Memorial Hermann Health SystemOutstanding balance vs admission to memorial hermann parc

L Nov 04, 2020

Yesterday, on November 3, 2020, I had to admit my daughter to a treatment facility, Memorial Hermann Prevention and Recovery Center or Memorial Hermann PaRC. During my daughter's assessment, admissions verified her insurance coverage is covered at 100%, no co-pay or out-of-pocket costs. She will need detox and 30-day treatment; however, before they would treat her they told me I had an outstanding balance of $2200. They wanted me to pay half of that outstanding balance out of pocket and before her admission. A medical facility was opting not to treat my daughter who has insurance coverage until I paid half of the balance during a pandemic. I explained that due to COVID-19 my salary was reduced. They allowed me to set up a payment plan of $185 per month and took my debit card information. When did capitalizing on healthcare overrule patient care?

This is wrong. Memorial Hermann could easily write off that $2200. This payment plan is not doable for me and the fact that they feel comfortable forcing people to commit to a payment plan in exchange for treatment is reprehensible.