ReUnion.com Complaints & Reviews

ReUnion.comEMAIL ADDRESS BOOK HARVESTING

I am an attorney researching the business practices of WWW.REUNION.COM and WWW.MYLIFE.COM . I am interested in their practices as it relates to the unauthorized SCRAPING OF EMAIL ADDRESS BOOKS.

Pending my review, consideration of legal action shall be evaluated. I located your complaint from a google search of all those complaining about reunion.com and my life.com . Any information you may provide would be helpful so as for me to understand the issues, but response should not be considered as developing an attorney-client relationship. I merely need to obtain information.

Here's a few questions:

1) were you enticed to visit reunion.com after an email came to you, appearing like it was from a friend, inviting you to join reunion.com?

2) do you feel the terms of service and privacy policy noted on the site explained what exactly reunion.com was going to do to your email address book?

3) Were your email address contacts emailed an invitation to join reunion.com after receiving an invitation which claimed you sent them the invite?

4) how has your involvement damaged your reputation or any finacial losses?
So as to support my interest and qualify my identity, I would refer you to a few of my recent cases I filed, so that you can confirm that I do represent individuals in internet privacy matters. Google my recent cases:

simon v adzilla

Once you locate these cases, review the atorneys noted, and then confirm I have the same email as the attorney noted on the lawsuit:

[protected]@gmail.com"

Please feel free to contact me in confidence to discuss any issues. As noted at this point I am merely researching and discussing complaints to determine if there is any allegations of merit.

email me back at: [protected]@gmail.com

ReUnion.comScam and cheating

I received an email that looked like it was from a friend inviting me to join her at Reunion.com. I started to accept but didn't finish all the info - luckily! Once you accept the company sweeps your inbox and sends invites to everyone. This is insidious!

They sent a couple more invites until I eventually blocked them. I don't want a company sending emails out in my name and I should be able to choose who I want receiving invites from me. It really left a bad taste in my mouth, and my friends weren't even the ones who were spammed.

ReUnion.comScaping E-Mail List

I've been a member of Classmates.com for years. On the same day that I got their e-mail in my spam folder, an e-mail from Reunion.com arrived. I clicked the link in the Reunion.com e-mail to connect to their web site. I registered & "joined" using a similar password to my e-mail account. Reunion.com scraped my e-mail list acting like a virus & contacted everyone on my list. My friends have all been notifying me. I never gave them any credit card information.

L. Harvey

Phone: 214-943-6100

[email protected]"

email me back at: [email protected]

ReUnion.comunauthorized renewal of membership

My account was set to "Automatic Renewal DISABLED." I was billed for a subscription renewal anyway through PayPal. I contested the charge through PayPal, and attempted to close my account on the reunion.com web site. I was required to contact reunion.com via toll-free phone number, and was told by the sales agent that he could not access my information and would have to call me back.

joe Aug 10, 2009

Phone: 214-943-6100

[email protected]"

email me back at: [email protected]

ReUnion.comIdentity Theft

My name, and personal information has been used and posted online, name, address, age, and other information. I never signed up for anything with this website and I want my name and information removed from this site. A quick search using McCafee's Site Advisor will show a whole slew of complaints against Reunion.com including illegal business practices, spamming, harvesting of personal identifiable information, scamming people out of their money, phishing, illegal use of debit&credit cards and God knows what else. REUNION.COM NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN!!

ReUnion.comprivacy invasion and phishing

AVOID THIS SITE LIKE A PLAGUE!!! I received an email from a friend (it was not actually sent by my friend) asking me to join a networking site called reunion.com. So I did the register (free account) form, including my name, address and age. Immediately it hyjacked every email I'd sent from my AOL account and sent our a solicitation to everyone.

I can't imagine what immoral or illegal things they'd do if I actually paid money to get the full account.

Jane Doe Nov 25, 2008

This is a horrible, horrible company. Block the domain BEFORE you receive your first email! An employee at my company received an invitation from a friend. She thought she'd check it out, overlooked the tiny, tiny box that allows you to opt out of having them send an invite to everyone in your address book and - voila - everyone at our company and all of our email lists for different teams and client groups are now being pelted relentlessly with email from reunion.com. Since it came unwittingly from someone they knew, more people made the same mistake, overlooked the opt out box, etc, etc. We spent hours trying to untangle this mess. When you go back and hit the "delete this account" option you don't notice the tiny print saying you have to call them to complete the process.

I called and told them to stop all email to our domain-based email addresses. They told me it couldn't be done - even though I can prove I own the domain. I insisted on speaking with a supervisor and made it very clear that I would invite everyone annoyed by this, by extension more than a 1, 000 people, to complain to all the relevant authorities. They said they'd stop emailing our domain. We'll see.

• Pr
    Private Person Dec 04, 2008

This is an open letter to the owner/CEO of REUNION.COM, Jeffrey P. Tinsley, who is very hard to locate (he thinks) even while he is ripping off all the private data of as many Americans as he can, and selling it for Big Bucks on his unsavory reunion.com and highschoolalumni.com sites. Turnabout seems fair play for one who thinks nothing of violating other people's privacy and violating their boundaries, jeopardizing their safety and peace of mind...

Well, Jeffrey, you are a little hard to locate, but we found you, at 310-571-3144, x105. We really do not like the fact that you are publishing private people's private information on your reunion.com and highschoolalumni.com sites, without their knowledge or permission. We suggest that you STOP DOING SO immediately. Surely you can convert your sites into OPT IN instead of OPT OUT.

Oh, we also found your home address in google and Peoplefinders and other sites. We learned you gave $4600 to the B.O. for Prez campaign; and that you attended Granada Hills Senior High. We also learned your house on ASHLAND PL in L.A. is a mere 6165 square feet! Nice digs, at OUR expense, as you clearly are making Big Bucks by selling our private info. Some people consider this lowlife BLOOD SUCKING...

Oh, by the way, we noticed several MINORS are listed in your database at reunion.com --don't think the Feds or State officials will be very happy to hear about that.

Well, thanks Jeffrey for listening. Hope you REVAMP your sleazy snoop-site to make it OPT IN instead of making private people jump thru hoops in order to get out of your sleazy snoop system.
    Cheers!

• Re
    Reunion.com IS A SCAM Dec 06, 2008

This company is a total scam. They are buying huge amounts of data from 3rd parties, and offering on their sight to entice other members to join. They assign a user "profile" to all the data that they buy, even though that person has never registered for their service. They also list family members and places lived on the search results as if they had been really supplied by the user. Attempts to remove your name from this list is not possible. I you follow their opt out policy, you must either submit MORE personal information about yourself to their website, which does not make sense if the purpose is to DELETE unauthorized personal information in the first place, or th only other choice is to send a notarized form via snail mail to the address provided. After doing this they do not respond. I then filed a complaint with TrustE, which is a seal that they proudly display on their sight. After much contact back and forth, reunion.com did NOT delete my name, but now the search results states "USER PROFILE not available" I am not and have never been a user. Also, on the initial search screen my name is still listed with places lived, family members, etc. Nothing here has changed. I am still complaining through TrustE but so far their response has been just to rubber stamp any thing reunion.com says. This is an evil company. Stay away... oh that's right you can't, everyone is already there.

• Cr
    Crystal Peterson Apr 30, 2009

Unfortunately, I am just beginning to realize the nightmare that I have gotten myself into. I did not realize that they were going to charge my credit card for the whole year at one time. They make you think it is only $5 a month. The only reason I went to this website is because they sent me an email stating that someone was searching for me and I was curious to see who it was. Turns out it was someone that I didn't even know. So I emailed them asking them to please refund my money as I mistakenly thought I was only signing up for 1 month and was told no, they do not give refunds. So I have a feeling this is going to be a long drawn out sad ordeal.

• In
    ingird Jul 20, 2009

i also have been scammed by this site the people who had supposedly tried to contact me didn't even graduate from a high school in the state i did and the ages of the people didn't match my age.if any one knows a government agency to report this to i would be glad to know

ReUnion.comInvasion of my privacy

I have been advised, at this point, that two of my contacts have received correspondence from Reunion.com. I never authorized nor requested any correspondence to be sent to anyone from Reunion.com. I consider my contacts as personal, and find these mailings a total invasion of my privacy.

I have notified the company by e-mail, and offerred them my telephone number. Even after repeated telephone calls which are treated with disrespect and rudeness, their promise, within 24 hours, of a return contact has not been satisfied. I would suggest a caveat in providing this company with any personal information. Their handling of such information is very questionable. BEWARE

• Da
    Darryl Nov 27, 2008

Yes, they sent things to people I know without my permission! And I am having trouble getting them to stop.

ReUnion.comBuyer beware!

Just want to say that they are very good at what they do. They actually had the name of a friend of mine from high school, so I thought what the heck, I'll pay the year. They automatically charged my card for three years, and now I am almost maxed-out on the card! I know that it is my fault for signing up, but I did NOT want the three years. From what I have read, I see I cannot even reduce the charge from three years to one year, so I am really stuck paying this stupid fee for a totally useless rip off and I every time I see their e-mails I could just kick myself. Buyer beware, caveat emptor and all that. The only reason their membership is so high is because they keep getting idiots like me to sign up. I'll be first in line if there is ever a class-action lawsuit. Not only that, but that "no refund" thing should be illegal--how can it possibly be legal? If you are dissatisfied with someone's services, don't you deserve a refund? I guess their lawyers knew what a rip-off the company was when they developed their policies.

Just need to vent. Thank you.

Cheryl Sep 12, 2008

Same thing happened to me. Only difference is I chose the one year membership because the ad stated it was only $5/month. Never did it state that I would be charged $5/month for all twelve months ALL AT ONCE! I got charged $60. I called that same day, and they said they wouldn't issue a full refund - they could only give me a partial refund. They charged me for only one month, rather than the entire year, and would process a refund for the rest. They also said it would take 7-10 usiness days for it to be credited back to my account. This was on Aug 31, 2008; it is now Sept. 12th, 2008. Not counting Aug. 31st, and not counting the weekends, it has been EXACTLY 10 business days. I called them up again, just now, and of course, no resolve. They want me to contact my credit card company and speak with them; if they say they haven't received their request, then I have to call reunion.com back and THEN they'll submit it manually on Monday. So now I have to wait until MONDAY... I need my money back NOW.

• Mi
    Michael Sep 25, 2008

Same thing happened to me today, i was thinking about stopping payment on the card and just paying the stop payment fee. Thoughts?

• Pa
    paul dugas Nov 05, 2008

Paypal defends the transaction on Reunion.com behalf - apparently this little scam is profitable for everyone in the money line. What's sadly ironic is no one is ever reunited with a long lost friend. Simple scam

• Fe
    FeFe Dec 30, 2008

They did the same crap to me. They had a message upon registation that they were running an introductory fee of $5.00 a month, and they lied saying you wouldn't be billed right a way. They didn't say that they would bill it all up front and they did. i looked at my bank account and say they charged me $60.00. The only thing that prompted me to sign up with them was my School had it 's 20 th year anniversay recently and i got an email claiming that 17 people were looking for me. When I signed up there were were no one I knew, just random people from different states. One person had my same name from another state. They probably found her from a phone book and added her name on. I called the company for a refund and after I held the line for about 30 minutes the call disconnects. I do beleive they are tied into other companies like Classmates.com . I also notied on my account were other little charges for $1.00 here and $4.00 there. Cut off your card immediatley if you have signed up with these crooks.Beware!!!

• Ro
    Rocketmanfive Jun 18, 2009

Same again... spread the word, they only want to have a REUNION with everyone's money. Shame is they could make more of the long term by being straight up. Let me know if there is a class action.

ReUnion.com — Charged my PayPal account after cancellation

I have a paypal account. I signed up with reunion.com for a subscription for 36.00. I found the people I...

ReUnion.com — Misrepresentation, unethical customer service

I have been led to believe I could obtain a full email address from this reunion.com after I pay the 3 year...

ReUnion.com — School reunion website

I used an online reunion service this morning and was disappointed by their business practices. You sign up...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices