Protect Americaprotect america alarm and monitoring - want to cancel

We sold our home in June of 2018 and have been trying to cancel the Protect American contract since then. We were told there is a three year contract, however, it is difficult to believe that there is no clause to cancel for a home sale. Our new home already had an alarm built in so we have been paying Protect America monthly for nothing. The first time we were told we need to cancel three months prior to the renewal date. I tried to call today which is about two months prior and was told I need to call back again 30 days prior to cancel. They won't just schedule the cancellation or send me any paperwork so that I can fill it out now to ensure it is cancelled. I asked to speak to the cancellation department and was told that I could not be forwarded to them unless it was 30 days prior. This is just bad business practices as I am sure they are hoping you miss the 30 days and are stuck with their contract for another three years. I have seen MANY complaints and know that I am not the only one having these issues. I have even continued to pay for an alarm I don't even have for 16 months, a total of $501.76 and am trying to cancel a contract for a system that I do not use, it should not be this difficult.

Ja