Sanjose Mercury Newsabusive, unethical and misleading sales practices

We have already paid the san jose mercury news paper subscription amount. We thought we are helping a low income family student with his studies. but end up getting a letter from coast to coast financial solution collection amount $32.22 .later u are getting threatening letters m COLLECTION AGENCY Coast to Coast trying to coerce you in paying a subscription you NEVER wanted and NEVER agreed to take.
Please help us in this

• Sj
    sjmercurynews-suffer Mar 02, 2010

I am also facing the exact same problem for the same amount of $32.22 from Coast to Coast Financial Solutions. This looks a big scam. I paid $20.00 to a student and I am getting this letter and calls from collection agency.

What can be done to stop this scam?

• De
    denbois Feb 05, 2010

BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU of San Jose:

The please "help put a poor student thru college subscription" scams from San Jose Mercury news continue to rise. I complained last year and dozens of people keep on getting hit by this same unethical business practice, (see San Jose Mercury News — annoying phone calls and repeat billings and see Sanjose Mercury News — abusive, unethical and misleading sales practices)

This is highly unethical and immoral to then coerce people to pay for somthing they did not want or knew they were getting in to not counting possibly having your credit score dinged.

Why does the BBB not escalate this problem to the consumer protection agency?? How many more people must be misled and have their credit potentionally dinged and get harrassing calls from the Coast to Coast collection agency as a result of this scam.

Last year the San Jose Mercury News has reached 74+ complaints and now approximately 6 months later they are up to 95 WITH AN F rating!

I would really like to know what the BBB will do about this issue; is this not a matter that can be escalated to the consumer protection agency and have them closed down. Must we as victims start small claim court proceedings against them?

Look fwd to your response.

Denis

(PS I OFFER TO DRAFT A COMMON LETTER OF COMPLAINT SURROUNDING THIS ISSUE AND HAVE PEOPLE SIGN IT BEFORE SENDING IT TO THE CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY. JUST PROVIDE ME YOUR FAX OR EMAIL AND THEN SIGN IT AND EITHER FAX IT OR PDF IT BACK TO ME AND I WILL SENT IT TO THE CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY. EMAIL ME AT " [email protected]" IF WANTING TO SIGN. LETS GET THIS UNETHICAL AND MISLEADING POOR STUDENT SCAM SHUT DOWN ASAP. ALSO CHECK UR CREDIT SCORES AT http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre34.shtm at no cost (this is the free govt website) and see if you have been dinged ... IF SO THEN WE MIGHT CONSIDER COMMON SUIT IN COURT)

samResist Feb 02, 2010

I paid my news paper bill. Why I am getting a letter from the Debt collector? If my credit is dinged, I am going to take you to court. THis is unethical and shame on you guys.

Comment Guidelines