Complaints & Reviews

bad service

We bought materials for a pole shed last year. The materials were delivered late and arrived just two days prior to a snowfall that didn't melt until April (those of you in Wisconsin know what I'm talking about). Due to the early snowfall, not only were we not able to put the shed up, we weren't able to sort through the stacks to see what had or had not been delivered. By the way, I didn't think I HAD to inventory them. We just finished building our house. Those materials were purchased from a reputable building supplier. I never had a reason to inventory anything they delivered. They simply delivered what I paid for. Menards, to the contrary, does not necessarily deliver what you paid for. This was demonstrated, first, by the failure to deliver a door. When we discovered the door was missing, we argued for a time with the store but the door eventually was delivered (I realize now just how lucky I was). Today, however, when we realized an entire shipment (3 packages in total) of screws was missing, the store told us, "tough luck." Too much time has passed. If it had been within a couple of weeks of delivery, MAYBE we could have done something. Okay -- so that means that we DO have to inventory everything (I'm talking hundreds of items in an order for a pole shed) within a couple of weeks of delivery or you're out of luck. I have to say that even if we were able to start building last year, we still wouldn't have known the roofing screws were missing within two weeks unless we had done a complete inventory upon delivery. So now I have to shell out more money to pay for screws I already paid for. Way to go, Menards. I can tell you I will NEVER order anything from you again. I would rather pay a premium to get it through Lowe's or a building supplier.

• I0
    I'mOnlySaying Aug 18, 2009

I'm sorry, but I would've told you the same exact thing. If it's been more than a few weeks, that's not really the company's problem, it's yours. If you're irresponsible enough to not inventory things, you put too much trust into companies.

• Wi
    William P. Wolfe Sep 09, 2009

I was in need of a lawn sweeper, this morning I visited the Menards store in Kokomo Indiana. they had on hand abou 5 lawn sweepers that would have worked, I had seen an add in the locals paper advertizing a 42 inches lawn sweeper at rural king for $199.00 the one in your store was the same make and same type made by agri-fab, Yours was selling for $269, 00. I was under the thought that you people matched and reduced the price by 10% as in the past. but the clerk manager said the models or the one sold by Rural king was not the same as the one sold by your store. They were exactly the same sweeper. a 42" tow lawn sweeper. I am disappointed in the service I received. I have spent many dollars at your stores and thinking maybe you would rather I go on down the street to lowes to give them mmy business.
    Yours truly
    William P. Wolfe
    2838 W 300 S
    Peru, Indiana 46970

• Al
    Alan Saul Sep 07, 2017

@William P. Wolfe Menards get around this by buying in bulk then they have some small change from all other models then they can say its a different model, which it is. Example a Black and Decker drill at menards may have a 8 foot cord but the rest is the same as everyone else's but they have a different model number for that reason.

• Bl
    Blah blah blah. Nov 21, 2009

all you people who ### and complain about menards and their service need to put a plug in it...its always the same with you people...you come into our store and tell us what to do...what to get you...and ### at those of us who cant really help you...get it through your head that not everyone in the store can help you with ###...if you dont like whats going on in the store, then be my guest and go pay a ### ton of more money to buy ### you need for a day...and another thing, dont buy ### for a shed in the middle of ###ing winter and not inventory...its not our fault ### didnt get delivered...you blame the first employees in menards you see and its the people at the service desk...WE dont make the rules, we just do what were told...when you ### people come into our store and complain about some screws or 50 cents, we make fun of you when your out the doors...if your gunna come to menards and be an ### hole to us, let us know where you work and we'll come to you and complain about all the same ### you do to us.

• We
    Weatherkings Oct 25, 2010

i bought a 26" yard wise lawn sweeper at menards and i cant complain, for one it was cheaper and 2 it was the only to buy it without ordering it online, i will always go menards for everything i need for my new house!

mark myers Nov 03, 2010

menards sells bad [censor] blah blah blah seconds factory rejects like you blah [censor]ing blah blah i work hard for my [censor]ing money i dont want to throw it at you [censor]ing shoopkeeping [censor]s that dont know jack [censor]ing [censor] about anything but your [censor]ing [censor] youere holding on to when your [censor]ing supposed to be [censor]ing working [censor] you blah blah blah

my bad experience

I am a disabled person who is in need of an electric cart. When I came into the store, there were no standard carts. The wheel chair cart was too small, and there are no electric carts available. Therefore, I was unable to shop at your store. Store also does not have any seating such as benches or chairs to rest on throughout the store. Spoke with manager and manager said he had requested more carts and electric carts three or four times in the last several years and has not received a response from HQ yet. This shows that Menards does not have any respect for disabled persons has a right to shop and has needs as well. Had to shop at Lowe’s because they have electric carts.

Jocko Lane Jun 08, 2008

Why would Menard's order more electric carts for someone to use. I am also handicapped and management knows that overall the people who are going to require electric cart s are not going to generate revenue like catering to able body customers. Dollars and cents!!!l. Their big money is in "Building Materials" It's a question of the accountants putting the money where they are going to get the biggest bang for the buck$$$

No need to thank me menard's I'll just have my son push me around in one of your overpriced factory seconds inferior wheel barrels.

P.S. I suggest you install blinking strobe lights on sticks like Kmart use to have when someone wants service. I have to whistle like I'm at a football game when I see one of the clerks out dodging me. If you clerks don't like your job quit or learn to deal with customers instead of walking the other way at 15 miles and hour when you see someone trying to find help.. I know I'm not alone on this complaint!!!

joe Jun 08, 2008

You are the excepti0ns not the norms. If every business catered to you they would be out of business. You are not more special than an able bodied person. You have more limitations that is the extent of it. You need to adapt to our world, not the other way around.

• Ni
    Nick Jul 20, 2008

Bring your own cart. All I ever see on tose carts is FAT people! I would not supply one to you either. Wal-Mart does so shop there where all the fat people shop. Lose some weight and then walk around like everyone else. If you can't even do something as simple as shopping at menards, how can you do any DIY project around your house?

• Lo
    Loella Apr 10, 2010

People are so rude. I am able to do diy projects and I am able to choose items for others I hire to install. But I can not walk the store several times to find what their employees will not point out. I do not care if Menards have carts or not however since I shop at home depot who has the carts, showing they care about my business.

terrible service

I need to travel 40 miles to my nearest Menards. Menards of Marquette has been doing a lot of expanding and moving inventory around.

It is a nightmare trying to find things and it has always been difficult to get any help! You can watch as you approach an employee they seem to turn and hide. Menards has lack of employees.

I would like to see Menards of Marquette have a manned information centre with maybe detailed floor plans to pass to any consumer with questions on where to find certain products or information.

If Walmart can afford greeters, Menards ought to be able to find a retiree, to man an info centre cheap!

• Mr
    mr rude Oct 20, 2008

I work at a menards and can tell you first hand were always understaffed. We turn away from guests because 90% of the guests are complete ###s. Theres thousands of items in the store so dont get pissed if a team member doesnt know exactly where and item is.

• El
    Elmo96 Feb 16, 2009

The floor plans at Menards change all the time. It sounds like you happened to stumble into yours when there were redesigning there's. And that manned information center you were talking about? It's called the service desk. Just go up there and tell the nice man or lady what you need, and they will either call somebody up to direct you to the product or tell you how to get there. There's always somebody there, and they can't turn away!! The reason I know this is because it's my job to work service desk, and I deal with this every day. Just be nice, please!!

I will never go back to menards

The store manager of Menards in Tinley Park. His name is john, , he is the worst customer service

I bought a fan and the fan was defective and it was installed on my ceiling in my house, , I went back to explain the problem, , , maybe we did some wrong, , , at the end it was defective, , , I was willing to buy another fan and have the service man install the new one and I will return the old back, , , he charged me $30.00 more for the new one. He could charge me the same price and I will return the old one, , he turn his back on me and kept going ... I will never go back to Menard, there is lowes and home depot

• Av
    average joe Nov 30, 2008

i'm sure that menards is fine with the loss, you sound very unintelligent

• Fo
    Former Slave Dec 10, 2008

Another Menards suck ### employee...did they give you a 10 cent raise to respond to the complaints for the rest of your life...Probably! ###!

challenger Jun 29, 2009

John, the Manager is an ###, without a doubt. He needs people skills and customer service training. If he worked for me I'd fire him!

product on sale, sold out, but still selling

Bought a patio set on sale, but then found out this store did not have all the pieces. They sent us to two other stores in two different towns. Each store was supposed to have our missing items, not! We then asked them to order the items. Couldn't, item discontinued, but item in sale flier for another week! At the third store, a couple was going to get a rain check for the same set. I told them it was discontinued. They had the employee check it and yeah, dah, no rain checks allowed. Item discontinued. We ended up getting our money back.

Mark Weller May 19, 2008

Recently, I have gone to Menards to purchase items from the plumbing, electrical, and the seasonal deparment. In my last three visits they were out of the items.

I approached the Pewaukee, Wisconsin manager, Dave, about Menards practice of keeping their shelves full. I was told that replenishment is done strictly by computer. Obviously this does not work.

I suggested that department managers, upon coming on shift, to a visual walk through of their departments. Upon noting empty bins to go on their own website to see when items will be coming and put a sign in the spaces where no products are to be sold.

This is simply good customer service. Menards does have a definite problem if the rely solely on their computers as delivery is to occur twice a week. I asked the plumbing department manager when the last item (the item I was looking for was sold). It was over a month ago! So delivery every two weeks is not happening if Menards are relying solely on their computer for ordering.

Menards Guy Oct 03, 2008

The Manager was partially correct about the replenishment system. The restocking of shelves is far more complicated then at first glance. There are 9 ways to restock shelves which include computers. If an empty shelf is not caught by the operating system then there might be a bigger problem, possibly an incorrect count or vendor backorder. Menards spends 2x the industry average on restock and adjustment.
    The items you were looking for should have been looked at as soon as you mentioned it and I hope that the problem has been fixed. If you do not find the first person you speak to receptive then ask for the next manager higher until you get a straight answer.
    Masterforce

• Ve
    Vernon J. Byers Feb 13, 2009

This is my complaint with MENARDS store located in Melrose Park, IL. Store Manager who will remain nameless needs to take a course in Customer Care and Relations Class 101.

I purchased a snow-blower that was on sale and displayed in front of the store upon entering. The unit was assembled and looked new. The unit was marked down by $15 dollars. I inquired why the unit was marked down and was told the first buyer had put the wrong gas in the unit and couldn't start it.

Now I agreed to purchase the 24" MTD SNOW-BLOWER with my Menards credit card and paid for delivery with total balance was$689.00.

I got a call from Menards later that evening. The person informed me that they couldn't get the blower started. I said OK I'll be in the next day to have all credit transactions reversed.

I got another call 3hours later from Menards stating the snow-blower is now starting, and delivery date is still scheduled. The blower was delivered and stored in my garage. Two weeks later a huge snow storm hit us, well I'm ready with my NEW snow-blower.

Except one problem, it won't start. I tried over and over again, nothing. Eventually I called Menards and spoke to The Manager who informed me that I should look at the small print on my packing list which states no returns.

Mr. Manager, I'm not a happy "Guest" right now so I offered to buy a new snow-blower even if it cost more. NO, said The Manager. Now I'm thinking you turned down a chance to make a better deal and you said no. So I asked to speak to his superior, his reply was no he has no superior.

So he gave me the address and phone number to a company that takes the warranted machines and other units for Menards.
    I informed The Manager that I was going on line to E-Mail a complaint against him for his total unprofessional conduct over the phone.

The next day an employee was sent to my home to see if they could start the snow-blower, but he couldn't, and was told to leave the snow-blower there.

So I paid a delivery charge again for a pick up and delivery to the recommended repair company. I was just informed today that the blower was fixed.

The repair company informed me that the gas tank had water in it, the oil had water in it, and the carburetor had water in it. Total repair cost $117.00. I would like for Menards to pick up the repair and delivery cost. I agreed to buy a working snow-blower, not a snow-blower that needed repairs.

Sincerely Yours, Unhappy "GUEST" Mr. Byers

we were unable to use coupons because we did not have a big card

We bought several items last week and when we checked out we were told we could not use the coupons we got in the mail or paper because we did not have a Big Card. Don't send us the ads then. We buy most of our materials at Lowe's since it is closer to us. Most of our friends use Menards and we were satisfied with the products we bought just not the service. No where in print could we find the fact that we must use a Big Card to purchase coupon the items we wanted to buy there.

Menards Guy May 01, 2008

I suggest you speak with a store manager and show them the coupon in question. Menards does not typically send mass mail coupons. The ads are for use by everyone. The only coupon that requires a Big Card are the coupons sent with the Menards Big Card credit card statement. Another popular coupon that requires the Menards card is 10% off all purchases with the Menards card. The terms are clearly stated.

• I0
    I'mOnlySaying Aug 18, 2009

I'm an employee at my local Menards, and I'm sorry that this happened to you. I've seen all kinds of coupons that we have, and very few actually require a Menards Big Card. It's quite possible that your cashier was mistaken about the coupons, or maybe it was even their first day being a cashier by themselves and their training was not handled properly. Either way, I'm sorry that you had this experience. I hope that you will shop at Menards again in the future.

unlawful restraint plus

I went to Menards in Marion, IL. on April 9th to pick up a window 24"x30". I was ask to drive around the back...

windows do not fit

I bought windows from this Menards store. I gave them the exact window size opening. When I went to have the...

rebate

I just got my rebate back from Menards and am very upset to find out it can only be used in the Menard...

terrible experience!

Last Saturday (November 24th) I went with my friend to Menards in Lafayette, IN off of Creasy Lane and the...

lyon's bathtub from menards is crap!

I purchased a Lyons bathtub (model 3060) and shower surround form Menards. After less than 2 years of use...

poor material!

Special Order from Menards for a "pre built" 10x8 Grizzly Shed. Took two weeks for the special order to be delivered. Was told by the lumber specialist "the truck driver will set it were ever you want it". Two weeks went by and on a Saturday here comes the truck "flat bed semi" with my special ordered shed. He could not "put it were I wanted it because he had a "semi"!! Started to unload by hand! The lumber was the worst I had ever seen, BIG knots and warped 4x8 sheets of "treated plywood, 2x4's were knotty and warped, the shed it self (walls) looked like someone had drove a forklift into it!! Sides were split or broken, points were broken off. Lumber looked like the lowest grade made and the worst picked out. Refused delivery and the driver returned it to the Menards store. Had charged on my "Menards" card, went to the store to have taken off my card and experienced the worst customer service I had ever had. NO ONE ever said they were sorry about the problem or even asked if there was something they could do to remedy the situation. Bad product & BAD service.

• Ti
    Timothy Ott Dec 04, 2008

I have a completed grizzly shed that I bought from Menards. I did not have it delivered, i picked it up at the store, the package fits nicely in the back of a full sized pickup truck, . probably a better bet, because you can refuse it on the spot. It is not the best quality shed in the world, but for the price it is excellent, by far cheaper than most any other shed kits. It is now 5 years old and looks brand new. The siding provided is very tough and it is pre-primed, I would suggest painting it with a semi-gloss paint, it sheds water better than flat paint. I would further suggest a light colored shingle if they still give you a choice, they don't deteriate as much as the black shingles most kits come with. My only regret is that I did'nt purchase the 4 foot extention kit that is available for it.

wont back their product!

This problem all started on Oct 8, 2006 when I went to Menards in Terre Haute to buy a dishwasher. I bought a Display model because it had the features that my wife & I wanted and the price was good 399.99 SKU # 451-5732 sold by Megan. I bought it went home and installed it and let it run thru 1 cycle to make sure there were no leaks, and it made a horrible girding sound that you could hear all over the house. I removed it and took it back. A salesman Name Dan told me that this unit should have never been sold, it was already installed once and had a problem it needed service. So I did not say anything but was aggravated due to the time I was out. So we bought the model down brand new in a sealed box SKU#451-5655 and brought it home and installed this one. It worked great until Aug 2007. It started making noise, girding just like the last one. So I dug out the Receipt and called the 1-800 number for whirlpool. They ask me for Model number and serial number, I was able to find the model number on the invoice but the serial number was not on the dishwasher. So the lady at whirlpool told me it would be on the inside on the left, it was not. So she said she would go ahead and dispatch the service person from A & E Repair and the tech will get it. When the tech got here he could not find any numbers at all on the unit and told my wife that without the serial number they don’t get paid for warranty work and told my wife to call Menards to get the serial number. Today I went to Menards with all my invoices to show proof that I got the dishwasher their .I spoke with Shawn, from that dept. When I showed Shawn all the paper work he said he would call whirlpool and get this fixed and he would call me. He called me back and told me that they can’t do anything about this, and I will have to pay for the work performed on what should be under warranty. So I called Whirlpool to see what they could do for me, Amanda, told me Menards should have all the info I need. So I go back to Menards and ask to talk to Bill the store manager, when he came out I showed him all the invoices and pictures of the dishwasher that had no serial number on it. He told me he would call to see what he could do. I ask him for an exchange since the invoice said in big letters (Allowable returns for items on this receipt will be in the form of an in store credit voucher if the return is done after 01/06/07) and I was told no on returning this. Today is day 2 of fighting this. I went back to Menards because Bill told me on the phone last night he would only give me an in store credit for $40.00 and give me $20.00 off of anything else. So I went in this morning to tell him a store credit won’t do me any good unless I could purchase a service man at Menards, since I’m not looking to buy anything. I’m still out the money to fix a dish washer that is still under warranty. And all Bill could say was if I had sent in the little warranty card I would have known sooner that the dishwasher didn’t have the serial number on it. Not even I’m sorry there’s
nothing I can do. So by this time I’m not a happy camper, $429 for a dishwasher that lasted 10 months that is under warranty yet I have to for any repairs. So I said a few choice words about where he could stick his store and Bill told me to “Get the hell out of this store” So I left and went home to wash dishes by hand while my $429 investment set beside me.

Jerry Hankins

special bag discount is a rip-off!

Menards is having a sale where you get 17% off everything that you put in a special bag. I purchased an item that would only fit half-way in the bag and they refused to give me the discount. This has happened to me before. Some good did come of it though as all 10 of us at work today chuckled about it all day. Enjoy the $3.00 Menards you must need it worse than I do. Too bad your pettiness will end up costing you hundreds in lost business. Poor customer service is the key cause of a business to self-distruct and Menards is well on the way.

• Ca
    Cameron Ziegenfuss Feb 26, 2007

The bag states that the product must fit inside the bag. It can be twice the height though. If there weren't rules...they might as well just give everyone 17% off everything.

• Li
    LISA LIVESAY Dec 11, 2007

OBVIOUSLY YOU DO NEED THE THREE DOLLARS, OR YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A PROBLEM FOLLOWING THE RULES.

Menards Guy Apr 30, 2008

The rule is the item can be half way out of the bag as long as it is resting at the bottom of the bag. It can not be on top of other items.

• El
    Elmo96 Feb 16, 2009

Poor customer service!! What!?!?! Yes, the rules state that the items must be no taller than twice the height of the bag with the bottom of the item touching the bottom of the bag. I have had people rip an entire bag apart and try to tell me that just because some part of the bag was touching the item, they should get the discount. We did not have a bag sale in 2008 because too many people were taking advantage of it. And trust me, we are not going to take your three dollars and run with it.

poor service!

Clive Menards Manager Stephen Smiley has lied to me several times. I purchased some special order doors from...

sell defective carpets! do not stand behind their products!

Carpet purchases was defective. Menards sent someone from the carpet mill, (shaw industries) to inspect the...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices