skyshasphynx cattery Complaints & Reviews

skyshasphynx catteryFemale Spyhnx kitten

Well i purchased a female Spyhnx kitten from Elizabeth Largent on 02/25/10 an within me having my kitten it became sick with FiP.I only had the kitten only 30 days an it became very sick with no cure for its symptons, later on i had to make the choice to put it to sleep before talkig to Elizabeth she stated that she was sorry for my lost an she did nothing else for me but to tell me that i would have to wait for a new litter of kittens, all i wanted in return was my full refund of the kitten.Then she stated that she did not want to refund my cash but to offer me another kitten when one comes avaliable .I beleive her kitten was sick prior of selling her to me because within the first week my kitten had a upper respitory issue which my vetenerian later told me this was the first signs of FIP Which is a deadly disease with no cure for it, you can not tell the symptons right away sometimes it might take weeks or maybe years my vet told me.So Buyer beware of this lady because now she does not even return my phone calls after all that i been through you would think she would want to do the right thing.So now i have no choice but to sue her for vet bills of taking care of a sick kitten that i had.I have tried to contact her for the refund of my kitten of 1200.00 dollars but she refuses so i will sue for vet bills plus the cost of my female kitten an the troubles i had to go through with the whole process.Also i have a male spyhnx cat which i purchased from a different breeder an had no troubles with him until i brought my female kitten from Elizabeth an now my male kitten is starting to sneeze like my female kitten, you can look up this disease an find out the symptoms for yourself but if your cat or kitten show signs of these symptoms there is no cure for it what so ever your cat or kitten will die instantly with complications breathing an so on.SO stay as far from this breeder as possible because you might get a sick kitten that will probaly have this disease, also there is no symptoms right away so beware!!!

• Ca
    catcraze Apr 02, 2010

Research FIP. It cannot be diagnosed until after the cat has died. There is no tests for it, no cure, no(good) vaccine for it. Did you have a necropsy done and have documents to prove that it died from FIP? you put a cat to sleep without really knowing if it had FIP. Elizabeth offered you a replacement you say. if you look at your contract im sure it states there is no refunds. Elizabeth has done her part in offering you a replacement. Good luck trying to sue her. No breeder that i know of gives money refunds, but will offer a replacement. She didnt have to offer you a replacement since you didnt consult her before putting the kitten to sleep. You should be suing your vet!
    i bought a sphynx from skyshasphynx that did pass away. I had a necropsy done and there was no cause of death found. elizabeth still made it right and replaced the kitten with another. My new kitten is super healthy and we are very greatful for the replacement.

• Ro
    Roes Apr 02, 2010

This is his wife.I just wanted to put my 2 cents in since everyone else is.First of all my husband called ELizabeth PRIOR to putting our baby to sleep and ELIZABETH suggested to go ahead and put the kitten to sleep since she was in pain.I would like to know where the hell you went to school and do you have a license to diagnois /treat animals???Because our vet IS licensed and she informed us that the out kitten died of FIP.Now with in a short time of purchasing our baby ( that was her name and we treated her like one) she had runny eyes and sneezing.My husband would get up in the night to doctor her and around this time ( a few weeks after purchasing her) I asked ELizabeth for help since it was plain to see we bought a sick cat (not that WE got her sick- she was already sick days within purchase) and she refused to buy the cat back.So we paid over $800 in vet bills within the few short weeks of owning our kitten.We were very proactive /consulted with out Vet and unfortuntely our baby died despite our efforts.My husband slept with this cat, he bathed her, cleaned her, talked to her softly and held her gently.Its not just about the money ( but yeah $1200 + vet expenses down the drain is hard to stomach) its that we lost our baby.And I even told Elizabeth that we would accept an replacement animal ( big suprise here but we haven't heard back from her!) To all the customers who have healthy happy cats- thats wonderful.I'm happy you got what YOU paid for.We did not. And again if you don't have years experience and a title to go with that -lets leave it up to the REAL doctor vets- not someone that has nothang better to do than surf the web for a few minutes and TRY to sound Knowlegable.You should be playing with your healthy kitten instead of adding salt to our wounds.

• Ca
    catcraze May 28, 2010

in your original post you stated that you put the cat to sleep before talking to elizabeth. i am not trying to sound knowledgeable, i am. I raise and show cats and have researched anything cat related extensively. i diagnose and treat my own cats all of the time. if it is something i feel i cannot treat, i consult my vet. but you dont have to have a liscense or go to school to know how to diagnose and treat. i do not appreciate your tone with me. i was simply stating to you that you wont get a cash refund, but beth is very good about replacing the kitten.

I see from other posts from you that others too have stated that it is impossible! to know a cat has FIP until AFTER it has died. Vets are not always correct. I had a kitten of my own become sickly and i took him to the vet for tests. We did bloodwork and i had to wait until over the weekend for the results. in the meantime my kitten died. We were taking the first step in finding out what was wrong with my kitten, but we ran out of time. my vet said he most likely died of PKD. Which i know is not correct because both parents are dna tested pkd negative. So it was a guess from my vet, and he was wrong. I am insulted that you state i have nothing better to do than surf the net and i should go play with my healthy kitten. I am very greatful for the internet because it is a wealth of imformation for breeders and pet owners. It only takes a few minutes out of my day, leaving plenty of time to cuddle with my cats. Which by the way my kitten finds my computer time the best time for him to curl up on my lap and nap.:)

i also see you posted about a month ago that you are getting a replacement kitten from elizabeth. this is all i was trying to tell you, that you will not see a cash refund and its not reasonable to expect one. She will replace the animal. I dont know if beths contract states this, but i do know in my contract to my pet buyers is that all medical expenses incurred after the kitten is in the buyers possession is the responsibility of the buyer.so again i am sorry you had to spend so much on your sick kitten and go through all of that. it is heartbreaking to have to experience this..but please learn to speak more kindly to others online who are merely trying to offer you advise.

skyshasphynx catteryupdated complaint

After I filed my complaint I received a real nasty call from the husband of Mrs. Largent, Mr. Chet Largent. I still have the message left on my voicemail after an extremely unprofessional call I had to hang up do to his vulgar manor. He left a detailed message that I had to apologize to him and his wife for how I felt about the whole deal in order to receive the blue slip that I had already paid for. Mrs. Largent would only text message me, were she expressed no remorse for her husband’s and her actions. Mrs. Largent then attempted to take back the breeding rights after I paid for them, by telling me I had to have our female fixed or return her to the cattery because she believed we weren’t fit to breed her cat. When it was the kitten and her cats’ welfare we were concerned about. I did receive the blue slip approx 90 day after the purchase (after we took possession of the kitten). I was glad to see her stand by our agreement to send the slip. I truly feel she has a great breed of cats, but I can’t stand by and say I had a good experience. It was stressful and hard, I didn’t know if I was going to have to fly back to Texas for court, or what to expect. I’m still concerned for what I may have to deal with in the future. I’ll update the information, but I’m not going to remove the complaint. I truly feel that she was unprofessional with this transaction. I will keep it updated until I feel comfortable with this cattery again.

• Bo
    Bobbie Elliff Oct 05, 2008

We purchased two male kittens from Elizabeth Largent a little over a year ago. One has been healthy and hardy and is a gorgeous male sphynx that is very close to the perfect breed standard. The smaller male is also a gorgeous sphynx. Both have tremendous temperment and both are candidates for studs should we decide to breed them.

The smaller male has had costly life threatening health issues. Our vet has infomed us that a virus was passed from his mother to him. It cannot be passed from him to kittens if he is kept away from the litter.

Our diagnosis and findings were provided to Elizabeth with the intention of sharing information so that she could be aware of health issues and protect her own animals.

We invesitigated several top breeders and went to personally meet her and see her cattery before deciding to buy our kittens from her. She personally delivered them to our home and was also able to see what kind of home we have to provide.

Perhaps our medical information could be of benefit to you. If you would like a copy of our report from our veterinarian, we would be willing to share that information with you as well.

We are not breeders, however, we passionately support the health and well being of the unique sphynx breed. We love the breed. We have only the two males that we treat like our children.

Our objective in responding to this situation is to offer our medical information (bought and paid for in full) in order to protect and promote good health for our sphynx and yours.

While our connection to you is in that we share the breeder, we may also share the desire to promote the integrity of the breed and to build an awareness of health issues.

Respectfully,
    Specifically Sphynx Owners
    Jerry and Bobbie
    817 277-1535

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices