MOVE-A-PIANO.COM Complaints & Reviews

MOVE-A-PIANO.COMPiano Move

I would agree with previous poster in strongly recommending you find another piano mover.

I hired David Webster at Move-a-Piano.com to move my piano into storage at their Oklahoma site, and then to be moved later to my home in Utah.

It is a C1 Yamaha Mark IV. It was moved with no issue. However, while I was overseas I got a message from David stating my piano had been accidentally placed on a truck heading west and would I be able to take delivery. I was amazed to say the least. I phoned him and found out his company was going out of business – and he was trying to get all pianos out of his storage unit.

My piano was delivered – but my bench was missing. It contained the hand-unit for the Mark IV and several other items. I called David and was told they would look for it. A few weeks went by and nothing happened. I called again – but now he’s not answering the phone. I leave messages – Nothing. I do manage to get him on the phone one more time three weeks ago, and since then he will not return my calls.

I paid for storage until February, but he told me he did not have the money to re-reimburse me for this overage. He also REFUSES to provide me with the insurance information so I can file a claim. ) Paid $200 for this insurance, but my guess is it was never paid to the insurance company.

My bench is worth $400 – the hand held unit costs $1, 200 to replace. In total I am on the hook for over 2K because I trusted this company and this man to do their job. This is not a matter of opinion. They LOST these items and refuse to help me recover them or the funds needed to replace. David Webster will no longer answer his phone – a message now stating ‘Piano Central.’ I assume when I call now he can see my number on his caller ID.

I have filed a criminal complaint with the Tulsa PD as I believe the money kept for the insurance and him not providing that info constitutes as a ‘scam.’

However, it seems now he is out of business, but if you see the name David Webster having anything to do with pianos – I would stay away. He is the worst kind of business person – someone who takes no accountability for their actions.

• Sh
      Shocked and disgusted Apr 08, 2013

I not only completely agree with you, but I will add that I had an antique Steinway grand piano that he not only did not restore, and refinish properly, he literally destroyed its value, sound and playability - a piano valued at 100K, after David delivered it back to me was worth maybe 18K. I tried to investigate suing him, but was told by an attorney that I would be way down the line of similar persons and stories and that he had declared bankruptcy anyway. I have never met a person who presents himself as a hardworking, careful artisan who was nothing but a manipulator and fraud and a really dishonest person. Have nothing to do with any of his fronts - World of Steinway, Move-a-piano, or any other of the many he has/had on line. The Better Business Bureau needs to put out a national disclaimer on him.

• Da
      Dave Mar 03, 2009

Pedal lyre was misplaced in transit, and eventually made its' way home. Sorry for the delay. Our sales reps answer the phones almost 24/7 though our business hours are 10am-6pm central standard time. Feel free to call [protected], and press the long-haul extension any time.

You could have filed an insurance claim following delivery and didn't, so please don't complain about it. The link was on your receipt.

• Tr
      Trevor Dec 11, 2008

I paid this company to move a baby grand piano across the country. They lost part of the piano, provided no refund, did not honor the insurance I paid for, and will not answer emails or phone calls. They did not reply to BBB, which has given them an unsatisfactory rating. A complete rip-off, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

MOVE-A-PIANO.COMIncompetent piano moving

Choose ANYONE else to move your piano, including your local plumber - I promise you that they will do a better job than MOVE-A-PIANO.COM!

MOVE-A-PIANO.COM moved my Yamaha C6 grand piano from Florida to San Francisco North Bay. They agreed to move it within 2 months, 0 stairs at pickup and 6 stairs at delivery. Here is what happened:

Three months after a HUGE amount of chasing, they finally picked it up in Florida. Two guys in a truck then turned up at my home in San Francisco to move a 7 ft grand up 6 stairs! They obviously couldn't physically do this so they asked my permission to reverse an 18-wheeler truck up the paved walkway to my front door. I refused, due to the very good chance that they would crack the paving. They then called MOVE-A-PIANO who promised to send additional people the next day.

The next day they were back again but with no additional people. So they left, with my piano in the back of the truck, to Seattle! And then to Utah. And then to Los Angeles! Where they finally deposited my piano at someone's private house!!

Weeks later, after numerous phone calls were made, MOVE-A-PIANO.COM finally agreed to redeliver the piano... for an additional $500 "redelivery fee". This time 3 guys turned up to move a 7' grand piano (that is a dead weight of around 300 lbs each...). The piano was delivered scratched and damaged (see attached photos). These were not just surface scratches, but chunks out of the wood!

Bottom line... you would have to be criminally stupid to choose to use these guys!!!

• Pi
        PIANIST May 20, 2011

This guy is a scammer, fraud, criminal. Ruined my piano!!!RUNNNN!

• Mo
        Moveapiano Oct 16, 2009

This was a nice home with wooden steps - in the rain - slick as could be. Move-a-piano.com has a set of terms that deals withthese types of issues. This customer refused to pay additional fees for special circumstances... namely, the protection of slick nice wooden steps and his property, which was to require more help. He was very picky, and didn't trust the mover from the start. The mover became very frustrated.

Move-a-piano.com books for a number of good piano movers in the industry. This one is one of the primary movers of pianos for prominent manufacturers of pianos, and who often moves large Bosendorfer grands which are considered the most difficult because of weight, and the most expensive.

Certain situations require special circumstances. In this case, in order to best protect the weak wooden steps from the weight of the 1050 pound piano, it was recommended that this be a crane hoist onto the platform. The customer would not allow the box truck to back up near his porch so the piano could be ramped. ... or to be precise, he refused to sign the damage waiver for it to pass onto his property. If you have ever laid concrete, you know that the cement trucks will offer you the same damage waiver if they have to take the truck over a curb or sidewalk. They don't want to be responsible for breaking it.

Piano moves are very specialized moves due to the great weight.

If you move a piano, be aware that tight turns in stairways, long carrys, crossing grass, gravel, or dirt with a piano, snow, rain, and other complications may lead to delays and additional fees. Piano movers don't work for free, they don't delay for free, and they don't shovel snow for free, making their other customers late. They don't take ferries for free to islands for deliveries, they don't carry them over banisters for free because you have to hire extra help and bring more equipment by for special circumstances moves. Piano movers don't remove windows or doors for free, or cut the headbeam over your stairway with a chainsaw for free to get it through. Their time costs money too... and the clock is always ticking.

A basic move takes about 15-45 minutes on the pickup side, and the same on delivery. Be prepared for the extras with your checkbook, and your piano mover will have no problem getting the job done. Skimp when there is a problem, and the next mover will have the same issues to contend with

David Webster :)