Magnavox Complaints & Reviews

MagnavoxLED TV, 55ME314V/F7

On November 2, 2016, after less than two years of owning this TV, it made a single loud popping noise and powered off. Since then, I have been unable to turn the TV back on.

I called Magnavox support and was told:

1. It is a defective part that is causing the issue
2. The TV is out of warranty, so support won't help me
3. There are no service centres in southern ontario, Canada

The last means that even if it was within warranty, Magnavox aren't capable of servicing the set anyways.

It also means that the defective TV I have is not supported, Magnavox has no service centres that I could even throw money at to get it fixed, and I'm stuck.

Resolved Magnavox — Turns on and off when it wants to

I bought the Magnavox model number 42MF231D/37 around the end of 2007. I am having a problem with it turning...

Resolved MagnavoxDigital Video Disc Recorder & Cassette Recorder

Product ZV427MG9 A, Digital Video Disc Recorder & Video Cassette Recorder, purchased at Walmart.
Still under manufacturer warranty but can't get help online or phone from manufacturer.
This unit worked well transferring VHS tapes to DVD for several months.
Suddenly, when I insert a tape as usual, it makes a terrific clacking noise, and spits the video out, with the tape all chewed up and hanging out, destroying the video.
There's nothing about this problem in the owner's manual, Walmart said they only give 30 days to return, the manufacturer Magnavox Customer Service said I had the wrong department and gave me the phone number of their Administration Department and a recording said it was closed, although I was calling well during their business hours.

Resolved MagnavoxTV

We bought a 32MD350B/f7 from Sam's and it worked great for the first three months. Now we have problems with it not wanting to turn off and none of the control buttons on the bottom of the TV work. So now I have to take it to one of their service centers and have it fixed.
The parts will be under warranty but I have to pay for the labor even though it's only 5 months old . What a friggen rip off, I'll never buy another Phillips or Magnavox product!

• Al
    alm1 Jun 25, 2010

I bought a Magnavox TV with the built in Blu-Ray. Not even 2 weeks after the 6 month warranty ran out the TV turns off about a minute after I turn it on. Also the Blu-Ray player has a disc stuck and will not play it. The service center said they will cover the parts but not the service fee. The service fee is $300 per trip. If they don't have the parts to fix it the first time they will have to make at least 2 trips.

Magnavoxmagnavox plasma TV

On about November 2006 I bought a Magnavox model 42mf231d/37 plasma TV from Target in Washington for 1600 dollars. On 07/09/2010 the TV lost picture and started smoking so I unplugged it and called Magnavox all I have received from them is a huge run around and they tell me they are not liable that the TV is out of warranty. I have mentioned to Magnavox and Philips that the TV is affected nationwide and there is thousands of consumers they have hurt by this defect that they knew about. Magnavox will not help me they just hang up. I called a local tech he told me the cost to fix Magnavox’s defect would cost me 475 or much more and that I could go and purchase a new plasma 42" TV for 600. So now because of Magnavox’s defect I have to go spend thousands of dollars again to buy another TV. on Magnavox’s website they claim their TV’s will last 60, 000 hours if you divide that by 24 hours you will get 2500 and if you divide that by 365 it equals 6.84 so Magnavox on their website is claiming my TV should have lasted 6.84 years running 24 hours a day. My TV lasted 3 ½ years that’s 30, 000 hours if I had ran my TV 24 hours a day 7 days a week since I bought it. I have contacted the BBB, the FTC and the Attorney General’s office about this matter. there is a class action lawsuit i hope everyone joins it ... i want my money back

• Ly
    Lynne Selman Nov 13, 2007

I purchased magnovox hd51mpg100d on 8 / 9 / 07 it was delived 8 / 14 / 07 since it was delived in my home i keep complaining that the volume was very low & picture lw grade. I called on various occason to no avail finally a technician was duispense who advised needed parts, many appointments were set and many no shows with no calls to me. I have called & called always an excuse. I was told on various occasion that tech is out sick, he'll be @ my premise before 5pm. 5 comes and out i call sears again office is now closed. Is this a joke well joke over if my tv is not fixed by 11 / 22 / 07. I will have to take this too court. New parts have been ordered and it's it's been in my living room for months. I have had it with sears, poor customer service and may i ask why is their only 1 repairman.

Unsatisfied & angry customer

• Cr
    Cragar Jul 13, 2010

You want your money back on a 4 year old tv? Most appliances come with a warranty, usually 3 months to 1 year. Your out of line expecting your money back on something 4 years old and very much far from the warranty period. Sure the NEW tvs on the site advertise 60, 000 hours. Thats today, not 4 years ago. You also say you have to go spend thousands of dollars on a new tv when in your previous sentence your own repair man told you it would be around 600.

• Sh
    shepmom Jul 14, 2010

Unless the TV is under the original warranty or you have an extended warranty, it is your problem. According to the guy who just fixed mine that was under the extended warranty, he said that it's a good idea to buy those warranties now as the newer TV's just don't last that long.

As for spending thousands on a new TV, your repairman is right. You can pick a 42' up for around that price. Just remember to buy the extended warranty.

mark123456 Jul 14, 2010

I bet "stealth pilot" and "crager" work for Magnavox that’s the same attitude they have" go buy a new TV” what a joke ... When you buy a TV for 1600 dollars it should last longer than 3 1/2 years but I’m not going to sit here and argue with Magnavox employees about why they sell defective merchandise

• Sc
    scoobydoo Jul 14, 2010

Why would you buy a Magnavox, you should get a panasonic this time, much better quality for the money.

• Cr
    Cragar Jul 14, 2010

Mark123456, You bought a product with a warranty that EXPIRED. Repair it or buy new! Quit trying to be american and get something for nothing. I guess your another person we're
    bailing out".

mark123456 Jul 14, 2010

Here is what the law cares about FACTS not your stupid opinion... Fact: Magnavox sold a TV that they knew was faulty. FACTS not some stupid opinion... I’m not here to cry about my TV I could care less but when I see the same problem happening to thousands of people then I would say this company is a bunch of frauds!!! i want other consumers to know that Philips Magnavox does not care about anything but getting your money then they leave the customer holding the bag.

mark123456 Jul 14, 2010

ok stealth pilot you’re a idiot I bet your one of the head jerks at Philips/Magnavox oh and you want proof do some research idiot oh wait that’s right were pretending you fly a plane that’s right we live in a pretend world with candy houses and chocolate rivers ... Do you see how ###ed this is getting once again show me facts I do not care about your opinion because I can see you’re full of opinions. FYI 60000 hours equals 6.84 years not 4 years you really need to get a calculator.

mark123456 Jul 14, 2010

below is some of the websites that are doing a class action lawsuit against magnavox for the defect they dont want to accept.

Resolved Magnavoxcant delete channels

I have inherited a magnavox 37MF231D/37, besides the well-known problems of the tv turning off randomly and having the trouble with the set powering on, I also have no manual and am having trouble deleting channels that the autoprogram has selected. Can anyone help me with this problem? The remote will not let me arrow-down to "preferred channels" and I don't know why. Also, live customer service won't help, I tried them and they had no answer.

Resolved Magnavoxmenu popup

I purchased a magnavox 50MF231D/37 plasma tv..the menu is constantly popping up, sometimes it gets so bad we just shut it off..
According to the phillips web site, all I need to to is a software upgrade, yet no matter how many times I attempt to download the update, (following the instructions step for step )it will not install the updates...and the menu popup seems to get more frequent and more annoying..Why won't the firmware update??
how do I fix this thing???

Resolved Magnavox50MF231D

We purchased a 50" Magnavox Plasma TV in December of '07. Like all of the other complaints about this model, it shuts off immediately once it's turned on or you can't turn it on without unplugging and plugging it back in multiple times. Well, it finally decided to not come back on at all now. So, being the computer savvy people that we are, we read the complaints and the reviews and we removed the power supply. We then went on line to attempt to order the power supply, and guess what?...You can't find it ANYWHERE!! Not even a compatible one! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! It's almost like they INTENTIONALLY manufactured this television with this component so that when it does go out-AND IT WILL-that you have to purchase a new T.V. So, my complaint is with the company producing this product and I want everyone to know that I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!

Resolved Magnavoxdefective TV

I bought the Magnavox 32MF231D/37 in 6-06 and just like everyone
else started experiencing random problems with the TV almost immediately. While the picture stayed on, the sound mutes whenever it feels like it. I was told this was a satellite issue although no one else in my condo has experienced this.
Now the menu screen appears and nothing I have tried will eliminate the screen for more than a few seconds at a time.
After reading all the complaints, I see I am screwed and might as well
toss it out and buy another TV. I will be sure to pass on to everyone I
know what a terrible product Magnavox produces.

Resolved MagnavoxDefective

The television will shut off by itself. At times it won't cut off by using the remote or trying to turn it off manually. She is having to actually unplug the television from the outlet. We have read several complaints involving this and have been looking this televisioin up. We would recommend not buying a Magnavox product. It is a defective product from the manufacturing plant and magnavox doesn't stand behind their product and customer support is rude and will not acknowledge a recall but if you google this you will see these problems occuring. We are looking at putting a class action lawsuit into motion and looking for people to join. Her name is Leona Frank at address and phone number above.

• Ju
    Judith varcie Aug 17, 2011

Whoever posted the phone number it is incorrect. I would like to get in touch with you. I have the same problem with my Manavox and have had it in service three times and now the TV will not turn on. It has allways been the same problem. The last two times I had to box it up and take it to UPS and send it to them. Iam a 70 year old women and this has been very difficult for me. My warranty is over so I guess I just throw it out. I will never buy another Manavox.

Judy

• Ju
    Judith varcie Aug 17, 2011

I already posted my comment

Resolved MagnavoxScreen

We purchased a Magnavox 42MF230A/37 a couple of years ago. The begining of this year, we started getting a color band on top and we would turn the TV off for a couple of minutes and it would be okay for awhile. We noticed this more frequently and then after awhile the screen went blank, we would have sound but no picture. We took it to a reputable repair shop and they said that they are unable to get parts. I called Customer Service and all they gave me was an address for me to send a written complaint. We have several tv's in our home (some are 15 years old) and we have never had to have them repaired. All I want is for Magnavox to step up to plate and address all of these complaints that are on this website.

• Ro
    robo_geek Apr 06, 2009

37" HD LCD-TV<br />
    <br />
    First one lasted two days, then died with burning smell. This, in life, is what is called a 'clue'. I should have spent the extra $150 for the Sony or Panasonic, or samsung, sharp...<br />
    <br />
    New one seemed fine for about a year. Has two software bugs...there are two channels with weird numbers you cannot delete. Numbers like 87.65532 (not your normal qam channel number). Firmware reset/update did not help. Also the TV refuses to sleep and/or wake up if these is a signal on the HDMI port (satellite box).<br />
    <br />
    Two weeks ago, sound started getting hissy, and you can hear a capacitor singing. <br />
    <br />
    Now the sound has stopped working altogether (alas, the capacitor sings no more). <br />
    <br />
    Don't waste your money on Magnavox junk.

• Bd
    bds912 Jan 21, 2010

Just want to update from a previous complaint, My problem was satisfactorily taken care of by Magnavox. They replaced all the parts for free, even though I was 1 month past the warranty. However, it did take about 2 months to get fixed and I had to pay $90 to the repair Co. Magnavox also payed for the labor which was only supposed to be a 3 month warranty. My TV is a 52"LCD. I will say that it did take several letters and phone calls and that I talked to them politely, (very hard to do!), They replaced everything on the TV before they got it fixed right, so I basically have a new TV, (The parts and labor would have cost me more than what I paid for the TV...$1700+ tax). When its working the TV has 1 of the best pictures I've seen. I have to wonder though, the new TV only lasted 13 months, How long will the "new" repaired 1 last?? Its been another 8 months now, if it goes again I know they wont pay. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

• Jc
    Jcooks1 May 18, 2011

I bought a Magnavox Blu ray Player on Ebay. The product works perfectly but I can only stream VUDU on it. Nowhere on the box does it say that you can only use VUDU and not Netflix. I have a subscription to Netflix and had I known that I could only use VUDU i would have never bought it. I called Magnavox and asked them to exchange it for a product that plays Netflix and they refused. It is a scam between 2 companies to make you use a crappy product. VUDU is a rip off and the only way they get customers is by forcing people to use their product because you have no options. Magnavox will not stand behind their product.

Resolved MagnavoxDO NOT BUY MAGNAVOX

After 20 months and not a great deal of use, my 42" Magnavox HDTV (42mf230a) screen is now blank. It has worked great until one day the screen had a shower of multicolered pixels then just went blank. "Color Card" has gone out? I would like to know why the new expensive TV's that are supposed to be great are bult with Sh*^#y parts. The saddest thing is that the company knows of this problem, because they sent us a letter to buy an extended warrenty because they stated that the screen going out is likley to happen! Its all a sham.

mark123456 Jul 14, 2010

there is a lawsuit adressing this issue the same thing happened to me and most interesting philips/magnavox does not care. Do Not Buy Magnavox or Philips TV there all faulty

Resolved Magnavox3 little screws

Very loyal consumer of magnavox that will never buy another magnavox product as long as I live! Brand new 32" LCD TV bought from best buy today but 3 little screws that bolt TV to stand aren't in box. So they want me to fax in proof of purchase for them to send them to me. Why? I can understand for a remote control but tiny screws that cost them not even a dollar! And I just spent 400 for 1 TV not including my surround sound and other flat screen and digital converter box. So my recent purchase resides on my loveseat until I get my screws or maybe I will take it back and get a vizio. Magnavox must be doing really well during this recession to not need my hard earned 400.

Magnavox37& LCD Television Not Working

03/07/09 I purchased a Magnavox LCD 37 HDTV in Dec. of 2006 from Sears in Houston Texas. The model # is: 37MF231D/37. On the morning of June 12th, 2008 I turned the TV on and got no picture or sound only a red blinking light for about 5 minutes and then the TV turned on. I unplugged it from the wall for about 10 minutes, plugged it back in and got the same response. I called Magnavox customer care and explained everything. We attempted some routine troubleshooting which I had already done. Then she informed me that the TV was out of warranty. She suggested a repair shop VTS in Houston and said there was nothing else she could do. She gave me a reference # and the conversation ended. After taking the TV to the repair shop they told me that main circuit board had to be replaced which would cost $400.00. It's costing over half what I paid for the TV just to repair it. There's something that just doesn't add up with that.
Since that time I have read up on a lot of problems that other consumers who purchased the same or similar LCD TV's from Magnavox have experienced. Mostly all of these problems have occurred after the warranty expired and 2 years or less from purchase of the TV's. I feel that there is some type of defect in these types of TV's that Phillips is aware of. I called Phillips again today to ask to speak with someone in the complaints dept. I was informed that there is no complaint dept where they are, but gave me an address in Marietta, Georgia. Which after reading all the complaints on the internet I know that won’t accomplish any good. I have since then, e-mailed my complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I am awaiting their reply. I think more people should complain to them, maybe something will get done.

I am very disappointed in Philips products with the slow service on their products. I will probably never again buy any Philips or Magnavox product in the future or recommend to anyone. I am looking at the option of getting my money refunded by Philips for the TV or will be filing a small claims suit at the local court for the damages and waste of my time.

Resolved MagnavoxWarranty & Repair

Magnavox warranty is worthless and the service people they use are just as worthless. For the chicagoland area only two service places are given and they are both rip offs. They have to make a dianogstic call and charge $129.00 to $150.00 for that and then order the part and charge for the return visit. The two service places are Rex TV in Worth, IL and A & G in Oak Lawn. And they both know if the TV is under warranty you will more than likely use them if you want your TV fixed and stick it to Magnavox's customers. NOT I will go buy another TV before using either one of these rude jerks. The LCD Magnavox 42 inch right out of the box the sound cuts in and out, if you know what the problem is why not bring the part and fix the TV.

• Sn
    Snakeman Feb 27, 2010

I purchased the Magnavox model `DV220MW9 DVD/CD Player with VCR.
    Didn't even outlast the warranty!
    I didn't have it long before the DVD drawer stopped opening/closing.
    Wouldn't open with the remote, or by pushing the button on the front of the unit.
    Still had one of my DVD discs in it when it messed up.
    I took the top off, and got my disc out.
    Don't buy this product.
    You WILL regret it!

• Ka
    karen wiles Mar 08, 2010

I too purchased a 50" plasma tv from Home Depot in Wilmington, NC and have had the same problem everyone else is having...The tv took longer and longer to come on and after several days wouldn't come on at all...I have reviewed this website with over 50 other complaints with the exact same problem. When I called Magnavox, they directed me to a repair shop instead of telling me about the problem and how to have it fixed. I didn't find this on the internet until I had gone out and purchased another tv. A case of too little, too late I guess.

• Jc
    Jchery Mar 16, 2010

CLASS ACTION SUIT!!!

• Sh
    Shari_1418 Apr 11, 2011

I purchased a Magnavox television with a model # of 51mp392h/17 less than 5 years ago. I have had nothing but problems with it and have spent over $800 in repairs. I have called customer service and there is nothing that they can do for me. I even asked to speak with a manager and they stated that it was not going to happen, that there was nothing that they were going to do for me. I was out of luck and to go buy another TV. This is the worst customer service experience that I have ever had. They were very rude and unhelpful. I WILL NOT ever purchase another Phillips/Magnavox product ever again, nor will I recommend anyone to either.

• Bi
    Bikerbill Aug 18, 2012

I brought a 40 inch LCD TV in Oct 2011. Last week the TV power went out. Less than 10 months and Magnavox wants $110.00 to repair the power board.I will never purchase another TV from them. By the way...I also purchased an extended warranty (3yrs) which I feel was a waste!

MagnavoxShuts off for no reason

I bought a magnavox 27" tv about 4 months ago. All the sudden, ill be watching tv, and the damn thing will just shut off. Ill turn it on, then it will just shut off again. Some times it will stay on for 10 min, sometimes not even ten seconds. In the course of a minute, i will have to turn in back on about 6-7 times. I called magnavox, and they told me i would have to PAY to have someone fix it. Not only that, that i would have to lug the tv across town, the Pay for someone to fix my 4 month old tv. Magnavox sucks, im telling everyone. They are about to get some really really bad press. I'm going everywhere, consumer reports, consumer affairs, pretty much anywhere i can tell the public have horrible magnavox is. Oh yea, and i will never buy anything philips either.

• Ka
    Kathy Kohout Aug 31, 2017

Magnavox makes the worst TV's out there. I bought a new one from Sam's Club. After only 2 months, I started to see grey splotches on the screen. I cleaned the screen, unplugged the TV to let it reset, tried different inputs to see if it was the signal or the TV, everything. It obviously was the TV. So I went to their website to contact them about this obvious defect in their workmanship. They gave me a local repair place to contact about repairs. I tried calling that place several times and never got voicemail or an answer. I called Magnavox back for a different place. They gave me another place to contact. By the time I actually talked to a person there, they told me I needed an authorization number to get it fixed. So I called Magnavox back to get that number and then because this all took so long, they said it was now out of warranty. After demanding to talk to a supervisor, I got my number, took it to their authorized repair center where the guy looked at me and said; "why are you bringing such a small TV to me? We never repair these." I told him I was only doing what Magnavox told me, so he checked it out. Two weeks later after several calls to him and never being able to get ahold of him, he said he couldn't fix it. Again I called Magnavox and went through the whole "it's not under warranty" fight. Their solution was to send me a box to return the TV to them and they would do something about it. They also said it was going to take 4 weeks to get resolved. I only have 1 TV! I live alone. Why do I need more than 1 TV? So I would have to be without a TV for 4 weeks while they take their sweet time deciding what to do with their crap. They sent me the box to return the defective TV to them and I chucked it in the garbage. I bought an LG TV and now just tell everyone how much Magnavox sucks. Nothing makes me happier than to see someone at the store looking at a Magnavox TV and I walk up behind them and tell them they're the worst TV manufacturer on the planet. They are better off staring at a blank wall than buy that TV.

magnavox1 Sep 19, 2018

formats dvds that wont play on other dvd players
    fails to format dvds entirely
    remote is sluggisj