Menu
Home Arts & Humanities Leonid Afremov / Afremov.com Fraudulent and scam company

Leonid Afremov / Afremov.com  - Fraudulent and scam company

Author of the complaint
3:01 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We recently found that the paintings sold us as a recreation by Leonid Afremov, was not done by the artist. The family should have multiple canvas signed by Leonid on the back of the blank canvas, and the studio stuff make fast, low quality recreation, when the order received. Smart scam - no overstock plus orders prepaid and money received. Would you believe that the artist made a thousand recreations of his own works, yet in the different sizes to spend his lifetime?!
We were waiting one and a half month from the order day to the shipping date. David Afremov lied us that the reason for a delay of the shipping is low number of stuff. When order finally came, we noticed too many discrepancies with the image posted on website and a very different colors. In addition, the shop that stretched a canvas, told us that the paint is very fresh, it was notable despite of the varnish put on canvas to hide it. The recreation looks OK from the far, but at close look, you can clearly see the fast, low quality work. We have the original painting by Leonid Afremov, bought seven year ago, so we can clearly see that the recreation done by another hand.
After our review on Trustpilot, the business contacting us. First, they tried to advance us that we did not read the description correctly, and they never said that we ordered the recreation done by Afremov. After we provided the description came with our order, Afremov.com offered a refund that we agreed to. They promised to return money in 5 business day, but they did not. On every inquiries, the 5 days refund promise in moving to the later days. Totally scam business. We want to get our money back and let the world know about this scam business and prevent people from buying the colorful junk.

Update by Marina5054
Oct 29, 2020 1:15 am

Charles, thank you for your comments and advise. We realized that painting is fake after we stretched it. Afremov.com asked us to return the "art" in order to provide a refund. Since we already paid for the stretching, we framed the painting and donated it to the local nursing home. We've got several thankful calls from the administration of nursing home, admitting their residents are enjoying our gift. This fact makes us to feel better about our sad story. We received 50% refund after I posted a review on Trustpilot.

Honestly, I think this business should be reported to the Attorney General Office, but, at the same time, I know that nobody will spend time to investigate it, because of insignificant financial harm, plus the business is operating from Mexico. Do you know if there is any professional organization for the artists exists? If yes, they might help to stop this scam.

Update by Marina5054
Oct 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Too sad to realize such a business exist. It seems like a signature on the back of canvas is real signature of Leonid Afremov, and I am very concerned about it. If I am correct, the artist knew about the family plans to sell the fake "art" under his name and promoted this plan.

Helpful? 4 0

Leonid Afremov / Afremov.com - Customs taxes DHL Spain
Leonid Afremov / Afremov.com - Art
21 comments
Jan 09, 2022 3:01 am

Wow thank God I read this... I really wanted a print or something. Which I thought these were prints more so and possibly had been signed by him...But after reading these reviews NO WAY am I buying a replication of his work...:(

1 0

It’s not a scam since the website clearly spells out that the reproductions sold are done by students of Leonid, and the Afremov family owns the rights to the signature they are authorized to apply it to the reproductions.

You haven’t been scammed. You just did what most Americans do: skip over reading anythinf and jumping directly to the shopping cart.

An authentic Afremov might sell for as much as $16, 000. What idiot would think they could buy an original for $180.

I own a 40” reproduction of his Grand Canal portrait. It’s lovely. And I display proudly because I’m not someone who pretends to be able to afford an original from any artist of any renowned and then complain because I didn’t get the actual Mona Lisa.

4 2
Feb 26, 2022 3:01 am

"Please people read what it says in the BIG BOLD TEXT ON THEIR WEBSITE!" - No it does not say this.

"This company is not a scam" - Yes it is. No they are not a delightful studio carrying on the work. It is just another Facebook scam. Just because it has pretty pictures and you got fooled, does not negate that fact.

"Almost every famous artist you’ve ever known has had a studio of people helping them create their works." - LOL right. Almost every famous artist you've ever known was poor and people mostly profited from their work after they died.

Feb 26, 2022 3:01 am

This is not the Afremov family, it's not his "students", and they don't own the rights to his signature.

F
Feb 07, 2022 3:01 am

I bought one because I liked it. There is no way I expected to be original even though there was written that it is hand painted by Leonid. As is this one - https://afremov.com/venice-in-color-stretched.html

It is listed as "Mixed media oil on canvas painting hand-painted by Leonid Afremov, certificate provided" and selling for just $109!

I did notice that on some they state that they are reproductions but surely some are being sold as the author's work and in my opinion that is a scam.

However I still like it and think it's worth it for 109 dollars

Jan 20, 2022 3:01 am

THANK GOD YOU SAID THIS! Please people read what it says in the BIG BOLD TEXT ON THEIR WEBSITE! This company is not a scam, it’s actually rather delightful that his studio and family are carrying on his legacy and sharing his work at bargain costs so we all can enjoy it. And sorry to let you down folks, but almost every famous artist you’ve ever known has had a studio of people helping them create their works.

1 1
Sep 05, 2021 3:01 am

I, too, ordered from Afremov. They sent me "Foggy Path". I instantly realized that this was reproduced by what I imagined was art students practising reproduction. I did not mind so much, especially given that it was an actual "painted" (as in lumps of pain in the texture and on real canvas) except it clearly lacks quality of style of the original artist. There were a few areas in the overall composition that just didn't make sense (coloured in a way that made no sense). Still, overall I accepted it for what it was, particularly at such a low price. I think of it as "a student's rendition of an Afremov work", find peace, and let it go. Incidentally, in my case when I complained about it they send me another one, and said I didn't have to return the first, so now I have two of these "so-so" reproductions. I can't decide which one's mistakes bother me less, so haven't stretched or framed either yet. I posted them here. Can you tell which is the original? Incidentally, I didn't really mean to be on this "complaints board". I just wanted to chime in about my experience. If I thought I could get a "decent" reproduction I would actually like to buy more, but I don't know what I would get.

Sep 05, 2021 3:01 am

NOTE: this site did not post all three photos, and I can't seem to delete my post now. Can I complain to the complaint's board? Hmm...

Aug 22, 2021 3:01 am

People, don't buy Originals or “authentic recreations” announced by afremov.com (or even hand-embellished by Afremov). There's no such thing for sale at that price, you'll receive a poor replica.

There’s no way a single artist would be able to reproduce his art on such a massive scale to the point where they’re still selling hundreds of "Originals" or “authentic recreations” years after his death. These promo paintings reproduce like rabbits. They're out of control.

Aug 15, 2021 3:01 am

Unfortunately I am a bit late, made my payment couple of days ago.

Aug 22, 2021 3:01 am

Check my latest post.

Aug 05, 2021 3:01 am

I also been scammed by receiving an ugly, brown sausage looking version of the RAINBOW painting of Leonid Afremov.
After this framed picture arrived I raised complaint with the Afremov family wanted a refund.
They offered a replacement of a giclee art print with texture finish of the painting, which would resemble of the original Rainbow painting. They have sent a photo of it, which showed an unnatural white colored rainbow . That was unacceptable to us, and was asking for a Refund.
After 3 months of emails to them we still not have not received the Refund, or an answer to our request. Their posted phone number is unreachable, or inaudible too.

Feb 26, 2022 3:01 am

This is not the "Afremov family" it is a scam.

May 12, 2021 3:01 am

I have order a painting from the official site afremov.com, since January 2021, paying 207$, for painting and 59 $ for its frame. I received then a message back, stating that if I want the frame, I.must pay more money for delivery, if not, I will get the 59$ refund. NOW, after 5 months, I have not yet received the painting neither the refund. I contacted [email protected] and they send me a tracking number DHL, which is unfortunately void...!This is outrageous. ?If anyone has some experience on this fraud, what can I do to get my money back?

Y
Mar 22, 2021 3:01 am

I ordered 5 of them, when supposedly his son was selling his inventory and they started flooding the market and the daily emails on the sale etc...I knew I had been scammed. I paid 199.00 each, so I got scammed out of 1000, 00$.
They are still nice, but they are fakes, I gave them away as gifts to friend, but made them aware that they were NOT originals

Oct 31, 2020 3:01 am

As you say, they operate from Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Not much can be done in that country. The saddest thing is that thousands of customers think they have an Original when they don't.

In terms of quantity of artworks, it is probably the largest scam in the art market during this century. Something has to be done. I myself was scammed twice by these people years ago.

2 0
Oct 28, 2020 3:01 am

About the signature on the back you think it might be original... Forget it.
Leonid Afremov was in his own world painting wonderful and amazing art (that's true) and had no contact whatsoever with Afremov business. David Afremov sometimes filmed his father at his home while he was painting for himself (not third party paintings). That was all his contact with the business, being filmed once in a while.
He was used by his two sons to perform a very well executed scam. Very sad.

Oct 28, 2020 3:01 am

Did you get your money back? Try posting your experience on trustpilot.com and sitejabber.com
You will get their attention using those websites and you'll get refund.

Oct 14, 2020 3:01 am

All paintings sold by afremov.com smell fresh. This means they where painted recently and not by Leonid Afremov.

Oct 14, 2020 3:01 am

Hello, you've been scammed like almost all of afremov.com customers. Artist Leonid Afremov passed away more than a year ago (August 2019). Even while he was alive, the Originals sold on afremov.com where not painted by him. Everything is painted at Playa del Carmen offices by any of the 19 artists they have. More experienced artists paint fake Originals and novice artists paint recreations. The company also spams review websites like Trustpilot and Sitejabber using VPN and different false accounts.

This twisted business works because 99% of customers doesn't even know they've been scammed. In terms of quantity of artworks, this is probably the biggest scam in the art market during this century.

Scamming business is conducted by the artist's two sons, David and Boris Afremov.

1 1
Aug 05, 2021 3:01 am

I agree, I was scammed too.

0 1
ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

17 complaints