three of them at the dog show.

Mike

Mike

• Ms
    msscarlet Dec 20, 2009

Lorrie- I agree you are an Idiot!!! And do not know what you are talking about!! It is very apparent that YOU are the problem not the Skansen Kennel. Perhaps you should take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself, What is wrong with me!!!

Lorrie LHeureux Dec 22, 2009

"PEOPLE" THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME but the facts are the facts, please let me show you the files on both my dogs. I will be happy to fax you all the records! Then shut your stupid mouth OK! I have better things to do then worry about what you think. If I save one dog by telling reasonably intelligent people my very bad experience then it will make all make difference. Just not to you, because you are not reasonably intelligent! If you had a good experience with Skansens yip pee, tell everyone about it; but save your drama and personal attacks for someone who cares, this is about the dogs! I could give a good crap what you spewing about a person you don’t even know.

Please if you have something to add about Skensens, good or bad please address the matter of disussion, not who brought up the subject…………………. so we would love to hear your experience (no your opinions!)

Honestly ladies and gents, no one cares what you opinion of me is and that includes me.
    I still wonder why people with no complaint go to complain sites, talk about no life!!!
    Peace

Comments

Cocka2 Jan 02, 2020

@Lorrie LHeureux "I have better things to do then worry..." Don't you mean '...than worry..."? Geez

ssueb1 Dec 31, 2009

Championship Schnauzer Breeder Displays Her Dedication To Excellence And Love For Animals

SEBASTOPOL, CA, November 23, 2009 /Stanford Who's Who/-- Sylvia Hammarstrom has been accepted by Stanford Who's Who for her dedication in the Dog Breeding Industry and her love for the animals involved. As Owner and Operator of Skansen Kennel, she has bred some of the finest dogs in the world for the last half century.

Located on a 100 acre ranch in Sonoma County, Skansen Kennel has bred over 900 Giant Schnauzer Champions. Sylvia is the #1 breeder of Schnauzers in the world. Her dogs have won hundreds of Best In Show competitions in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, South America, Africa and Japan.

Originally from Sweden, Hammarstrom moved to Sebastopol, California in 1964 where she has been breeding top show, family, pet and companion Schnauzers ever since. Her dogs are handled with superlative care as they reside in pairs of two or three in large, open half acre fields. This allows them to play together as well as get their necessary exercise. It also affords them to receive plenty of sunshine and fresh air. Proper nutrition is also at the forefront in the care of all of her four-legged friends.

Hammarstrom is involved as a Judge of Professional Dog Shows and selling vitamins as well.

As if her life were not already interesting enough with all of her dog breeding success, she also served 26 years as a Flight Attendant for TWA where she was able to travel to various destinations around the world.

Sylvia is associated with the American Kennel Club. She has also appeared in articles from Dog Review and Dog World for her excellence in the field.

Lorrie LHeureux Jan 03, 2010

Sylvia must be feeling very insecure these days! Because all the comments are coming from people who have no business on a complaint site. Hummmmm what does that tell you? The facts speak for them selves. I will be happy to give you all the information on me two very sick dogs, that will need medical care and medicine for the rest of there lives. Anyone who wants to see this information can email me at [email protected] . I’m bored with these wind bags, look at my files before you buy from this puppy mill!!! Hopefully the ghost writers will go away now that I have invited you to personally look at my files. Thanks, I should have done this a long time ago then I wouldn’t have had to put up with all the personal attaches. Not that I care what anyone thinks, IT”S NOT ABOUT ME! 

As you can see the older female Darcy has very few teeth left, she had 18 pulled a few weeks after I brought her home. She was in so much pain and had been for a long time. She was 3 years old and that was just one of her issues!

Cocka2 Jan 02, 2020

@Lorrie LHeureux we all hate 'personal attaches.'

Lorrie LHeureux Jan 03, 2010

I hope they post the picture, if not email me I'll send it to you.

ssueb1 Jan 06, 2010

The complaint site is for people to learn the truth and provide their experience with the product or service. Just because 98% of the comments do not side with your distorted view is the only reason you keep saying we have no business out here. Anyone that has had an experience with this breeder should and are willing to share their experience...and as you can see it is VERY VERY different from your distorted story. The comments and the way you approach people even on this complaint site show me and others what kind of person you are and as I have stated before it is not voting well for you.

I have received 2 Giant Schnauzers from Skansen Kennel and they have both been a wonderful experience. Your approach to the breeder and the honest people on this site is really a testament to your lack of character and the less than valid complaint. No body can guarantee 100 health issue free and I am certain that Skansen’s Kennel would have been more than willing to work through your issue if your approach was different than the one you share here.

For those that are interested I have attached a picture of my second Giant Schnauzer from Skansens kennel and she is the highest of quality.

Lorrie LHeureux Jan 07, 2010

AS YOU HAVE STATED BEFORE? You have some nerve judging me honey! I'm posting the files for the WWW to see. I have no more time for these small minded "sheepeople "that can't except the facts. Email me for the web sites where the entire files on both dogs will be posted. Then you can how valid my complaint is and show how stuipd the last person truely is. Although we would love to see your pictures! LOL
    We have asked you to keep your comments on the animals but obviously it's to PERSONAL for you to stick to the subject at hand. Therefore I'm posting all the facts and will not reply to anymore idiots. You "honest" people can see what real honest truth looks like with documented files.
    Lack of caracter, what an ### you made of your self!!! I'll have a place on the web sites for votes for or against Skansens and I'll even post your stupid comment at the bottom of the page after they read THE FACTS! I hope you feel better now that you have exposed Sylvia's dirty little secret for everyone to read. Trust me it will be everywhere, I have new motovation thanks to your Last personal attach.
    Happy reading everyone. Email me for sites [email protected] or just go to Shansens web site you will find it close by!!!
    I won't acknowledge any more personal opinions because they have no basis or fact. These woman need to get there fustrations out, for what ever reason. Has nothing to do with me they are just feeling brave as they type!!! 8>Q

Cocka2 Jan 02, 2020

@Lorrie LHeureux "These woman need to get there frustrations out..." Did you mean 'women, ' and did you mean 'their'? There is a difference between 'there, ' they're, '
    and 'their, ' if you didn't know. Also, the plural of 'woman' is 'women.'
    You seem to be, like Trump, angry about something bigger than your two dogs, and are lashing out to blame someone other than yourself. Get a grip.

• Su
    Sue Hill Jan 07, 2010

Hey there Lorrie, You are definitely an "idiot!" I am 61 yrs old and have had 4 wonderful gentle Giants from Skasen's Kennels and I have love them all and they were all very healthy. I just got another Giant from her just before Christmas and I love him very much. Her dogs are so intelligent and "HEALTHY, " and if they are not healthy she will take the dog back. If you go to a small breeder, I know that you won't get to give a sick dog back to them. After working for years with Lab, Golden Retriever and Weimaner Rescue, I can tell you quite a few horror stories and the breeders who would not take their dogs back, leaving all these wonderful Rescue Groups to deal with people just like you Lorrie, just plain stupid and then turning their dogs over because they did not understand the breed before they got it.

Just like people, dogs get sick and are unfortunately born with problems, that is not Sylvia's fault and I know for a fact that she would never, ever, give away or sell a sick dog to anyone.

Face it Lorrie, you are just a plain "loser, " trying to slander and wonderful breeder who sells her dogs all over the world and everyone seems very happy with her. All I can say to you is to GET A LIFE, and leave Sylvia's alone. I bet you are the type of person who complains about everything.

I have been to her place many times and it is very clean and beautiful. Watch Animal Planet and you will see she definitely "DOES NOT" run a filthy puppy mill like you would like people to think.

ANY ONE READING THIS AND IS THINKING ABOUT GETTING A SCHNAUZER, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SKANSEN KENNELS IN CALIFORNIA.

• Su
    Sue Hill Jan 07, 2010

And Lorrie, I am disabled and my new GIANT SCHNAUZER IS GOING TO BE TRAINED TO BE MY SERVICE/ASSISTANCE DOG. My trainer said that at just 4 months old, he is extremely intelligent and she sees no reason for him not to be trained to take care of me.

With all the comments that I've read to your complaint, seems like you have no one supporting you. So, get over it and get on with you poor pathetic life.

• Rm
    Rmitola Jan 10, 2010

I must say. For animal lovers there way to much hatred around here. This past year we lost both our friends. Lucy, who was 7 years and a day old. She developed cancer and no-one knew until 3 days before she left us. Lucy had had to have a toe removed but lived a very wonderful life. Just much to short. Then there was Max. Max as 10 1/2 Max the lion heart He was just the best. Max was a person hidden inside a Giant Schnauzers or better than that. He nail problems and had to have 2 pills a day. Other than that he chased squirrels his buddies out of he yard almost every day. He loved walks in the woods, wind in his face and food! I miss him so much. Anyway, both came from Skansens. I lived in Colorado when we go Max and he was so great we got Lucy 3 year later. We have been looking to find a kennel closer to us now that we live in Connecticut. It's very alarming to hear all this talk about Skansens. Very happy for those of you who have had your friends for 16 years or so. If the person who is complaining is really telling the truth. Hateful, communication for any reason is just wrong. Anyway, is there someplace to look and try to find the truth? This is Max

ssueb1 Jan 14, 2010

Sue Hill,

I am so excited for you. I am a paragelgic and my first Giant (Maxine) although she was not trained to be a service dog inheritantly observed and somehow understood when I needed assistance. I can not count the times she helped me from a bad transfer where I was about to fall and she would lean into me to stop it.

Happy days!!

Shari

Mike B1972 Jan 14, 2010

I bought a giant three days ago. He is brilliant and sweet. I called Sylvia a couple of weeks ago and she spoke with me for thirty minutes about giants even after I informed her I was buying him from a local breeder. I find your claim impossible to believe Lori, simply because you are a stupid hateful [email protected]#$ch. Learn to spell dumbass. I have counted several misused words in your rants. I feel sorry for your husband unless he is as dumb as you.

• Sh
    SH Suss Jan 18, 2010

I've had two Giants from Skansen. The first I bought and the second a friend bought but after the divorce neither of them could keep here so I wound up with her. Both have been wonderful and generally healthy dogs. All dogs have some health problems along the way. I've also met other dogs out of Skansen, all beautiful and healthy.

No breeder is always going to breed 100% healthy dogs. It just doesn't happen. I'm sorry Lorrie has had problems with the dogs she got from Sylvia.

On the other hand, if there really are so many dogs on her farm, maybe she is taking the wrong approach. Instead of trying to get Skansen shut down she should just be trying to get the number of dogs on the farm reduced so that more attention could be paid to the smaller number of dogs and they get better treatment.

Lorrie LHeureux Jan 18, 2010

Before I thank the people on this site for getting national attention to my cause, I just want to tell you why.
    Pet ownership is a commitment just as is breeding pets for sale. If the breeder fails to commit to the quality and health of the animals then two things happen. First the animal suffers (my main concern) Two the new owner/purchaser of the dog has not only a life long commitment to love and care for the dog, they are burdened by the dogs ill health. For example, I purchased a 4 months old, at 7 months both her eyes had stopped making tears! This is not normal in any animal ever, and I did research this in depth. After two surgeries and monthly visits to the specialist, the conclusion was this. Three times a day Diva needs drops in her eyes, at night ointment. Not for a week or a month but for the rest of her life! I now have to hire people to come to my house if my job is to far away because for you narrow minded people with no education, saliva is a digestive enzyme with out the drops and ointment her eye balls will be eaten away! Can you see or feel the horror in that? I love my dogs as if they were my children so you ###s, who want to bash me, call me bitter, or whatever should shut your mouth and open your eyes. Until you have to watch the animal, you love so dearly have to go through this you have no opinion period! Choosing to have a tube from her saliva gland in to her eyes was the only one, other wise she would not only be blind but loose both her eyes. I won’t even go into the pain and suffering she has had to endure. These are documented facts for those who are really concerned about the animal and not the lame opinion posted by Sylvia and her friends!
    This is my last posting on this site. It would not have received this much attention if not for the postings mentioned above. I’m happy to say this is now on a national level and I couldn’t be happier. I have exposed my files and the facts speak for them selves. There- fore I no longer have to waste my time and energy trying to convince anyone.
    May all you pets be healthy, live long and be an important part of your family.
    Diva and Darcy

Lorrie LHeureux Jan 18, 2010

Hate is a powerful word Max be careful how you use it. I hate no one only the acts of they choose to commit. Angry, yes to watch my baby have to suffer. Better days are coming Max for all of us. Thanks for your posting.
    God bless you