Sunspots Vacation Rentals Complaints & Reviews

Sunspots Vacation RentalsBad service

I rented a vacation house with five friends in Leavenworth, WA to celebrate Oktoberfest. We had a great time and the house lived up to its advertising. We were careful to leave the house clean and in excellent condition.

I paid $1305.00 plus a refundable deposit of $400 for three days. When I did not receive the deposit back, I contacted Sunspot and asked them about the deposit. They told me that they were not going to refund my deposit because I had ten extra people staying the weekend there. That, of course, was a total lie. There were six adults and one 5-year old child staying in the house, all of which were disclose on the rental agreement. No one else stepped foot anywhere near the place over the weekend.

They refused to discuss it with me, or to provide any evidence of these additional 10 'phantom people' that they claim were staying there. I wrote over ten letters and had all of my friends sign affidavits stating that no one else stepped foot on the property (the affidavits were provided by Sunspots). After all of that, they still refused to refund the deposit.

I filed reports with the Better Business Bureau and the Washington State Attorney General, but Sunspot refused to respond to the complaints. I was contemplating taking them to small claims court when, to my surprise, I received a letter from the Attorney General stating that they had gotten a judgment and settlement against Sunspots. They followed up the letter with a check for a partial refund of my deposit. While I only got less than half of my refund back, I felt totally vindicated. There is justice in the world.

Stay as far away from this company as possible. Even though the Attorney General and the courts forced them to pay up, I dont believe for a minute that the experience caused them to grow some ethics and integrity.

• St
    Stay Away Nov 20, 2008

I worked for Sunspots for a short period of time and was shocked at how little concern they had for industry ethics and guest safety. Even when the health inspector wrote them up for conditions that truly endangered guests, they laughed and called the very serious violations a "joke". Their "response" to something no professional lodging firm would even consider allowing was to seek to get the inspector fired. Sad, sad, sad situation... I left as soon as possible. Be very, very careful if ever booking with them.

• Dr
    Dr.Mike Mar 26, 2009

Same experience happened to me, no refund check for 4 months I called them six times. I am so happy you got some justice, these guys are a horrible company.

Mad in Canada Aug 18, 2009

OK, now I know that waiting 6 weeks for our refund is business as usual for these guys. I'm considering a lawsuit or a Twitter negative publicity campaign...

ChilliWilli Jan 25, 2010

I wish someone would start a twitter campaign! These people are the worst of the worst. They spend a lot of money on marketing to be at the top of the list for their properties on the internet, but once they've got your money, you are like yesterday's garbage. I waited months to get my damage deposit and it's a law in Washington state that damage deposits must be returned within two weeks of the guest leaving the property. Their houses at Wapato Point are for sale, short sale and they have stopped doing any maintenance; the yard was a mess, overgrown and weeds everywhere. The house was very expensive to rent, and I saw other houses that were much nicer, and cheaper. The layout of the house was very weird (had to go through a bedroom to get to the back yard), but of course all that information was not available on the web site.

Unknown. Jan 20, 2013

From Beachwood Resort

We have a difficult situation in our hand concerning a fraudulent third party management company of William Victor May continuously making unauthorized reservations and credit card transactions with our guests. He is a career criminal and we found that out the hard way. Even after our association with all of his operations was terminated, he is misleading our guests and taking reservation deposits for him to keep (in some cases 100% of the rent amount). Now he is making up fake promotions and discounts to collect more deposit money. These funds don’t go to Beach Wood Resort at all!

Please do not make any credit card transactions or reservations with this illegal organization. They go by many different names but it’s all under William Victor May’s direction: Vortex company, iStay, Finito Services, Sunspots Vacation Rentals, Goldener Inns & Resorts Network and other various names falsely acting as representing Beach Wood Resort. He has victimized many other lodging businesses like us using different company names.

However, if you've already made a deposit to any of William Victor May's company listed above, please cancel your reservation completely by notifying your credit company that Beach Wood Resort has canceled service due to these being unauthorized bookings. These transactions are not authorized by Beach Wood Resort.

The web site ILoveBeachwood.com is also under full control of William Victor May. It is not our official website! We have no control over this website at all and none of the payments or reservations made through ILoveBeachwood.com will reach Beach Wood Resort.

If you have any question regarding reservation, send us email to [email protected] or give us a call during business hour. Our telephone number: 360-289-2177 and 425-818-5151 .

We are working on it in every way possible to protect our guests from his scam and hopefully convict him of criminal wrong doings. Please be advised as of now, any reservations or funds deposited to any of William May's companies we've listed above, we cannot be held responsible. We have done all we can but he isn’t going to stop doing these illegal transactions anytime soon and there are already too many to count. William May does not send us any of these booking information or deposited funds. Therefore we had to come to a decision not to allow any service to these fraudulent reservations by William May’s operations.

Please accept my sincere apology for this inconvenience. I have the highest appreciation and gratitude for you all. If possible please pass this information to your friends or family members who were guest of Beach Wood Resort in the past. Thank you in advance for all your support and understanding.

Sunspots Vacation RentalsPoor customer service!

Firstly, this company already has an unsatisfactory record with the Better Business Bureau, and when we added our complaint to the pile, the company did not bother to respond. We stayed at one of the Sunspot-managed properties for a weekend in October, 2007. When we were making the initial reservations, the Sunspots staff was very disorganized and slow to respond to inquiries. They kept making excuses like their email system was down, and they wanted to do everything by fax, even though we explained to them that we don't happen to have a personal fax machine in our home. We had visitors coming in from overseas for the vacation weekend, and wanted everything confirmed in advance, but Sunspots did not provide us with the necessary details (directions, key code) to get into our unit until the day before our scheduled check-in, which was frustrating and stressful. On top of that, when we did receive our contract, our names were misspelled and the numbers in our address transposed. We notified the office of their mistake, but they made no corrections on subsequent paperwork they sent. The amount of the deposit we were required to pay was more than the total rent for the entire weekend. Sunspots took several weeks to return the deposit, and when they did, it was not in full. The Sunspots staff offered various excuses as to why the deposit was not completely refunded. We were initially told that there was a "burn hole" in the carpet. When we pointed out that the unit had hardwood floors, the excuse changed to a "burn mark" on the kitchen floor. When we asked for further proof, and information on the exact date that the damage was reported by the cleaning staff, Sunspots "manager" (actually, we were told that they were too small to have a manager, so we were referred to a member of the accounting staff, Lynnette), said that she could not find our file, and would have to call us back. She never called back and subsequent calls/messages/emails were never returned, and even when the BBB got involved, Sunspots did not respond. Their staff are totally disorganized and irresponsible and their handling of our situation clearly proves that they can not be trusted with other people's money or property. Both property owners and guests considering Sunspots should beware.

• Ca
    Carrie MacKay Jul 22, 2008

I totally agree with you and we will never book with 'Sunspots again. We stayed at Wapato Point 6/20 for a week. It as a very nice house but we also had the problem of getting the keycode prior to arrival. We had to call them they never gave us any information. We had a few issues with the house some their fault and some the builders fault. Not all the bedding was clean, food, hair, stains etc. Our main issue with Sunspots is the damage deposit. They claim that damage was done to the house namely a stain on the carpet in the main level guest room, however, it was already there. Stains on the white washclothes and hand towels that couldn't come out, a stain on a mattress pad and scratches on the granite countertop. We have contacted them using phone calls and letters and disputing these fees. Cleaning the carpet 100.00, new mattress pad 100.00, fixing countertop 150.00, 4 washcloths 5.00 each and 4 hand towels 10.00 each. I strongly suggest that if ANYONE books with Sunspots they document with photographs anything and everything at the home you rent. We are trying to get copies of the receipts proving that is the amount they spent for all the "damage".. They are also taking 13.5% tax on all these amounts. The whole experience dealing with them has been an eye opener. DO NOT BOOK WITH SUNSPOTS EVER!!!

• Su
    Sunspots_Employee Aug 04, 2008

Trust someone who currently works for this company (not for long). They even feel they can justify stealing money from their employees. I was talking with the owner, William May, and he actually said to me. 'I don't care about the customer, we don't even want to deal with the customer, we just want their money and never talk to them again'

This place is like the shady car sales lot of the vacation industry. All the images and pictures on the website look nice, but if its a place they actually own, its run into the ground. broken windows, doors, uncleaned sheets (sex stains). It's really gross.

I can tell you that the company is in financial trouble. they will try and charge you for as many things as they can. They are constantly fighting with companies because their services are getting turned off for non payment. Paychecks to their employees are even bouncing for NSF.

I warn you, STAY AWAY!!!

• Tm
    TMichael Oct 31, 2009

These people do lie. Their listing on Elk Trail Cabins contained information that was totally untrue - I won't bore you with the details. It took me 8 weeks to get our damage deposit back and then they shorted me on it with no explanation. In my opinion, these people are totally dishonest. I've rented from many, many companies in the past and Sunspots is by far - way more - worse than any I've dealt with.

• Ki
    Kiwi77 Jan 24, 2010

I am just at a loss for words. I have spent so much time and energy trying to get our deposit back that I am so exhausted and beyond angry. I can't even write the review I would like to write. Long story short, do not ever rent one of their properties.

• Wa
    WA1999 Apr 16, 2011

I was in the process of renting a vacation house through Sunspots last summer. Over the phone and in writing, I gave my requested dates and was told the house was available. I supplied my credit card number to reserve the house and was emailed the rental contract. After reviewing the contract I noticed the check-in date was not as requested and called to get the date straightened out. The mistake was clearly Sunspots' error- I had in writing and a voicemail from Sunspots stating that the house was available for the date requested. My understanding was that nothing would be charged to the credit card until the contract was signed but they charged $2500.00 the day they emailed the contract to me. They were not interested in correcting their mistake or refunding the partial rent that they had charged my credit card BEFORE the contract was executed. After they had the money they did not give a hoot about fixing THEIR error. We eventually got our money back after disputing the charge through our credit card.
    Wish I had done research on this company before contacting them -- I quick internet search would have revealed Sunspots has an 'F' rating with the Better Business Bureau and had to pay $$$ restitution to the WA State Attorney General's office. Search the web for complaints and read for yourself. King 5 and Kiro 7 both did consumer reports on Sunspots in 2009.
    If you have complaint against Sunspots, I urge you to file a complaint with the WA State Attorney General's Office. "Whether or not your individual complaint is resolved to your satisfaction, the basic information on your problem will be retained along with all other complaint information we receive. This information helps us to identify patterns of illegal activity which require enforcement action by the Attorney General's Office."

Unknown. Jan 18, 2013

From Beachwood Resort Ocean shores

The web site ILoveBeachwood.com is also under full control of William Victor May. It is not our official website ! We have no control over this website at all and none of the payments or reservations made through ILoveBeachwood.com will reach Beach Wood Resort.

If you have any question regarding reservation, send us email to [email protected] or give us a call during business hour. Our telephone number: 360-289-2177 and 425-818-5151.

Sincerely.

Jane Lee / Beach Wood Resort LLC
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 360-289-2177, 425-818-5151

• The problem between the user and the company has been resolved.

Unknown. Jan 18, 2013

From Beachwood Resort

• Ke
    kenb123 Jul 15, 2016

Agree completely. We reserved SUNSPOTS Sunbaks Resort at Banks Lake, WA. I got confirmed reservation number at the time of booking paid in full. On the day of arrival called the resort they didn't have my reservation. I then called SUNSPOTS after about an hour of waiting for an answer, SUNSPOTS told me that the resort made a mistake and didn't make my reservation. They offered full refund. OK great, but where I am going to stay for the weekend we had fishing plans with guides at the Banks lake, "EVERYTHING ELSE IS BOOKED, SORRY" replied SUNSPOTS agent.
    What a disgraceful bunch of slugs.
    STAY AWAY FROM SUNSPOTS!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices