National Home ProtectionIntimidating behavior and non-service!

R

James Monroe in accounting department is threatening me to put a lien on my house if I did not pay $1550. I did not cancel my contract but he still wants to charge $750 for contract cancellation fee. I DID NOT initiate the chargeback on my credit card. My credit card company made a mistake and they have corrected it once James Monroe informed me about it. NHP has received the money but James Monroe still wants to cancel my contract without my approval. Here is the email from him:

From: NHP Home Warranty [mailto:[protected]@NationalHomeProtection.com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 12:40 PM
To: [protected]@yahoo.com; [protected]@yahoo.com; Garg, Rajesh
Cc: Victor Hakim; James Monroe; Jonathan Bradbury; Regina Johnson
Subject: NHP ACCT: [protected]

Please be aware due to the chargeback initiated on your visa card, National Home Protection will be placing your account in collections for the amount of $1550.00. We will also be placing a contractor lien on your home in the amount of $1550.00. You have 30 days to remit payment via check of $1550.00 to the address below. THIS IS A FINAL ORDER.

Claim 163969: $245.00
Claim 163969: $350.00
Claim 187242: $205.00
Contract cancellation fee: $250 per term. Total $750.00
Claim 203300: $300 - CHECK CANCELED.
Home Depot Gift Cards: $150 - CANCELED

TOTAL DUE TO NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION $1550.00

WE WILL PURSUE THIS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPORTING TO ALL 3 MAJOR CREDIT BUREAUS WELL AS PLACING LIENS FOR REPAIRS.

National Home Protection, Inc.
42 West 38th Street
New York, NY 10018
Tel: 800.608.6045
www.NationalHomeProtection.com

• Do
    Don Algama Aug 15, 2016

service 601255: Clothes Dryer: not working was requested in 03/04/09. An authorized technician visited the place and inspected our dryer and blamed the filter and wanted us to pay for the trepair $165.00. I declined to pay the technician since I had warranty from NHP. I got my dryer fixed by paying $50.00 to a known technician.

• Ro
    Robb Hammond Aug 11, 2016

I had an identical experience, but I was able to contact my credit card company and they refunded me all of my money for the premium.

Robb Hammond

Marlene Jones Aug 11, 2016

I have a claim number #542519 and my claim was denied 10/13 for a water heater. Due to rust. The plumber stated you misunderstood his comment the water heater went out due to normal usage. The water heater is on a pedestal off the floor. I have done maintenance, I have a water softner at this house and it has been upgraded when I moved to this house. I had a inspection. The water heater wasn't brand new when I moved in 2003. So through normal usage it aged. I am DISPUTING THIS ClAIM! I moved to the plus plan so I can get items replaced. As you advertised. Everytime I have a problem I get the run around.

• Ku
    kudaisy Aug 11, 2016

I purchased 5-Year warranty policy ($1, 649.60) from National Home Protection in 2008. My first claim was my Air Condition. I called them and NHP asked to fax 2007 / 2006 AC maintenance records. After I did it, they denied my claim since they said the format and maintenance record was insufficient. Due to my 5-year and 3-year boys could not stand the hot weather in Flordia, I had to fix AC and spent $300 out from my pocket. I kept arguing with NHP, and finally they agreed to cover $150 (half of my cost). However, until now, 7 months past, I have not received the $150 check. I called them over 10 times, and they always say that you should receive the check soon.

My 2nd claim was my refrigerator. I called NHP and they sent the local contractor to me. The contractor asked me to pay $45 service fee first, and then they would come back to fix it. However, I waited for almost 7 weeks and they finally came to fix my refrigerator. I complaint NHP regarding the situation. NHP said that they can not control their contractor how soon to fix it.

No word how to describe the bad company. Today I called them to cancel my policy. They asked me to mail the cancellation request to their corporate. I really wonder if they will process my request and refund my the balance (at least $1319.8). I sincerely wish someone can teach me how to get my money back if they do not response my request.

• Pa
    patsy Aug 11, 2016

looks like their assets were frozen by the new york attorney general back in april. i'd say this company is now out of business.

• Ev
    Evan Aug 11, 2016

I also have never received the promised Home Depot $50 gift cards, one for each of the 2 years I purchased in July 2007! I have done all the things they requested and that other posters have done, multiple times, and have always gotten the run around and been stalled. It is now almost 2 years since they charged my CC for over $650, but I have still not heard a word about the gift cards-and they still advertise them on their website! What nerve. My latest attempt is to file a complaint with the BBB of NY, but I don't know if they can help...

• Ed
    Edd Gray Jun 03, 2016

This letter is to complain about service I recently received from Jenkins Appliance a contractor of NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION. A representative of Jenkins Appliance came out to service my cooktop, made his assessment and never acted on it. He was paid the $45 service fee. I expected a much higher level of contractors from this company, and I am quite disappointed. Because we did not want to spend any more time on this problem, we decided to purchase another cooktop.
    After speaking with Andy (a representative with NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION) on October 17, 2007, he suggested that I write a letter explaining the situation along with the receipt so that this claim can be properly resolved. I wrote that letter plus several other letters and to this day this matter has not been resolved.

I paid NATIONAL HOME PROTECTION for three years of service and was promised a $50 Home Depot Gift Card for each year. I have not received any gift cards only lies about it is in the mail.

This company is the worst I have ever dealt with.

• Ve
    Venkat Jun 03, 2016

There needs to be a lawsuit against these scammers.

If I get enough interest, I might shop this around to some lawyers in my area and start a class-action lawsuit.

Please send me your email addresses at [email protected], with your names if interested.

Thank you.

Best,
    --Venkat

• Tl
    T. L. Husser Jun 03, 2016

National Home Protection (NHP) and I discussed contract agreements to include having immediate entitlement to NHP home warranty services for pre-existing repairs. The MAIN reason I DECIDED to go with NHP is because I was excited about them providing quality home repair service. But within 3 days of me speaking with the rep I decided I would wait to get the air condition later and just cancel the service. When I called, I could not get through the lines because they were experiencing technical difficulties. When I was finally able to get through, I explained to them that I was trying to get through to cancel the agreement so my card WOULD NOT BE debited. It was within the first week that I had the conversation. When I spoke with someone on the phone they convinced me to go along with the contract and they would send me a repair technician to repair the AC as part of their one time courtesy for new customers and that the call fee would be waived, per one of the other perks the sales rep mentioned. I went along with this and coordinated to have someone at my home to wait for the repairs and when the repair man arrived he said there would be a large fee because his services were not covered by my home warranty. Furious at the amount of time wasted, I demanded a full refund because not only were they able to deliver on their initial promises by sending a home depot card but they couldn’t even honor anything they previously said about my repairs. This should be reported to the Better Business Bureau.

• Bd
    bdheels34 Sep 19, 2012

An automated voice keeps calling my wifes cell. Any help to end this would be great

• P0
    P0limmer Mar 10, 2010

This is one of the worst companies I've had to deal with. They lie, don't return phone calls, refuse to pay. I am now aware that the Attorney General in New York, Mr. Andrew M. Cuomo has litigation going. I want all my money back...roughly $1000. This company and its owners are scam artists and have done so across the USA. It's time to put a stop to this!!!

• Mu
    Muofassa Jan 16, 2010

I purchased a 5 year with National Home Protect and never received my 500 gift card. I also had them out once to fix my AC which they did not do, I ended up having to pay for it myself. Now my water heater looks like it might be bad and NHP doesn't have a phone number anymore. Anyone know what to do? How to get your money back? [email protected]

• Cs
    C. Symank Dec 28, 2009

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. You are not the only one to get had by them. Myself and 2 family members (both joined at my encouragement) are in the same boat. I feel like the biggest fool as I bought the 3 year policy to guarantee the price and then talked my family into going with them also. All I can say is God does not like ugly, and NHP has their day coming. Hope they are happy with swindling people that cannot afford it!

Devesh_P Nov 20, 2009

I paid $ 1000 a year ago to cover my home warranty for 3 years, I just tried calling them today at [protected] and it seems that they don't exist anymore. This is ridiculous, what can we do about this company and how can I get my remainder of money back!!
    Devesh

• Ei
    Eileen Wires Nov 15, 2009

Have paid in advance for a 4 year policy now unable to contact for service my charges for contarct was$1649.60 will l be able to get a refund.
    acct.# [protected]
    [email protected]

• Mm
    mml2900 Oct 29, 2009

Hi, my name is Michelle and I am an apprentice at Balestriere Lanza, a trials and investigations law firm in New York. We have filed a nationwide class action lawsuit against National Home Protection, Inc. We would be very interested in hearing more from you about your experience. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience at [email protected], or call Analyst Sarah Goodman at [protected] x 132.

• Ri
    ripped off SD Oct 11, 2009

I renewed my agreement with them a year ago in 2008. They have never responded to a request for service or emails or phone calls. They appear to be out of business, without notification.

• Ji
    Jimbo Oct 10, 2009

On December 5, 2006, I purchased a home warranty protection plan from National Home Protection at 42 West 38th Street, New York, NY 10018 for $373.91. On February 8, 2007 I submitted a claim for the repair of a double wall oven. The repairs were not completed until May, 2007. Both ovens became disabled at the same time, but the company insisted that the bottom oven was an existing problem before I purchased the contract. How they could even make this assumption was a mystery to me. I called daily after about a month of waiting to have the repair completed. They finally authorized the repair. By this time I was put in contact with the third appliance repair company. The first two refused to work with NHP due to the fact that the company was so difficult to deal with and each removed itself refusing to deal with said company.

In June of 2007 I submitted a claim for my air handler. The claim was denied due to the fact that I could not produce documentation for yearly checkups. My fault, but everyone I spoke to was very rude and it took about 4 weeks for me to get a response that the claim was denied.

On December 9, 2007 I submitted a claim for the same ovens (same problem). The company had been stalling to authorize the repair because it is the same problem. I was told that they were contacting the manufacturer to see if the part was warranted. They told the appliance repair company the same story. On January 14th, they contacted the appliance repair after hours and left a message. The repair company called back on January 15th and they were told that they would have authorization within 24 hours.

It is now January 17, 2007 and my ovens have not yet been repaired. I am now told that my contract has expired and it is under review by a supervisor (even though I submitted the claim one month before). I have been keeping a log and in the past week, I have phoned the company 20 times and left 13 messages and have not gotten a call back. Since I submitted the claim and prior to this week, I have called every couple of days to get the status of my claim. When calling, I am placed on hold (sometimes as long as 45 min.) before I talk with someone (who is usually rude and abrupt) and when asked to talk with a supervisor, I get voice mail, I leave a message, I get no response. My calls are usually directed to a supervisor. I have yet to speak with any of their people. I leave a voice mail, but I never hear back from them. I sent a letter to the president of the company (name unknown), I have sent emails to Victor H. and sent a fax to Rick Sanders, but have never gotten a response. When transferred to the Authorizations Department, I have spoken to a couple of people who then put me through to a supervisor and it is always the same scenario, voice mail, leave a message, no call back.

The contractor I am now working with is just as frustrated. They have never dealt with a company such as this. The previous contractor who repaired the ovens last May is no longer associated with said company (surprise!).

I have reported them to the BBB. They are based in New York.

I received a call from one of their representatives relating to renewing my contract and when I started to explain my dissatisfaction with the service I had received, he hung up on me.

In addition to all of this, I paid the $373.91 with a credit card on December 5, 2006. On January 5, 2007 I was charged an additional $186.96. I contacted the company at that time and they agreed to refund me. Since it usually takes approximately 2 billing cycles for a credit to appear, I was not too concerned. I then became so consumed with dealing with them to make the repair to my ovens, that this issue of the overcharge was overlooked. This has been going on for over a year now and I have yet to get a refund. They say that I received a refund the same day, but my card statement proves otherwise. I have faxed this information to the Supervisor of billing but have not gotten a response. When the contractor made a diagnosis of my air handler, he did not charge me the co-pay of $45.00. National Home Protection paid it and then suspended my contract. They were quick to ask me for their $45.00 (which I immediately paid) but refuse to refund me the overcharge.

I am quite aware that this is a very minor problem, but I am a consumer and I should be heard. I can’t believe that I am the only consumer that has been treated this way by this company. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

• So
    Soudi Sep 23, 2009

This is terrible I bought two warrant for both my own and rental homes for one year and I paied the total amount up front to get a deal. Now that I needed a garage door opener repair for the first time using my coverage, no one answers the phone or reply the Emails! where are they? How can I get my money back?

• Vl
    Vladimir Mora Sep 20, 2009

I totally agree with him.

• Vl
    Vladimir Mora Sep 20, 2009

I am complaining because I paid my premium with this company in August 2008 and I called them a couple of times where they sent the contractors to check the appliances that were broken. One of them needed to be replaced and they asked me if I wanted the check or not. I accepted and as of today I haven't received any checks for the appliance that I replaced from my own pocket.

I sent different emails and made different phone calls to try to resolve the problem but the phone number is out of service. Please investigate this company since their web site is down and no other form of contact is available.

• St
    Steff Sep 15, 2009

I contracted with them as they wooed me away from American Home Shield by a better fee and promised to be as good. They are a TOTAL SCAM. I even paid for the optional pool and spa coverage for an additional fee. They came to my home for the $45.00 fee and which was paid and later told me I wasn't covered for above ground spas as per contract. I never saw the contract as they billed me on the phone. Later my ASKO diswasher failed and they came to repair, the service agent collected his fee and told him they will have to replace the dishwasher as it was unrepairable.

The repair representative I believe never got paid by them and refunded my money. He was upset with the way they handled the claim. They finally got back to me after a long period of time and offered $199.00 They are supposed to replace as per contract with similar features etc. A dishwasher similar is in the $800.00 range or more with additional fee for installation. I had an attorney write letters and they never responded responsively to him. We are in the process of filing suit with a complaint of consumer fraud for treble damages.
    We will update. Also, be aware this company operates under a few names besides National Home Protection.
    I understand that anything that breaks from the service people that they look for anyway NOT to pay on the claim.

They are unreputable ... DO NOT GET TAKEN IN BY THEM. Go online and Google .. National Home protection complaints... they are exhaustive... I should have checked prior to contracting with them.

MarcusHAM Sep 15, 2009

I'm having the same problem. Did they go out of business?

• Ol
    Olmarine Sep 11, 2009

This company is a total scam...stay away from them !!! They lie, cheat and will not return any answer to any form of communication...telephone/E-mail/letter/registered letter.
    This company is nothing but a bunch of scammers cheating the working public.

• Zr
    zraju Sep 08, 2009

No one is returning call, I paid for the home warenty service, I even did not recieved any notice from them.

• St
    Steddy Sep 06, 2009

We had a home warranty protection plan on our home. For the year of 2009. We have been trying to contact them for several weeks. We found out yesterday they have went out of business. They forgot to inform their customers. Company is National Home Protection.

Can you help us get our contract payment back. Also their has to be a lot of other people with contracts with this company who is going to be in the same situation. Can this be made public knowledge.

How we found the business was closed was thru the chamber of commerce in New York where this business is.

• Tm
    TMisner Aug 27, 2009

I also filed a complaint with the Better Business in NY, but they weren't able to reach them either. The phone number I have is [protected], but the number has been disconnected, they still have a website up, but it also has the same phone number. If you go through and read about the company, they have a action lawsuit going. They are out of business now I believe. I'm not sure who to complain to. Thanks for the comment. Tonya

Debbie Mereau Aug 27, 2009

We bought a 3 year policy with National Home Portection in Oct., 08 they said they would send us a $100 gift card from Home Depot. We never got the card and never got a return ca
    ll fron the company, after numerous calls demanding to speak to a supervisor.They gave us the run-a-round and I finaly gave the case to the Better business bereau in NY. They finally told me that they tried to make contact with this company and they but the Better Business never got a responce.
    today I called to file my first claim and I have tried and tried to call them, but they have had their number rerouted and no one ever ansers the phone. I wonder if they are out of business or have they changed their name.? I wonder how I can file another complaint?

Charles L Richardson Aug 11, 2009

My policy was only a month old when I had a claim (I had renew for 3rd time) NMP sent a servicman I paid him my deductible but the authorization was never issued for the new part.When I tried to call the co I found out it's closed.I paid them over $400 what can be done?

• Fr
    Fred Jul 29, 2009

This company is a total fraud. We took out a 5-yr protection plan, a cost of $1, 649.50, with a promise to receive a $250 gift card within 60 to 90 days.

They kept stating that the gift card would be coming shortly. We attempted to speak to a representative and was disconnected once and the second time was told that there was not a supervisor on call. Again, we called and asked to speack to a supervisor and of course no one called us back. They told us originally that I could cancel my contract any time with no cost, but
    after reading the fine print they stated there was a charge of $200 cancellation fee. We purchased the plan over the phone with one of their sales people and our visa was charged the full amount that very same day and was not sent a copy of the contract for over a week later stating "This contract may be cancelled by the holder within 3 days from the order date and cancellation must be done in writing". Our visa company gave us provisional credit of the $1, 649.60 until the dispute was settled and they elected to stand by the merchant...so again they charged our acct with said amount.
    Can't they see that this company is frandulent and scamming trustworty people. They need to be stopped immediately and the visa companies should reimburse the said amount. Not only have we lost the above amount, but we also attempted to call for service for a warranty problem and no one ever called us back. We had to bring in a private plumber to fix the problem at a cost of $100/hour.

• Ke
    Kenny Jul 27, 2009

They use their "right to require maintenance records" in order to dishonor repairs, even if you have been with them less than a year, even if the broken part has nothing to do with maintenance and even if their own service contractor tells them everything was well maintained!

Mary Meyer Jul 22, 2009

I bought a 3 year home warranty plan and have not had to use it yet. I tried to call them to place a claim the number has been disconnected and there is no response on their website. I paid 989.76 for three year protection and it will be 2 years in September. I need to get my money back

• Ka
    ka123 Jul 15, 2009

We agree! We have also been trying to get in contact with this company and are getting the same "not in service" message. I would like to know as well what is going on with this company. I am going to contact the NY state office of Consumer Affairs. The # is [protected]. Let us know if you find out anything and we will do the same!!!

• Tu
    Tunja Jul 15, 2009

Are they still in business? I have been calling for the last past two months. At first I would get voicemail, then I would get a busy signal, and know I get Their services are no longer connected message. i think they should refund all of their customers their money back. This company is full of ###. And a waste of our time and money.

Denise T. Jarnigan Jul 10, 2009

I have had this contract since July 2008, called once for my dryer andwas told they do not cover dryers and the contract clearly stated dryers were covered. Today i am trying to call regarding my stove and the 800 number has been disconnected with no alternate number given. I did not realize the company was a fraud until I attempted to contact them today. My contract has not been honored and i feel I should receive a full refund from this fraud of a company. I found the company on the internet and feel this is a classic case of internet fraud.

Denise T. Jarnigan Jul 10, 2009

For this person that got the great service, please tell me the phone number you called for service because I have been trying to call the service number and am being told it has been disconnected. Are you sure you called National Home Protection in NY city?

• Ho
    Hometec Master Jun 16, 2009

We didn't get paid for our services either. We are in Arizona. They just lied to us over and over. Live and learn

• Ho
    Hometec Master Jun 16, 2009

We were a Vendor for National Home Protection and did appliance repair for them in the State of Arizona. They had us go to homes of people who had purchased a Home Warranty from them and fix their appliances. They did not pay us for our services. They are a bunch of crooks. They kept promising to pay us, but never did. They told their customers that they paid us. Liers Liers all of them.

• Cp
    cpamarty Jun 15, 2009

NHP is a scam. I contacted my credit card company and documented my claim against this fraudulent company. I received a credit for the entire $996 payment made to NHP. I suggest you do the same.

• Tm
    TMisner Jun 11, 2009

We are a appliance repair company, and have been going through the same situation as yourself. I called for months straight, always on hold for 30-45mins, and usually get hung up on after waiting, to only become more furious. I've sent numerous e-mails and left several messages for both managers(Mr. Howard & Mr. Sanders), but like yourself no one has ever returned a message. I received the same advise you got. The smaller companies aren't going to make it if these bigger companies can't pay their bills. I understand your frustration, thanks for listening.