World Gym Complaints & Reviews

World GymMembership mishandling

I cancelled my membership with the Word Gym in Waldorf, MD in December 2014. I did it in person, just like they asked, and also called to let them know. I was told that info would be passed along. I didn't hear back from them until the next Feb., when their billing department contacted me about past due accounts. I reiterated to them that I cancelled my account. I got an apology and an assurance it would be straightened out. Now, in April of 2016, I am contacted by a collections agency. World Gym had referred me and has continued to bill me for all months since then. When I called this time, they refused to remove the debt or cancel my account, saying I had to send a letter in the mail. They read off to me my notifications on my record and even told me about the call where I cancelled my account, but said that because I did not send in a letter they would refuse to cancel it. They also lied to me about using the gym, stating that they had now way of knowing who was and wasn't using it, and that they could not take my word for it that I had moved. However, I was given a PED to enter the gym, which very clearly logs who comes in and out of the gym; you literally cannot enter the gym without scanning in as yourself. They have continued to say they will not cancel my account and that I must continue to pay month after month even though I do not live in that state anymore.

World Gymdishonest billing , contract never had

IN 1999 I GOT A FREE 30 DAY TRAIL AT WORLD GYM THROUGH MY WORK. I WENT 2 TIMES AND ON THE 3RD . A SIGN BUSINESS CLOSED DOWN. I NEVER WORRIED. I NEVER SIGNED A CONTRACT. SOMEHOW . THEY HAVE GONE THROUGH THE COURTS WITHOUT EVER SUMMONS ME. THE ONLY SUMMONS I GOT WAS THIS OCT TO GO AND BRING ALL OF MY ASSETS. WHAT????? HOW DID THEY DO IT? I ASK THE BALIFF TO SHOW ME THE SUMMONS I SIGN . THERE WAS NONE . SHE SAID I DON'T KNOW. THIS IS BULL. I NEED HELP . THEY ONLY HAVE A PAPER I FILLED OUT FOR THE FREE TRAIL, THEY USED THAT TO GET THROUGH COURT WITHOUT ME. I HAVE CONTACTED EVERYONE I COULD NO ONE WILL HELP. 7, 000. I AM DISABLIED. NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO GET INTO MY BANK WHICH IS NO MONEY. HAHA. THIS IS A SCAM ALL OVER THE USA. COME ON. I CONTACT MY ATTORNEY GENERAL . NO WORTH NOTHING.

World GymContract Dispute

Back in January of this year (2011), I joined a gym called Maximum Output. After receiving an error in billing, I called M.O to see what was going on only to have the woman answer World Gym. I said excuse me? And she went on to say that M.O is now World Gym. I do not know what has happened since I've joined the gym but either World Gym has bought out M.O. or they went out of business and World Gym took over, I am not sure. I never received a letter, phone call or e-mail about this which is my first frustration. 2 weeks later after having that error cleared up, I called up there and spoke the manager to have my membership cancelled. I do not like World Gym or it's location and do not feel it is fair I should pay for a membership for a gym I never signed up with. I tried them two years ago as a free pass with a friend and wasn't a fan then and I am still not a fan now. The manager said he wasn't even sure as to what was going on but he could not do anything for me since I still have time left on my membership. I understand that but my time left was with M.O, not World Gym. I never plan on using their facilities especially since I didn't like them then and had no idea that my membership was transferred there to begin with. I find it highly unfair I cannot get out of a contract with a gym I never signed up to to begin with. Well that was all he could say/do and was extremely rude about it, even more reason for me to cancel that membership if thats the level of customer service I'm going to get. So I called the World Gym in Peachtree City and spoke with the manager there who said she couldn't do anything but gave me the owner's email address and said I would have better luck explaining my situation to him. I've emailed him twice and have no heard anything back. I do not want to pay for a membership at a gym I never signed up with to begin with! I'm not asking for money back or anything else, just that this membership be cancelled. It's absolutely ridiculous that this is how they conduct business and treat "new" clientele.

• Sp
    speedracer40 Apr 22, 2011

jezebel...I am also a Maximum Output member trying to get out of contract...they are not budging on this...World Gym is very inconvenient and I just want out!!! We need to band together and file a class action lawsuit against World Gym Fayetteville if we can get enough people!!! The sad part about this issue is this is a cut and dry situation. If the gym you joined goes out of business, then the contract is null and void period no questions...should have been an automatic cancel..Let's not let World Gym win this... Let's fight for the right!!!

• Mo
    molliewollie Apr 22, 2011

Go Speedracer and jezebel!!!

• Je
    Jezebel Apr 22, 2011

Speedracer, after emailing the owner of the World Gym's (no response by the way), filing complaints with the BBB, the FTC and other numerous complaint sites, I tried calling up there ONE last time today and asked if there was a cancellation fee offered and if so, I'd like to pay it and be done with this. The manager said there was one but it would be about $50 which to me is reasonable in the sense I'm not paying for the rest of my membership. So I went up there, paid in cash, got a copy that I paid and he said he would push it through immediately and my contract is officially cancelled. I recommend you trying that and see if he'll allow it for you as well or anybody else that's stuck in our position because I just KNEW I'm not the only person who was/is pissed about this whole mess which is maybe why he finally let me get out of this insane contract with them. Good luck!!! :) let me know how it goes!

• Vi
    VICTORIA45344 Nov 05, 2012

I NEED HELP I AM LOOKING FOR THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST WORLD'S GYM. ANYONE KNOW WHO IS DOING IT PLEASE SEND ME THE INFORMATION SO I CAN JOIN IT.
    VICTORIA DODD- HOWARD
    [email protected]

• Ha
    HannahJG Dec 04, 2012

I had a membership I canceled back in 2009 with World Gym because I moved. Since I have moved back to the area I tried to join again and found out my membership was never actually canceled and my charges have reached $3500!!! I never received a call or letter and had no clue that the cancelation was not done properly.
    I have my leasing agreement but not my cancelation paperwork. What can I do??? This is ridiculous!

• Ha
    HannahJG Dec 04, 2012

if anyone can help my email is [email protected]

World GymContinued Harrassment

I signed up for a 5 month membership with World Gym, had everything corrected on the contract at the time of signing that it indeed was ONLY a 5 month contract as I was planning on moving out of state and did not have any need for it being longer than that. Well, wouldn't you know it I have had nothing BUT issues with ASF International. I have been informed twice now that I did indeed fulfill my contract, because, the contract states Clearly that I Am Done, even with an e-mail from ASF "Team" stating that continued Auto-Charges would be stopped. Well, 7 days later I recieved an e-mail from ASF stating that my next pmnt. had been rejected by my bank? (I cancelled the Bank Card they had as I Didn't Trust Them--Hmm, Imagine That?) and continued on that they were now going to add on an Additional $29.00 to the balance. I am getting letters of demand now as well. I have been ignoring them altogether, frankly, I'm afraid of what I will say to them!!! It sure can't make it better, so I just ignore them. I never used the membership even once in the 5 months I paid, and never even picked up the Membership Card. This company needs to be stopped on their treatment of people, after all WE pay Their Wages!

World GymHarassment

Everyone who has been ripped off by World Gym and is being harassed READ THIS!! Don't even think on going to World Gym Chapel Hill, Akron. Oh. They are going to jump into you and tell you so many lie, that you may trust. These guys promise what they can't deliver. This gym uses the pushy approach to selling memberships. At the time, I was not ready to join, was convinced by the nice sales guy that if I did not want to keep membership, I could cancel within five days. I cancelled the membership within five days and was told that I would receive refund within the next 30 days. I have inquired about this refund on several occasions, have even met up with the manager and was ultimately told that since I cancelled the membership, I was no longer a client and thus he could not help me. It has been five months and I have not received a refund. I have heard from other people in that neighborhood that they often treat women clients like this, give them the brush off. Essentially they do not believe in good customer service relations and are only after getting your money.

World GymMembership

I spoke to a World Gym rep at a local health fair. I wanted a membership where I paid month by month, in cash. I had previously been scammed by another gym that assured me I could have month by month service, so I should have been more wary. The rep assured me that they would let me pay when I went in to work out, so I signed a one year contract. I travel a lot and was unable to make it in the first couple months. Then my debit card was re-newed and the security number and expiration date on it changed. all of a sudden I get a letter from their billing agency, telling me that I am past due on my membership fees. I called the gym and spoke to one of the workers there about all this, explaining that I signed up to pay month to month. He then told me that they did not allow month to month cash payments. I told him I no longer wanted to be amember of this gym and to remove me from membership. He assured me that he would take care of it. The following month I got another bill from them. He never removed me from membership. I'm sick of this kind of "business". It's a scam, it's unfair and should be illegal.
I'm calling my state Senator and the States Attorney about it as soon as I finish here. They need to know that their citizenry is being treated to these kinds of slick business tactics.

World GymScam and cheating

I enrolled World Gym over a year ago but when my contract was up I proceed to cancel my membership, I called them to ask them what to do but when I went to drop off the letter of cancellation, the guy at customer service, told me I was few weeks late and the contact already has renewed, which I did not understand because he asked me my name and last name the first time I spoke with him and he told me I could just drop off the letter without any problems.

I was really upset me, I showed him my contract and explained him that in my contract did not say anything about renewing my membership automatically. He called the manager and he said the same thing as his employee so I told them I was gonna close my bank account and their response was We'll ruin your credit if you don't continue to pay. This made so mad I left slamming doors.

but after few months of that fiasco my bank called me and let me know that World Gym was charging my credit card more money than they were supposed to I try to fight it back but it when nowhere and I checked my statement this month and they did it again. I just don't know what to do PLEASE HELP!!! Let put these people where they belong in jail.

• Ed
    Edward Lopez11 Jul 26, 2013

On may 25th 2013 at about 4:pm I stepped inside World Gym (number 6933-37-27718 located at 12155 Palm Drive in Desert Hot Springs, California 92240 tel. 760-329-8504)to ask and get information about the Gym fees and services. As soon as I walked in, an employee by the name of Woodroe Ohlemann approached me and offered to help. I asked about the Gym membership fees and services and I told him that my son and I are interested in becoming members of World Gym. He immediately offered to give me a tour of the gym which I gladly accepted. He then asked me to have a seat so that he can explain membership fees. I explained that the membership would be for me and my son. He said that because my son was only 14 years of age I had to do two separate contracts, one for me and one for my son and I agreed. My contract was $50.00 initiation fee plus $1 for card and $20 a month, a total of $71.00 for my contract. My sons membership was $50 initiation plus $1 for card and $10 a month a total of $61.00. In total I paid $132.00 for two separate contracts. Woodroe explained that this was an open contract and that I could terminate my membership at any time without early termination fees. He also explained that if I was not satisfied with the Gym services for any reason, I had 30 days to cancel my membership and I would get a full refund on both contracts. Because of the gyms unsafe practices and machines I decided to cancel my membership. On June 27 2013 I went back to the gym and talk an employee by the name of Kevin who introduced himself as the Gym manager. I advised him that I wanted to cancel my memberships and get a refund on my membership fees. He immediately asked me for a piece of paper that I had never seen or heard of. I explained that Woodroe never asked me to sign that agreement nor did he ever mentioned it. Kevin said "Oh well that's why he doesn't work here anymore, he was very shady like that". I asked Kevin "What else can I do? and he answered " well your just out of luck, without the paper I cant do anything“. My son and I just stood there thinking he was just kidding but he wasn't. Kevin said without that paper he couldn't do anything and because he is the manager there is no one else I could talk to. He said That the owners name is Jim but he couldn't give me his number. He said that Jim visits the Gym Occasionally, as if he was suggesting I continue visiting the Gym until I find Jim, a person I don't know what he looks like. Kevin said that the only thing he could do is cancel my membership without a thirty day notice. At this point I asked Kevin to cancel it and I left the Gym without a refund. I looked on line to see if I could find a 1-800 number or a website to file a complaint or just to see if I could get my money back, But Kevin was right there is no one else to talk to or even file a legitimate complaint. I think its unfair for any business to held costumers responsible for their employees mistakes. As I Explained to Kevin, if Woodroe would have asked me to signed and acknowledge an agreement, the Gym would have a copy of it and I would have abide by it. The fact is that they don't have that copy because I was never presented to me in the first place and the fact that he no longer works for the company is not my fault I think the manager should have check his paperwork and advised me that there was a document missing in my agreement. This is definitely the managers fault and not mine, as he made it seemed. 30 days later I still get harassed by Worlds gym billing company and world gym employees about late fees and unpaid bills. Kevin the “manager” couldn’t even get that right. A monkey could do a better job at managing places like these. I sent this letter to the Better Business Bureau. The BBB gave them until July 23 to respond to this complaint but they never did. Do yourself a favor, save yourselves a headache and stay away from World gym. Many gyms offer better services and safer workout areas. Thank you for your time.

World Gymcontract

received a voice mail this week stating I had won 2-2year memberships. when i returned the call i was told to stop in and pick up my passes. I went in and they tricked me into signing a contact and they charged me $298.
I called their corperate number to get a refund they told me I had 72 hours to retract on contract. I would need to go to the location I signed at to do so. When i went back and talked to the manager he would not give me a refund. I will be following up with their corporate on Monday and with my Credit Card Company.

• Ti
    TiredOfScams Dec 29, 2008

Check out that World Gym on the Better Business Bureau website. Lots of interesting information can be found there. Compare it to other World Gyms in Michigan. Seems apparent that the problems lie with the employees of that particular location. At the very least file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and seek some legal advice.

World GymThey tried to charge for classes that were free

Desert hot springs, ca world gym has boxing to members as a free class. Recently in 7-08, via owner, tried to now charge $5.00 a head. Members complained, so now they will cut the class days down. Greed. The same owner I’m told also owns the LA QUINTA, CA. world’s gym, with record members. They just got greedy in this small town that is isolated from drawing gym members from other areas. Their staff is great, members don’t like this kind of ethics. When you sign up contract, and get a free class, don’t charge or change peoples contract. People brought their contracts to show if necessary-no where is this $5.00 there!!!

• Fo
    forced to work out Oct 18, 2010

Worlds Gym in Desert Hot Springs, Ca.
    I enrolled my husband and I for a 1 year Gym membership. They specifically said, that if by any means, in 30 days, it didn't work out for us, I could bring back the signed certificate and they would give us our money back no questions asked. So what happens when I show up 28 days later? I found out i was signed up for a 2 year contract not a 1 year contract. They said no one there had the authority to handle the situation but the managers which were supposed to call me the very next day and take of the situation immediately. No one called so i had to call them, one of them practically cursed me out, saying that i signed for a 2 year contract because my signature was all over it and i had to pay or go to collections. The other manager was a little nicer but still you could tell she didn't want to be bothered with the drama. I reported them to the Better Business Beaurea and hope that others will do the research before signing up. They are all frauds. We all need to get together and sue their [censor].

ANGRYWORLDGYMCUSTOMER Jun 20, 2011

They are such crooks! HOLY COW! I can't believe i fell for this. I signed up for 1 year- as in 12 months! But somewhere in the fine print, it stated there was automatic renewal. This automatic renewal was explained as the option of continuing after the 12 months, not mandatory! So I called during the 10th month making sure there weren't and hidden hoops I had to jump through and they said no! I ended up having to pay for 13 months and cancelled my bank account. When I talked to the manager, JIM RYAN, he insulted me (a customer) and played the age card. Screw World Gym. Needless to say, I'll be using this last month to my full advantage and get my money's worth. I am going to annoy them until the end.

Also, they advertise that at any time, you can cancel your contract if you have a medical condition or you are moving to a location without a World Gym- load of bologna. They wanted me to pay almost $200 to cancel it, even with a utility bill! Screwwwww them!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices