Santandermissing money

S

Santander are incompetent idiots.
I sent them over £6000 in 2 cheques for over £6000 to pay off 2 personal loans after they took over alliance and leicester. I wrote the account numbers on the back of the cheques along with enclosing a letter detailing the amounts, account numbers and how much was owing for each loan.
6 weeks later I recieve a letter saying i've over paid and that they want to send me back the excess. I phoned them, only to be rudely told that there was no settlement figure given out and my loan accounts were still open!

I was then promised that I would receive an explanation in writing within 7 days. This never happened.

I am now going to treat this matter as fraud and follow it up via the banking ombudsman and if necessary the polic. The cheques were cashed, my money has disappeared and santander just don't care.

Don't trust these idiots with your money.

• Jj
    jjjdenton Jan 30, 2010

Your branch should have original cheques issued as they are returned there, Reverse of cheque will confirm which bank took payment, good luck

• Za
    zacc Jan 30, 2010

Santander is the worst bank i have ever banked with they nearly ruined my credit rating. They do not listen to the customers anymore like they used to. I paid my overdraft back 2 months earlier than the agreed date, instead of paying over 6mnths i paid it in 4 mnths. I thought that was the end and i could close my account with them, i was told i had to wait until they taken off the interest that was due. I had to wait nearly a month to get the account closed.

You think they would be happy that a customer has paid back their overdraft quickly, no not Santander they have made so many mistakes on my account in the end i wanted out and i have got out. The best thing ever, they will never admit their in the wrong the amount of times i got letters that i still owed this and that, you should take it further and keep record of who you spoke with time, date, dept etc. Keep copies of all correspondence you have sent them.

Best of luck

• Pe
    peter bartlett Mar 22, 2010

they are indeed a very bad bank.

• Pe
    peter bartlett Mar 22, 2010

i have dealings with santander. they are a very bad bank indeed.

• Ms
    Msteeded off Sep 15, 2010

Santander is a screwed up bank with screwed up people.with screwed up rules and regulations, they are a bunch of crooked people, that lie steal and cheat their customers, they need to and will be puy out of business keep these complaints rolling shut these SOBs down. quick and in a hurry.

• Da
    darla1 Oct 06, 2010

I just received a letter from santander, they bought out citifinancial auto, I got this letter 2 days ago, now they want me to pay a late charge because they say they sent me a letter last month. I phoned them to set up a payment arrangement and they want me to give them an extra 12 dollars, to process my payment, I ask her if that was for her Christmas bonus! I have 1 year to pay my truck off, I am so pissed!!!

• Ci
    cincin0718 Oct 06, 2010

I just received a letter from them too on Sept 16 which is 3 days after i had mailed my payment to Citi, so my question is who got the payment. Ive been waiting to get a new monthly account statement from these people so I can send my next payment but I have yet to receive anything from them. today is Oct 6, and I am not about to pay an extra fee to these people to pay electronically. That is crazy. Guess I'll have to break down and call. You would think if they wanted their payments they would send the damn statements like they said they would. Looks like we got stuck with another company that is gonna try to screw you over every chance they get!!

• Je
    jeffgee Nov 07, 2010

Our loan mysteriously was taken over by Santander last year. Our loan was scheduled to be paid off in December. They continued to take two more payments before stopping. Lastly, as we have paid it off they refuse to send us the pink or title slip for the vehicle!

• Se
    Sergei Witte Nov 07, 2010

Do you have a document showing how much you originally owed for the automobile? Do you have documentation of the payments you have made: credit card statements, bank transfers, cancelled checks, etc.? If you live in the US, you will probably obtain the title to the automobile here. Check with the Department of Transportation, Department of Motor Vehicles, or what ever the state agency that registers vehicles and gives you the title as to what documents you need to present in order to obtain the title. You will have to prove that there is no lien on the vehicle. That's why you will need the bill of sale or some other document showing the cost of the vehicle plus documents showing that you have completed payment on the vehicle. A sensible employee should be able, perhaps with the assistance and approval of a supervisor, to give you the title.

If you run into trouble and cannot obtain the title, contact your state representative or senator and concisely set out the problem. It is is wise to get the name of the person you talk to and follow up your conversation with a certified letter with a return receipt. Typically state representatives are better than state senators, but I don't know your situation. You should be contacted within 10 days to two weeks. If not, given them a reminder phone call. My experience has been that if you have adequate evidence, your rep will have enough clout to resolve the matter with the DOT. Don't forget to write your rep a thank you note when all is over and done with. It's not only courteous; it's a reminder that you are someone your rep will probably remember and be interested in helping you again.

• Ca
    caridad2001 Dec 20, 2010

I have experienced almost the same as all the rest of you.

Here is the name and HOME address of the CEO of Santander. See how he likes to be bothered. All info was taken from BBB (of which they have logged 2064 complaints) and the Dallascad.org website. Happy trails folks. The internet is a powerful tool.

Mr. Thomas Dundon, President / CEO
    5103 Southbrook Dr.
    Dallas Tx 75209

• Ki
    Kia Owner Jan 03, 2011

Charging for Stop Payment Check that Santander loss and try to process the check after they were notified that the check was void. @ 2 weeks later.

• La
    Laura E Mar 12, 2011

I am going to the Attorney General and the Better business Bureau. I have only ONE payment left and they have added an extra $500. I am disabled now and they are aware. For the past 49 monthes if I have been over 2 days past due they called me 2 to 3 times per day. A few monthes ago I wound up with an $800 car repair. I called this company to see if I could skip one month. They told me to pay half the payment and I would be OK. I told them I would make up the remaining haf over the next 3 monthes which they agreed to and I did as I said. Instead, they pocketed the entire payment and have been adding late charges every month along with calling me 2 to 3 times per day 30 days per month for MONTHES. I am sure they have ruined my credit alomg with this harrassment and thievery. You cannot talk to them over the phone. It is like talking to robots. I will NOT let them get away with this. We should all start a class action lawsuit; I have already paid them $8, 000 interest for a $14, 500 car. This cannot be legal. I may call the TV station to see if they can help. I want my credit repaired, every late charge removed and this EXTRA payment removed. They should also compensate for 5 YEARS of harrassment. I am a single parent and we do not have money for food or gas for my car now that I am disabled. Any more suggestions? If they lived in my state I am at the point of physical retribution, but I am a Christiam so I will do everything the legal way even if they are not. But they will all have to answer to God for their dishonesty and greed. Laura E. in Arkansas

• La
    Laura E Mar 12, 2011

Above complaint by Laura E. for " Santander "(formerly "Drive").

• Fa
    farside53 Mar 15, 2011

When Santander took over my auto loan from HSBC, I called to ask if I could get a lower rate as my credit had inproved. I also had a cosigner with excellant credit. They told me there were no options to refinance, even with a cosigner with a 740 credit score. I am paying a 10.6 percent loan, and am seeking to finance the balance of $9000 of my $25000 loan at a lower rate. I did not ask for Santander to take over my auto loan.

• En
    EnoughsEnough Apr 21, 2011

Is there anyone out there that has been successful in logging onto their site? Even when they email me a temorary password it doesn't work. So then we try forgot username...How the heck do we answer a security question when we can't see the question. This has been going on for 8 months now. Irritated.

• Ah
    ahawk01 Apr 22, 2011

My wife pays our bills. Santander calls her making threats, talking down, and generally harrassing her like she's a piece of trash I called customer service about one such call and was told the person would never call her again. Well, that lasted a month as he called today while she was at work and started again. She's got a 3 year payment history and cause she won't do an over he phone payment this person tries to get her to say she's never going to pay. She's had this loan for 3 years. This isnt the first six months. Santander took over our loan from Citi I believe. They changed the date by 13 days. She still pays before 30 days so it's never techinically late but she pays when she had it set up with the other financing company.

• Je
    Jeffrey Tymony May 15, 2011

I made a payment through check that as been confirmed by my bank, however the collection company says I have made the payment. The check clearly shows paid on my account.

• Do
    Doodle71 May 19, 2011

My mother had a car loan with Santander she had passed away April 18th we told them she had passed they still continue to call several times a day.My mother had given her body to the gift of life they said we won't get death Certificate for another two weeks but santander won't accept that.Everytime I answer the phone or see thier number come up on caller ID it brings back the thought of my mother passing

• Da
    Dallas253 Jun 07, 2011

Nuff said... from the BBB which they are not a part of...go figure.
    Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
    Problems with Product / Service 1261
    Total Complaints 3005

• Ca
    casilda d Nov 25, 2011

they tacke my truck for n0thing had just one year to finish paying for it had it for four yeas

• Bo
    Bonita Dec 01, 2011

I have just been into my local branch and now think that I want to leave this bank! I went into sort out my overdraft and felt that the employees in there couldn't care a less! I am really disappointed with the way that they treated me!

marie dowd Dec 09, 2011

i have been continually placed on hold run up a bill of 100 pound, due to THIER technical error i have been left with absolutely no finances at all, and they have the chheek to charge me for this privalage, i just keep being fobbed of,

Johnson04 Dec 14, 2011

I have a similar problem with Santander Consumer. My ex-wife who is a co-signer on my auto loan filed bankruptcy in August, 2011. Though I continue to make payments, Santander Consumer USA blocked my online access and discontinued sending bills to me. It has been five months and have not be able to access my account online, They continue to ### late fees to my auto loans without granting me access to my accounts and not recording my payments. I still owe $6, 500 on my loan and thinking about surrendering the vehicle voluntarily to Santander and join on the class action law suit. Who has better options for me?

Jack angry Dec 17, 2011

I sold a vehicle and was paid by cheque. I was very suspicious of the cheque so i asked the teller to let me know when it was cleared. i told her why i needed to know and that i had to pay out a large amount when it was cleared. We don't do that she said but when you see it as available at an ATM then that is it cleared. All sounds simple. Oh no its not, this is Santander we are discussing. The cheque wasn't cleared as she said it would be and i lost over 10, 000 pounds to a scam that the bank new about. My account went seriously into the red so they promptly froze my savings account leaving me with absolutely no money, my direct debits/ standing orders were not paid so the bank hit me with charges, the manager said to cancel all payments which i did. My credit rating went bad. Out of the kindness of their hearts they they made me clear the overdraft before they would reactivate my accounts. Because other money i had was tied up and not accessible i was was now short of money to finish an extension and for Christmas the manager suggested i apply for a loan to tide me over, I did apply and was turned down because i had a bad credit score. I complained to their head office Neil Broadbent said " Your problem not ours a cheque can take up to SIX MONTHS to clear. The manager also contradicted himself a number of times in letters to my solicitor regarding the question of whether they did or did not have a special clearance facility and of the length of service the teller had. The Financial Ombudsman's opinion was that there was no evidence that i had made it clear that it might be a scam. I admit i didn't go into the bank with bells and trumpets and placard saying this is a scam. I DIDNT KNOW for certain which is why i asked to be told when it cleared.
    Is what i have written so hard for financial institutions to understand and has anybody else had a similar let down by the FSO.

• Ar
    A Rand Mar 11, 2012

Every month Santander charges me $25 in late fees and they receive my payment on time via 2 day mail. I don't know what to do!

• Do
    doemeg Jul 11, 2012

At the end of my auto loan which originally was with Sovereign Bank, Santander reported to credit bureaus that I had missed a car payment when I had not. In effect, the deal was that they were trying to collect an extra car payment to feather their pockets. I had the receipt from my payment so screw Santander, the most corrupt bank I have ever seen.

• Ve
    vera lie Sep 25, 2012

i have an account but then when i want to transfer the fund they ask me a code cost of transfer, and if i want to get the code i have to paid 2% of the amount. should the code is a free for a costumer?

• Or
    orpha tedford Feb 19, 2014

I will have my car paid off on 11/5/14 loan complete with 72 payment I had to defer a few payment but not once did they tell me that this will be this much over charge on my loan . I have had other finance companies defer my payments before and have never had a finance company charge this much on interest before,

• Cu
    culdypete Jul 02, 2014

I tried to purchase something using my card and was told it was refused despite me having enough funds to cover it. I then found out the money was missing from my account, not once but 3 separate lots as if I had made 3 purchases. When I contacted Santander about it I was told they were aware that on the day in question an error had resulted in a lot of customers payments being wrongly refused and that they were aware 3 payments had been taken from my account balance and that they would work on "putting the money back into my account". I am still waiting. How long does it take for them to correct their own mistakes and put my money back if it was not paid to anyone but simply disappeared because of a so called error. Disgraceful service. Highly recommend people use a different bank.

• Cu
    culdypete Jul 02, 2014

I tried to purchase something using my card and was told it was refused
    despite me having enough funds to cover it. I then found out the money
    was missing from my account, not once but 3 separate lots as if I had
    made 3 purchases. When I contacted Santander about it I was told they
    were aware that on the day in question an error had resulted in a lot of
    customers payments being wrongly refused and that they were aware 3
    payments had been taken from my account balance and that they would work
    on "putting the money back into my account". I am still waiting. How
    long does it take for them to correct their own mistakes and put my
    money back if it was not paid to anyone but simply disappeared because
    of a so called error. Disgraceful service. Highly recommend people use a
    different bank.

• Ri
    rippedoff4444 Aug 20, 2014

I have borrowed for a car in 2008 for $26, 000 I have paid $40, 000 on the vehicle. The loan has reached maturation. The company has lost my original paperwork and is still saying I owe $11k. They are harrassing me and they are illegally trying to glean more money than what was owed them.