Menu
Public Storage
reviews & complaints

Public Storage
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

235 complaints
18 resolved 217 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Public Storage. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
6:42 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Do not buy into there $1.00 for first month!!! I got a huge unit, for at the start $199.00 a month... A year latter, or just over that, im now being charged $320.00 a month!!! Thats way higher then any cost of living increases... They constantly give you 30 days notices there raising your resnt its crazy, been raised over $130.00, well so much for that...

4:30 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I used the services of the company www.publicstoragereviews.com. I paid money for the storage, but these jerks started to take larger sum from me. They haven’t explained for what and they haven’t warned me that the price has been changed. I was disappointed, ‘coz it seemed like scam. I wonder if there are people, who faced the same problem? I really need help or any useful advice. Please, post your comments and ideas. Thanks.

2:42 pm EDT

Public Storage - poor business practices/

I too am frustrated with Public Storage. I've been a customer since 2010. I was pressured and told that I had to carry insurance. I was also told that I had to purchase their locks. My unit doors did not go all the way to the ground so water came in every time it rained. They eventually ended up replacing the doors but charged me for new locks. My unit was also broken into and no one seemed to care. They said since their facility was gated they weren't responsible and their insurance didn't cover anything. Including damage to the doors. I even had to purchase yet ANOTHER new lock. I filed a police report but the police officer even said nothing ever happens in these cases and even said it was probably an inside job. My rent has gone up drastically every year to the sum of a 45%+ over 4 years. There has to be something we can do to fight this. I am moving my stuff at the end of the month after yet another increase was just applied to my account. Public Storage is a horrible company. They should not be allowed to take advantage of people this way. RUN far away from this company!

D
9:11 am EDT

Public Storage - john lewis, district manager

I have been a customer of Public Storage for many many years. Personally and
Professionally, I have paid Public Storage over $80, 000. Public Storage is very aware my Son has been fighting Cancer since October, 2013. One of my units has a
balance due of $206.78, today, Monday, March 23, 2015. Due to my Son passing away, Sunday, March 23, 2015, I am unable to pay the amount of $206.78. My assistant notified John Lewis, District Manager, Sunday, March 22, 2015 per "text messages 9 times" to no avail ! Monday, March 23, 2015, she notified John Lewis,
District Manager, "5 more times" to no avail ! A volunteer delivered a typed letter to
Public Storage, Monday, March 23, 2015 regarding the status and confirming the $206.78 would be paid no later than Saturday, March 28, 2015. I need every penny
for my Sons Funeral. John Lewis NEVER called, until "5-Minutes" before the Auction, today, Monday, March 23, 2015 and yelled at me that he was going to "AUCTION" my personal storage for the amount of $206.78! I am so heart broken. I just want to give up!

N
3:36 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The many complaints of high-pressure sales tactics regarding insurance, padlocks, inadequate security, uncleanliness and other egregious practices by Public Storage are true. But when it comes to a class action, the below information will astonish you. This is an open letter to the employees of Public Storage as mentioned below. I have directly emailed...

12:57 pm EST

Public Storage - unethical fees

This company preys on people desperate for storage space when moving. They charge an excess amount because they can. They add extra fees, require the purchase of a 'special' lock and increase rental fees without notice! Upon move out they charge for the entire month if you move out after the 6th of the month! What other company gets away with these unethical and morally wrong policies?

F
9:40 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The Brits have a pejorative term for a person or company that engages in cunning and sneaky behavior that is "technically within the rules of the law but borders on being unethical." It is called "sharp practices." The self storage company known as Public Storage meets this criteria hands down. I pay all of our bills online through our bank. The bank...

N
2:09 pm EDT

Public Storage - no one helped me and I haven't received code

I subscribed for the services and storage from the website www.publicstoragereviews.com. I needed to enter the 5 digit code, but no one provided me it. I sent multiple emails to them, but no one replied. I still didn’t get how their website worked. And it was really disappointing that no one replied and helped me. I don’t recommend this website. Please, post comments about your experience on this website and do you get any help from these people.

2:46 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Since the company purchased Shurgard, the profits have gone up in direct proportion to the rent increases, which are the maximum allowed. The service has gone down in the same period. They could argue that the increases are due to Shurgard charging below market rates, but it can also be argued that the market rates are being manipulated by this monopoly.

Public Storage - excessive rent increases

It appears to be the consistent business practice of Public Storage, headquartered in California, to leverage rent increases against their customers once they have their customers belongings as ransom against objections or protests against outlandish rental increases. It appears that it is a business approach that is practiced nationally by this business, which also is exempt by its incorporation status from paying federal income taxes.

2 comments
V
Jan 12, 2015 10:06 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Each state has specific self-storage laws and ALL storage unit companies MUST follow them to a T or be liable for their actions. See http://www.storagetreasures.com/general-information/state-lien-laws/[state name].

Apr 15, 2015 5:23 pm EDT

My husband and I rented a unit over one year ago. We were sent a letter they were raising our rental rate $50.00 and will do so every 6 months. We are paying for the highest price for the rental unit due to it's size. The last time I paid on this unit was by check. They said the funds were not there and our bank said that check never came through the bank. They are charging us for 2 months late fees and a return check charge. Talk to people at location of unit and they said it was out of their hands I need to talk to customer service because California handles that!

E
2:05 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had a 10' X 20' unit from about October, 2010 to August, 2012. They illegally auctioned my unit on 8/30/2012. It was illegal because they never sent me any notice (postcards, registered or certified letters, etc.) to let me know they were doing it. They are now trying to play hardball and not settle with me-they think that by not responding I'll go away...

E
3:25 pm EST

Public Storage - unlawful unit auction

Public storage of alexandria, va unlawfully auctioned off my storage unit last year. They failed to comply with a virginia self-storage law that says a company must notify a storage unit tenant in writing, with a registered or certified letter of the impending auction even after sending postcard notification via regular mail. If you have been the victim of a shady auction practice in your state, google "self-storage laws in [your state] for detailed information on that state's requirements. If your company did not follow that state's law, you should consult an attorney and see if there are any class-action lawsuits in that state.

The following are links to legal proceedings around the country, so do your homework-they will be on the hook for the value of the contents of your unit if you act quickly:

Also check out [redacted].com for more complaints against public storage or your storage company...

2:07 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This particular storage facility is a dump. Its dirty, they never clean the bathroom or sweep the floors. There are roaches and rats moving from one storage container to the next. They don't hire female workers, its only men there. I think I saw a girl sweeping the hallways once. They only allow customers to use the men's bathroom and keep the female...

R
4:27 pm EDT

Public Storage - takes advantage of existing customer with large rate increases

Public Storage does not care about long term customers. Typically, when you rent something long term and are a good customer (always pay on time, never cause any problems), the renting company will give you a good deal and will normally not raise the rent every year.

Well, it seems that public storage only cares about making money. I have been renting a storage unit for more than 6 years and the rent has gone up by more than 10% EVERY year. I called the customer service line and they say that my rental rate is below the market rate so they will not allow the rate to remain the same. (no courtesy holding of the rate or good will)

The company is taking advantage of the fact that it is not easy to switch storage unit providers. They probably have analyzed their historical data and know that people remain in units for so many years and don't move out. Customers (such as myself) are between a rock in a hard place ... do I take hours/days out of my life, rent a moving truck, and put my belongings in a different storage company's unit nearby so I can save $25 a month? Probably not ... and Public Storage knows this so what they are doing is borderline criminal.

I think people should unite and either petition for laws to protect storage unit consumers .. or .. file some sort of class action suit.

There should be a maximum that rent can increase every year ... something under 5% ... or something based on inflation or treasury bonds.

Update by Rex Remes
Apr 09, 2014 11:25 am EDT

I agree 100%. I have a storage unit with Public Storage in Virginia also. And they have raised the rent every year around 10% (I have had the unit for 7 years! ... I never intended for it to be that long, but that is another story). They also say that the new rate is below the market rate.

How can inflation be average about 2% over the last year but the rental rate has gone up 10% per year?

Public Storage is taking advantage of its customers. They know it is super inconvenient to change storage locations so they keep raising their rates after people move in ... which of course re-sets the market rate and the whole cycle starts over again the next year.

Definitely should be some legal or legislative action regarding this. I am surprised that current consumer protection laws do not cover this.

2 comments
Sep 21, 2015 10:13 am EDT

I completely agree! I haven't had the unit a year yet and the rent was increased by $32 or 18%. I signed the contract to have the unit at a price and expected that this would be the price for a minimum of a year. Laws need to be put in place restricting the maximum increase and also limiting the increase to an annual basis. Class action lawsuit or something needed.

T
Jun 20, 2014 11:24 am EDT

I absolutely agree. They reel you in with $1 a month initiation fee then over the course of years your rent becomes hundreds of dollars. For example, for the first 3 months of my thus far 3 year lease I pain $25. Now, I pay $200 a month. They insidiously increase the rent without notice- you just get a bill with increased amounts every 6 months or so.
Additionally they require insurance for your belonging while in their storage facility which is yet another way they get to charge you more.
I plan to get my item out ASAP, write a letter to their company directors and disperse this warning to anyone who is thinking of storage with Public storage.
Thank you.

V
1:13 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Have been renting a storage unit from them for 2.5 years. Rent has increased by 25% during that time. Also purchased insurance through Willis, the company they promote when you sign up with them. It had been four months since visited the unit and as soon as we walked in we noticed boxes ripped open and clothes missing. We immediately reported it to the...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I began renting storage unit B254 In April 2009 from Public Storage located at 1155 Belvedere Road, 33405. I visited the unit on 16 August 2012 to organize and remove items and move out as I had planned relocation from the area. At that time, I arrived to the unit, to find locks intact, but my property missing. I immediately notified police and property...

S
1:33 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Water damage thru entire unit @ 2109 Ogden Ave, Lisle, IL Public Storage. Water coming thru the roof when raining, water coming thru cinder block walls even when its not raining, water seeping up thru the concrete floors all the time. Entire contents of boxes, furniture and everything inside the unit was wet & moldy. Had to be thrown out at my expense! I...

G
8:03 am EDT

Public Storage - my storage unit

Me & my husband had a storage unit with public storage for over 2 yrs We called them to pay our payment they tell us they sold out things & they mailed us 3 letters. Ok the thing is they mailed it to the wrong address Knowing they had our new 1 I'm looking at 3 letters they have sent 2 us. They owe us money from the unit it's been 2 weeks can't get any 1 to call us back. They did us wrong I'm calling a lawyer & getting ahold of the BBB They should be put out of buisness They are rude & don't take the right steps in tryin to contact someone They will know they should NOT b aloud 2 run it any longer

1 comment
T
May 18, 2012 10:19 pm EDT

It takes missing months of payments to have your items sold out of your unit. Since you were not paying your rent didnt it occur to you that this might happen? Its not like you missed one payment and they sold your things.

F
9:31 pm EDT

Public Storage - scam

I rented out a 10×10 unit (size big enough for a two bedroom apartment) from public storage on 1414 S. Wabash on Oct 31, 2009. I put all my belongings in there thinking that my things would be safe. I paid on time every month. On Feb 6, 2010 I went into Public Storage to make a payment and decided to check on my belongings to make sure everything was Okay and which it was. The next month Mar 6, 2010, I went into Public Storage to make a payment and needed to get some things out of my rental space. So when I went to open the door I noticed that I could not turn my key. So I went to the employee on duty and asked him if there was a reason to why my key was no working. So he checked the system and said ” well you haven’t paid late so we wouldn’t have any reason to change the locks”. So we went to my rental space and he tried the key as well and it still did not work. So he told me that i will have to have the locks changed and that they can change the locks but I would have to pay for a new lock (which I thought was crazy because the locks shouldn’t have been changed in the first place). He told me that his supervisor Mike Cook had to change them but he will not be in until a couple week later, but he will call him and see if he could come in sooner then that. So I told him okay just have him change the locks. So the employee called me the next day saying that his supervisor would be in to change the locks and to come in t pick up the keys, I told him okay I will be in as soon as I get off work. He called me back maybe 30 minutes later and told me that they came down to change the locks and that there was NOTHING in the unit. Some one broke into my unit STOLE EVERYTHING and changed the locks. So I left work and came to Public Storage and my things were GONE! I filed a police report and file a claim with the insurance me run around, I wanted to review the cameras and they have not cooperating with me. I’m starting to believe this was an INSIDE job. I just want Public Storage to know that this is absolutely unacceptable and I am going to fight this all the way to the end. You can not just so or allow someone things to be stolen and think that it okay. NO IT’S NOT.

G
6:52 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recently called the 800 number for support and facility locations in Austin. I explained to them the size and reason why I would need the storage unit. I was storing my wave runner which sits on a tandem trailer with a 8.5 foot width. I went to the rental location in south Austin and meet with the property agent who showed me the 10'X15' unit. I asked him...

Public Storage contacts