Old Navycheck payment

I was to buy a purchase for 243.00. I asked to pay in a split payment. The clerk says OK. I wrote the first check for $143. She took it, then requested the 2nd check for $100. This check didnt go thru. She then says, we dont take split payment so youll have to write the check for the whole amount. I did, and that check was denied. I became embarrassed because I knew I had money in both of my accounts. She gave me back all three checks and I told her I would return with the cash money. Instead, I came home to get online to check my account. I couldnt believe it. The check for 143. had cleared my account and was showing up on my banks ledger. I immediately called the Old Navy manager, who assured me the charges would fall off before 12am. The next day, I checked and it the charge was still there. I called my bank and we did a three way call to Old Navy, which said that it was a mistake, but meanwhile I could not have my 143 back until after 15 business days. I couldnt believe this and this info came directly from Old Navy Headquarters. So, I have no clothes and no money. Any suggestions on what I can do-not to mention that this did throw off my checking account, because I did not expect for them to take money from a cancelled transaction. Thanks for any help. Mia in GA

• Ai
    Aidan Aug 17, 2009

Working in retail at the cash register at another store, I can at least explain what happened.

When a cashier runs a check through, it immediately deducts that amount from your account. That's why it's so important to always double-check what you're inputting (for the cashier, I mean). I can't tell you why they couldn't accept that second check, but that's why you had a $143 charge on your account. And as far as I know, for them to refund it, they have to handle it like they do credit transactions. Their people have to talk to your people, and get it all sorted out. Yeah, it will be a while, which does suck, since it wasn't your fault.

The only thing I can suggest to do would be to go in and speak to the manager, explain what happened, and ask if you could hold the clothes that you wanted until the money comes back to your account. I see no reason that they wouldn't accommodate you in that regard.

Other than that, just treat it as if you made a $143 purchase. You already expected to be making a purchase, right? Were those clothes a life-or-death necessity? Or could they wait? I'm sure you could even talk the manager into giving you the same item prices for them. After all, it was the store's fault, not yours.

• Ai
    Aidan Aug 17, 2009

Haha. Well yeah, maybe... But I thought maybe it should be addressed, since she had a question and no one else had answered it. I know I still check back if no one's answered me...

• Cm
    CM1112 Nov 08, 2010

Here's how to fix this. Stop shopping at Old Navy. They SUCK and so does their customer service. This won't be the last time you'll have an issue with them. There are so many other retailers that sell better quality clothing and customer service that would die to have your business. They don't care about you (the customer). They only care about your money.