SayReba Jun 15, 2010

I have been using Magic Jack for a few years now. I did find that in the beginning the telephone I was using was crappy. I then upgraded to a little than crappy and it has worked just fine. I really like it. At first I didnt give out the number and then one day it rang. Someone with caller ID was calling me back. I was shocked it really worked. Also the first time I got an email that I had a message. It was a voice message. So then I was happy to see the voicemail (messages) worked just as good. I really recommend this product. I have not fully taken out my land line but I removed every service connected to it. I havent totally removed it because I am kinda still attached to it. I am sure I am heading in the direction where it will be good-bye house phone.

Sad Jun 15, 2010

What a joke. They have this product on the market. And I'd like to take the time to list all the things that I believe is crock of crap.

#1 Crappy audio quality. Download after download, from the agents still don't make a *** difference. Even went out and bought different phone. Found out the stupid thing likes the old 24 mega hertz phones.

#2 What they call the equipment. Oh my goodness. I have never seen a computer part so poorly designed let alone the lack of sturdiness this box is. Whether you have USB ports in the front of your computer or the back. You can't shut down your computer or guess what, you have no phone. That's ok I guess if you have a cell phone. SO just in case someone needs to get ahold of you for an emergency they'll be able to call your cell phone. Unless you turn those off as well at night. When you boot your computer up, this lovely usb box doesn't like to register. So, what to do on this. You have to unplug the blooming thing from the port and plug it back in. To register it.

#3 Due to the pulling in out and plugging back in has weakened the USB and now I have unfortunately been blessed with a broken magicjack. I went online to the FQA's and typed in replacement. Under replacement it states that there is a $9.95 shipping and handling charge and it also states that they will replace the magicjack for this price with no questions asked. Ok, fine. I'm not really happy to have to pay that, but no questions asked. I go online to their Chat live agents. Talked to two people, both telling me that it's going to cost me $20 because it was broken. Stated that the website says that it will cost $9.95. "Oh, that is only if it is defective". This is not defective, you have broken it. So, it will cost you $20" Ummmm, the website doesn't say defective. It states that you will replace it with no questions asked for $9.95. After arguing the idiots over and over again. What was my result. They have my money and will not replace it until I pay the $20 and they'll send me another one that will take what that 2 1/2 weeks they say it'll only be 5-7 business days?

I do not suggest going with this *** Magicjack. I was stupid and I really don't want to see anyone else making the stupid mistake that I had made. If I had the choice, which I have already tried to do. I would report them to the BBB. Unfortunately you are unable to get ahold of any phone number, address or anything. They surely aren't part of the BBB, I can tell you that much.

• Or
    Ormante Jun 08, 2010

I was as persistent as I could be while still being polite, but the folks at Magic Jack would not tell me when Washington state area codes would become available. They would not escalate the issue to a supervisor, either. It seems that they don't care about the 6, 664, 195 people living here. If indeed someone from Magic Jack is monitoring this, please do something about your service. I cannot purchase it, or recommend it to anyone if my local area code is available.

• Ve
    Velehouise Jun 03, 2010

Okay soo, I got the Magic Jack about a year ago. It was fine for the first 4 to 5 months. Then I began having droped calls, Sometimes when I talk The person on the other side says "I can't understand you, You sond like a robot..." I would not recomed the Magic Jack, unless you do not make alot of calls from your home phone. Or you do not have the money for a regular line. Also the Magic Jack has made my Labtop a sationary area because I can not move it with all the wires hooked on to it. I see many people agree that this is not a great product and I Do not recomend it.

JackMayOff Jun 03, 2010

I hooked up my magic jack the other day which I bought about three months ago to try out and have been amazed ever since. You guys are [censor]s that can't get this working. You need your computer taken away and thrown in the garbage. This is so easy to setup that I could not believe it was working in 5 minutes. I currently have Road Runner internet service and MJ works like a charm. I get my voice mail in my email instantly. All of you that can't get this working or having issues need to sale your computer and get your phone service back and stop complaining like little titty babies. From top to bottom you guys are idiots! Get a life and sale your computer. Duh what's a keyboard and USB port???? Plug it in your a** to see if it works!

• Da
    Dan-san Abboptt Jun 02, 2010

I will reommend to everyone I know or meet, do not buy Majicjack, it is a scam, I am going to report it to the Secratary Of State of California, that it is a scheme, to bilk the public. The one that I purchased from Radio-Shack does not work. I was conned into purchasing two additional years of service. When I called to cancel my service, and requested the return of the two years of service, I got a big run-around. I think legal action should be taken. In my discussion with their account clerk on the phone, I was told the two years additional service I paid was not for two years, but $19.95 for the phone and 19.95 for one year. They said, they would take my request for the refund, "under advisement". When I purchased the MajicJack, I was told the $19.95 included one year phone service. However, that does not seem the case. You must pay $19.95 for the MajicJack, plus $19.95 for the first year service. I will be lucky to get $19.95 for the two additional years I purchased. They are cheats, They have false and misleading advertising. There is a big difference between what they advertise and what they say. Their account clerk was rude, would not listen to what I asked or explained and she hung up on me. I waited a bit and called back, and I went throught the same crap as the first time. Her explanation is, and I can only assume this is the Majicjack policy, is, I paid $19.95 to Radio Shack for the Majicjack ( they advertise one year phone service.), plus $19.95 to Majicjack plus 1$19.95 for one year additional service. So some where there isa missing one year of service which I paid for.
    They are committing a fraud in their advertising in what the price of the Majicjack and the service they are selling. Plus it does not work.
    Dan-San Abbott

• Dw
    dwe3ioy May 27, 2010

i cant get it to work on my win 7 computer, and the magic jack people also can't, their tech staff don't know anything they drive you crazy having you redo the same thing again and again

• Gr
    Grengosse May 26, 2010

Recently watched infomercial for the the magic jack . Against by better judgement, I decided to order. Never spoke with a person, all recording. After giving all my info, per the recording since I was using a debit card they would charge me immediately. There was no one to say NO to, even though that was not mentioned on the infomercial, so now I have no choice. Today, I received my Magic Jack and was totally surprised to learn after reading the agreement, that I can be charged internet charges among other charges. This, also, was not mentioned on TV. I am unable to get a customer service phone # to call. I want to return this immediately. When going to the website, it says in order to get credit for your return you must return with a RMA#. OK, so I filled the form to get my RMA # and guess what???? None of my info was accurate enough to get a RMA#. So, Now what???? I think a lot of people are going to be very unhappy with this company.

• Co
    colpappy May 25, 2010

I agree - had mone for over a year - have used it all across the US via laptop and air card - always works -

• Bc
    Bc24 May 22, 2010

I would not buy Magic Jack. The problem is with the help. No phone number to contact anyone. All has to be done via IM. I have had the unit for one and half years and several issues that no one can (or will) correct. It works well some of the time, but is very difficult to work consistently/reliably.

• Cl
    C. L.ROGERS May 20, 2010

Three out of three Magic Jacks (MAGIC JUNK) failed days after the guarantee period expired.

No amount or hours on their help line revived any of them. MAJIC JUNK IS A SCAM.

CLASS ACTION LAWYERS SHOULD HAVE A FIELD DAY.

WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR?

salem NewHampshire May 19, 2010

Just a comment regarding using similar device to provide phone service to your whole house: assuming that you don't have land phone service into your house, disconnect the incoming phone line (that comes from the telephone pole) from the master phone connection (usually in your basement next to the Circuit Breaker box. Your home network is now isolated and can be driven by the output of the device; Just plug a phone line from the device into one of your phone jack. You should have live phone line thru your whole house.

• Do
    Donna Fail May 18, 2010

I had MJ for almost 2 years and it worked great! I loved it because able to call anyone, anywhere and not have to worry about "using up my minutes" or... wondering what time it was. Is it after 9 p.m. yet? But... I let it go and want to get it back and unable to do so. I get on their site and trying to find a way to use the same little "modem" and just need to pay for one year's service but this has been a hasstle. Again, I do not need the MJ. I just need to start the service but have been unable to do so. Unable to find someone at MJ who can help me get this going.

• Pa
    patf19 May 10, 2010

Majic jack works like crap support horrible--company dishonest see my youtube--type in magic jack ripoff

• Us
    UShappy May 06, 2010

I have used the majic jack now for several months and do have any major issues to report. sure it is not perfect, however, as long as you are not trying to down load a bunch of stuff it works well and is clear. I do not like the fact that it alarms you when a call i coming in it can be distracting, however, I figured out how to silence it. If you know how to use a computer properly it should be easy to use, took me about 2 minutes to hook it up. It doesn't drop calls like other VOIP I have used, and it is a great deal. Whoever has trouble with it should get it replaced, because I have had no issues... Its the best deal out there. Anyone that get more than a year is foolish many company's don't make it 5 years, however, this pays for itself in a about a month at most, so hats the big deal? When I travel I can call home from anywhere in the world for freeand my family can call me as a local call with my Local US number. It is great as far as I am concerned.

• Ul
    Ulian May 06, 2010

I recently got my magic jack and i am having problems with it. i have tried everything on the internet. there is no way to get a live person on the phone to help. also when you try to return it the computer says it has no record of your oder. yet they can bill my bank account.

• Ca
    CanadaMJ May 06, 2010

Any company that has an online order system that you enter your order, review the charges and they have them add on additional charges (25% in additional shipping and handling) without notification prior to purchase is outright scamming you. Any company that sells you premium shipping service (10% of product value) and then after the fact tells you that their standard of service to your destination is far outside what they took the time to pitch you on in their grueling upsell process - is scamming you. Any company that cannot tell you where your 10 day old order (never mind the 35% in premium up charges) and tells you to go to the post office and ask them???? is scamming you.

Any operation that will NOT TALK TO PAYING CUSTOMERS should be avoided because it IS A SCAM!!!

• My
    my2cents7 May 05, 2010

umm? why do they owe you money ?

• Kl
    Klimed May 05, 2010

Magic Jack owes me $145.95 and $93.80 and I need to get them back.

• Bo
    bonecrusher May 02, 2010

I've been using MagicJack for over a year now. There was a time when my service was a problem at times. People on the line would complain that I was breaking up or sounded as if I was in a well. Typically, an immediate recall would result in a better connection. At $19.95/yr for unlimited calls anywhere in the U.S. I was more than satisfied with putting up with the occasional inconvenience. Add features like "call ID", "call waiting", and voice mail, and I was happy with the savings. Surprisingly, over the last six months the frequency of problem calls has dropped almost to zero. So I really have no basis to complain about MagicJack.

MagicUser Apr 17, 2010

The magic jack is not perfect, but overall it's a really good product -- more reliable than my cable phone service which costs more. I'm planning to cancel the cable phone service and get a second magic jack. I ordered the MJ online and then changed my mind because I wanted to buy locally the same day. My order was canceled and I went out and purchased it. It's worth the cost. No customer service problems and no problems getting my credit card charge reversed.

• Je
    JeffInFL Apr 14, 2010

MagicJack sucks!! We bought it over two years ago, and never used it, because they told us we could port our current number over in a couple months. That never happened!! They kept saying it will be available soon. If you go to their website today (over 2 years later) it still says it will be available soon. They are lying ###. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!

• Pc
    PC86 Apr 13, 2010

I have what may seem to be a stupid question but can you use your actual home telephone with Magicjack or do you have to make all calls over the net? Also, does anyone know if this service is compatible with Hughes Net? That's my internet provider because I live in a rural area and could not get internet services the traditional way. Thanks..

• Aw
    aware19 Apr 08, 2010

You are not the first to experience how bad Magic Jack and their company is. They attempted to sue Boingboing.net to try and remove a blog posting about its EULA. They also sent in Astroturfers to downplay the situation and try to say "Oh maybe its because you have a virus in your computer blah blah blah."

• Ro
    Roscher Apr 08, 2010

Got it fine, sound was awful, tunnel sound and lots of statci. I sent it back and got a refund but not for return postage as priomised. I have a problem now, I keep getting email telling me I have messages from my Magic Jack account, that is annoying. I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone today trying to deleted my email from their system and have had no success. They are supposed to let me know in 24-48 hours. Don't bother getting magic jack the service is terrible.

• Sg
    sgo Apr 05, 2010

I think the Magic jack is wonderful, I use it for a second line. It does everything my landline does and more, except it cost less for 5 years then the same thing from Qwest for 1 month. How could they afford to have live customer service for what they charge, get real.

sally aldrich Mar 26, 2010

Bought Magic Jack to help with phone expenses family long distance call. My husband has cancer and need to keep family informed. Jack will not call out or in only states on call in that no one here leave message or that voice not working.On call out it dials but doesn't ring. Have been on computer with tech's several times and got no where. What a joke and a bad one at that. How do they stay in business if there are nothing but complaints that this doesn't work. Also out money for something I can't use. Can't call and talk to anyone or e-mail it's like they don't exsist on this earth.

• Mj
    MJscamedMe Mar 25, 2010

another1scamed said,
    March 25 2010

FCC can help with problems with getting your magicjack working and it’s FREE you can also call your state because magicjack has to be licensed in each and ever state that it has service. The other thing your can do is go to WWW>YMAX>COM and send emails to:
    Media Contacts:
    Kari Hernandez
    INK Public Relations
    [email protected]
    and try to get help even if she has not been of help to me as yet you may get something.

• Rj
    rjb1 Mar 22, 2010

I think this is a preamble for a certain setup. Once you entice the cattle indoors, it's time for cultivating the meat.
    Lobbyist are already being paid millions by phone companies to swarm legislative action to restrict the internet to pay for exposure. (partially for this very reason of using the internet for voice, thus diminishing the reliance of phone companies. Phone systems are a HUGE industry. Do you really think they are just going to "step aside" and let this happen to their profit margin? Think again.)
    And, take a guess at a for certain fate. MJ is a communications provider. Phones. Not internet. Once the internet is restricted, MJ will fall into line like a good little overnight sensation who made TONS of cash, off of an idea, that is from it's conception due to be overcome.

And knowing how mass corporations operate, I believe that MJ is already in bed with large ISP's, who know for damn sure the internet is going to have a significant change as far as communications and "freedom" is concerned.

There is no doubt in my mind, where a mass solution exists, a mass injustice is sure to follow.
    For example, the world knows that we can power the entire planet on volcanic heat alone. Never mind solar, wind, geothermal, hydro and other sources.
    The entire earth, thousands of years, just from harboring the clean and sustainable heat of volcanic activity. But rather than create a sustainable solution that we, as a society have known about for decades,
    the cattle is brought to the chopping block, to create all things oil. And thus nations fall, leaders replaced, infrastructure bought and stolen for the cost of millions of lives, and millions of lies. (Global warming anyone?)

How many lies will you swallow? How many to good to be true deals will entice you into the slaughter house? How many taxes and fees from a profound source of greed and political maneuvering are you going to fall prey to, before you stop turning the other way? This is your earth. You make it what it is. But if you continue to stay in the dark, or turn away from the obvious manipulation of mass people for money, then it's your fault.

Here is another aftermarket scenario. Once the ISP's have backed you against the wall about using the internet for voice communications, they shake hands with the phone companies, who now increase their rates
    in the wake of the competition. Deregulation is an illusion. A ruse. It doesn't exist. What does exist is the consistent and methodical setting up of billions of people by a few like minded greedy people, who ultimately control entire nations, because they control the monetary system, and the infrastructure.

If this is all news, or sounds like conspiracy theory to you, then you are ignorant. It's your earth. .. again, take some responsibility. Educate yourself.
    You have been warned.
    -rb

• La
    LAPOVO Mar 21, 2010

Magic Jack is a scam.
    As soon as their yearly prices went up, they canceled my phone number, and are forcing me to buy another unit at higher prices. they breached a contract that their prices would not go up above 19.95
    I WOULD NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEN AGAIN AND I WARN ALL OF YOU THAT YOUR FAITH WILL BE THE SAME!!!

• Je
    Jessy:( Mar 21, 2010

Why would you provide financials before you got a product or tracking number?

• Mm
    mmamu Mar 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me what is the customer support phone number for MJ?

• Mm
    mmamu Mar 15, 2010

Well guys, so many comments both positive nad negative have surfaced, but can anyone give me suitable answer for one simple question...what is the phone number for MJ customer support?

• Ka
    kazh Mar 12, 2010

well i took the time to talk with the live help chat and everyone online wants to know how do i uninstall my magicjack? well i finally got them to give me the way to do it this is a link to the uninstall program. the reason i say this is the problem we are sharing is caused by the updates thats y it works at first then doesnt after a while.

• Cy
    cyth Mar 11, 2010

I recently left a complaint on this forum and after doing some research and sending a few emails to people in the Ymax/Magicjack Corp I recently received a email back and the issue that I was having along with a family member has been resolved after a month in a half of going in circles with there tech support.. For those of you with issues with Magicjack in anyway. I may suggest sending a group email to the higher ups in the Ymax/MAgicjack corp. Here are the website in which I used to get a hold of someone: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100220093501AABSqXZ
    You just have to do a little research and find email addresses or phone numbers to get things resolved. Just do not send a email to the person in customer service on that link since he no longer with them now for about 6 motnhs or so. But I got results, even after dealing with there tech engineers without fail with them as well.

• Ca
    carole E Mar 08, 2010

I bought one for my husband months ago and he tells me his works well. Maybe you did get a lemon. Sorry you can't seem to get a replacement.

• Sc
    Scarman Mar 08, 2010

The majic jack is the worst piece of junk I have ever purchaed. The only thing worse than the product itself is the support. They never help you & just keep you online typing for ever & then say they have to move you to a higher level of support & you have to start all over again. I cancelled my account & removed the product & got a new phone number & the majic jack is still screwing up my new phone system. After hours online asking them to fix it, it never gets done. They don't care at all...Trust me don't buy this product!!!

• Md
    MDFJRAJ Mar 07, 2010

I signed up for Majic jack service on March 3, 2010 as a direct result of two references from existing customers. However, I have not even received the USB yet and I have a major complaint and have been on the phone with their customer service with no satisfaction; as well as online chat support.

I was contacted by my bank on March 4th wanting to confirm activity on my debit card. Well, MJ not only charged me the agreed up $39.95 + shipping; then $69 (5-yr contract)...they also decided to deduct additional charges without my permission.

When I advised them of the error I was told that there was nothing that they could do as their records did not indicate an erroneous charge.

Well, I explained to these folks that I am unemployed and really attempting to minimize my expenses and that I immediately needed this corrected; I have been advised to open a complaint and wait 3 - 5 days for their review.

I am cancelling all services with MJ...I have been a telecommunications professional for more than 20 years and know that if the relationship begins in this manner; it will not lend itself to a satisfied customer...I may pay more for other services but I know what I will get ...there is truth in "getting what you pay for"

I will also be filing a complaint with both the FTC & FCC.

• Mj
    mjuser22 Mar 01, 2010

Chat InformationImportant. Important. If you are not able to make calls or having trouble with your contact list, please Click Here for fix. This will be your best solution. You should not click here if you do not have this problem.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Carmen'

Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK4190101346820X

Carmen: Hello, how may I help you?

New MJ User: yes i just registered a new mj device...i selected the 2nd option not realizing that each person could login and change setting on the one account...

New MJ User: can you remove this number from that account and give it a separate account/email/login etc...

Carmen: Unfortunately, that is not possible since you have successfully registered your two magicJack under 1 account name.

New MJ User: well there was no explanation on that page that asked me to choose an option...

New MJ User: so YOU will have to change it for me now

Carmen: I can't do anything here in our end.

Carmen: You we're the one who did register your magicJack right?

New MJ User: Can I speak to your manager please?

Carmen: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.

Chat InformationPlease wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Junrex'

Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK4190101346820X

Junrex: Hello. My name is Junrex. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat. Thank you.

New MJ User: sure

Junrex: Unfortunately, once you registered two magicjacks in one account. It can't be separated.

New MJ User: can I take the device back to BestBuy...I think I am going to return it...

Junrex: Yes, you can.

New MJ User: we cannot use it that way you have it set up...why don't you allow me to deregister and re-register?

New MJ User: or just confirm deletion of my first registration and I can go back and reregister

New MJ User: with a separate account

New MJ User: i need to give this device another person...but do not want them to change my settings

New MJ User: is that a reasonable request?

Junrex: As what I have said once you registered two magicjacks in one account. It can't be separated.

Junrex: You can only separate it during the registration process only.

New MJ User: THen WHY dont you write something to that effect on the registration page...THIS is really frustrating

Junrex: I understand how you feel but please understand that we are following protocols here.

New MJ User: I will have to get someone else involved. OK...I think I know what needs to be done...Thank you for this conversation.

New MJ User: good bye

• Ka
    kaiden15 Feb 28, 2010

They took my money before I even ordered, this company is more like Magic Jack your money!