Nikeshoes smell like cat urine

I am glad to see this forum, I have been battling this for a couple of years, at first I thought the kids left their shoes on the step and the cat urinated in them, we tried to wash it out with no success so we threw them away. Then a friend told us it was the glue that Nike uses because they have had the same problem. My wife is a loyal Nike customer and demands that our kids wear Nike shoes. We have a lot of Nike shoes and only some of them are stinkers. However the brand new pair of T90's I bought for soccer this year are horrible, after the first use they stunk to high heaven. I don't know what to do about it other than put my foot down and forbid any more Nike shoes to be purchased in my house. THESE SHOES SHOULD COME WITH A "DO NOT SWEAT OR GET WET" WARNING ON THE BOX.

• Nj
    njpLPC Apr 21, 2018

My son received a pair of Nike Vapor cleats for his birthday. They began smelling like cat urine shortly thereafter. We thought at first it was his feet sweating in the cleats. Then we thought cats urinated on them. We could never get rid of the odor and weren't sure of the reason they smelled like this.? Then I had a few minutes to google and see if anyone might know what to use to get the odor out of this kind of shoe. My first hit was this forum. Wow love the internet for finding answers for consumer products. What I dislike most about NIKE brand is that they do not allow coupons or other discounts to be used to purchase their products being sold by other retailers. This company wants to squeeze every penny they can out of consumers. I wonder if these cleats came from the NIKE factory in CHINA? No one should have to be stuck with spending $$$$ on footwear that smells like cat urine. Miles away from the playing fields, the whole team knows the player with the cat pee cleats is coming! Awful, just awful!

• Re
    Reginaoffries Dec 11, 2016

I believe it's the way they are made a thin sheet of fabric spray adhesive to rubber. Nothing to absorb sweat. I am a female 52 years old and the only shoes that I have foot odor with is Nike.

• La
    Lala land Jul 29, 2016

Do you have some gnarly toenails that need clipping?

• Fl
    florenceforward Jul 29, 2016

only worn not sure if I bought them at sears or the shoe company. nike footware for a short time when the material in the toe area started to tear on both sneakers

• Aq
    Aquivasha Jul 29, 2016

TopNikeAustralie.com sold me a pair of sneakers claiming that all of their products are official Nike stuff and there are no counterfeit items in their store. This is one big lie because a pair of sneakers that I’ve received is far from genuine. It was clearly counterfeit and was really badly made. I told that to customer support but they refused to give me refund saying that I’m mistaken, stupid idiots.

• Su
    sujitda Apr 07, 2016

My Nike Black Air Max 2014 Running Sports Shoes [protected]) has punctured and rendered useless just after a year of purchase. (DOP 25/2/1015) after 40/50 calendar days of normal use. The shoe is expensive and such early damage is not expected. I wrote to Myntra ( the online supplier) / Nike (the maker) customer care for a replacement/repair.
    It is really disappointing to note that neither Myntra nor Nike has any inclination to service my request and they are just waiting for me to get tired and stop pursuing. What is unfortunate is both have chosen to quote "contract condition of six months” as an excuse for not able to address my problem. I pointed out repeatedly that although the official token warranty is over, period after which the damage occurred is not only too short but also not expected from such an advertised high value product. I am sure seller is not expecting me to throw away and forget a much hyped Rs 15000/- MRP shoe after such a short time. What intrigues me more is that they have been also silent about repair of the shoe in all these communication.
    Both Nike and Myntra has fallen short of expectation when it came to resolution of the problem which their loyal customer is facing. What, then, is the difference between a roadside product and Nike top of the line product ? Then what about so much of hype about Nike and their so called image and goodwill?
    For me, the much hyped Nike shoe has failed to deliver its expected performance and accordingly I insist Nike/Myntra must review the matter once again at their higher level and provide me with a suitable replacement or arrange for repair of the damaged shoe.
    I shall be compelled to take the matter to various social media, international level of Nike and consumer dispute redressal commission, if not immediately attended to.
    Warm regards,
    Surajit Bhattacharjee B-503 Mansara Apartments
    Vasundhara Enclave Delhi, Delhi 110096 India
    Phone number +91 11 [protected]
    email id : [email protected]

Sher1 Mar 31, 2016

The reason that the shoes smell like urine is that urine is actually used in leather tanning. I have leather New Balance shoes and I put them in the washer. They held up well, but now they constantly smell like urine.

jojoeblow Mar 30, 2016

Actually, that 'cat pee' smell is real. It's a distinct smell that can be sensed from a standing position sometimes. In my experience, if I never, EVER got my shoes wet (avoided wearing them on wet or rainy days), I wouldn't get that smell in a pair of shoes. I would think that this counts with extreme athletic use, where one might be streaming sweat into his or her shoes, especially with an extended use of this kind.

• Re
    Reviewer13095 Jan 12, 2016

I bought Nike CR7 soccer cleats at Dicks sporting Goods and they smell like cat urine. There is no chance of a cat being around these shoes so I don't know what's causing this. I paid $175 for these shoes and my daughter can hardly wear them now. Dick's won't take them back as it's been 9 months since my purchase. They started smelling within 2 months. Please help

• Br
    Brandon J Walter Nov 12, 2015

My files smell like cat pee. That means I'm supposed to get a cat or someone dosent like me and wishes for my cat to pee on evrything, so even though I don't have one, there exists this odor of cat pee in the only place that I can't get away from. Or society thinks my shoes don't fit in, so the voodoo pee smell is so I get rid of them because they dont look cool. But then if I look cool, il get mugged.

• Ri
    ricko47 Jun 18, 2015

At the start of this year's (2015) soccer season (March/April), I purchased from the Port Macquarie store a pair of Umbro football boots for my 10 year old girl. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that they began to smell like cat urine. I am a retired industrial chemist with 40 years experience in the plastics' industry. Other brands of boots and jogging shoes also exhibit the same foul odour after very little usage, so it is not brand specific. Please send this email to Umbro and ask what has changed. Is it the cheap locally sourced polyurethane elastomers used in the insert foams? Most manufacturers have opted to have their products manufactured off-shore in cheap labour countries. Having travelled to most of these places and called on customers there, I know that sub-standard materials are locally sourced without proper testing. Please address this issue seriously and contact the manufacturers. This odour problem did not occur in the 90's and early 2000's.
    Following my message from yesterday, I have been advised that when Pork Buns are made in Vietnam, they sometimes cheat and use NH4CO3 to achieve a higher foam content when they cook the buns, as heating causes release of CO2 – and sometimes, if they are not cooked right, they can still smell like ammonia. The same effect happens in the Polyurethane foams. Normally they use steam and water to create the foam, but they can cheat and use NH4CO3. When it’s not fully reacted, the foam can still release NH4 + CO2 over time. With heat and sweat from people’s feet – this could create the Cat Piss smell.
    Rick Wilson.

• Gv
    GVirgoan Apr 02, 2015

IM going through the same thing with my Bakins I barely wore them and when I went to wear them I smelled the cat urine smell. A few years back I had the problem with a different type of Nike sneakers but I disposed of them because I wore them enough to let them go. But this time Im not giving up that easy. I washed them and the smell was still there I called Nike to complain and they said wash with soap and water and let them air dry outside. So far that's not working. Smh NIKE!

• Ca
    calash2 Mar 19, 2015

I have the same problem with my son's football boots, they absolutely stink, has anyone found anything that can help???

Allan AGF Feb 07, 2015

I recently paid $100 for a pair of shoes. The brand is TeVa, same cat urine smell. I do have cats and thought one of them had sprayed my shoes. I set them up on the heater and let the smell bake off. After that they were kept in a closed off room. I'm still having the same issue though. And it does indeed smell exactly like cat urine. Not human, dog, or horse but pure cat. I hate to take them back as they are very functional..

• Em
    emmao Dec 10, 2014

May family and I have had several pair of Nikes that smell this way, and several pairs that don't. It seems to come from the parts of the shoe that have the ventilation webbing. For everyone that says it's the feet and not the shoe, all of the complainants are not idiots. The smell definitely comes from the outside of the shoe on the fabric, not from the inside. I know what stinky shoes from stinky feet smell like and this is not it. This is a specific rotten smell and is a definite Nike issue. The particular pair of shoes that I have now are not even worn to work out in. I wear them to work in an office and back home, so they haven't been wet or even sweated in, but the smell is now so bad that I'm sitting at my desk and can smell them from under my desk. These shoes are 3 months old. I thought I would try Nike again because they were so comfortable but should have made a different choice.

• My daughters Nike basketball sneakers smell so bad like cat liter her teanates are complaining. They have never been washed so thats bit it. I dont understand it.
    The only thing that helps with the smell a little bit it to out them outside wheb its cold to air out some. It would be nice to get some answers.

• Ay
    ayley Nov 27, 2014

Same here. Nike mercury football boits. Purchased used off ebay. They must v realised! Literally going to buy umbro. As when comeing to think about adidas high tops ...they were the same. Never ever buying adidas or nikes ever again. Don't care what the fashion/pear pressure is. What's the point? Get ripoed off to a fine tune paying £45 for adidas high tops. Still feel ripped off with these nike foity boits paid £13 off ebay...glad didn't pay full price cos they need binning. ...saving money in long run from now on though. NONE of these top name overpriced [censored]e last any longer than a cheaper brand. Time fir a revokution folks. Stick to your guns. ..
    To be fair it needed a revolution anyway. Tell u summat. I will NEVER look at someone wearing adidas or nike as cool EvER again. I will think stinky b...ds willing to be ripped right off!!!

• Fr
    Francis from Firenze Nov 25, 2014

Hi. Here from Italy. We bought a pair of Adidas for our 3 years kid. The second day of use he returned home from school with this horrible smell, like cat pee. We though he got the shoes wet walking in the grass in the school garden, where a cat had peed. We hand washed the shoes three times. But the cat pee smell still remained. We threw out the shoes and we bought another pair.
    Then a friend told us that she happened the same thing with her daughter (8 years) Adidas shoes. Today, a rainy day, our son came back home with the new pair of Adidas and now the shoes have the same smell of cat pee!

NoThankQ [user banned] Oct 18, 2014

@ Beaten (apparently in the head): You may not be aware of this, but there are thousands of other name brand shoes to choose from. That you admit you spend that much each year for shoes that smell like cat pee pretty much cements the fact that you have no concept that there are in fact other brands to choose from.

Ali-m-c-m Oct 18, 2014

5 weeks ago I bought some Nike Tempo football boots for my 10 year old sons, who play football twice a week. I recently noticed a terrible smell of cat urine coming from our cellar, but finally tracked down the source of the stink to their boots. The smell is truly appalling. Twice through the washing machine now, it has not improved. Although some of their other sports shoes might not have smelt pleasant, this is 1000 times worse. NO WAY is it to do with their sweaty feet. They use their trainers much more, in all weathers, and they don't smell anything like this. It is so bad they need to be thrown away, and I am not a fussy person!

• Ga
    Gavgabmor Oct 16, 2014

I will never buy Nike's again, My son has 2 pairs of Nike soccer cleets that stunk like cat pee. My husbands running sneakers stink the same way. And no we do not have cats or keep sneaks out side. My kids bought Roshe run sneakers for back to school and 2 week into school the started falling apart. Nike will not refund my money because they said its from normal wear n tear. Not after 2 weeks!

• Bl
    Blaidd34 Oct 07, 2014

Hi sorry to say, have same problem with my sons Nike trainers. As for drink more water, and use foot spray - my son, age 10, drinks plenty of water etc, we have washed, sprayed and left the nukes outside and cannot get rid of the smell. NONE of his other trainers smell like cat pee only the nikes. Second pair and only the Nikes have ever given off this smell! So maybe we do have loads of technology etc etc but there is something wrong with their shoes!!

• Cy
    Cyclitis Oct 05, 2014

You people are crazy. Its not the shoes, its your feet. When kidneys can no longer hold the excess nitrogen from the body's use of amino acid it is excreted through sweat glands. Smells like ammonia, aka cat pee. Drink more water and use foot spray. Really now, with technology implemented by our society do you really think a company like Nike would use glue that smelled like cat urine on purpose?

• Mo
    MoodyMel Sep 24, 2014

Im in the uk and have the same issue - my son is on his second pair and i have to get him to leave them outside, they stink!
    will not buy these again - expensive waste of money, I'd die if he took them off at a friends house!!

sallyheart Sep 20, 2014

I was searching online on how to get cat urine smell out of shoes and found this site. I have recently purchased my 12 year old son his first pair of Nike my children usually wear Asics or New Balance. No other shoes in the past or present smell like these shoes. From what I have read here I will be making a formal complaint with Nike although it probably won't make any difference.

• Oh
    ohgee8763 Sep 09, 2014

BLAMED OUR CATS FOR THIS SMELL. OMG!! AWFUL!!! I NEVER HAD THIS BEFORE AND WILL DEFINITELY THINK HARD ABOUT SPENDING ON $135 ON SHOES FOR MY SON THAT SMELL LIKE PEE AFTER WEARING THEM ONCE!!!

• Sk
    Skyla123 Jun 23, 2014

My son got a pair of Addidas last month, football astro world cup trainers, after a month, low and behold, the smell of cats pee so disgusting, I rrang Addidas customer service and they told me to bring them back to the store for exchange, they were really helpful, and exchanged them with no hassle at all. We have no cats, and my son is only 11, so his feet don't really smell! My advice is don't wash them in washer, it will void guarantee, and bring them back, they have six months warranty at least.

Angie Maria Jun 19, 2014

$130.00 for cheapo sneakers. My son is 14 and plays baseball, football, and Lacrosse. Up until Christmas of 2013, he has never owned a pair of Nike sneakers or cleats, because Nike footwear do not run wide enough for his feet. This past Christmas he was able to fit into a pair of Nike basketball sneakers. After wearing them for 4 months, I began to notice a disgusting smell from the sneakers. I could smell it while in the car. This smell is like no other. My son's feet do not smell like this normally. I figured he must have gotten them wet too many times and a bacteria was building up in them. I have always washed sneakers and by doing so any odors were washed away ( I even throw cleats in). However, the Nike's odor will not wash out. I washed them, in a row, 3 times ( front load washer), and the smell was still there. The third time I put a little bleach in and that helped some. Within two weeks, the smell has returned. Now I know it is something with the sneakers. His lacrosse/football cleats, by Warrior, don't smell like this... and they also wash up just fine. I can't believe my son wants another pair of Nike sneakers. I work at the school. The kids basically wear nothing but Nike from head to toe. Nike is getting rich off our kids, yet they use cheap materials on OVER PRICED products. My son's green smelly basketball sneakers are no longer welcomed in my mudroom. They stay out in the garage. All other shoes and sneakers are welcomed!!!

Shompet May 29, 2014

I bought Nike shoes from the website www.nikeidhypervenom.com. I indicated my personal info, but the seller kept silence within 5 days. After that I received email from them, and the seller informed me that my order was out of stock. I told them to cancel the order, but they already charged my card and because of foreign transaction fees, they offered me another pair. I still haven’t received it. Don’t waste time and money. They are scammers and don’t delivered your ordered things.

• Li
    lisacrowe64 May 08, 2014

I am having same problem with my grandsons Nike shoes, I just thought that they had been cat sprayed also! They were so expensive and I have no clue what to do, he cannot wear them they smell so bad!!!

• Tu
    Tusen Apr 27, 2014

I placed the order on the website www.nikeshoesrussian.com about 2 months ago. I waited patiently for the confirmation email, which the seller never provided. I hoped to get any info about my order, but this scammer didn’t reply. I don’t know what to do, please, if someone has the similar situation, maybe you can help me or advise something. Also it might be a good idea, if people write about their experience with this seller. Post comments.

Alittle77 Apr 15, 2014

My shoes were fine until I washed them. What good are the shoes if we can't wash them? Does anyone know what we can do to get the smell out? My husbands stunk for so long and after many attempts with different things I finally got the smell to go away. But I don't have another pair of shoes to wear until I get this horrible smell out. Much less I don't remember what I did to get it out.

• Gu
    guerink Mar 17, 2014

Correction to my previous post; they are Ecco Yak biom trainers, and not Nike that are currently stinking up the shed. Thanks to this forum I now know that the Jack Russell was innocent, God rest his little canine soul.

• Gu
    guerink Mar 17, 2014

My wife bought a pair of expensive Nike Yak running shoes in October 2013 and within a month was unable to wear them due to smell of .. you guessed it .. cat urine. The smell comes from the underneath of the shoe, there is no smell at all from the inside of the shoe that comes into contact with feet. She doesn't even jog, and didn't wear them long enough for sweat to become a factor. Its definitely the glue, or the plastic, I recognised the smell immediately from a pair of Nike Air that I threw out about 20 years ago because I thought the Jack Russell at home most have tried them on, or something.

• Sn
    snolte Dec 10, 2013

Wow, I just put this all together. I first noticed this a couple of years ago with a pair of Nike Mules and two years ago with a pair of Nike Comfort Thongs. I just recently bought a pair of Nike free fit 2.0 (a little over two months ago) and must have gotten then a little wet when it snowed last friday and good gosh did they smell on Saturday. These are then only shoes that smell. I have plenty of other shoes and not one of them smell as bad as the Nikes.

• Ni
    Ninad Patil Nov 30, 2013

It was really a bad experience to such a false and defected product with false claim by worker.
    it has got one side of stitched much up relative to other which can be easily recognised.
    i want it to be exchanged in any condition, i have all invoice bill.

• Bo
    borrcu Oct 31, 2013

Having thought nikejordanshoesonsale.com website was legit I ordered 2 pairs of bandolier trainers which are hard to get hold of nowadays. I received as what can only be described as size 6. I sent a email asking for a return address to no avail having sent numerous emails nothing has been sent back. This company is basically thief. False advertising is a crime! Please do not buy from this site!

• Un
    Uncle Peeler Oct 27, 2013

After many hours researching internet complaints of this type I can only conclude that the manufacturers are lying when they say they are unaware of the problems. It is most likely all the manufacturers are experiencing the same problems; I bought two very expensive pairs of New Balance shoes, one only lasted a few months before the smell started after getting a good soaking, the other pair I keep scrupulously dry. I contacted New Balance, their agent acted surprised at the complaint but said if I would pay to send them the shoes they would investigate and let me know. Others have gone through the same process and some have received replacements, but the same smell came back in the replacement shoes. The problem has been going on for years, the manufacturers know about it but the complaints have not reached critical mass. Consumer Reports magazine, or some other high-profile consumer protection organization needs to weigh in. By the way, the problem is not a one-off pH reaction limited to just some people. I have much older shoes, one pair I use to wade into the mud at the cottage to do dock repairs, and they do not smell anything like my new shoes. I've been wearing sneakers for almost 60 years. I know what they should smell like.

• Dy
    DyanB Oct 04, 2013

I have the same problem. After walking through a river recently and getting my Nike Air trainers soaked, they now smell of cat urine. I can't get rid of the smell. These trainers were great for 3 years until I got them wet. Now I will have to throw them out.

Shawna Geist Sep 11, 2013

So glad to find this forum! We thought the cat peed on my son's Nike cleats. Tried various remedies to no avail. Riding in the car with him and his cleats became so unbearable, we threw the cleats away and bought a different, cheaper pair (still Nike since his foot is so narrow the other brands don't fit). That pair never smelled, but they eventually tore apart. My son chose to upgrade to Nike Veloce soccer cleats and soon those smelled like cat pee. My daughter's Nike cleats (a cheaper version) don't smell. I wonder if the problem is with the higher priced ones.