Pimsleur ApproachDeceptive, Misleading

T

I saw a $9.95 edal on a daily sale website for two language CDs from Pimsleur. When I clicked on it, I was re-directed to the company website. I ordered the $9.95 deal and thought I was done with it. I received what I ordered, then sometime later (due to the second shipment being lost and then found by the post office) I received a high-dollar language course that I did not order. Pimsleur uses the $9.95 deal to lure unsuspecting consumers into a "free trial" program for their expensive language course. By purchasing the $9.95 deal, one os automatially enrolled in the free trial (30-days). The enrollment in the high-dolalr course is poorly indicated on their website and can be eassily overlooked. Pimsleur had already debited the first insallment for the larger course from my card. I called the company and cancelled the program, mailing their course back to them. Now waiting to see if they indeed return my money. Beware of this company and anything they try to sell. They are misleading and deceptive.

• Je
    Jeane1 Apr 22, 2013

I felt being totally cheated today. I placed the first order of the basic Pimsleur in December last year and went out of the country until today. What I got for today was 2 boxes containing Gold Level 1 and 2 having sent to me WITHOUT my acknowledgement and of course, my card was charged $256.
    I was angry because they obviously tried to hide the fact that every 30 days, there would be a new trial being sent to you and if you're not there to open and carefully read thoroughly, you'll be in trouble!
    And ridiculously how they made it so easily to put the products in your hand when it is really hard for the return option. Call to that number is the only way. Waited for 10 mins to talk to a representative. Then you'd hear the instruction for the address, and the thing call RMA No. which is a series of letter and number and dashes. This whole thing can easily be informed and done online. Plus the phone connection is bad!
    And you'll have to send the product back within 10days after the RMA No. is issued!
    I'd definitely block them from future automatic charge!
    I haven't tried a minute in the CDs and dont know how good this method is, , but this scam from the product comapny already pissed me off!
    And I hope these reviews should be spread so the customers can stay away from this company, or they will have to change their customer care policy! Simply ridiculous!

• Lo
    Louis Tyan Feb 17, 2013

Pimsleur Approach is a sleazy company that sends out DOZENS of spam email per day. Despite having 'opted out' numerous times their spam pours in by the dozens every day. If this company chooses to advertise their company in this way I can only imagine how they run their operations. I have no doubt that this company is a scam and a fraud and from the volume of complaints I see about it across the internet it should be avoided at all costs. Hopefully the FTC will step in soon and shut this scam and fraud of a company down for good!

• Tr
    trace of trash Dec 31, 2012

If you're under the impression that you've received something without ordering.. typically you open the package and see what's inside.. You don't carelessly throw it in the garage and hope that it was free. NOTHING is free.. and if you pay $9.95 for the quick and simple.. why on earth would you receive 5 times the material for free?..

Josip P. Aug 28, 2012

Hunnisan, it's been almost two months since you posted so I don't know how you fared since then, but I also ordered the sample CD only moments before coming across this complaint board. I called [protected] to opt out of future shipments, although the CD is on its way. Also, an email from the company said that information on how to cancel future shipments can be found in the "Quick and Simple" guide contained in the package. I'll post again if I have any problems with them, or if I'm satisfied that I won't be getting any unsolicited packages. Either way, it's a terrible business practice!

• Hu
    hunnisan Jun 24, 2012

I'm worried. Unbelievably, I read this scam/alert section after I placed an order for the Spanish edition @$9.95! I want to cancel. How? Help!

• I called them and could not get them to rescind the $138.24 that they had already charged me. They were resolute but not cordial. I turned the matter over to my credit card company. They did agree to send me a free UPS return label but said it will take 4 days to get here. I do not, as yet, know if they will follow through on this.

• Ks
    K.Stu Jun 11, 2012

I recently experienced this same thing. Had ordered the intro discs for a friend that was going overseas- thought it would be a cool gift. When I recieved the 2nd shipment I was very surprised - had no idea I was signing up for a $256 program. I am extremely disappointed in how this company deceives and takes advantage of customers. I will never order from this company again and will caution all those I know against it as well.

John_5862 Jun 08, 2012

I almost ordered this until I read the fine print and saw the statement about the "advanced" courses that were going to be automatically sent to me and being billed 4 payments of $65 each for them. That stopped me right in my tracks.

• Ph
    philcr Jun 05, 2012

darn. i got sucked in, and am now in collections. not the first time i've been duped. i'm a sucker.

insidejoe May 26, 2012

if you fall for this scam there's a few solutions. when you call in to 'customer service' their call center answerers are instructed to give refunds and shipping labels to anyone who magic words them. magic words are when you tell them you will call the bbb or attorney general. you can also say you returned the tapes to sender if you want to keep it, they will have to take your word for it. you can also say you never received the cd's. best practice is to use a magic word against them you will get your $250 back and a shipping label. if they dont give you a label request a supervisor.

• Ks
    KSLassie May 13, 2012

Did you try to call their toll free number, or contact the online help center? I called them, only waited on hold for about 4 minutes, and talked with a very cordial person who put a hold on any future shipments and answered all my questions. I also made it very clear that I would stop payment on any "unsolicited" product that was shipped to me without my consent. Try this and be friendly but firm in what you are asking from them. IF I have any more future input, or run into problems, I will be back to post them here. Barbara F.

• Sc
    scam victum May 13, 2012

I agree and feel very bad for these people ripped off by the language CDs. I just received a email for the special and fortunately I already learned my lesson from a previous experience so I immediately checked for complaints. I had the same situation as the person who had to change his bank card, only with a certain phone service, computer type phone, and the same problem with customer service and I had to change my credit card number. The person who said read the terms of agreement, it seems to me that the company is not following their own terms of agreement, exactly the same thing that happened to me, and I did read the terms of agreement. My advice is to always check web sites for complaints before you enter into the agreement, which the company doesn't honor, something I learned the hard way with the so called wonderful computer phone. If you ever think of getting this phone, please forget about it. A scam is a scam and both of these are huge scams. It's a disgrace and a testament of the dishonesty, lack of caring and greed of some people.

• Bi
    Big mammaGirl May 11, 2012

Total scam. Their FREE number is [protected]
    Call them free and let what POS they are. They send spam emails and rip off the poor folks that actually buy something. Block your number and give them a call y'all!!

• Lm
    lmetter Apr 26, 2012

i ordered a $9.95 course which they sent. two weeks later they shipped me a Deluxe Gold Edition more advanced course formwhich they expected $200+, and said i would receive one automatically each month and be billed for it! i enclosed a letter explaining why i did NOT want any Deluxe Gold Editions, and sent the box back certified mail, return receipt requested. i never received the signed receipt. nor was i billed that i can track down. BUT today i got another one! then i found several websites like this one detailing their fraudulent shipments etc. how do i make them acknowledge the returns and stop sending them to me?? if anyone can provide any help or a contact who would help me, i would be very grateful.

• Ro
    Rory S Cheney Apr 25, 2012

0 mins ago by Rory S Cheney 0 Votes
    I had ordered the free sample for 9.95, Then I got a package in the mail and charged 129.00. I called you up and canceled the rest I was just charged 64.00 more on my account. I need help to get this straighend out. Thank you. My phone number is70 995-0104 my name is Rory S Cheney

• Ro
    Rory S Cheney Apr 25, 2012

I had ordered the free sample for 9.95, Then I got a package in the mail and charged 129.00. I called you up and canceled the rest I was just charged 64.00 more on my account. I need help to get this straighend out. Thank you. My phone number is [protected] my name is Rory S Cheney

• Un
    Unhappy Fred Apr 24, 2012

If this company were honest, it would warn you in large print that you are about to sign up for a $256.00 product, and if you don't send the product back at your own expense, you will owe the money. But they don't market the product as a $256.00 product with a money back guarantee; they market it as a $9.95 dollar product that is too good to pass up.

I hate this company.

• Mi
    millsm43 Apr 22, 2012

The Pimsleur program is a good program by Simon and Schuster, but Pimsleur approach is a re-seller and is not good. I bought this program and paid for the first set willingly. When they sent me the second set I called them and returned it. They kept trying to get me to keep but I was firm in my decision. Do your homework whenever you order online. Always read the fine print in the TOS or policy link. If you do not see a terms of service or policy link then stay away from them. A little common sense goes a long ways.

• Vw
    vwbug405 Apr 11, 2012

I purchased the introductory CDs about 3 years ago and had no issues with billing or unwanted product. I hate to hear that people have had issues. I used it before my trip to visit my foreign in-laws and it helped me to communicate on a basic level but don't think you'll be reading and understanding at a fluent level in 10 days. That is a ridiculous assumption. Otherwise, I've had no issues.

• Mp
    mpayne31 Apr 05, 2012

I purchased the Introductory $10 version of the language lessons about a month ago and have not received anything else. I'll update this site if I do.

Jann from Alaska Mar 29, 2012

I, too, have had the same misleading advertisement scam get the best of me. I just recently received the second shipment, which I did not want or order and now must deal with sending it back in a timely fashion (at my expense). After checking with my charge card account, a fee had not yet been assessed, but that may soon change. I am pleased with the initial discs received and the instruction given, but this attempt to lure in customers as the previous poster mentioned is both deceptive and inexcusable behavior from a reputable company...very disappointed. For that reason alone, would not order from this company again and would not recommend it to others.

• Lo
    Lookinglass Mar 26, 2012

I have purchased from this company, and have recommended friends purchase also; the product I received was just as it was advertised, as were the three I recommended... Now that's not to say I was able to get those results, but as far as the company goes they were professorial and polite.

• Dr
    drtx Mar 18, 2012

similar to my situation. I received the large box and did not want it, so it was marked return to sender and given to post office. my credit card was charged $65 twice a week apart and then a second package came and i took the same action. Again my card was charged twice for $65 each. My letter to them was not answered and my calls never got through. This is an inferior program to start with. When I went to Citi card, they refused to reverse the charges as the company insisted they had been ordered. The result is they had both the product and my $260. Stay away from them.

• Ir
    Irinairina Mar 16, 2012

Well, thank you so much for information, bcs., I thought about use their offer, but now I would like to ask everybody, did you expect something better for $9. What are you, people think about...?

• Sq
    squalid Mar 15, 2012

I ordered an introductory CD for $9.95 then they sent me a huge box of lesson CDs that I did not order and charged me $65.00 for them. I called them to resolve the matter and they refused to refund me. The rep on the phone kept trying to sell me more discs. I had to get a new banking card so they would stop charging me.

• Sc
    Scam companies suck! Mar 09, 2012

And they never will. I recommend you contacting the bbb or your attorney general as well as the Pennsylvania attorney general. This tactic is called bait and switch and is illegal. I would also recommend that you call Simon and Schuster who are the publishers of Pimsleur. They get your cc information and start charging you for things you did not order.

• Rm
    RM Sahagun Feb 21, 2012

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!! I REPEAT DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! They will rip you off look at their home page and it tells you that for 9.95 you will get the following:
    "• FREE SHIPPING (ships Next Business Day)
    • Full 30-day money-back guarantee (just in case)
    • 8 fluency-oriented language lessons on 4 CDs
    • Entry in the Pimsleur Rapid Fluency Purchase Program
    • Learn from a Native on CD audio, iPod or MP3
    This is the worst company I have ever worked with. The customer service rep (an older lady sounding individual, woes horribly rude, even yelling at me over the phone at times. When you go to order on the next page it has the same information as the first page, which one believes to be an honest representation of the first page---that is the same information and deal. Therefore, one orders believing one will get the special rate deal. But this IS NOT THE CASE THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF AND FURTHER IN A MOMENT OF HEATED ANGER THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REP JUST SAID I AM SENDING YOU TO COLLECTIONS. HAVE A GOOD DAY. IS THIS THE TYPE OF COMPANY YOU WANT TO DO SERVICE WITH? NEVER!!! A GOOD SOLID HONEST BUSINESS ALWAYS TREATS THEIR CUSTOMERS WITH RESPECT AND SEEKS TO GAIN THIER LOYALTY. Pimsleur Approach NEVER DID ANY OF THIS.

• Pe
    Peyton at Delphi Dec 29, 2011

I agree. I fell for the same hidden "Free trial". I'm working with them now to return the items, but I'll also be watching my credit card bills like a hawk!

Inou Dec 12, 2011

The Pimsleur Approach program is not a scam or fraudulent. Most of these comments don't even comment on the product itself, just issues people had with shipping, billing and things of the sort. If you want to comment on problems with that then there should be a separate topic based solely on that. I find it very ridiculous how people order things off the Internet without reading the terms and conditions and the fine print. IT"S OFF THE INTERNET PEOPLE!! You should take the time read them for a lot of the things your purchase. If after reading the terms and conditions, it would have been known that after purchasing the offer you would later be charged for future shipments and so on and so on. Don't just order things off the Internet just according to how you perceive it to be without actually reading the terms and conditions and say that you have been deceived or it's a fraud. Also when it comes to ordering products on line from the Internet or by call and pay by phone, I don't recommend it since too many people have issues. Which is why I recommend just getting it from Amazon or eBay. You get what you ordered with a greatly slighter chance of shipping problems and you don't have to worry about automatic recurrent payments.

Now to talk about the product and my personal experience with it, the Pimsleur Approach is real deal. It does exactly what it says it does. When I began taking French in high school i quickly saw that it was not very effective when it actually being able to use and communicate in the language. At first I decided to take french since it was a language I needed to learn and was thrilled at the opportunity of being able to do so.
    Being Congolese, I come from a french speaking family and culture. Unfortunately, my parents never really spoke to me in french or in any of the other languages they knew. A reason for that would be for some reason there are some American doctors that tell foreigners not to teach their children their native language, because this is America they must speak English and too many languages being spoken at home will delay a child's development. And being foreign and seeing that this is being said by an AMERICAN doctor, they must be right therefore some comply.
    So within the first few months of class I could pick up the material a little better than the others because I was already accustomed to hearing french so some of the stuff just clicked. But, it still was not enough. So I began searching for language learning software and programs that could help me out. None of them seemed to be efficient. Finally I came across Pimsleur. After trying it I could actually start conversing with my dad in french. My classmates began to see that I was actually somewhat of a french speaker and my teacher even commented several times that I should be in French 2 not French 1. Also on my trip to visit family members in Congo, many of them were surprised on how well my french was for an American and with no accent. Here in the states I attend mass in french, and even the fellow french and french speaking church goers noticed how well I am able to speak in french. Pimsleur Approach is definitely a great program, and I would highly recommend it.

Inou Dec 12, 2011

maxdaucus Nov 03, 2011

write to the publisher, simon & schuster or pimsleur to complain about this reseller. They took care of me even when this reseller didn't.

• Pi
    PimsleurApproach Nov 03, 2011

Order a program to learn Spanish. Received it, tried it and didn't like kit. Then a week or 2 later received there GOLD addition form a trial. This was UNORDERED !!! Have tried several time to return it to the. No success. Have tried calling them No answer or on hold. SCAM SCAM

• Kr
    kriztian Sep 23, 2011

does anybody has a good comment about this program.. i was so ready to order it but now that i read all the reviews my hopes came down so somebody should sue the company for false advertisement...

• Do
    DoramaGirl Jun 11, 2011

It told me on the website BEFORE I placed an order for their 9.95 course that they would send out another course 3 months later and charge me 64 dollars every 4 months afterward. Did you read the site before buying stuff?

Mark Sutton Jun 01, 2011

Ordered a 9.95 language course, received the course. Then months later started receiving large CD compilations without ordering them. Then I received un authorized charges for 64.00 each. I called this company, they said I should have notified earlier, but i complained that I never received an invoice, I never received the terms to this deal, I NEVER Authorized nor ORDERED this product and demand a refund. I spent of 17 minutes of the phone to be told the there was no one that could help me. I then told this person to transfer me to his boss, I was then put on hold for long period of time. THIS IS A COMPLETE SCAM.

Leyla and her two daughters Mar 25, 2011

I agree completely! They have a sad excuse of a sales approach.

• G5
    G54 Mar 22, 2011

The same thing happened to me. Upon receiving my first shipment of basic Italian CDs and reading that I had been enrolled in the Gold program, I left a voicemail and sent an e-mail to Puimsleur to cancel my subscription to the Gold program. But the Gold "free trial" came anyway. What is more irritating is that the invoice enclosed in this first Gold shipment does not state the price keeping the Gold shipment would cost, does not provide instructions for return, and indicates that my credit card would be charged an unknown amount if I kept the "free trial". I hope I can clear this up with Pimsleuer, but am also planning to file a complaint with the State of Pennsylvania, since these ship from Philadelphia. Regardless of how good these programs may be, I will never buy another Pimsleur product.

Leyla and her two daughters Mar 09, 2011

I had the same problem with Italian CDs. It ended up costing me twice what I expected to pay. There should be a box or something that the consumer has to check before they start sending the additional lessons. It is very sneaky.

Leyla and her two daughters Mar 09, 2011

Misleading: I paid $9.95 for the basic Italian CDs. I did not see the little asterik that said I would then be enrolled in the Gold program. Shortly after receiving my basic CD - which I did not even have time to start - I got a package with the first Gold level Italian lesson. They write "Congradulation!" on the package. Congradulations for what? Being duped into receiving more than I wanted? It cost me $10.75 to return the package. So my basic Italian lessons cost me double what was advertised on their site. They should be upfront about the enrollment in the Gold learning program rather than sneak in a little symbol that is easy to miss.

• La
    lazure Jan 12, 2011

almost impossible to reach them!!! still trying!