NetQuoteScam and cheating!

In short, the Sales Agent for Netquote.com, called to offer me a 'Free Trial' service of leads. He explained over the phone to me that the leads were free and were a trial and in no way would my account be charged for the leads. I asked if I could cancel at any time and the Sales Agent explained that I could indeed cancel at any time. He spoke very, very fast looking to get my credit card number. He explained the card would not be charged but was just 'for account purposes.' He spoke very quickly and kept reassuring that my card would not be charged and 'Yes, you can cancel at any time.'

After I received a few leads, I called the prospects to find that the leads were not exclusive but sold several times over so that each prospect had received several calls in a day's time. The extremely poor quality of the leads caused me to call their Customer Service department immediately to cancel my account and to complain about their poor lead system.

When I called their Customer Service department, I received terrible treatment and was told that I had signed up for 90 days and that I could NOT cancel until after that time frame. Much to my shock and horror, I complained profusely and explained that in no way did I agree to this...(THIS IS WHERE THEY RIP YOU OFF!!!).

They say 'Of course you did, we sent you an agreement form (WHICH I NEVER READ OR SIGNED OR AGREED TO) which your agent read to you over the phone.' THIS AGENT NEVER READ THIS TO ME OVER THE PHONE AND FAILED TO LEAVE OUT ANY MENTION THAT MY CARD WOULD BE CHARGED FOR 90 DAYS. HE ONLY SAID WHAT HE NEEDED TO SAY TO GET MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER. SCAMMERS!!!

• Wr
    w_rhyme Oct 07, 2011

The worst leads you can get ever! There are four kind of bad leads. First, you call, they said they don't want life insurance. Second, you call, never have anyone pick up the phone. Third, you call, they said they bought life insurance long time ago. Fourth, too old!

• Hd
    HDA Insurance Brokerage Sep 22, 2011

The majority of these lead companies are bogus! The concept worked well 10 years ago; when only a few agents were online or marketing using E-Mail, we purchased the said leads of $10/lead and were able to sell as many as 4 out of 10. With the quality of the marketing leads today, at best you could expect 1 out of 10 and I wouldn't even guarantee that! On top of the slightest chance of sale, you have to be extremely quick to respond to the prospect and at the same time be the cheapest premium on the block and ready to answer plenty of questions! 27 years in the business tells you, don't bother, there are better ways to market insurance.

• Kj
    KJDaniel Aug 03, 2011

DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR NEW "LIVE LEAD" PROGRAM EITHER. Save yourself the time, go to the ATM, draw out all of the money you would have put on "deposit" with them and then wipe your @$$ with each $20 bill.

• Mc
    mch1982 May 09, 2011

I AGREE. THEY SAY THAT I OWE THEM 600 DOLLARS FOR LEADS I NEVER ASKED FOR. I SENT THEM A CANCELLATION IN THE BEGINNING OF 2009 AND THEY JUST NOW CANCELLED ME IN OCTOBER OF 2010 AND WANT ME TO PAY FOR LEADS. I REPEATEDLY TOLD THEM TO STOP SENDING ME THOSE LEADS AND NOW THEY CALL ME WEEKLY THREATENING TO REPORT ME. I JUST SAY CALL ME LAWYER. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF WE COULD ALL GET TOGETHER AND FILE A LAWSUIT FOR HARRASSMENT.

• 12
    1234action Apr 27, 2011

instead pf paying 900 to 3000 to net quote pay it to a good lawyer, there are enough people here and there are more reading that did not post that will join, complaining is complaining, take action

Sandman1967 Apr 18, 2011

They have been spamming me to death, not even sure how or why they started contacting me. But this is a response I received when I asked them to stop contacting me... "I do apologize. It might have been some kid that entered your information to win prizes online from a social network. I will remove you from our data base, but if you would like the company to stop posting your info you should call them directly.
    The company name is netquote and their number is [protected].
    Thank you and have a good day."

"Lorena M.
    State Farm Insurance, Co."

So when I called the number...it asked me for my Q number??? I don't even know what that is and no one answers the phone nor does it offer any other options.
    So what do I do?

• Mc
    McNutter Apr 14, 2011

I had the exact same experience with them. They say I owe $914. Can we file a class action? Small claims?

• Wh
    WheelerInsurance Mar 31, 2011

New policy at NetQuote: Give a monsterous amount of bogus leads. Then refuse to refund for them. This has been a decent service until now. They have historically been good to refund for bad leads. The new policy is ridiculous. I'm voting with my feet. Never again will they get a cent from my agency.

• Mw
    MWFBI Mar 15, 2011

I was really disappointed with this service. The leads were not only really poor, they typically were UNINSURABLE! I had homes that were literally falling down, life leads that were on death's doorstep, and even things that I could not write such as E&O and other items. When I tried to request credits on these I was told that "not all leads are guarenteed." That is reasonable, but if in attempting to contact a lead through phone calls and emails and with no response, doesn't that seem like grounds for a credit for a bad lead? Just an example of what to expect...

I am locked into the 15 leads for $200 package right now. Until I reach the $200 I can't cancel, but I have been assured there should be no problem when I complete my end of the agreement that there should be no issue in cancelling immediately.

I would caution anyone against using this service. It is a better use of your time and resources to use your own prospecting efforts to find leads. WORST INVESTMENT EVER.

Morgan,
    Kalispell, MT

• Pa
    PatriciaRet1210 Feb 28, 2011

I have posted a request on NetQuotes.com to remove my personal information from their records after receiving several phone calls from Auto Insurance businesses who were informed that I purchased a new car (not true). Apparently, NetQuotes "sells" bogus information to these businesses. I tried calling the business [protected]) but was "17th" in line to reach anyone. These people ought to be shut down!!!

jake2344 Jan 21, 2011

what can you do, netquotes is trying to charge 798 dollars for bogus leads, I do not want to pay them becuase they have been so bad. They wont let me credit them back anymore...what can i do?

Kelly0602 Jun 16, 2010

I am currently batteling with NetQuote for $2008 charge of leads I did not recieve. I purchased leads from them for short while when I was a captive insurance sales agent. In Dec 2009, I called and requested all leads to stop. I was taking a new job mid December with an agency. In Feb. 2010 I get a charge on my credit card of $2008. I call they say it's for leads for month of Jan. and part of Feb. Told them I cancelled, they say no record. Find it odd I received no leads entire month of December. So does that mean no one was looking for insurance in December, so they just happen to wait until January? Anyhow, have gone back and forth, they are now threatening collections. I have confirmed with my Employer they discontinued my email address that Netquote would have been sending to 1 week after my departure. I explained to collections person I refuse to pay for services I did not recieve. He informed me there service is no different then if I were to move and not cancel my cable. The cable will still be charged to me and just because I tell them I wasn't watching TV in that house doesn't mean I am not responsible for the bill. I then asked for confirmation that they charge for leads regardless even if it's a non-deliverable email address. My repsonse was if I can provide a letter from the employer of when I left and that the email address was in fact not working...they will TRY to waive the charges. I am furious and my witts end!

• Netquote gets about $50-$60 per lead, as they sell you a homeowner prospect for $12 and peddle the same information to 4 or 5 other agents. The quality is extremely poor and if you submit to many bogus leads for a credit, they turn off your ability to do this on their website. In many cases, the leads are developed through an online questionnaire or survey and when you contact the prospect, they tell you so. If the contact info on the survey is accurate, no credit will be given. To say that these people are scoundrels would be an insult...to scoundrels! Netquote casts a wide net of info baiting sites across the web victimizes hundreds of agents per year. Instead of competing with 5 or 6 agents for a lead, go to a reputable lead source and order 1 agent exclusive leads. It is well worth the extra $10 per lead and your ROI will be much higher. Netscam should be investigated by states attorney generals for their business practices

Marc15801 Feb 15, 2010

Wow wish I had read these postings before I signed up with the infamous Net Quote. Likewise tried to cancel after 60 days because the leads were bogus, was informed that I couldn't, so now I'm getting calls and letters from collection agencies, and I paid the bill. Thanks Net Quote!

• Ri
    RichardSmack Feb 13, 2010

Net quote is a scam. Very bad leads, and they are leads that pop up on a possible client when that person is looking into different products, and they are asked "would you like to be contacted about"... Yep your lead that you are about to buy from netquote. Netquote is actually pretty good at this scam they pull. They will call you and tell you about their free leads to try. Then the netquote sales agent will blend together what they expect ethically and professionally form you the licensed insurance agent . IE we expect you to act professionally, and with in the law of your state, we ask that you remove a client form the mailing list and or contact list should they ask etc. etc and while they say it they are told to say it like they are bored and reading form a script. AND...lastly the leg that they think they can stand on comes at the end of the ethic and professional "smoke screen talk" we "ask" is that you spend 200 dollars with us for the year if you like the leads. Now are you going to say no to following the law and removing a client form contact should they ask? Most people won't. Very easy to charge back the card. Also I would advise everyone to file a compliant with the FTC. They more complaints the FTC gets the faster they will shut them down. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en. I can also direct anybodywho has been hurt by netquote how to file a small claim in court for 5 times the amount up to 5000. The cost to file up front is under 200 dollar. When you win you just add the fees to your damages.

KennyS Jan 25, 2010

Leroy: "doing it online with people I can't see, don't know what the building looks like should cause me to raise the red flag"

That's your misunderstanding, you should be meeting face to face with the leads. I would never quote over the phone, unless I worked for State farm.

KennyS Jan 25, 2010

I'm an agent using NetQuote and they clearly said the leads were free in the trial period as long as I agreed to spend $200 with them, after that I can cancel anytime.

I have had several duplicate lead issues as well as sending me leads while I suspended my account to catch up and have always been credited accordingly.

The agreement that everyone is complaining about is read to you over the phone which you must say yes too multiple times. The conversation is recorded if you have any questions on it.

It's a early bird game, you need to make a phone call the minute you get the leads to block out the markets. I have them sent to my pda and I'll step out of a dinner to make a quick call, that's the game.

My 1st policy I closed was my 1st free trial lead and has paid for every lead I have received since. It's worked for me so far.

• Le
    Leroy 123 Jan 21, 2010

I checked into this insurance lead system and I have to admit it's pretty scary. I know they say you have to spend money to make money but doing it online with people I can't see, don't know what the building looks like should cause me to raise the red flag. Plus they want a credit card number that will not be charged I mean cmon if that's not a scam what is?

If I can't ask questions about the company, the background of the person working it then I'm not intrested. My advice is when you do this you stay in charge of the situation don't let them make you feel as if they are doing you a favor they really work for you so make them be your employee.

• Fr
    Frank The Insurance Man Dec 19, 2009

I'm an insurance agent and tried the Netquote 15 free leads. I was asked to purchase as a condition for the free leads at least $200 over a period of one years to give it a fair try. That is certainly reasonable.

Internet leads are internet leads.

They are shared with 5 others, however they are delivered in real time. You have to respond quickly and close the appoint. as fast as possible. The longer you wait, the less the probablity of a sale.

HELLO! isn't that the name of the game.

The average is probably 1 out of 10 or less. That's an internet lead. If you want a better quality lead you have to spend $425 per 1000 mailing with a 1% response. You better treat those like gold because at $42 each, they are.

If you want near free, grab a telephone and start pounding the phones. If you have a better, cheaper, faster, more cost effective way of getting leads, I want to know.

• Jj
    JJAgent1977 Dec 10, 2009

I'm an Insurance agent. I tried Netquotes free trial thing. Well when I tried to cancel. They sent me thirty leads that night then tried to make me pay for it. Are there enough agents having problems that we could all get a lawyer? I got an 889 dollar charge on my credit card that I'm disputing.

• Mr
    MrT2000 Aug 06, 2009

Same here. I was suckered into this scam myself. I was surprised when I first was billed $250, and had to change my credit card number seeing as they refused to cancel my account. Then they continued to send these leads and racked up about $450 per month until finally they stopped the account two months later. Now they continue to send me a bill for a thousand dollars. What a joke!

• Ti
    Tim Jul 10, 2008

Exact same thing happened to me! Now they are trying to get me to pay for $1400 worth of leads generated during my "free 90 day trial"! Complete scam!