National Readers ServiceMagazine subscription

C Review updated:

Over the summer the company "Readers Club of America" called me to sign up for their magazines, it sounded legit, so I did. They billed me once and for the last 4 months I thought I got them off my back. I just got a phone call from these guys who say they're from "National Readers Service" saying they're going to start billing me again. I asked them to cancel but they said I made an obligation to pay them for the next 30 months. I asked to hear the voice recording saying that I agree to pay them for the next 30 months, but they refused to let me hear it. I have no clue what the hell is going on but if anyone knows anything about these people please let me know.

• Be
    ben Oct 09, 2008

/URL removed/

• Tr
    Tracey Williams Oct 20, 2008

yes i recevied the same call, your company has been taking money out of my bank account for more then a year, i want you to stop taking the money out i do not want anymore, books, some of the magzines i have been receiving aren't the ones that i order in the first place, and i need for you to stop taking my money. please let me know how i can stop all books.

Tracey Williams
    307 Wisteria Ave
    Cherry HILL, nj 08002

• Tr
    Tracy Santos Oct 31, 2008

Well I subscribed too, and they already billed my 39.90 for the magazine. I called their customer service number, it's 1-888-446-4405 and cancelled my order. I've yet to know if they actually stop billing me. That's all I could do to help.

• Na
    Natalie Turner Apr 14, 2009

Yeah, I got a call from them too. A guy called three days ago and started asked me what he called "Survey Questions" and before I knew it he was signing me up for five magazines for $4.99 a week. It sounded fine. I didn't want to be mean to the guy, I know was just doing his job. But before I knew it I had apparently agreed to pay $68.28 for 19 months. I asked during the phone call if I could call and cancel if I needed to and I was told that I could. I just called to try and cancel it and now I'm getting fed a line about how they have already financially obligated to the magazine companies and that I actually can't cancel my order. When I asked about my question to cancel during the original phone call, she said that that pertained only to some travel perks that are offered with the service. That's not what I asked about, I asked if I could cancel the magazines and I was told that I could. When I told the lady that she just parroted off the same line about how they're already financially obligatedand offered to reduced my payments $28.98. I don't want to pay them $28.98, I don't want to pay them $1.98. These people need to be stopped.

• La
    lasherghost1 May 20, 2009

What I don't understand is this ... I have had the same problem with this company. Before I knew what was going on just that quick, they were taking $70.00 a month off of my credit card and when I tried to cancel, they told me I had to pay one more month before I could cancel. They refused to cancel, so I reported it to my card company, who in turn shut them out and placed the card as a stolen / lost card and reissued a new card that they can no longer access for funds. If there is an internet complaint board for these guys and it is a well known scam, why in the hell isn't the FBI or somebody doing something to protect more people from getting scammed and shut these idiots down ? I don't get it. Well, I have decided not to buy anything over the phone that requires me giving my account number or credit card number ever again !
    Melissa D. Opperman

• Kw
    kws May 27, 2009

I GOT SCREWED TOO! They told me that i COULD NOT cancell! I don;t know what to do! I have 30 months of bs to pay! how do i get out of it!

• Kb
    KBennett May 29, 2009

They got me too. I got socked into a 5 year about 4 years ago! 59.90 a month. Day before yesterday when they called "to see if my magazines were still coming in good condition etc..." I told them NO they were sending me the wrong ones and I had been scammed into the service in the first place they referred me to a "supervisor". RIGHT! So he was going to fix everything! "The list is too long to go over on the phone so I will send it to you in the mail then you can call in and change them", he say's. "For your trouble, I will lower your payment to $49.90 a month. You will only have 36 months left." I didn't catch the 36 months till later, my bad! I said, fine. He say's I need to update all of your info. So I verify everything for him. Name, address etc... Debit card #. BAM. Over the past 3 days they have debited almost $150.00 from my account, under 2 different names, two $49.90 and one $59.90. The bank is stopping anything from those names but they can't guarantee they won't use another name! The magazine company of coarse doesn't know anything about it!

longboardcruisin86 May 30, 2009

These people called me last night and told me that I got entered into a sweepstakes to win a ridiculous amount of money. I asked them for a web site to confirm this information because I had never heard of this sweepstakes, and they said they didn't have one. The girl who called me said that American Express entered my name as a "VIP entry for the sweepstakes" but her supposed supervisor had no idea what I was talking about. They asked me survey questions and told me that I'd be receiving magazines for free, plus one that I get charged for. I asked, "But that's only if I want the magazine, right?" The girl said yes, but what they hide from you is that they assume that you AGREE if you don't made an obvious decline. They just keep talking and scam you into a crazy magazine agreement if you don't say anything to decline the offer. The girl, Chelsey, then transferred me to a "supervisor" where he confirmed my information. I had gotten confused and asked, "Wait, am I getting charged for these magazines?" He said yes and that they would bill my credit card. They know my address and everything. I said, "Wait, I never ordered magazines... what if I don't want them?"

The supposed "supervisor" suddenly became rude and took a tone with me and asked me if I had not understood that Chelsey had informed me that I would be purchasing magazines... I said no! Then he quickly said "Thank you, have a good day" and hung up. They are desperate to scam people into buying magazines. I did not give them my credit card information over the phone, but they somehow had my information because they informed me that they would bill my credit card. Immediately following, I called American Express and had them cancel my card and send me a new one with a new number.

I think we need to start a class action lawsuit against this company, National Readers Service, for deceptive sales service.

I believe the best solution, if National Readers Service says you can't cancel, is to call your credit card company to dispute the charges and then get a replacement card.

longboardcruisin86 May 30, 2009

I would also like to add that I learned in Business Law that a verbal contract is still a contract - that is why they tell you that you have a binding agreement but cannot cancel. However, that contract is void if one of the parties does not fully understand what the contract is. Everyone who has been a victim of this scam has obviously been confused and been unable to understand the terms of the agreement that they pressured us into. Additionally, I bet that most of their victims never said anything like "I agree to pay for these magazines." The National Readers Service just assumes that you agree to pay if you don't say anything to object, because all they do is keep on talking to confuse you.

longboardcruisin86 May 30, 2009

Sorry, one more addition. This company also goes by different names that relate to reading or publication (i.e. United Readers Service, etc.)... I guess it's their way of snaking around.

I also don't know if there are actually several magazine service companies that scam people, because National Readers Service said they were from Virginia, but United Readers Service has a web site that says they're from Ohio.

• Kb
    KBennett May 31, 2009

I agree a class action suit sounds like a good idea. These people need to be stopped.The economy is tough enough without people like them scamming us. I am stopping them from hitting my bank account under two of their alias's but I have to keep a close eye on my account now so more alias's don't pop up or get a new bankcard all together. I should not have to go through all of that when I have legitimate payments linked to that card.

Claire Jun 01, 2009

I completely agree to a lawsuit. I've had several calls, and extremely rude people. I've been threatened with court. I told them I wanted a copy of the recording. I was told absolutely not but they would play it for a judge. Despite being sent through several collections agencies it has yet to show up on my credit report. I'm calling the attorney general today to see what I can do.
    The guy told me I hadn't finished my contract and still had 2 years left. I thought it was wierd but I updated my info. When I received the contract its said 5 years. When I cancelled my card they said it was only for 2 years. My contract shows only 5 magazines and yet I'm receiving 20. Literally 20.
    I will add another post when I speak to the RI attorney general and perhaps we can get this lawsuit together.

• Ca
    Carretta Jun 18, 2009

I'm in the same mess and I just turned 18 and graduated, I can't have this over my head at a young age. I just got the card they charged closed and am now waiting to see what happens. I wish I had looked at these sites before agreeing to anything. The lady I talked to said $8.95 a week and when transfered over to her supervisor he said it was $49.81 I'd be chared with. I told him I couldnt afford that and he said he'd cut it in half with the student college deal so I'd pay 29.30 instead every 2months. Now the math doesnt add up even if it is 2 months paid, I hadnt realized that yet though. $3.39 a week equals 13.56 a month which equals $27.12 every 2 months. Not to mention I wont get them until 5-8 days and I just got a letter saying the service wouldnt start until 60-120 days when I paid June 12, 2009!? The letter I got is a contract to verify all of this and best believe I most certainly will not sign and send it back in. In fact, I'm calling the number they gave me to cancel my subscrption under the reasons of (1) It's a scam and (2) The numbers $3.39 a week doesnt equal $14.65 or $29.30 2 months. Not to mention half of $49.81 is $24.90 not $29.30 which is half of $58.60. I hope the lawsuit finally shuts this scam service down and will be glad to help with any type of information.
    The number I have for their always tied up Costumer service is 1-888-506-8304
    I recieved another scam call today from 866-764-2798 saying the exact same thing, and when I said I had no interest she hung up quick! This confirmed my suspicion which is why I'm taking action now. Anything they send me I'll keep the $29. 30 worth and send the rest back. My bank insured me they won't be able to charge anything to my account again.

Their website I found is:

Before I gave any informantion I was able to get this information from the supervisor which made me feel more at ease with this process.
    First his Name: Joesph Godfrey
    Company Address:
    1737 Highway 93 N
    Hamilton, MT 59840
    Some kind of pass code to insure his arrest: JHG-299
    And the phone # that the used to charge my account 888-300-9415
    I DO NOT know if any of this is real or going to harm an innocent man.

A site from one of the workers who may be able to help: /URL removed/

Also The company goes under several names: The Reader's service, Untied Reader's service, Natoinal Reader's service, Priemer Reader's service, International Reader's League and America's Reader's choice. I hope this helps and wish you guys much luck!

You can email me at: [email protected]

• Ju
    Jugghead Jun 23, 2009

I got billed 49.99 by these guys, called the number on the bill and asked to cancell my subscriotion and the lady very nicely said i could. as long as i cancelled within 30 days. Guess i actually have to wait and see if the 49.90 is actually put back into my account. Gonan go to the bank today and get my card reissued.

• Ck
    ckeller Aug 03, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me. These ### called me on the phone claiming I had been chosen by random as a "premium card member". Since I had just gotten a new visa I figured thats how they had gotten my information. They spent an hour on the phone with me explaining how it would work. It seemed feasible and a good deal so I went for it. Next thing I know the supervisor is on the phone telling me they are going to cram my payments into two years and bump my payments up $50 more a month to what I first agreed. Confused, I asked the supervisor why that was...he claimed it was for the convenience of the customers and since I had already agreed that I could not back out and I was legally bounded to it. He seemed nice so stupidly I agreed... At some point I am positive I heard him say it was not a contract so I could cancel whenever. Anyways, it was fine for 5 months before they called me a second time. They asked me simple questions and told me I was going to take part of a survey. I agreed (stupidly, again) and finished with the "reciept number" which I wrote down and stored with the rest of the info from the company. A week later I get a letter for a whole NEW account charging close to another $70 for 4 new magazines I did NOT order. I call to cancel. Of course the ### says I cant cancel. At this point I felt extremely uneasy about the whole thing. They were going to get over $140 a month for stupid magazines??? What happened to the $20 a month?? I told them I could not pay this and they agreed to lower my payments drasticlly. Reluctuntly I agreed A couple weeks later I get a call to pay off one account in full and get a $200 discount plus a $100 gas card. I did it. Never got the gas card. The last straw was 3 weeks ago. I got a call saying they had recieved complaints about the deliveries in the neighborhood. I said I was fine and tried to hang up. The lady said she was new and that I had to speak to the supervisor...again. I talked to this guy and our conversation went like this:

The guy: "Do you know how much your paying a month???"

"Yes" And I told him the amount.

"No well actually your paying this much" and he gave me a figure 20 dollars higher.

"Oh I wasnt aware of that but-"

"And do you know for how long these payments are for??

"Yes for 12 months"

"No actually their for 30 months"

"30 months!" Now i felt like an idiot. "Well, ok"

He then told me we had to go through the same survey process and I had to tell them I didn't want to renew. I repeated the information that he had given to me thankful that this was going to be over. I was wrong. A week later I get another letter saying I applied for ANOTHER account. I called them enraged saying I refused to pay and that if they didn't cancel I was going to sue cause this whole thing was ridiculous! I then called today saying I was canceling my bank account. They got yet another supervisor on the phone saying they were willing to drop my 800 dollar fee to 400 to get rid of them forever! I then had them send all my magazines to my local cancer society so I had nothing to do with them ever agin. I agreed so they could not affect my credit anymore and hopeflly this will be the end of the ###. I am on my last straw with them. Overall I have given these people over $2000. I feel like an idiot but I will never...ever...do anything like this again.

Claire1621 Aug 04, 2009

I spoke to a lawyer about this mess and he said there was nothing he could do since they are not located in our state (RI). Does anyone know where these guys are actually located? Maybe we can find a lawyer in THEIR state and get a lawsuit going.

~C

marjincharge Aug 05, 2009

So, I just received a phone call from the "National Reader Service" and I had no idea what they were talking about. The guy said I still have 30 months left to pay at $69.99 a month for a magazine subscription containing 5 different magazines. A number of times I told this guy that there was no way I could pay for this since I don't have a job at the moment and he said he could lower the price to $39.99. I asked if there was any way I could cancel the subscription and he said no that it was already prepaid. (that doesn't make sense). Then he made me go through a verifying process and asked if the credit card they had on file was correct. Before he took me through the recorded verifying process I asked him if he could give me the # to the billing department.

After the phone conversation was over, I immediately called this #: 1-888-299-7302. I was expecting someone mean and who talked very fast, but to my surprise it was a very friendly, helpful lady. I told her what had happened and she sounded appalled that the guy wouldn't let me cancel and she told me she would be contacting the General Manager. She told me that she would put my account into cancellation and told me that "National Reader Service" may have already charged me the first month's $39.99. I hope this lady can help me out. She was so nice it almost made me want to cry. People, call this number and try to cancel. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest.

• Ig
    igotapochahontas Sep 14, 2009

igotapochahontas-
    Just fell 4 this crap like ten minutes ago :( thought i'd google it cuz it sounded fishy. I have an idea, if the lawsuit duznt work. Can we all just call all of their phone #'s (the one they called me from was 931-286-0949 ) can we all just call their #'s and prank call/ tie up their lines? ugh, i'm southern! I can't keep up w/these freakn fast talkers! I told the "supervisor" that too! He asked me if i watch a lot of cartoons and then told me he cant draw me a cartoon on the phone! @sshole.

• Ro
    rockroyalty189 Oct 14, 2009

OMG! I am dealing with these people right now!!! GRRR! I had no idea what they were talking about because he was talking so fast!!! At first I just wanted to be nice to the first lady I talked to because she was apparently "new". But when she transferred me to her supervisor he was the one who signed me up for everything. GAH! I knew it was a scam the moment he asked for my SSN, when I refused he said that it was alright and then he gave me a number to call if I wanted to cancel but he said it SUPER fast!!! I only got 1-888-593-____. And then he hung up! So I immediately hung up and called my bank and canceled my credit card. They had ALREADY charged $68.28 to my card which will be disputed once it goes through. But WTF?! Now I am trying to cancel and I am getting the run around. I called a number this morning, where the lady told me to call tomorrow because my order hasnt been processed yet and I asked her if it was possible that I could cancel and she said YES. So, they will be hearing from me tomorrow [10-15-09].

****I do have a question though***

If I already canceled my card and I have been trying to cancel my supposed subscription ever since they called, can they send like a collections agency after me and ruin my credit??? I was told that I am protected by a clause called: Buyers Remorse. As a consumer you have the right to return a product or cancel a subscription. I just want these people put out of business. I dont know how they can get away with this.

• Eb
    E. Burke Oct 19, 2009

I experienced the same as the others above, they called saying I still had 36 months to pay and that I was on the "Do not Renew" list. He asked if that was correct and I said "sure was". I know about them recording the calls and I was very suspicious of them having been duped into ordering with them that last time, and I cancelled out then too which was two years ago, but now they were telling me I still had 36 months to pay. I tried not to give a definitive answer during the recording. During our conversation they asked it the card they were had on file was correct and I answered it was (stupid me). I have since cancel that account but not before they charged my account with 59.95. They also use another name "Treasure Coast of Fort Myers" as well as "National Readers Service".

Christen3022 Oct 20, 2009

I keep gettin letters in the mail saying they will now go to maximum effort to retrieve their money from me, and they say i owe them over 1000 dollars. am I in trouble or are they tryin to scare me? help

• Le
    letsfileacomplaint Oct 20, 2009

Well welcome to the club, I was given a whole line also for $39.90 a month. I was told it was a one time fee when I agreed to it (company name VIP Readers Service). I was suppose to be entered into a sweepstakes to win money or (I choose) get $20, 000 dollar makeover of any room in my house. They played the tape back and according to the tape I said everything but they didn't play it back from the very beginning. Also, I would never agree to pay for mags. that I very rarely read on a monthly bases. I am sure the tapes were altered because several times during my conversation with them I reinterated that I was only going to be charged one time for this right. And they agreed but of course that's not on the tape. I tried to cancel and they said I had only 10 days to cancel and that also as on the tape which I know I never heard and my comments were basically "ya" answers so whether or not I said them is debatable. What a scam, I am filing a complaint with the Attoney Generals Office and then I am going to my senator. If we all can get a list going of names and states where it has happened maybe we can direct them to this page. Any one willing? Suzann Herr, Minnesota

Claire Oct 20, 2009

I'm in

Claire Locke
    Rhode Island

Claire Oct 20, 2009

They are definitely trying to scare you. They did the same to me. When I kept refusing and insisting I was told I would be contacted by the idiot from the collections department after the tape was retreived they got mean and angry. The lady told me I'd be taken to court and the tape would be played. I said great! I look forward to that, and oh btw I want a copy of the tape. Not only was I told I would not be allowed access to that tape, but it would ruin my credit. She then hung up on me. They finally stopped contacting me about a year ago. Funny how we've been going back and forth for 2 years and yet it STILL isn't on my credit.

I sent an e-mail to consumer affairs for fraud, but haven't heard back yet.

Claire

• D
    D / Oct 27, 2009

National Readers Service (Pittsburgh, PA) scammed my daughter in June 2009 and was reported to the Federal Trade Commission, as well as, the Attorneys General in Pennsylvania and my home state. Her complaint with this company was satisfactorily resolved and HOPEFULLY it is over for her.

Their tactics of do not call violations, fraudulent solicitations, refusal to honor implied cancellation periods, deceptive disclosure of costs of their magazines (and other “third party” preview offers), fraudulent creation of multiple accounts and “renewals”, and abusive “collections” practices are evidently consistent with any typical magazine subscription scam company. The renewed comments on this relatively old complaint are only a fraction of National Readers Service complaints. See more links here: http://thenrsscam.blogspot.com/2009/08/spotlight-on-national-readers-service.html

For those needing ideas for dealing with a magazine scam these suggestions may be helpful http://thenrsscam.blogspot.com/2009/10/suggestions-for-dealing-with-magazine.html and the question of ruining your credit is discussed here http://thenrsscam.blogspot.com/2009/10/i-agreed-to-account-and-then-realized-i.html .

If you want assistance resolving your dispute, your local consumer protection organization can be found here http://consumeraction.gov/state.shtml or you can find attorneys specializing in consumer advocacy here http://naca.networkats.com/members_online/members/directorya.asp?token= . I found my state’s consumer affairs office to be invaluable.

If you believe any company’s business practices to be deceptive or fraudulent, I encourage you to report them to the Federal Trade Commission and Attorneys General regardless of the outcome of your dispute. Enough “official “complaints will trigger “official” investigations making this type of business more difficult to continue and potentially protecting other unwary scam victims in the future.
    • Federal Trade Commission complaints can be filed here: http://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
    • Any Attorney General can be found here: http://naag.org/attorneys_general.php

Best of luck to everyone, D/
    www.theNRSscam.blogspot.com

• Ta
    Tann Nov 09, 2009

I got caught in this loop over 8 years ago when my son (now in his 2nd year of college) had to sell magazines for his middle school. Just buy one mom so I can get a candy bar and a weeple...two years later I am buying more magazines for my son and daughter...the my two daughters. It was a huge cycle. I have no one in middle school but am apparently signed up to get magazines for the next 6 years but only need to pay $1500 more! yahoo. One of my daughters' recently lost my debit card and I had to have it replaced. I hope they can't get any more cash from my account and call to find out why!!! hahahaha.

• Dj
    DJG2222 Mar 26, 2010

ATTENTION ALL!!
    I USED TO WORK FOR TREASURE COAST RENEWALS AND GULF COAST READERS WHICH ARE SUB-COMPANIES OF AMERICAN PERIODICALS AND NATIONAL READERS SERVICE, AMONG OTHERS. I QUIT BACK IN 2008 BECAUSE I JUST COULDNT GO TO WORK AND SCAM PEOPLE ANY MORE. YES, WE KNOW AT THE TIME YOU SIGN UP THAT YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CANCEL YOURSELF. I DONT EVEN WANT TO BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW MUCH MONEY THEY ARE MAKING OFF OF YOU NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO TO CANCEL. IF THEY SAY YOU ARE GETTING A DISCOUNT, YOU ARE NOT, THEY ARE RENEWING YOUR SUBSCRIPTION BEFORE THE FIRST ONE EVER EXPIRES, FOR MORE MONEY. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CANCEL, SEND ME AN EMAIL TO [email protected] AND I WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY TO THEM WHEN THEY CALL AND DO TO STOP IT. IM SORRY EVERYONE FOR SCAMMING YOU. I TRUELY FEEL BADLY ABOUT IT NOW SO IM TRYING TO HELP AS MANY OF YOU AS I CAN GET OUT OF YOUR 'CONTRACTS'...

• Mj
    MJU Aug 11, 2010

Oh man - I am going through the same thing! I hate the magazines they are sending me and every time I try to cancel they argue and SOMEHOW I had two accounts taking 50 and 60 dollars out EVERY MONTH! LIterally taking two amounts out every month. I am soooo annoyed and just spoke to them again. This is absolutely the worst that I have ever seen. This company should not be allowed to do business.

• Jd
    jdagyr Dec 10, 2010

Everyone needs to get ahold thier state Attorney General and Federal Trade Commission about this. I just checked my credit report and found that the 1 account i had with NSR had turned into 2 accounts of just over 1, 000$ each. Both accounts have gone to collection and someone named "Mark?" from the "legal department" called me today and was very aggressive and extremely rude. He threatened a lawsuit then told me i could get out of a lawsuit by paying 300$. he also told me that in order to stay out of court i have to come up with 150$ in 2 days, i have a slim chance of coming up with that money. so as soon as i get off work im going to call the FTC and my AG and file an official complaint. Everyone else needs to do the same. and by the way, did you know that the Better Business Bureau has attempted to get ahold of National Readers Service with NO response(food for thought), Be sure to go to www.courthousenews.com under State of Kansas v. Publishers Renewal Service d/b/a National Readers Service a/k/a Readers Source

• Va
    valeriek Feb 25, 2011

so i got scammed too!/ it went so bad that because of it and other things we filed bankruptcy! and 3 moths later i get a call threatening to send me to collections!. they are calling with a restricted number now and hang up on me when i ask questions like where are they located and how to contact them! i dont know what to do because im trying to rebuild my credit and they are going to ruin it again. even though they are not aloud to do this or even contact me i cant report it because non of the numbers i find or addresses i get of the internet are working. and advice?

• Ba
    Bambie Aug 18, 2011

I was contacted by this service too, about a year ago, stating that I had won some $1, 000 gift card and could access it as long as I subscribed to their magazine service for $6.95 a month. The woman I talked to seemed sincere and I was foolish, but I was talked through a verbal contract where I couldn't hear anything they were saying. I kept asking them to repeat themselves, and they just told me to "say yes". Being a college student I naively trusted them, and was shocked to see I was charged $70 by their service that very night. I called them back and talked to a man who was very rude, saying I couldn't cancel even though they assured me I could on the phone. He literally yelled at me, and being upset, I hung up the phone. Well, strangely enough, he felt badly and called me back, and gave me the number to call and leave a message and told me exactly what to say - that I was a student and couldn't afford it, and he told me not to take no for an answer and to be very stern and direct about it. I left a message for them which was never answered, but left a report with the Attourney General and the Better Business Bureau, and contacted my bank telling them the $70 I was charged was a scam and fraudulent, so it wasn't processed and I wasn't charged. A month later, I received my response from the BBB including what I had asked for: a written and signed form from this company promising that my account was canceled and that I owed them nothing else. Don't let them push you around, and file complaints! Luckily it worked out for me, don't give up!

• Ti
    Tien Tran Nov 30, 2011

in my case, after getting the first letter (which is 7 days after the order date - they specified that i'd have to cancel within 3 days from the order date - [email protected]) i called to cancel as I don't like they way to do business. The girl on the phone keep telling me that I still owe over 1, 000 and willing to cut down the payment no matter how many times I told her that I only want to cancel the account.
    Only when I told her that I would bring this up to my credit card company then she would close the account and refund the first initial charge.
    This is a big SCAM and I regret ever being bought into this though I did not lose any dime.
    one important thing, I would call the credit card service and cancel the current credit card and apply for another one to prevent any further charge from this company.
    Now, if within 10 days, I did not get the refund I would take this up to my credit card company and claim that this is fraud.

• Tj
    TJ from TX Jul 09, 2012

I am really upset because I cancelled the next business day and they said everything was squared away. Now I am being billed by them for 3 months without even knowing it until I had to make a payment to pay my cell bill and the money was not there. I will be reporting them to the (BBB). I am very upset. I am cancelling my credit card tomorrow. I called one of the magazines they signed me up for and the account is legit, but it is paid in full until March 2013. I did not agree to this. I will be talking to the magazine companies as well. I will not allow this to be done to me. This is so wrong.

• M2
    M2L Aug 24, 2012

I got hooked into the same thing. Here is what I did, as soon as possible.

Cancel your debit/credit card and get a new one. They will keep charging you if you don't.
    Send back any magazines or anything they send you.
    If they call, tell them you're not accepting their stuff and no longer paying them.

It happened to me a couple of years ago. They told me I could cancel as well and as soon as I found out what they were actually billing me, I cancelled my debit card. As soon as I got their paperwork, I sent a cancellation letter to them (that's what it said in my welcome letter, along with ridiculous deadlines for each state.) It had also told me that it needed to be registered, but I'd heard if you sent it registered, they weren't checking or picking up their registered mail.

Once when I called, I got a woman to admit they had received my letter witin their timeframe but that I had still agreed to pay them and I was breaking my contract. SInce I was promised all kinds of things along with it- including the chance to cancel before they billed me, I told them they were too and to leave me alone. I kept this one guy on the phone for like an hour- not yelling or arguing really, just being annoying to him. And I continued to do it every time he called. But all you need to really do is cancel your card and send back their merchandise.

• Br
    b_royer Mar 26, 2013

I have been dealing with this for 9 or 10 years these people have contacted me from my second year of college when I did not know better. I called to cancel back then and they would not let me I told them I was a poor college student and never really even wanted them. They said it was already paid in full but they could stop them for a while and let me get into a better place before I continued. when they called back to start them again a couple years later I said no that I wanted to cancel. They proceded to call about every 6 months saying my account was on an automatic renewal and I said to stop the renewal I was not getting what I wanted and I did not want magazines any more. My most recent call they said they needed my credit card # verified to stop payment and I refused because I had already canceled my card they had it on. I asked for any other way to verify who I was to cancel and they said that was the only way to do it. I am so done with these people they are calling me on my work cell and I have no clue how they even got the number unless they are just searching for me on the state of Indiana's DNR website that is the only place that the number is listed. These people need to stop. How do I send the magazines back so that they get the point? They just go into my recycling bin at this point.

• Ir
    irrattedwithitall Aug 16, 2013

I am so sick of dealing with these people... I tell them I want to cancel & they tell me that I cant... the phone number that I call one time is different then I one I can call the next month, they told me that they would cancel me last month, & guess what? nope still have the money taken out of my checking account, , , , this is a crazy roller coaster and I need to get off of it!!! someone please help me get a hold of a person that knows what to do...

Kelly Stewart

• Na
    national readers service Apr 30, 2014

i am sick of dealing with these people also they will not let me cancel/someone please tell me how to get rid of them . becky faris

Sammysue89 Dec 17, 2014

I've gotten a call from them as well. They made it sound as if the gift cards I had entered in to win that I actually won them but then as I kept listening, I started wondering hey could this be a scam. Luckily the card they tried getting the funds off of didn't have any money on it. And since then we had canceled the card and new are getting a new card. Not looking forward to them calling me about making payments because I won't do it. They are a crap company and will get you roped in with you thinking you won something. When in fact they are just trying to get money out of people. If national readers of north America calls hang up. They are there to scam people.

• Ro
    Ron Williamson May 30, 2015

Country wide 888 300 9415 cancelled my magazines, still charged me and will not give my money back, haven't received any magazines cancelled three days after talking to the the lady on the other line said she has no record of me calling. She told me to get phone records from my phone that i called it was the same lady that i cancelled with.
    [email protected]

• Re
    Reviewer48843 Feb 09, 2016

I would like to cancel this order. I have not been able to contact them no matter how many ways i have tried to contact them. I would really like to get my money back.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices