Westwood College Complaints & Reviews

Westwood Collegescam/fraud/unethical behavior

I attended westwood college between 2005 and 2008. I was 17 years old when they first approached me on my high school campus and eventually a sales rep came directly to my home and highly pressured me and my mother to sign paperwork right then and there and at their campus in upland, ca.

The admission and financial aid staff told us that they were fully accredited and that I would be making a lot of money once I graduated from their bachelor's degree program. ($80, 000-$120, 000/year) once I graduated, the career counselors they had at their upland campus helped me find a minimum wage job on craigslist that was completely unrelated to my degree. ($19, 000/year) the staff knew that I was a first generation college student in my family and that I had feelings of apprehension about signing up for their courses and they took advantage of that, I see now were really high pressure sales tactics.

Not 6 months into the bachelor's degree program a student assaulted me and would do horrible things to and threaten me if I did not comply to his demands on a weekly basis, for almost the entire duration that I was attending westwood college. When I tried to tell the counselor's (Really they were sales reps) and teacher's about this student and how I was not happy with how the program was progressing. I was instead pressured to continue to finish the degree requirements in silence, so that they could cover up what was happening to me and so that they did not have to report an assault to any federal or state departments. My safety and well-being was of no concern to anyone at westwood college. They only wanted my money.

Never once did any staff at westwood college encourage me to go to the police and file a report about the student that had assaulted me. Never once did they try to separate or discipline the student that had assaulted me. They would still schedule him classes with me and tell me to ignore him if he was "bothering me." their primary focus was making sure that I was attending their classes and giving them my financial aid money. From this student's deplorable behavior and treatment, I suffered from symptoms of depression and disassociation and westwood college further took advantage of that to manipulate me into committing to their bogus degree programs.

Besides that horrible experience, most of the instructor's were unqualified to teach and often would not teach at all or show up to classes, and yet hand out a-grades to all students, despite poor work being turned in. They also lied to me and my mother about how I was to pay for these classes. It was described to us both that I was signing up for "federal financial aid," they instead took out federal and private loans with high interest rates with sallie mae. My mother was lead to believe that we would not have to pay for anything. The financial aid staff initially told me that I did not qualify for the pell or cal grants, but it turned out that I did and they took the money without even telling me. I did not find out about that until I approached a local community college about what I could do, after I had graduated and found out that the bachelor's degree that I had worked so hard for was non-accredited and non-transferable.

When I tried to go to westwood college to ask what I could do about lying to me about their accreditation and what I could possibly do with a completely worthless degree. I was pressured by the president of the campus at the time named dave or david to sign up for another degree program. I refused and years later another admissions rep told me that they had former westwood students that were attending local cal state and uc schools and pursuing master's degrees and that I did not have to go back to a jc to redo my gen ed requirements. I approached these public universities that she named and theyinformed me that they had no westwood students in their master's programs and that they would not accept my credits.

Attending westwood coollege in upland, ca was a horrible mistake. They were an unethical and fraudulent company that would say and do anything in order to steal money from students and leave us with debt and worthless degrees!

Westwood Collegescam

I have been going to there 2012 - today 4 - 3 - 2015 when I found I was being scammed I woke up to find I could not log it to classes, called them to find out why I was treated badly on the phone and was told I needed to make a 150$ payment, but the loan agreement that I signed says payment will not start until 5 - 1 - 2015, So right there we have them breaking a legal binding contract.
Law suit is needed I contacted the Ombudsman group and filed complaints the ones who accredit them.

Please contact me.

mgrimesb Sep 08, 2009

I have heard such bad things about Westwood College and I work with a television station and would like to know more about the problems of Westwood College. Please call 720-839-1488 I need to get the skinny on this terrible college

mgrimesb Sep 10, 2009

...alleged terrible college

Hello,

I have so many stories to tell you about Westwood. I am a victim of Identify theft because they mailed out end of the year statements with other peoples social security numbers. I am an internet professional and am extremely careful with who I give out this information to. And it was only 2 weeks after those forms that were mailed out, is when I found out that my tax man informed me that someone had filed under my social already. So I am having to work with the Federal Trade Commission and the Iris to fix the problem, but my tax is delayed and they said it will be delayed every year for up to 5 years because of this problem.

I would really like to speak to you because I truely feel that this college is not credited moneies accurately. They refused to provided me with a detailed item by item of charges and payments made on my account, why would that be.

I am so stressed because I am only 4 classes away from graduated and now they are saying I have a least 8 more to go because they have changed their structure.

I would be honored to speak with you and provide you with all the paperwork that supports my claim.

Pam

• Ni
    nichol wolf Nov 03, 2011

I went to westwood for 7 months and never got any of my maoney back to mne for my schooling and I was told each quarter i had money left over so what can I do to get this taken care of ??? I have seen that there are no more wqestwood college commericals good for that because i can not even get my credit forward to a new college to further my education so what the deal with that !

RoyB Feb 27, 2012

Strongly agree. Visit westwoodisawful . com to see the real truth. Someone needs to take a stand and shut them down.

RoyB Feb 27, 2012

Totaly agree. But the commercials run during the day. Sorry. Please visit westwoodisawful . com and see why this fake wannabe college needs to be shut down.

tomj14 Nov 29, 2012

I'm guess that has to do with your lack of English skills and not Westwood College.

Dea Garcia Apr 14, 2016

Hello, I'm also a victim of Westwood College. I attended the school for over two years. Long story short, they were sued for $4.5 million dollars back in 2012, out of that I received a little over $5, 000 but not enough to cover the $35, 000 that owe in student loans. Can you please file a complaint with Colorado Attorney's Office. Here's the link below and I also included a link because Westwood closed permanently so there's a chance that students wont have to pay there student loan debt accumulated at Westwood.

Westwood Collegefraud scam and deceiving lies

I also went to Westwood college in Ft.worth Tx campus from 2007 to 2009. And was also told that I could transfer my credits to the community college and others but that is a joke. They would not accept any of my credits what so ever. I apperently graduated from Westwood in May of 2009 but have never received a diploma from them. I finish with a 4.8 GPA for Associate of science. Architectural design. They said would help get jobs also but never did. The teaching was horrendous and half the time did nothing in classes except sit there and doodle. Then take a open book test for our grades. Then when they would hirer instructors who would actually teach they would fire them for making class to difficult. Any way 6 years after graduation I have nothing to show but a lot of debt that I'll never pay off. They did nothing but lie lie lie about all they were about. The campus closed down a couple years after I finished up. We need to start a class action law suit against this school again like the hundred of other student did against this scam of a school. I learned 10x as much in middle school then I did from this place and that was free education. The administrators and recruiters are nothing but salesman. They don't care about your education. They just want there commission for recruiting people. Yes you can transfer to other colleges and yes we'll help find you a position in your field of study. Non of which are true. I was sent on one interview they suggested with a starting hourly wage of $10. What a joke. They promised us so much more saying better your life and family's life by coming here and getting a degree. All they did was put my life and family's like in further debt and left me nothing to show for it but bills on top of bills for loans. I would like to see all these people have to pay just like I'm having to for me wanting to better my life and get a degree which is nothing but tissue paper that I can't even use for that because I never even received it. Thanks Westwood College for ruining my life.

RandyHash Jan 15, 2015

Sorry I made a type O 3.8GPA

saicam Jan 28, 2015

I went there around the same times as you for Network Engineering. That place was a joke, I knew I was in trouble after attending my first class, the instructor at the time stated to us the only reason he was there was so he could get his DR. But the naive me decided to stick with it.
    The next set of course weren't too bad, we actually had some one that new what they where talking about. But after that 2nd set of course it started to go down hill horribly. As you said once we got a good instructor they fired him before the next term and we ended up with a guy that had no business teaching Computer Networking. The guy never had any education in the field, when asked a question he had no idea what we where even talking about. And for some reason they ended up making him the head of that department.
    On top of that, there where terms where we had classes with no instructors and had to self study, why the hell did I have to pay out the ### to teach myself? We did not get a descent instructor until our last term and by then it was to late.
    Now on the loan side, yes thats all they are are salesmen. At one point I was struggling to make payments but I made them, then half way through I get called to financial and get told I do not have to make any more payments to the school because of a new loan, I was like wow great. But at the end of the year I get told I do not get my diploma because I did not make payments. I told the office what the girl told me on the new loan, and was told well she doesn't work here any more and that it did not take effect. What a load of Bull S***.
    At the time of graduation I had pretty descent job, not in the field, but I been there for 4 years. However I wanted to get into the field that I studied for. I went to student services and they lined up an interview. I went and found out the job was only for 9 an hour but it was in the field and I would get some work experience, so I excepted. Turned in my 2 weeks at my current job and went to work at the new one that was supposedly a guaranteed contract job for 6 months to a year. After 2 weeks we where all let go. So there I was jobless. I looked for work for the next 6 months and could not find anything, even entry level positions wanted you to have experience, so instead of going homeless and starving I took a job bar tending with the idea of looking for work as I went.
    It took almost 5 years later to even find something in the field and that was call center help desk work. However with those 5 years the loans grew and grew, and one point they wanted me to pay almost 700 a month, which was near impossible with out working, luckily for deferments.
    Needless to say the only reason I am working in the field now is due to me self teaching through the 5 years I was not working in IT. And I was able to land an entry level position because of that. Looking back I realized a few things, 1. Westwood is a joke, I never should have wasted my time, the community college TCC offered the same courses for cheaper and 2. Even the course material I took at westwood did not relate to anything that would get me into that entry level position for IT. 3. I am an major dept now because of this.

saicam Jan 28, 2015

Also I have been trying to find something on a lawsuit for them for our area but haven't found anything yet. If you are anyone that reads these know of anything, please let me know.

• Ka
    kalebholden Apr 03, 2015

I agree, we need a lawsuit against them my email is [email protected]

Please contact me.

Resolved Westwood Collegefraudulent use of title IV finacial aid

I received a post withdrawal letter of disbursement which I completed and returned to the school requesting that all eligible title iv funds be disbursed to me. Since westwood college refused to do that I submitted an email to the westwood college online financial aid office requesting that the loans be cancelled. That never took place either.

fraudulent use of title IV finacial aid
fraudulent use of title IV finacial aid

Westwood Collegebogus accrediation

I talked to Jackie Poland of Westood College in Woodridge il, i specifically asked after doing my homework if their program for Medical Assisting was accredited she said "yes by ACICS" after looking up the exact accreditation needed as below:
i waited until she called back and told her what i have learned only to be told she does not have to "defend her school" and that she "hates when people are misinformed by other colleges and i can take the exam under their accreditation, i told her no only CAHHEP AND ABHES accredited programs are allowed to take the CMA exams. she said "we could send each other articles all day long" i said not really, this says it all and left it at that. She also informed me i can talk to all the big wigs there and they will also tell me... of course they will!. Good thing i am smarter than she and the sad part a younger person would trust that they are being told the truth, as they should!!! how sad they taking advantage of people like this. I do not have time or money to be taken advantage of and i had emails with her claim but maybe not enough to prove to a lawyer, not sure. but i'm disgusted beyond belief by these hideous people.and would have gone to the ends of the earth suing them if i was gullible enough to believe her.

• St
    steve chr May 23, 2016

Westwood college is a joke. I went to from 2006-2008. got a useless degree. they promised me jobs, told me it was accreddited college and also told me i would make 75k a year. they are bogus and gave me a piece of paper that should be made out of gold so i can have my money back. I like when i first was looking in the school and then they would call me every 30 mins if felt like. even on weekends. I was a victim and hope i can get my money back. I paid over 30k in past 10 years still owe 45k on student loan debt. I am glad to see the school closed. I have noticed all the complaints now about the school as i have never look due to being busy raising 3 kids. I cannot believe the scams they have pulled to lure people in to this bs school. At least now the school has closed and no one will ever be able to fall into their traps again. I am so very depressed about this situation i am in cause i will never be able to pay back the debt.

Westwood Collegefraud, deception, useless degree and non-transferrable credits

I attended Westwood College from 2007 until recently, taking two breaks in enrollment due to surviving an attempted murder and the aftermath and emotional toll it took. When I first began the enrollment process in 2007, I was told that if I decided on-line schooling was not for me that I could transfer my credits to another school in my area since Westwood does not have any campuses near me. Westwood has shown some unbelievable audacity in their business practices. The last time I was called and persuaded to re-enroll, I was upset to find out that the Interior Design program I had been taking was being discontinued and that I would have to take a course overload in order to even come close to graduating. It proved to be too much, attempting to complete 18 credit hours shoved into a 9 week term while working full time (and some overtime) at about 55-60 hours per week. I had no option but to drop from the Interior Design program and call it a wash. I was still interested in obtaining my degree, however, so I asked my student advisor if there were any options that I could put my current credits toward that may at least help further my current career in property management. I have spent 5 years of my life on my education due to the interruption nearly losing my life caused, and still have nothing to show for it. I was contacted once again just three weeks ago by an assistant admissions director and asked if I would be interested in re-enrolling in a different program. Since I am looking to further my current career and brought that option up to my student advisor when I dropped from the ID program, I mentioned that I would be interested in the Bachelor of Sciences program for Business Administration majoring in Business Management. After completing my FAFSA and jumping through all the little hoops the assistant admissions director had me go through, I was then informed that Westwood would not take me back because I wasn't a good risk. When I asked to speak to the legal department I was hung up on. This place needs to be shut down. Beyond my own personal issues with this college, there have been endless reviews by people who have actually graduated who attest that their degree is useless and many employers will not hire people with a degree from Westwood. It's shameful and disgusting.

RandyHash Jan 14, 2015

RandyHash Jan 15, 2015

It was a type o. 3.8 and yes summa cum laude. And why are you being a ### or is that just your personality. When you ask and they tell you it is accredited school and I could transfer my credits. Then that should be all you need. But since they do nothing but scam and lie. The they shod be held responsible.

RandyHash Jan 22, 2015

Why are you even replying to something that has nothing at all to do with you. Must be a lonely person with nothing to do in life.

Westwood Collegenot accreddited

I went to college there for 9 months in 2005, I had to quit after 9 months and then they charged me 10, 000, through Sallie Mae,
Well I went back to college with a college in Tuscaloosa and they told me that Westwood is not accredited, they told me when I signed up for Westwood that they were indeed accredited but I didn't get any degree from them and got charged 10, 000 in loan . My credits cannot be transferred to any school apparently.
I would like my loans cancelled due to this seems to be a rip off where I can't even get a transcript and I never could get a grant but with Shelton State I am getting grant money to pay for my school not Loans.
thank you for your time in this matter,
Candace Johnson

• Fo
    foggynights Jan 01, 2013

They are accredited through ACSIS which is not a regional accreditation. National accreditiation is different than regional. If you want to transfer credits to a regionall y accredited school, you need regional accreditation. They won't cancel your sallie Mae over this as this is a consumer issue. In other words, you are stuck unless you can find an attorney that will sue the school. This is possible and has happened in the past. Westwood was already sued by the state and you should be able to get someone involved. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/westwood-college-pays-4-5m-to-settle-lawsuit

Resolved Westwood Collegefraud rip off

I went to this school in 2005 for a while then i drop because i got sick, I found out that I own 26, 000 thousands of dollars and sallie mae say is my fault and I sign all the papers to cancel all loans and the school still crew me over. Yes $26, 000 of private and federal loans.

Resolved Westwood Collegegoverment fraud of loans

Westwood college is scamming the goverment. The cancelled loans are still being cashed in by westwood along with pell grant funding even while the student is not attending. If the student has/had the apex loan owned by westwood college, which comes after you sign up,.. This is collected through the goverment subsudidzied loan system, plus westwood college collects a pell grant on top of the empty numbers which in return is totally free money. These are the biggeist thieves I have ever encountered. Smiling while they take the money!!
The insider

Westwood Collegeinstitution of higher learning my ***

I am at my wit's end with this degree mill. They lied to me in every way, shape and form. Ben my admission counselor (Salesman) stated credits would be transferable, now they post on the website they are not transferable. Degree can be used to obtain a better position or higher paying job. Now they state is only gives you the tools to succeed..lies, lies, lies. Even the Dean, School of Technology of WOL who I met lies to me about future accreditation. Where does it end?

Westwood has voluntarily dropped from Regional Candidacy. As I work a second job (nights and weekends) trying to pay for this now $80, 000 education that is worthless, trying to stay afloat of this financial h**l that this college create, my anger grows. So what did I learn that cost me $80, 000 and nothing but grief, financial insecurity and embarrassment? That For-Profit schools like Westwood are out to make money off the backs of those who want to succeed and have dreams by lying and making false promises. They are in it only for the money and will not supply you with an education that will allow you to enter the job market. You will be placed so far into debt that no matter what job you apply for, you will not be able to realistically pay it off timely and if you do get a degree from them, it is better used as toilet paper.

I was duped and feel like I’ve been made a fool by attending this joke of a college. Yes, I am trying to pay off this bogus debt. I have been in the IT business for over 20 years, hold certifications in Cisco, Microsoft and database administration, all obtained prior to Westwood. Here's how great they are, of those that graduated from Westwood with me, here is a list of their current positions as of today: Manager KFC, Walmart Clerk, Homeless and Unemployed, Clerk 7-11, Student (went to a real college to start over)

Now the have a placement guarantee that is really not a guarantee. See the other posts to see how it works. It's your money that they are giving back to you if they cannot help you find a job. You are still paying for it and once the six months are up, you are still saddled with outrageous school loans. No one who graduated with me was able to work in their field of study and failed to keep their promise of job assistance. Westwood college (joke) needs to be shut down. Westwood ruined my credit, finances and future dreams. I am amazed at the amount of fraud, deceit and lies from this degree mill. Online research has provided me with some interesting information.

On 04/20/2011 the BBB accreditation wassuspended due to recent government action concerning the marketplaceand its customers that demonstrates a significant failure of thecompany to support the principles and purposes of BBB accreditation. The matter will be reviewed by the BBB's Board of Directors at its next meeting.

On December 14, 2010 the Colorado Commission of Higher Education (CCHE) changed Westwood College's status from Full Authorization to Probationary Authorization due to it's probation order from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges. The Department of Veterans Affairs has pulled GI Bill funding from all three Texas campuses of a for-profit college accused of misleading advertising and enrollment practices.

At the December 2, 2010 regular CCHE meeting, Commissioners voted to defer action for Westwood College until staff had received notification from the Accrediting Commission for Career Colleges and Schools. Department staff received a "Continued Probation Order" from the ACCSC on December 9, 2010. The ACCSC reviewed the September 1, 2010 Probation Order and the school's response to that action at its November 2010 meeting. It was determined that the school has not demonstrated compliance with the ACCSC's requirements relative to student achievement outcomes.

Additionally, Westwood College was requested to provide information with regard to compliance to several and various state agencies and other accreditors given the allegations of the Government Accountability Office August 4, 2010 report.

On April 6, 2009 the United States of America (on behalf of the United States Board of Education) filed an Amended Complaint in the United State District Court of the Northern District of Texas. Charges filed indicate the business was in violation of state law prohibiting a failure to comply with Statutory and Regulatory Requirements for Proprietary School Operations. Particularly, some charges related to unethical and/or misleading recruitment practices, failure to report unsatisfactory job placement rates for graduates, and/or failure to properly register school representatives. The matter was resolved by a settlement in March 2009.

In 2009, Westwood's parent company, Alta Colleges Inc., of Denver, agreed to pay the U.S. government $7 million to settle a lawsuit accusing the Texas campuses of submitting falsified federal student aid forms.

Wow...and they have the nerve to tell me they are transparent?

• Co
    coryz Aug 07, 2014

Hey folks. I am currently doing article research for a Twin Cities'-based newspaper about for-profit colleges and some of the issues their students have had. I am looking for a few students who live in the Twin Cities Metro area and who would be hip in allowing me to interview them for the story. Any interest/have questions/etc. email at [email protected]

Resolved Westwood Collegefraud

I attended Westwood College from [protected] and received what I thought was a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. This Degree cost me $67, 000 in Sallie Mae loans and Apex loans. Originally I did not question the cost since Westwood was a private school. But after applying to several schools for my Master's Degree and being told that unfortunately they could not accept my degree due to problems with Westwood accreditation. I was pissed. I get pissed every time I see the commercial for the westwood success story because I now know it is all a lie.

As it was explained to me when I first enrolled at westwood, was that the campus I was enrolled at, was applying for its regional accreditation and by the time I graduate it should be accredited. The process takes about five years and I would still be able to go to other schools to further my degree with no problem. They did inform me that I would not be able to use my degree to work with Chicago Police but suburban departments would take my degree. This is false. Every job I have applied for in the Criminal Justice field all said the same that my education must be from a four year fully accredited university. Every university I have applied to said the same thing, that I could try to transfer my credits to see which ones are transferable or I could return to school for another Bachelors degree. I was disappointed after that. First off I am left holding this large loan that I must pay regardless for a fake degree that I can not use. Then in order for me to go back to school I would have to apply for most likely more loans that I can not afford.

I spoke to a representative at westwood in regards to what I had been told and this person told me that none of this is true that other schools are going off of old information, not the current status of the school. But, yet I am still being told as recent as three weeks ago, that Westwood is not accredited and my degree with them is useless. At most the degree I received will be looked at as just a diploma if I took all my general classes or a certificate program. Which means I would still have to go back to school for a degree. Which means another three to four years for a bachelors and another 40 to 60 thousand dollars.

The Department of Education needs to step in and do something about these schools that continues to rip off people like myself who has to work full time, but, wants further their education in a career field. My best advice is avoid Westwood college and schools like them.

• Ri
    Rioghan Mar 30, 2010

After the military, then a failed college experience at the University of Arkansas, due to financial woes, I decided to give college another try in 2005. I looked over several colleges and Westwood convinced me they were the right one for me.
    I signed on, made sure I dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's and kept all the paper work. The first semester felt as if I walked into kindergarten again. Students were not there to learn, they were there to play, and the instructors did not seem to want to control them. They made me take a life skills class, after I served in the Army, was in my early thirties, and would not let me out of this class. They would not allow me to test out of classes that I already had at the University of Arkansas. In my second term, I was teaching a photoshop class, since the instructor did not seem to know her rear from a hole in the ground. An InDesign instructor smelled as if she smoked pot every time she stepped out of the class room.
    Don't get me wrong, we did have a few instructors that seemed to really care. The Flash and Video Editing instructor was really well prepared, and ready to teach, and seemed to care if the students learned, yet when he tried to teach, and then refused to repeat himself to one student who was obviously not paying attention, and just playing a game, the next term, this teacher lost his job. The 3D instructor also cared if you learned. He took you step by step through the program and worked with you until you got the program. As far as I know, he is still there.
    Then came my graduation year, YAY! (sarcastic undertone) the last semester they come up to me with "by the way, your a class short..when I had a major brain surgery planned for the day after I graduated. I had to drop out, then sign back in after I healed from the surgery, took the last class, and they promised to help me find a job..This was back in 2008...it is now 2010...they have yet helped me find a job in my career field...I have been freelancing since I graduated.
    They also send me wierd bills, that I know I don't owe...then when I complain, they say it is their mistake, or they forget to send bills, then send the stuff to collection agencies. When I ask the collection agencies what they are talking about, they refuse to tell me. Come to find out, the collection agency is an inhouse company that works with Westwood. I went to get my transcripts the other day from Westwood, so I can get a job with a State agency, and they refused to release them to me until I pay them in full, which is going to cost me according to them, over 10 grand, but according to my paperwork, I owe them 3 grand...and until that discrepency is taken care of I am having trouble getting my loans consolidated.
    So if you plan on going to Westwood, RUN the other way...

• Al
    Alex Berg Dec 29, 2010

My name is Gor Akopian, I am from California and i graduated REDSTONE/CRIMSON/ WESTWOOD college back in 2008.
    It was a BIG SCAM!!!
    I have a worthless degree in "construction management" I have to pay back more than $38 000 to SallieMae bank .
    No job, no money to pay. They promised me to get a job for me which will let me make between 80-120K per year. NO WAY!!!
    The college was SOLD and renaimed to CRIMSON as soon as i graduated. There is no more previous people there to go and complain.
    The college was located in Inglewood California, on Aviation Blvd
    The biggest thing is, they KILLED my CREDIT HISTORY.

Please, everybody... let's SUE these people and get our money, time back.
    My phone number: (818)285-9308
    [email protected]

• Ho
    Howard McManus Dec 17, 2011

show them your panties for a discount

tomj14 Nov 29, 2012

Maybe it's just you. There are tons of Westwood grads who work in the field of CJ for city and suburban employment agencies. Don't blame your lack of success on the school you go to. It's unprofessional and that might be why you can't get work.

Resolved Westwood Collegedegree is worthless

Institution of higher learning my A$$.

Westwood ruined my credit, finances and future dreams.

Wow...and they have the nerve to tell me they are transparent?

• Im
    IMD1 Oct 14, 2011

Whether credits are transferable to another institution is up to the student to verify, as different institutions have different criteria.

Resolved Westwood Collegecomplete scam

I attended Westwood college for about 3 years and graduated from the Inland Empire (Upland), Ca campus in December 2009 with a Bachelors of Science in Criminal Justice. My experience at Westwood was disastrous to say the least.

In the beginning, I went to get more information from the representatives- (I took my mom with me for help) my representatives name was Tiffany, after a quick discussion, I was sent in another room to take some kind of exam to determine what basic classes (like Math, English, etc) I may still need. After the results were determined, Tiffany spent an hour telling me I placed exceptionally well, my credits from the local community college would mean I took less classes and spent less time pursuing my goal, and telling us of the "benefits" of Westwood, and the "Fully Accredited" degree I would receive. She stated Westwood was Nationally Accredited and recognized as a valuable degree program by hundreds of companies and other schools nationwide, they helped students with job placement once they had graduated (with an 80% success rate), and the classes were taught by experienced instructors within the field. My concerns were primarily the cost (quoted at approximately $15, 000 a year- in totaling $45, 000- 47, 000) as I come from a poorer family and expressed that I couldn't afford the cost of education- the response was a positive "don't worry, there are scholarships and grants, and of course we accept FAFSA and loans. So after they took the $100 registration fee, I was enrolled in what I though was the best choice I could have made.

Now comes the reality of what Westwood was for me-

To start- In the beginning I filled out tons of paperwork for financial aide... only (surprise surprise) to be told I didn't qualify for grants or scholarships, and I had unfortunately missed the FAFSA deadline. I was told my financial aide rep (Alicia) had taken the liberty to check into a few loans through SallieMae and that said loans would completely cover the costs and Salliemae was more than willing to allow for lowered payments, deferments, etc after I had graduated until they (Westwood) were able to help me find employment in my field of study.

My first term there, I was enrolled in four classes- three of which I had received transfer credit for since they had already been taken at RCC. I was told to get a hold of Mark Lewis for corrections but to continue coming to class so I wasn't dropped for the term for attendance. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to contact he finally returned my call (one week before the end of the term) only to inform me that since I technically sat through the whole course, I had in fact agreed to take them, and therefore the only thing he could do was label them as "elective" courses. No tuition refund would be issued nor would the funds be applied to classes the next term I actually needed to take.

As frustrated as I was I dealt with it. Then after only two terms, tuition costs went up- and continued to increase (tuition went up about four times in the three years I was there) until one day Alicia, about two terms from my graduation, notified me that for some reason my financial aide did not come through completely, and I had an outstanding balance of two thousand dollars. I needed to pay before the start of the next term or I was out of the program. I ended up having to borrow the money from a family friend- after contacting SallieMae, I was told that my paper work was not submitted timely and therefore the tuition increase was not calculated into the loan amount. I became furious and confronted Alicia- who labeled me as a combative student, took no blame for the incident- stating I had given consent for the financial aide department to make such decisions on my behalf with something called an "e-signature". I received a call from Mark later informing me that all financial aide issues for me would need to go through the office at the main campus after my behavior towards Alicia.

I went to the main office in Upland, and requested a break down of my financial aide- I wanted to know where the money was going in detail, how much each term had cost (tuition and books included)- essentially everything. I got no response and ended up having to call the dean of students and threaten a lawsuit- I received a week later a hand typed crude assessment of funds. Only stating the exact information on the salliemae website and a $2000 listing as an APEX loan- when I questioned this APEX- I was informed it was none of my concern and that maybe id get better treatment if I stopped going over people's heads.

To top that off, once the bookstore became null in void- in place of the newer on line ordering system- I stopped ordering books for my courses and simply started borrowing them from friends. In the last five terms I was there- I maybe ordered three books- the rest I borrowed. Fast forward to this year March 2011- I received a collections notice from some company stating I owed Westwood College $90- when I called no one was able to tell me why... the next day I got a call from Roseo (?) telling me it was for a book I ordered the last term I was there (IN 2009) FOR A CLASS I WAS NOT ENROLLED IN!!! Basically the solution was pay it, they hadn't done anything wrong and sometime they run late conducting the student account audits- they didn't care if it was two years later, that I had never taken the class, or that I had never received a book. I left a scathing report on MySafeCampus.com... checked a few days later was was informed that the school had recognized who I was based on the information provided and has since paid the $90 charge... Now why would they do that if they had done no wrong?

Oh and lets speak of job placement assistance... I receive random emails from Don about jobs in other states, jobs I don't qualify for, or jobs that are temporary or commission based only. No resume services were ever offered, just simply make a resume, email it to Don and he'll send you suggestions (time permitting), oh and mock interviews only if you took the class otherwise you are SOL... the friends I graduated with are as follows: 2 say at home moms, 1 records clerk, 1 counselor (thanks to Monster.com), 1 club promoter, 1 bouncer, and 1 club hopper.

My family tells me there has to be some kind of legal repercussions for Westwood's actions- since I/ we all do feel like I was lied to from the beginning- unfortunately due to my financial restraints and inabilities- I have moved numerous times since graduation and no longer have my paperwork from Westwood or even Sallie Mae. It has become the victim of constant moving (from family member to family member because I can't pay all the loans, cost of living and rent by myself even working 40 hours a week... even if I could do something about it, I couldn't prove it : (

RoyB Feb 27, 2012

We need to shut this college down. Visit westwoodisawful . com and see the horror they are putting students through.

Resolved Westwood Collegethey ripped me off

Megan Hansen Statement for Senator Durbin Forum 4-28-11

Hello, my name is Megan Hansen. First, I would like to thank Senator Durbin for holding this forum and inviting me to share the story of my experience at Westwood College. Unfortunately, it’s not at all what I had hoped it would be. I graduated in March of this year with a degree in Criminal Justice, after attending Westwood’s O’Hare campus and taking online classes. I’m now $65, 000 in debt and have wasted three years getting what’s turning out to be a worthless degree.

My dream was to work as a parole officer and then go on to law school, but that doesn’t look very realistic at this point. After graduating, I quickly found out that most agencies won’t call me back when I apply for jobs, and most traditional colleges don’t recognize Westwood’s degree or credits. My pursuit of higher education and the promise of a rewarding career have come to a screeching halt.

When I first saw Westwood’s TV commercial about its Criminal Justice program more than three years ago, it really caught my eye, because it said I could be done in 3 years, instead of four. So, I called the school and went in for a tour. The Admissions Rep made it sound like Westwood’s Criminal Justice program was one of the best. I would get all this hands on training and be taught by teachers who actually worked in the field. She made it sound like I was practically guaranteed a job when I graduated, and that the school would help me find a job.

It all sounded amazing, but when she told me about how much it would cost, I started having second thoughts. She said it would be $14, 000 a year, which sounded like a lot, but I later discovered it was even more than that. I just recently got an account summary of what my last year cost, and it was $26, 000 for just that one year. The two previous years were also more, coming to an additional 8-thousand dollars above what they told me it would be. Seeing how much this ended up costing is part of the great stress I deal with every day.

When I left Westwood that first day, I was still on the fence about whether to enroll, but then, they kept hounding me, calling me over and over, and telling me how great the school was, until I finally decided to go ahead and enroll; a decision I regret to this day.

Now, I’m finding out *all that Career Placement help they promised has turned out to be just a bunch of emails about job openings that I’m not qualified for, could have gotten without a degree, or are too far away for me to even consider. Worst of all, when I do send my resumes out, I never hear back from anyone. I send emails trying to find out if they’ll consider me, and no one ever responds.

I’ve also tried to apply to several “regionally” accredited schools in the Chicago area, but none of them will accept Westwood’s credits. It’s so frustrating, because the Admissions Rep never said anything about how Westwood didn’t have “regional” accreditation or that my credits wouldn’t transfer to most other schools. When I found out that the school’s lack of accreditation might be a problem, it was more than a year after I enrolled. I confronted the Program Director about it, but she kept reassuring me time and time again, not to worry. She said Westwood was a candidate for “regional” accreditation and would become accredited. Westwood never did get the regional accreditation, and I just recently learned the school has even withdrawn its application.

I went to school to better my life, but I’m still working as a receptionist in a doctor’s office, as I have for the past six years. So for now, I don’t really know what to do. I can’t afford to pay back my $65, 000 in loans, which are deferred for now. In September, I’m getting married, which is right about the time I’m supposed to start paying on those loans.

This should be the happiest time in my life, but instead I’m full of anxiety about what the future holds. I can’t get a job in my field, I can’t continue my education at a traditional school, and I can’t pay back my loans.

Getting a college degree was supposed to give me a brighter future, but all it’s done is put me in a worse position than if I never went to college at all. I hope other people looking to further their education will listen to my story and be very careful before they sign up at one of these schools. I don’t want them to end up like me. I wasted all this money, and, now I’m totally sick to my stomach and don’t know what to do.

• Ea
    ear85 Jul 02, 2011

I have had a more than similar issue with Westwood, as a matter of fact your story is my story (just at the inland empire campus)... I earned a degree in 2009 and it has been the worst decision I have ever made, I now have a worthless degree, $69, 000 of Sallie-mae debt I can't pay, and a job that doesn't recognize the degree as anything more than a piece of paper. I still receive "job placement assistance" emails for worthless employment, and am at my wits end about how to deal with this.

RoyB Feb 27, 2012

Megan, keep up the fight. People are starting to wake up but the pressure is waining. Visit westwoodisawful . com and help spread the word. If Congress won't shut them down, we can!!

Westwood Collegescam and rip-off

So I tried taking my transcript to 3 local community colleges and was told the credits are non transferable. Went to 2 local “for-profit” schools with ACICS accreditation as well and was also denied. Tried using this fake degree to apply for several positions with SCE, IBM, Oracle, Wells Fargo, and a hand full of respectable and known IT companies. Received nice thank you letters but was told that I did not meet the minimum educational requirements by two potential employers because this ‘college’ did not meet their criteria as an educational institution. Yet, I did meet the experience portion of several but because of my lack of an actual degree, was denied an interview.

So now, several years down the road I see that Westwood has voluntarily dropped from Regional Candidacy. As I work a second job (nights and weekends) trying to pay for this $50, 000 education that is worthless, trying to stay afloat of this financial *** that this college create, my anger grows. So what did I learn that cost me $50, 000 and nothing but grief, financial insecurity and embarrassment? That For-Profit schools like Westwood are out to make money off the backs of those who want to succeed and have dreams by lying and making false promises. They are in it only for the money and will not supply you with an education that will allow you to enter the job market. You will be placed so far into debt that no matter what job you apply for, you will not be able to realistically pay it off timely and if you do get a degree from them, it is better used as toilet paper.

I was duped and feel like I’ve been made a fool by attending this joke of a college. Yes, I am trying to pay off this bogus debt. I have been in the IT business for over 20 years, hold certifications in Cisco, Microsoft and database administration, all obtained prior to Westwood. Some people have hobbies, collecting coins, boating, needle-point. Starting today, my hobby will be to go online at least once a week, visit as many websites as I can and spread the word on what this school did to me, financially and emotionally, and of those that graduated from Westwood with me, here is a list of their current positions as of today: Manager KFC, Walmart Clerk, Homeless and Unemployed, Clerk 7-11, Student (went to a real college to start over)

Resolved Westwood Collegefraud, worthless degrees

I was gullible enough to apply to this fake college. After searching around, hoping to get into a bachelor’s program where I could move into management, I was contacted by a Westwood representative by the name of Ben who told me nothing but lies and mislead me during the application process. Yes, at the time, they were seeking Regional Accreditation. They had their ACICS accreditation but I was told by the recruiter that they were way past the point of candidacy and it would be only a short time before they were Regionally accredited. False promises, lies about their accreditation and several years later, I graduated. Took my degree to my current employer and after HR review, they explained to me since they do not have Regional accreditation, I was out of luck and could not be considered for management. My employer would not even allow me to apply for educationally assistance or reimbursement because this “college” was not a valid institution.

So now, several years down the road I see that Westwood has voluntarily dropped from Regional Candidacy. As I work a second job (nights and weekends) trying to pay for this $50, 000 education that is worthless, trying to stay afloat of this financial hell that this college create, my anger grows. So what did I learn that cost me $50, 000 and nothing but grief, financial insecurity and embarrassment? That For-Profit schools like Westwood are out to make money off the backs of those who want to succeed and have dreams by lying and making false promises. They are in it only for the money and will not supply you with an education that will allow you to enter the job market. You will be placed so far into debt that no matter what job you apply for, you will not be able to realistically pay it off timely and if you do get a degree from them, it is better used as toilet paper.

• Co
    Consumer-Advocate Apr 05, 2011

This person knows what they're talking about. It's really sad and happening way too often. Why are some lawmakers in Congress defending rip off schools like this? Oh yeah, lobbyists paying them off! This country needs to stop spending taxpayer money (in the form of grants and federally backed loans) to fund these schools. Stop the gravy train and they'll stop ripping off students.

RoyB Feb 27, 2012

After 3 years of trying to get something out of this college, I'm fighting back. Please visit www.westwoodisawful . com to see the truth about this scam school

Resolved Westwood Collegehorrible excuse for a learning institution

I unfortunately fell victim to Westwood in the summer of August 2003. I too a starry eyed teenager of 18 with all the hopes and dreams that one has at that age was deceived and lied to in my own home in front of my parents with a Westwood College recruiter.

I went to Westwood with the high hopes of becoming a successful computer programmer. I enrolled in the newly developed gaming degree that was only offered in the Denver North Campus and so I moved out to Colorado.

After being enrolled in the program for a few months and seeing how disgustingly unprofessional the instructors were as well as the financial aid department I decided to drop down from the BS degree I was aspiring towards in gaming to an Associate’s degree in Software Engineering.

The simple task of dropping down to the associates took about an hour until it finally came down to me threatening to drop out all together if not allowed to drop down to the associates degree. The reason for my decision to drop down to an associate’s degree was when I noticed that I felt as if I were a guinea pig for the gaming degree because I was there in its first running the very first time they were introducing it.

The reason for those feeling was caused by the lack of structure and knowledge on behalf of the instructors. I once had an instructor admit to me that he did not know the material himself and that we were learning together as a team. I undoubtedly replied, " I'm not paying $60, 000 for us to learn together you’re the teacher and I'm the student." Hence my decision to demote myself to an Associate’s degree that was $30, 000 VS $60 grand and I guess I figured I was cutting my losses.

Throughout my education at Westwood if that is even what it can be called I experienced teachers with half ### teaching methods and a mentality that as long as one person or enough people follow along then the rest can catch up. No one took the extra time to make sure everyone was on board before proceeding.

The classes were not structured at all I found myself at time taking advanced programming classes for which I had not even completed the assigned prerequisite math class yet. I also saw students that came after me getting a better overall teaching experience in the very same classes that I had just taken a few months before. Which all came back around to the whole guinea pig theory?

I was fortunate enough to have my father help me pay off the debt from a house he had recently sold as his profession often included flipping houses, but I can only image how much worse it could have been if it had not been for his assistance.

I graduated from Westwood with a degree that seemed as if they printed it on regular printing paper with fancy font but I guess it makes no difference than if they would have printed it out on Charmin for me.

Ironically I still pursued a career in the Computer Industry but I pursued it doing what I had taught myself before I attended the school which was Desktop support/Hardware support for PC’s.

The few things I did learn about programming I taught myself and I walked away from that school with a degree, but not with the confidence or knowledge to take those so called skills and apply it to a professional setting in the business in which I went to school for.

I look back on my years at Westwood and see wasted time and a great life lesson that came unexpectedly to a young man with hopes and dreams. Life preys on the ignorance of adolescence and unfortunately we all have to learn that lesson the hard way. My teacher for that lesson was Westwood and I can honestly say it was the only thing they taught me!

Education is invaluable and for an Institution to profit on the hopes and dreams of others with little remorse of the damage they do by providing false hope, financial burden, and a less than subpar service is not something that should be allowed or let alone tolerated.

Please to all those reading this story make your voices heard and fight back and join in seeking justice for those that have been harmed by Westwood's greed.

I fall out of the scope of those that can seek financial retribution due to my year of graduation but I fight and make my voice heard for those that can still have justice served for them and have Westwood pay for the injustice and harm they have caused.

More information can be found at: http://westwoodscammed.me/

designcreations4u Mar 24, 2010

Were you mailed end of the year tax forms with other peoples social security numbers?

2 weeks after getting that form, I went to file my taxes and my tax professional informed me that there were someone already that had filed taxes in my name.

So now I am having to work with the Federal Trade commsion the Irs, social security and you name it because of this.

I am in interet professional and I am extremly careful who I give my information to, and it is pretty convient that it happened 2 weeks after they sent the tax documents out with the wrong socials on them.

Please feel free to contact me if you woud like to talk about this situation or yours too at ([email protected]).

Pam

Resolved Westwood Collegeloan fraud

I am a resident of Chicago, and I attended Westwood College between the fall of [protected] at the Loop Campus here in Chicago. I experienced been told I had no other choice then private or "preferred" loans and they turned away grants I had received and was awarded in high-school; to make a long story short I couldn't transfer their credits including gen-eds, and have an out-standing debt in loans, which they procured funds without my knowledge or consent. Also, I have contacted a host of ex-students here in Chicago who have gone through this scenario. Please contact me with any extended information on suites and proceedings.

• Go
    goretep Mar 01, 2011

I found out from Saint leo university that my 69 credits from westwood for a cost of over $20, 000 are worthless. two years basically worthless.

Resolved Westwood Collegewestwood's deceptive practices

As a former educator and someone who spent time at Westwood, I would suggest staying as far away from this school as possible. Admissions reps will tell you a mountain of lies and endlessly harass you until you enroll. They lack proper accreditation, and none of your credits will transfer to ANY decent school. Anyone that tells you differently is lying. Faculty and staff care little for the quality of education or for their students welfare. In fact, the system is purposely designed to confuse anyone who asks questions (especially when it comes to financial matters) and there is open hostility to any student who dares buck the system. Do not go to this school. The only thing you’ll get from Westwood is an astronomical bill, poor quality classes, and a worthless degree.

designcreations4u Mar 24, 2010

Is there a chance of sueing them? They won't even provide me with a detailed billing, which should all charges and all payments and grants given. I don't understand why this would be.

• Yo
    Youngtiff80 Feb 02, 2011

I am having the same problem right now with Westwood online. I received an outrageous tuition statement a few days ago and I've only been going there since March 19, 2010. I've requested a detailed statement of all of my charges and loans, as well as grants. Nobody is answering my messages, emails or anything. My student advisors & financial advisors keep getting changed which I am never notified of until I try to reach them. Is there anything we can do about this? If so please let me know how and what because attending this school has got to the worst choice I have ever made in my life. My email is [email protected]

Resolved Westwood Collegerun away

Unbelievable.. And so full of regret!! I have been a student at westwood college for almost two years now for a bachelors degree in criminal justice. I am stuck here!! This field is my passion and has been since I was young. As a new mother at only 20 yrs old I looked into many schools and made an appointment with.. Ugh.. Westwood college.

(Word to the wise: any school that has to have an admissions rep sales team in order to entice people to actually want to go there should be considered scary.)

I felt like this trashy lady who was the admissions rep was practically a "car salesman!!" I should have suspected something right there but she made everything sound so wonderful (Right!!) and I swear to god this woman told me that the college was regionally accredited and that "most if not all" other colleges would take me after I obtained a bachelors at westwood because my goal was to get a masters and she knew that. I had to meet with her one more time and she specified over and over to bring exactly $100 dollars for certain procedures. (I gave her the money and all that happened afterwards was the signing of a few papers and my school id photo.) afterwards, I got word they received comission. (I swear she must have pocketed that money.)

When school began it was not what I expected at all. I hoped for a professional and "higher learning institution".. Lol.. It was like a pre-school classroom in every room!! Literally. The classes were ridiculous and even two yrs later with one year left to go it still shocks me!! The most low-level type of people went here. Almost scummy and tasteless in a way. Just desperate to get a job I guess they were even easier targets.

As terms went on I felt trapped... And so full of regret for ever coming here!! I already owed so much money that I felt I couldn't leave because I had no where else to go with those "non-transferrable credits!!" so I just kept telling myself not to quit or give up. It will get better like they promised (I complained numerous times.)

Well... It never did:
-certain students are favored and the instructors will pass anyone. Even if they deserve to fail miserably!! I have always worked my # off studying and still retain close to a 3.90 after 2 yrs but if youre a lazy loser you might be getting that too just because the instructors are told to "spoonfeed" you in order to keep up grades in the institution.
-most of the teachers are terrible and have completely wasted my time!!!
-I feel like everytime i'm here i'm being sold something. Their all a bunch of salesman!!
-they all lie!!! The financial aide office especially.. I've already learned that lesson!!! They are the worst of all!!
-oohh and they will not find you a job or even help you with a resigme.. Dont believe they will when they tell you!!
-I could go on forever.

Just know i'm stuck here now.. With low-lifes who know they will never amount to anything but still come to just to feel a sense of accomplishment when a monkey could pass this school. (Just get on good terms with your teachers.. They'll pass you.. I work so hard and earn honest a's.. Others do not!!)

This school is fraud and I wish I could take back ever coming here. They lie to get you in till youre literally stuck. The teachers, faculty, and even students are trash!!

Run away!!

DallayCowboy52 Jan 30, 2010

Hey that was pretty awful stuff your expressing, but I have to disagree with the fact that all the teachers and students are trash and ###. I understand that you are accomplishing honest A's, but it does not give you the right to insult everyone else. I am a student at Westwood College and from my point of view your comments are very insulting. You are 20 years old and a mother... great congrats. Now you have gone from single, free of responsibilities ...etc, to a woman full of expectations. My point is instead of taking the word of others for granted you should of done more research. An example in my case, I knew that the only downside of Westwood College is the fact that they are not regional accredited, but they have other benefits such as their retrain program. The ability to return back to a class to refresh on some knowledge is priceless. Tell is there any campus out there that allows their alumni to return for free? The professors aren't the best in the world, but they are experienced and teach at other well know universities, such as UCI, CSFU, UC Riverside, and the list goes on. At times It might seem like if Westwood College enrolls any student just for a buck, but that reality is that Westwood College is doing something no other college is doing, giving the person a 2nd chance to success. Sure you can say that there are community college where student can pay less for the same education. The only thing is that those trashy and scummy teachers and students also exist in those campuses. In other words you are mother who is expected to go far and beyond, and to do that you have to act like it. Don't be so gullible, and worry only about child and yourself. Sit in class and think about the people who depend on you. Don't waste your time judging others.

May God Bless You!

MGI Apr 21, 2010

DallayCowboy52 We know westwood is paying you to say that stuff. What courses are you taking? Why can't westwood credits transfer to another college? Why do employers laugh at westwood degrees? answer these questions please. god bless

• Ta
    TAINEA May 24, 2010

H3Y CAN SOMBEBODY TELL ME THE TRUTH BECAUSE I AM SCARED THIS IS WEIRD I WANT TO GO TO WESTWOOD BUT NOT IF IM NOT GONE GET A JOB AND WASTE MY TIME OMG HELP CAUSE THIS IS WERID HAVE ANYBODY GRADUATED FROM THERE AND GOT A JOB I DONT UNDERSTAND I AM FRESH OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL CAN SUMBODY BE REAL WITH ME.

• Np
    NP in Chicago Jun 21, 2010

This is exactly how I feel. I went to 2 years at the O'Hare campus, and It was a total joke. Now i'm stuck with a loan to pay and no degree.
    There has got to be something we can do. This place is disgusting.!!!

• Np
    NP in Chicago Jun 21, 2010

Hey TAINEA, dn't go. Really, RUN AWAY!!!

• St
    straightcashhomey Oct 07, 2010

The Westwood College in Upland is the same. Most of the students are low class who don't show up half the time but still pass with better grades than the ones who do. I had a couple good teachers there, but the other ones were complete [censor]s who sat at the computer for four hours watching YouTube videos and expecting the students to teach themselves. You'll will be tricked into thinking this is a real college when you receive your kit in the mail but when you show up you will soon realize that this place is a joke. They say they are there to help you but in actuality none of them know what the hell they are doing. Seriously this school is no good. I have recently transferred to another art school in California and every time I mention that I transferred from Westwood they laugh and say that they can't believe I attended such a garbage school. I feel bad for the people that realized this two years in because I realized it a month in. DON'T GO HERE.
    DALLASCOWBOYS52 is probably one of those sucker student ambassadors who suck up to student services and promise to make the school sound good. Student Ambassadors are nothing but Westwoods little pawns who will do anything for a passing grade. They are just as bad as admissions reps and financial aid reps.

• Sp
    spencertracy Nov 26, 2012

For those who are complaining. You all have been had, and they got your money and credit reports in their hands.

Resolved Westwood Collegeclasses and finical aide

i attended westwood college in houston texas and was told that they worked with people that have a learning disability and the instructors would be able to work with me. i asked my instructor for extra credit several times and was told that she did not have time to get me any. as a result i fell below the gpa level of where i needed to be and was put on probation and told that if i did not get my gpa up i wold be failed and have to repeat the term. i made it clear to them that i had a learning disability from day one. i had to be out 2 weeks sick and was informed that if i did not attend class by a certin date i would be dropped. i contacted the school and told them i had a doctors note and tryed to work it out. they would not do so. also the instructor i had diid not cover the required lessons like the class was informed the meterial would be covered.

Resolved Westwood Collegeterrible everything

Westwood College sounded great to me when I was 18 in high school. I signed up and started the August after I graduated High School. I was an excellent student, and several times received Executive Director's List.

I had to take a break in my studies at Westwood, and I wish I never would have went back. When I went back, I was asked to sign a paper that said I would not sue Westwood for the quality of education received. I do want to sue Westwood for something else.

I recently tried to apply to Ohio State University to further my education. What I found was Westwood is demanding 9, 037 to release my transcript, and because I can't find a job, my federal student loans are in default, and I can't get federal student aid.

Westwood promised to help me find a job, but all they do is send me links to jobs that I'm not qualified for! I wish I could give all the money back to federal aid so I could actually go back to school. My life is completely ruined, dreams killed because of my being young and taken advantage of by Westwood.

• We
    Westwood Student Services Apr 13, 2009

We recently came across your post and want to hear more about your experience. Please contact Westwood College’s Student Resolution Hotline at 888.331.3036 so we can begin to work through your specific concerns.

• Mr
    mrsquigles Apr 13, 2009

$9, 037 for a transcript release? Those things usually cost like 10 bucks. Sounds like there may have been a mix with a tuition payment or something like that. Though if they've placed a hold on releasing your transcript I'm surprised the hold didn't prevent you from graduating. Call the number, sounds like they're willing to help.

MasterChief May 13, 2009

So...how'd it turn out?

• Sh
    Shadow3xa Dec 05, 2009

I want to sue them as well I resigned mid term and they charged me a whole year

• Dj
    DJ Bell-Fair Jun 23, 2013

Resolved Westwood Collegeacademic programs

I have been attending Westwood college since Aug of '07 and when I signed up for the Visual Communications program. I asked if the classes I took there were able to transfer to other schools. I was told that it is up to the other schools discretion whether or not the classes were transferrable. That should have sent up a red flag.
Then in Jan of '09 I was told that the cirriculm has changed and that they apply to me! 5 classes that i have already taken would no longer apply toward the degree, I was half way done, and now I am not!
This doesn't sit right with me at all I feel like I am getting ripped off, I recieved a copy of my ledger (since the school handles all of your finances) and at 4, 000 a term that is not too far from 10, 000 after term tuition and lab fees and books.
Books is another issue which i am sure that other students have complaints about.
If there is anything that can be done, a class action suit or something of that sort please contact me.

Tom Mar 24, 2009

Hey have you joined the facebook group "warnings about westwood"? They're bringing a lawsuit against the school.

Jonie May 12, 2009

i am so glad that i decided to research this school before i completed the enrollment process. I requested info. online and got a call not even 5 min. after i submitted. the lady was really nice and i went in to speak with her. she sold me a dream...the next day i even paid the 50 dollar application fee. so 3 days later i do a little reseach an whaddaya know the same thing said by everyone, phony advisors, the trick you into getting loans. Matter of fact i jst emailed the lady and told her i was no longer interested...she said' you should still finish the enrollment process. you dont wanna be put in a bad situation, you.ve been out of school too long" Please lady i am not dumb. during the brief meeting she kept saying i was good and i could defer my payments for up to ten years like she did. she even said that grants would cover most of tuition..80, 000. i thank all who take time out to share their stories on websites like these to warn young ppl like myself about scams like westwood thanks to you i.ve saved 80, 000 . even though i cnt get my 50 buxx back it made me open my eyes and realizze everyone is not here for u...especially westwood admissions reps...

Resolved Westwood College — westwood college not accredited

When I had entered Westwood College, I was told that Westwood was accredited, that any college would take my...

Resolved Westwood Collegeunauthorized charges

After only one year of westwood college, I went from an intimidated young adult returning to school, to a confident decision maker by removing myself from such an unorganized institution. I was repeatedly reminded of weakness in the organization by the constant change of authority.

Every week, a new member of staff would be replaced, especially in the financial aid department. I was Already swallowing my pride and kicking myself for the Sallie Mae loans I have to repay. After healing from a surgery 1 year after leaving Westwood, I was contacted by a collections recovery, telling me I have a 15000 loan and if I don't pay it back now im going to be in a lot of trouble!!

I have my financial aid packet and I have no record of any such loan. I know I was taken advantage of because I made sure I knew everything I signed. how can this happen to so many students? il make sure everyone hears about just how shady this school is. They take advantage of young eager to learn individuals.

• Re
    Renster May 07, 2009

I too was cheated by them...I lost many years and money because of them...my email address is [email protected] Westwood got sued by 60 students in Texas and the students won. Lets do it again.

Daniel Jun 17, 2009

If I could ever have a do over in my life it would be in March 2006 when I went to talk to the admissions rep at Westwood College. Lies, lies, lies were all I was told. I complained to any and everyone there at that college about how bad the teachers were and they assured me things would get better. Externship site was a joke and I didn't complete the required time on my externship site, but was told to just make something up by the externship coordinator. Had to wait six months after completing the course to take my certification test so we could take it with the class that just completed the course and was helped with the answers on the parts we never covered. When I finally got a job interview (the only one I got) for a job in the field I had 'studied in' I failed miserably. Their test was 100% harder than the certification test. As I took the test at that job interview, I just kept getting madder and madder at Westwood College for not providing me my money's worth of education and myself for not bailing out.

dave123 Jul 02, 2009

I attended Westwood Online for all of 2006. My admissions rep never informed me that the program cost 64k. My loans never got approved and towards the end of the year they finally told me how much in the hole I was. I decided to drop out because there was no way I was going to pay 64k for an online degree. The school recently settled a lawsuit with the Department of Justice. There is also a class action lawsuit that has recently been filed against these crooks.

ratigy24 Jul 08, 2009

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there that is in the same boat as I am. I attended Westwood College in SW Houston, TX for a little over a year (2006-2008). I had most of my basics already completed so I was told by the advisor my cost would not be that high; infact, I remember her giving me an estimate of about $15, 000. I figured that was reasonable so I continued with the whole process and bought into their whole lies. I filled out for financial aid and did not receive grant money which wasn't a surprise. Afterwards I was encouraged to fill out the paperwork for loans. I went through the whole loan process. I had no clue how much my classes + books were going to cost and they never told me how much my award amount would be to begin with . They said to leave that spot blank while filling out the loan applications. They knew exactly how much I would need to borrow. YEA SURE. So I go to school and graduate. Let me just go on to mention that I learned ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Teachers passed everyone. I even had a teacher that hit on me and email/text perverted things. I was so close to filing charges if he would have touched me that would have been it. Back to the financial situation...I got out of school and realized that I owed about $25, 000 to Sallie Mae and $6, 000 to Westwood for private loans since my loans didn't cover everything (so they say). This isn't even going the full 2 years! I am going to UH now but I have to pay a crazy amount just right now on private loans. I don't even want to imagine what it will be like after I get out of school. This is crazy! Going to school there for a little over a year couldn't possibly cost that much! I didn't even get anything out of it! If someone has had the same experience, please contact me: [email protected] Thanks.

• Es
    eshia1 Jan 18, 2012

I agree with that here is my email [email protected] as well if you'll are going for a law sue I in.