Leadership Team DevelopmentScam and cheating

A Review updated:

Yesterday I was interviewed for LTD and asked to attend a talk which would give me more details about the company (I didn't even get the name of the company until I asked). I wasn't allowed to keep the rep's brochure for 'tax purposes, ' so I knew something seemed out of place. Still, the talk was free, so I thought it couldn't hurt.

It was revealed during the talk that the 'supplier' of LTD's products is Amway, and as a contractor, the main source of my income would be getting new recruits, rather than selling products. The speaker literally spent about two minutes explaining how LTD and Amway are not pyramid scams (technically they aren't, but they're darn close), and then proceeded to confuse the definitions of a pyramid and a Ponzi scheme.

The worst part was that my current employment situation was used as an example of how bad the economy is, and how it's not as good a means of support as LTD. This is personal information that I did not give the speaker permission to share (he used my name in the presentation). I was later asked questions for demonstrative purposes that I gladly answered, but I still did not appreciate the first time I was used for his presentation.

LTD is supposed to be a web-based business, but it was clear that the speaker does not understand how eCommerce works. LTD's business model appears very weak, and requires constant recruitment to maintain any kind of cash flow. They create 'alternative' websites for companies to sell products, but why would a company need them? If a company can sell a product from its own online store, it makes no sense to pay someone else to sell it for them.

I was honestly tempted to just stand up and warn everyone in the room about this obvious MLM scam, but I opted to cause a scene and instead posted here. I hope the people who attended the talk get a chance to read this.

• Ty
    Tyler Eschle May 29, 2019

Anybody on this thread that is calling out "scam" on LTD has no concept of credible research like looking at what the Dunn and Bradstreet report says or what the Better Business Bureau says. Not to mention that the Federal Trade Commission literally uses Amway's business compensation plan as the gold standard for companies that use a multi-level marketing business model. Furthermore, anyone here who thinks that any company using a MLM model is a scam should probably just waste their time doing something other than spouting uneducated nonsense that may keep others from stepping into an opportunity that could change their lives the way mine has been changed thanks to the mentorship and coaching I've received from the people who accepted me into LTD. Best of luck to everybody in their endeavors.

"Be a fountain for the world, not a drain."

John 459 Apr 14, 2019

Im with another team with amway it it has been a great experience... not for everyone you paid off 300k because, that wasn’t all from amway but a mindset and a couple willing to sit down and help us with a game plan to get out of debt.. I asked for help and they did... my life is a lot better off because and couple gave us direction they have invested in us and help us in many ways. the key is the right coach and team. I have never in 39 yrs has any one mom, dad, teachers, friends have help me like my coaches have.. it’s a people business not perfect but better than working until you drop dead... what’s wrong with getting out debt, and at least you have a chance to become wealthy i’m realistic not everyone will put the work in to get it.. even if it’s helping someone make an extra 500 to 1000 that small amount changes lives... it’s a great thing i’m a better man, better father and better husband... I ask what is wrong with that... paying cash for cars.. when I had neck surgery it cost my 30k thanks to what I a couple helping setting a financial game plan I paid cash for it.. what’s wrong with that when you got 💰there are lot more options you don’t have with insurance what’s wrong with that? what other options do we have get in debt and dept work and play games... the problem is there is lack of real men in this country not willing to do something amazing...

Jay B99 Feb 24, 2019

You are all idiots if youre NOT doing Amway. I know alot of platinums, emeralds, and beyond in the business and after seeing that it works I can conclude that you will all be broke the rest of your life if you don't change your mindset.

• Jg
    JG443 Dec 12, 2018

I was recently approached by a married couple in a local supermarket. We small-talked, discussed some cooking styles and recipes, and next thing I know, we're talking about my current job and future financial goals. At first, I thought this was slightly weird, but then the conversation shifted to them; they spoke of their unhappiness with past careers, and how they knew they needed a change (exactly how I was feeling). They told stories of how they started working for a guy who did marketing and branding for major corporations (Apple, Under Armour, Nike, etc.); then they ended it with stories of how the guy they worked for retired in his 20's. Now at first, all of this sounded like a pitch - what made me think differently was the husband's use of key financial terminology. He said things like "6-figure passive income", "multiple streams of income", etc. Now me being a financially-intelligent individual, I'm very aware of how wealth is created in this country, and that's it! All the things I've wanted to start doing this year, but just haven't created the opportunities for myself; so I thought, maybe this was the time for me to stop talking, and start acting! We exchanged info and so the process begins...

Step 1) INITIAL CONTACT: They reached out to me, and we met up at a local coffee shop to discuss the business opportunity (I still don't know exactly what the business or business model is yet). They told me there was a four-step vetting process to ensure this opportunity was a good fit for both parties. I asked for more details regarding the business, and they would NOT tell me anything - not even the name; RED FLAG #1! They just reassured me of all the potential passive income I WILL be making if the business partners "approve" my partnership into the business. They also gave me a book to read, which spoke to the mindset needed to be a business owner vs. being a consumer. I absolutely loved the book, which is what ultimately kept me going through the process. But I still felt like something didn't feel right.

Step 2) DEBRIEF: About a week later, we met up again to discuss the book. I told them things that resonated from the book, some financial goals I had, and things I'd hope to accomplish within the next few years. They said the program could definitely help. Now prior to this meeting I had consulted with other friends who had been involved in pyramid-based businesses, and they ALL told me the same thing - it sounded like a pyramid scheme. They also told me that usually it's someone's job to get fresh new blood in front of the "guy" who will then present this grandiose opportunity that you are "privileged to be invited to", and try to sell you a service, product, subscription, etc. So with that in the back of my mind, I asked again for more specifics on the business. I still got nothing, but this time they wrote out a McDonald's franchise-owner example, and then talked about Robert Kiyosaki (writer of Rich Dad Poor Dad) RED FLAG #2. They ended the meeting by scheduling another follow-on meeting, but this time I needed to dress up because this is when I get to meet the business partners. It was at this meeting where allll my questions would be answered...

Step 3) HOOK, LINE, AND STUPID: Originally, they told me the meeting would be at one of the partner's house, and they would send me an address. Of course this sounds sketchy; I mean who in today's world would just show up to a random person's house?! I knew once I got the address, if it was someone's house, there was NO WAY I was going. Well the day of the meet, I get an address about 2 hours before the scheduled time. Sure enough, it wasn't someone's house, it was a hotel (good thing for Google maps)... RED FLAG #3! Who lies about the location of a business meeting?! At this point, I knew whatever it was, I didn't want any part of it - but sheer curiosity still had me go. I had to know what it was! As soon as I walk-in, there's a bunch of people congregating near a conference room. I walk over and see "Leadership Team Development" posted on the wall. I'm thinking what the heck is that?? I see my (unknowingly at the time) sponsor. There's about 60-80 people in there, and I knew I was in store for some foolywang. Low and behold, a well-dressed guy walks to the front and the show begins! He starts by showing pictures of his family, following up with stories of being broke, but now achieved financial-freedom; how he gets to sleep-in, has a maid, nice cars, and the list went on. He then went around the room asking others what they'd do with 10, 20, or 30k a month. He showed us pictures of all these people who retired at early ages from the program; pictures of their parties, cars, houses, etc. It was utterly and purely RIDICULOUS. I looked around the room full of mostly college-aged young adults, and saw the excitement bursting in their eyes. He had em before they knew what the business was! I wanted to walk out within the first 15 mins of his presentation. In the 1-hr presentation, he explained the business model and the financial structure (how you actually make money) for a total of 10 MINUTES (no exaggeration). He also called up other "business owners" to share their success stories; they all told stories similar to mine in how they met their sponsors - basically soliciting unsuspecting people who thought they were trying to be nice (like myself).

Now, in knowing everything I know now, I can say this is a legitimate company and legitimate business model. I've seen it 100 different times! No different from TravelZoo, YTB, or Ebates; which are all legit companies. They are incentive- and performance-based businesses solely predicated off of you creating a big network of other suckers who sell products and services so you won't have to. The whole intent is for you to get to the top of the pyramid. Ladies and gentlemen, if that's not a pyramid scheme, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS! The only way you make any REAL money is if your network is big enough; meaning you've convinced enough others to join - there is NO OTHER WAY. Sadly, this is a legitimate business in this country - selling trash to garbage men. And some folks become rich off of it, but I can not.

If you take anything from this post, please just remember this: Any business proposition where someone is selling you on how much money you can make, and ALL the things you can do with it before you even make a dime - they're selling you a PIPE DREAM! Now sure, maybe some people did retire once upon a time and made a boatload of money; but they're not showing you the thousands of people who failed. They're not showing you all the people who used the same system, yet were unsuccessful. It's not a cookie-cutter business; not everyone can be a used-car salesman (which is what you're doing); not everyone can knowingly omit certain things to their advantage; not everyone can sell the same products at a 10-15% markup for their own financial gain. I can't see myself convincing friends, family, or others to buy products from my online retail site, knowing they could get it cheaper elsewhere.

When I finished up my meeting, I told my sponsor he deceived me; he looked at me like I just cursed him. He truly believed there was nothing wrong with his tactics. He admittedly omitted some things, but he felt he did not lie or deceive me. Well guess what the definition of Deception is: "to cause (someone) to believe something that is not true, typically in order to gain some personal advantage". I'll leave you with that.

~To know is strength. Education does grow on trees; literally. Read a book~

John 459 Apr 14, 2019

@JG443 Wow you have no idea... I’m sitting here right now with around 10K ppl ... many ppl making lots of money ... so sad we live in the free enterprise system and every is so quick to analyze something they no nothing about ... the owners worth 8 Billion.. Amway is A + BBB rating paid out over 50BILLIiooooooon they created more millionaires then any other company than anyone else (Expect Microsoft) and its a scam ... wow Think 🤔 for a min look at the facts before you read this stuff from broke ppl who know nothing about money

60 Years been around Government is slow but come on a scam ... Think People God have u a mind use it

• De
    Debby Sanders Aug 13, 2018

Amway offers overpriced products that cant really compete, so most of the buyers are within the program., 97% to be more exact.

LTD offers overpriced training and "tools", but if you are smart enough you can get them for free or a fraction of the cost of what they offer.

So people with the program are paying too much for training, and paying too much for products. BAD combination for business...and THAT nobody says on the training

So yeah, you CAN make money out of this but it would be easier to SELL something that you actually believe in. Don't you think?

• Kc
    Kc314 Oct 12, 2017

At no point has anyone working with LTD/Amway made the impression that it would be easy. They have explained many times that it takes hard work and time. That getting rich quick isn't a reality, but over the course of working your own business for a few years, it can really pay off. Now, I have heard from people I know saying it sounds like a pyramid scheme, and I get the caution. But none of those people are where I want to be in life. None of them are making enough money to live the life they want. In the Info session, clear as day, they show the cost of what it takes to get started, get your website started, username with Amway, and samples to try. They didn't sneak in the the cost or cover it up by telling me later. they were very up front. I just watched one young lady that has been working with the team RETIRE at age 26. There was a big celebration with over 1, 000 people in attendance to celebrate her freedom from her corporate job. Now I am realistic to know that, that might not be me right away or without hard work. I have weighed the pros and cons and looked over every stone I could find to see this business for what it really is, and I see it as a wonderful opportunity. Get rich quick scheme? I don't think so... but currently I am on the 'Get Rich NEVER' scheme by working my 40 hours and climbing the corporate ladder, so I really don't see much to lose. I see a chance to absorb information from successful people and IF nothing else, grow myself that way. But I def see more than that. And plus side, I shop now as I am a consumer, but no where I shop is paying me to shop there. So also, IF NOTHING ELSE, I will make my money back eventually by getting paid back on my purchases from their major partners.

• Be
    bedtime37 Aug 02, 2017

I'm really curious, for those who have spent considerable time working the Amway/LTD system:

1). How long have you been doing it?
    2). How many hours per week do you spend (including seminars, travel time, professional development, in addition to selling)?
    3). How much money have you made (what has been your revenue, expenses and total profit, yearly, monthly or weeky)?

Is anyone willing to share this information?

• Pe
    Peter Coiley Jul 20, 2017

Blogs about 8 years old but I'll give my spin on it. I've been to one of these conferences and have friends involved. There are good people who attend these conferences, I'm not going to say it's a scam or false, but I don't recommend quitting your day job for it. The majority of people at the top of the chain making lucrative amounts of money (which you can make to be fair) have a sales background because that's what this is. They will tell you that you aren't selling any products which is true to an extent. You're selling a potential (and statistically unlikely) future. If someone worked 40 hours a week doing this "recruiting" left and right then yes I think you could actually retire early like they say (recruiting is in quotes because if you say you're not interested they typically don't badger you anymore to the degree most recruiters would). Like businesses prey upon individuals with masters and bachelors degrees, these businesses prey upon those who are more of in a dead end situation. Is it wrong? That's a matter of opinion but this is merely a different business model. Legally speaking, no it isn't a pyramid scam. Will most people recognize it as such, yes most likely. Parker Newell (son of Gary Newell) is a good friend of mine and he does a great job at it and he'll retire early because he's gone about it correctly. I can't bash this because even though I viewed this as something that wasn't for me (Masters in Business Law and Business Administration so I'd have wasted my time doing that), the people who are in it were nothing but courteous and kind to me. People can make money with this, it's just very very difficult and like I said to be making money in the millions with this is statistically improbable. Now that being said, jobs are pretty much the same way, though the income is more reliable and sustainable.

MLestus Feb 05, 2013

You saying that Amway has a lot of money does nothing to strengthen your upline's words. That's like saying that you should go to a casino because they have billions in revenue -- you can be financially free from that enterprise, right?! It amuses me that scamway zombies automatically assume that their critics are proponents of 'the system' of getting an education, going into debt out of their own stupidity and selling themselves short for a job they hate. I got an education (shame on me?), but I didn't sell out my dreams to become a glorified bake sales drone who tries to cover up Amways dirty tracks on message boards. Instead I used the knowledge gained to pursue my own dream in which royalties from my software licenses alone make the peasants of Amway drool. You have dreams? Pursue them. But don't pretend your dreams are being paralleled by selling sub-par cleaning solution and alienating your friends into the same compromising position you've put yourself in.

• Co
    CommonSenseIsNeeded Feb 05, 2013

Or for instance a 21 year old man who has grown into a person who respects himself because I work to live my dream instead of telling others they can't. The fix of the system?? please do explain this latest conspiracy theory. and lets be honest the world is rhetoric... wake up when you don't want to, go to work be told when to be hungry, what to say, when to say it, how to say it, and when you are able to spend time with your family. What I have heard my buisness partners say are things from REPUTABLE people like Dr. John C. Maxwell, Frank Luntz, and Napoleon Hill. I personaly would rather hear sucess principles and people talking about the future and how it will be better than the past than people like you, who we are all around on a day to day basis. It is your intention on here to tell people that the Amway buisness does not work however it almost comes off a little bitter. The funny thing is that your system of going to school, gaining debt, getting a job that pays less a year than your school cost per semester, spending limited time with your family with limited money, to me seems like the scam. Since when does school dictate personality or a persons self worth. since when does a person who saw a plan one time understand a buisness that got 11 billion in sales last year. The thing is you don't know it. all you know is what you have heard or prejudged. Do me a favor bud and define a Pyrimid Scheme and prove Amway is one.

MLestus Feb 04, 2013

I'm not knocking the people (that's too easy), I'm knocking the fix of a system. Look, you can listen to every upline echobox spewing out the same rhetoric or you can listen to some more reputable forces:

And don't reply with 'reputable sources' from inside Amway or misinterpreted wording from Donald Trump (which was a jab at the system). If we want to play analogies here that is like having the used car salesman telling you you're getting a good deal.

• Co
    CommonSenseIsNeeded Feb 04, 2013

Yeah buddy... I have a question for the person who posted this blog... 1st did you pay any attention to the plan? If you had you would see that Amway is a volume based buisness. In Amway you do NOT get payed to sponser nor do you take anyones money. I make more every month than the guy who got me in because I have a why, I do not make excuses and I dont let the bathroom stall of the world.. blogs.. from people who have failed dictate who I will be, and the decisions I've made. To anyone out there who is going to make a choice based off of what this guy has posted please think about this. The people who are talking to you about Amway are good people who believe in free enterprise, and dreams beyond being broke and stepped on. They have strong firm values and if you just talk to them w/o judging them as you, yourself probably do not like to be judged, you will see they are genuine people. This guy is like the bankrupt guy telling you, how best to invest and save money. be your own decision maker listen to the plan and if it makes sense, be mature and make the desision that will best help you in your life. If not then thats fine dont destroy their reputation because you don't understand it. Whats funny is the same people he is sure tried to rip him off were proly just people who this has greatly benifitted and impacted and they wanted to maybe help better his life and here he is dragging their good gesture through the mud because he is overly suspicious. I hope this has helped guys. This is your life dont let me, him, or anyone live it for you. Be your own person and give the hardworking Amway people a chance as they are just like you only they dream a little more and their motives, once you get to know them, are alot more clear. God bless this country and it's free enterprise system!!!

MLestus Jan 05, 2012

BBB Ratings are as easy to fabricate through a false customer base (note the criteria of those ratings) as "google bombing" (another tactic used by Amway/LTD hucksters).

Next BS claim, please.

• Ul
    ultimatextreme22 Dec 18, 2011

click links. nuf said

• Da
    DaveyG1981 Mar 15, 2011

After reading the majority of the comments on here, this is what I have go so far:
    Amway/LDT Sucks
    Amway/LDT doesn't suck.
    I also read that franchises are pyramid scams. Okay ya they are, guy at the top collects a crap load of money for doing next to nothing while the bottom get a small pay for doing a crap load of work. Well what they do have so is a tangible product that they advertise/promote and sell to the public (sometimes for a better price than their competitors). What I haven't seen is what does LDT sell other than problems and programmed responses. I'm not against you making money that way but why not be open about what your selling prices and actual FACTS? Show the actual income statements of people who join this kind of business, rather than saying "you don't agree with us so you will not make it in this world", or "you are a loser for thinking that way" not very intelligible responses from the fans of AMWAY/LDT. So before you fans respond post an Income Statement of your own or your sponsors from the past few years . Would love to see how much your really making.

• Ya
    Yapo Mar 05, 2011

I just got hit up for this 'Management Opportunity' as well. The guy had me go to his website to view a video, and then immediately after the video called me back and asked if I was interested in attending his information seminar or whatever. I immediately told him no, but then did a little digging to see what I could come up with.

Link to promotional LTD video: http://hwcdn.net/m7w2x2u7/cds/pq_final_v5_600kbps.flv
    Also all of their websites are just cookie cutters of each other, not terribly professional for an 'ecommerce company'.

MLestus Feb 17, 2011

@BLynch: Unlike you echoboxing something you heard in a tape or from your upline, some of the critics of this alleged scam actually base their knowledge on facts, evidence and numbers. For example, although Donald Trump DID say he would join an MLM, it was grossly taken out of context (http://mlm.business-opportunities.biz/2005/10/25/donald-trump-and-network-marketing/). Also, there is a reason why the top links on amway/LTD in google typically result to a website exposing them for the scam they are. It doesn't take an "expert" to understand this. It is always an interesting observation to note that when somebody online tries to cover up and deny that they have been involved in this scam - you can tell how long they have been in it based on the amount of rhetoric that they're repeating from a conference or tape they listened to.

• Bl
    BLynch Feb 09, 2011

Donald Trump AND Robert Kiosaki (author:Rich Dad Poor Dad) have both stated that, knowing what they know now, if they had to start over, they would choose a good network marketing company and build initial wealth in order to have capital to invest. I'm going to take their advice over some "expert" on this board who thinks that Googling something and clicking on the top two links constitutes research.

• Bb
    bbcongress Nov 24, 2010

Well, I have read various forms of the argument and I have an insiders point of view that everyone can read. First, do not base your judgements off of everyone's failures and inability to do lack of research or attempt to try and do this business. I was and have been a member for three years. I was sucessful at the degree in which I worked. Most people get in, think they will be millionaires tomorrow and get out with a negative mindset. This business is not set up that way. It will take legitimate effort to recieve legitimate rewards. I did not succeed for the first year. I was young and inexperienced in the businessworld. I had a lot to learn and I had to a lot of work to do. The answer is simple, if you work hard both consistently and persistently, you can achieve high goals and maintain monetary values that can be very rewarding. However most do not do well and quit thus having a negative mindset. My reason for typing is to back LTD with 100% of my beliefs for the integrity of the leaders and system. Through LTD, I was introduced to God. I have never before heard of him in a positive aspect or have been preached to about his works. I am now a minister preaching his loving word. I also was introduced to various skills that are not taught in school systems. These skills helped my business and my life. I have learned financial skills, personality skills, leadership skills, communication skills, and the list can go on and on forever. I am at the point in my life where I could never see a dollar bill again and I would remain in this organization because of the honesty and integrity of its leaders. Although I have been involved in the business for three years, I have learned that I have a passion for wanting to change the world for the better and I believe that I am being led to run for a political seat in congress. I will be running for congress in the upcomming election and will be using the ideas and concepts in which I have learned through the various speakers and leaders on the team. I recommend that anyone join the organization, if not for the money; for the ideas, beliefs, morals, and values that they teach to their memebers. Money aside if you do well or not, you can succeed in life through the messages and ideas that they teach. I look forward to serving each and every single member of LTD and not of LTD in Congress in the future. Your future Congressman, Brian Burelison.

• Na
    Nakarumi Oct 19, 2010

Amazing debates between both sides of the argument. I wish I had time to read them all. Overall, I can see that this is a very opinion based issue whereas the only "cold hard facts" provided are nearly all from the "agree" side of the table. I can understand why people would be upset or would view the opportunity as a "scam". It is highly adversarial to the "usual" way of making money for the generic public. However, so long as it's legal, why would it be looked down upon to try something different? Black were different when they first entered, or rather dragged over, the USA. Whites detested them and the treatment they dealt out was horrible. Did that not change? A more current issue would be homosexuality now a days. Just because it's different or alternative does it make it wrong and/or illegal? No, it doesn't. I'm not exactly saying that I agree with one side or the other but rather how I'm disappointed in how "closed" people tend to be when expressing their thoughts. Not only are people "closed" but they also become entirely too defensive when anything is prompted that may oppose their opinion. It is okay to disagree but don't push your opinion on others. At the same rate, people shouldn't be so impressionable either. It's great to hear other perspectives and opinions but do not let them control you. Find your own thoughts and opinions and allow the facts, not the thoughts, guide you to where you want to go and/or accomplish. :)

MLestus Oct 15, 2010

Once again, a ScAmway drone spouting off the pre-programed responses that they have heard in the tapes they pay every week for.

Ralene - it's the internet. People won't give out their real names to strangers. It's sad, right?

As for them "spreading negative to others" I know you can't look past your brainwashed ideals but those people you automatically deem as losers, dream stealers and quitters seem to be speaking out of personal experience or some logic (note: some). Take it as a warning sign. There is a reason why ScAmway discourages people from watching TV, reading about them on the internet, and even mentioning the Amway name to potential new prospects during their plan-showing meetings. Amway/LTD and whatever new name is used to help mask it's true roots is in every sense of the word -- a scam. It is a psychological masterpiece. You're constantly bombarded by their rhetoric and hype to avoid the chance of you seeing any other point of view besides theirs. What if you do happen to see another point of view? That's okay. You simply train the Amazombies with those oh-so-repeated responses of somebody being a "loser", "dream-stealer", or simply someone not making the best of their life.

Members of Amway are misguided by greed. How do you disguise this worship for the mighty dollar? Cover it up with religious pretext. Notice how they heavally integrate religion into their meetings/services/tapes? There is a reason for that.

So yes, to an Amway-zombie this is nothing more than "spreading negative". That's okay, though. This is all they are capable of seeing it as. Spend a week, no, a month off of the tapes, seminars and you will drastically think different. No, I am not speaking from experience of my own per se. I had the (dis)privelage of seeing at a high level of my closest friends alienating themselves from normal society with the hopes of early retirement and all the greedy dollars they can dream of.
    The problem with the "Amway Dream" is that you will eventually wake up from it, only to realize you have been living in a nightmare.

• Ra
    Ralene M Oct 13, 2010

I just love how the critics who feel so strongly about these complaints don't have the courage to even use their real name.
    I just don't understand why people would trust the opinion of someone with a random scrambling of letters and numbers as a means of identifying themselves.
    Nothing is for everyone, but why do people feel that it is their duty to spread negative to others.
    Your opinions don't help anyone.
    Successful people don't have time to fill out crap on the internet or to scour the internet for "credible information" before making an informed decision.
    They don't have time because they are out doing something with their lives, making themselves successful.
    People are free to not agree with Amway (which by the way is the #1 Health and Beauty retailer online for the 7th consecutive year and has steadily grown in a down economy year after year AND has produced more self-made millionaires second only to Microsoft) or LTD, but people are also free to agree with it as well.
    They are not only free to agree with it, but they are free to actually do something with the opportunity and make it work for them.
    Nothing legit is "get rich quick" or "something for nothing"- to be successful in Amway backed by LTD it will take work and commitment, but personal and financial freedom is so worth it.

Besides... success is the greatest revenge.
    While you are sitting in your basement typing up anonymous negative crap online, hundreds and thousands of Independent Business owners are driving around town with no day job and no financial struggle... so who really wins?

I encourage you all to think- To look up reputable resources like the Better Business Bureau or the Federal Trade Commission and not random sites started by dream stealers and quitters.

• Wi
    william8 Oct 10, 2010

Had A bad experience myself I am getting out. There are some good people in there but the thing is to them it's all about the "raw raw raw" attitude. When they don't realize they are losing good hard earned money. Take a step back and really look deeper in this financial picture here. Just see what you are losing. Then take at a look at what you will be building and growing. The problem is they will tell you to do this in what I believe to be old fashioned. Not to mention for their own benefit not for yours. I will explain that in a moment but when people realize they actually have to build the business they run and hightail it to the hills. Now back to what I was about to say a moment ago. When I was recruited in there was the leader of the group and needless to say I tested him to see if he was a true leader. Well I did as he had told me got the napkin wrote down a few friends and family and well he and I called them up for the Grand opening. well about four people showed so no big deal right then. After that got a few calls sold a couple of tid bits here and there. Then my team leader was calling me to weekly meetings $5 a weekly meeting then after that I felt as tho I was in desperation mode. Started driving doing more grand openings doing them quite well I might add. Still no results so finally I resulted to at last call my mother. Good lord did she have a lot of people she knew well the person that was the leader of the team came over started writing down names. At that point I felt very uncomfortable come to find out about 3 weeks later when I tried calling a few they had told me that they had gotten contacted my team leader. He never even mentioned my name and wanted to set up a grand opening to buy from his sight. So finally needless to say I got fed up. After signing up with a combination of LTD+AMWAY $350. After going to function another $200. Then you gotta get that CEP. Witch is filled with no more than bogus success story's with it teaching you nothing $45 a mo. X5 is $225. Ok now you have not got your 50/150 you gotta get that to get the $50 witch I came 3 points shy out off spending my own money on this and the customers did not pay up so I could not sell the product so that was another $290. Then time for the weekend they pulled me over and what this I go in there have $15 at the door. Ok Ok then summits coming up $20 for that day for the bus then I had bought another $70 in samples for a product that does not even work. Then summits coming up that's when I put up another $100 then one more weekend meeting. After the meeting they where needing the rest of the bus money and they needed cd's back that they let me borrow that's when it finally clicked in my head. This is never going to change my money is going to keep dropping for all this "raw raw raw" rubbish. If you ask me yes LTD is a scam if you truly think about it yes yes yes all the way. It is a scam they are beyond shady not to mention there are other companies like them that are affiliated with them the thing is. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN UP WITH THEM!!! You can make money by signing up with Amway even if its a few extra dollars a month. The second you sign up with these bozo's tho on the other hand they latch on to you like a leach and tell you after sucking you dry you can make it in this businesses all I need you to do is keep feeding LTD money so I can make ends meet with my comfortable life style. When I told my team leader that I wanted out that's when he had told me smilingly well you where not going anywhere in this business to begin with like he was mocking me thinking that my losing hard earned money that I sweat and bled for was funny. Come to find out later I was talking to my mother about this and she had told me that she had lost over $6000 dollars in the business I should be glad I hopped ship at $1270 and that's not including the weekly meetings so go ahead if your reading this and your in LTD and your leader is showing this as a example. Take a nice good look at your finances LTD is just what they like to call a quote on quote "a training company" amazing what you can find on the web these day's. Because on a few of the Information disks they had said "honey is it cool if I screw up our finances" Not to mention once you get off your high and question the masses they would devour you like a wild pack of wolves hypothetically speaking. So this is my warning not to get in this training program there are other opportunities out there starts searching and don't give up the fight.

MLestus Sep 27, 2010

So funny/depressing/amusing to see the LTD/Amway zombies spouting out their pre-programmed responses that they ripped off of some CD of they week they shell out their lunch money for. I've been approached by 3 people so far about this. When I respectfully declined, I'm all of a sudden not their friend anymore and they completely forget it.

In the meetings they will tell you not to watch TV, or read about Amway/LTD on the internet. I wonder why?

• Di
    Diamond2012 Sep 19, 2010

correction: they made about $500ish from a bonus check (based on % and points of the product they moved(those who saw a business plan would be familiar with this part)) and the rest was from the sale of product (the retail mark up).

• Di
    Diamond2012 Sep 19, 2010

my parents made over $1, 000 last month. they sold product to friends and family. they have 2 people in their team. neither of those people did anything that month. the money they made was off the difference between their cost and retail cost from selling product (not any different than Mary Kay).

here's how it could work. if they help someone else do that next month, then they will (round about numbers) make $135 for helping that person make over $1, 000.

• Ga
    Galtonymous Sep 19, 2010

First, I will admit right off the bat that I am involved with Amway and LTD. That's where I'm coming from. I've been around LTD for about two months now, attended some events and many of the weekly meetings in my area, and counseled in-depth with my personal sponsor and their line of sponsors as well. My second shameful admission is that I plan to give honest and hopefully helpful answers to some of the comments made here, or questions that will later be asked.

I'd like to clarify a few things. First of all, the $220 fee to become involved in the business is (mostly) optional, refundable, and not a cent of it goes to anyone in your line of sponsors. The only way to make money off of a recruit is to get them to make money themselves. The best way to earn from them is to make them profitable, and the more profit they generate through product sales, the more revenue you see in bonuses from those sales. You make money off of people, yes, but not unless they make money first.

Second clarification is that business support materials, often the matter of logical concern about Amway/LTD, are optional. Now I admit I have no idea how other teams or locations within LTD provide support materials, but within my group of sponsors it is in the form of self-improvement books, and CDs, which are part inspiration part blog and part how-to. Do I buy the books recommended? Yes. They're the type of reading I would suggest to anyone, like "How to Win Friends and Influence People." That book is phenomenal for improving interpersonal skills and I personally feel like it has bettered my relationships. It's not an LTD or Amway book, it's a good book recommended to me by an LTD associate.
    --As for the CDs, they are not strictly necessary, but I have personally found them useful as a way to focus myself. They are mainly personal stories and advice, and when listening to them I can draw inspiration for my own life, like deciding to more strictly budget myself so as to afford future opportunities. Will I begin to subscribe to these CDs weekly? Maybe. The only pressure I've received to subscribe to these CDs comes from people who highly recommend them and are personal subscribers. Honestly, if that's the best type of pressure a large scam could muster, it puts them in league with the high school kid at the back of the bus that tried to sell weed to everyone.

Third is the expenses of running a business. I admit sometimes these seem to be hidden until it comes time to pay them, then they are explained almost as an afterthought. But I decided to pay some of them and not others. For example, registration was an easy choice, and I paid it. The cost of registration was announced to me the first day I heard of Amway/LTD. An example of a hidden cost was that when I was told that some profit would be made by purchases I made from my own site, the true amount of expected expenditure was never quite made clear. This I admit as a legitimate concern. However, I would contend that a good deal of the money I've spent on my own products I believe I would have spent anyway. I often bought energy drinks and vitamins, and now I buy them from myself for slightly increased price, and get a product I feel is improved.

--As for one subset of business expenses, I will tell you outright that the LTD events I have attended or plan to attend are at cost, and sometimes great cost. In fact the combined cost of the two most expensive events is greater than the cost of originally starting a business. Yet knowing this I attended anyway, and will continue to attend. Why? I like them. I went to a summer conference as my first event mainly because it was a cheap vacation and it gave me an excuse to show off my new suit which, for the record, was very stylish. Once there I found that the event was as much as it was advertised to be; it was fun, it was inspirational, and it allowed me to network with people who were not only of similar interests but much of the time very successful. It was a meet-and-greet with people I later found were making their yearly salary entirely through their Amway business, and I already knew them as "Dave, the only other guy who still believed in the timeless fashion of the paisley tie." Come to think of it, I've spent far more than a hundred dollars attending a concert of my favorite band, performing in another state. All I got from the concert was a ringing sensation in my ears and a parking ticket... I feel that even the most expensive conferences are worth my money not as business requirements, but as a fun weekend with people I like. If I didn't like them, I wouldn't go.

The most troubling accusation I've seen is that Amway or LTD is a cult. Now the canned response to that from the sponsors I've talked to is, "Well, what's a cult? If it's a group of people who learn to be successful through entrepreneurship then yeah we're a cult." However, some of that canned and clichéd response rings true. The best definitions of cult I found were mainly religious in nature, and if someone would like to provide a more clear definition of cult I'd appreciate it. But based on the only definition of cult I know, yeah LTD and my team are a non-religious cult. They are exclusive like a cult, because not everyone chooses to be a member. They have rituals like a cult as well; there are weekly meetings to recognize those who are succeeding, and retirement parties for those who are making enough money to be able to walk out from their jobs. One ritual is that when a member of the organization in my area becomes "free" (make enough money to walk away from full-time employment 'forever') they are invited on stage to smash their electronic alarm clock with a good-ol'-stars-and-stripes sledgehammer. But if all it takes is exclusivity and rituals, what isn't a cult? Any group of friends with a special handshake or 'lingo' is a cult by that standard.

--Now maybe that's not really a fair definition. We all know a cult when we see its members, so how do we spot them? In a word, devotion. More specifically, devotion despite logic and reason, especially pertaining to beliefs that cannot be substantiated. The guy on the corner who yells about the apocalypse and miniskirts being a one-way ticket to Hell is a decent example (and makes for decent comic relief in this absolute wall of text I'm posting). And yes, there are two times in a person's LTD career where they show this behavior. First is when they're faking it. They see a whole group of very excited people, and mimic their phrases, their excitation. The new person claims to be very upbeat and hopeful simply because they think that's how they're supposed to be, but anyone outside of Amway/LTD sees right through this facade in a heartbeat and is unnerved by it. I have been an example of this in the past, and I'm not so proud of that. I basically just wanted people to think that if they met the team they would be happy they had. I didn't know the reasoning behind the excitement, I just got caught up in it.
    --The second time this show of excitement and devotion occurs is after you have seen enough evidence to personally convince you that excitement is in order. Once a person believes that yes, people do make money off of the business and yes, it can and does work and yes, the people who make money do want to teach me how, they are ecstatic. They believe that they will find success and this makes them hopeful and exuberant. Some would argue that this belief is unsubstantiated, but the evidence would seem to be against that belief. Say whatever you want about Amway and LTD, as there are many legitimate flaws and pitfalls to discuss, but do not say no money can be made with them. I have personally attended parties for colleagues who quit their day job to live off of Amway profits. Money can be made, and it is being made. I'm not arguing much of what I say as absolute fact, but this one thing I will contend with any doubters. I'm not saying it as a positive or negative statement, only a true one. People do make money.

Now for this post I will dispel one last notion, and that is actually an LTD notion that a significant income takes only 15 or so hours a week. Everyone I speak to in the business references time compounding and leveraging and swears to me that the 15 hour work week is true to its very core. But I simply haven't found it true. On my drive to classes and work I choose to listen to LTD CDs for motivation, and that is time put toward my business. In my free time I read books about self-improvement, personal relations, goal-setting, budgeting, etc., and all of that time spent reading is time put towards my business. It helps me in other areas, but it is most definitely business-related time expenditure. Meetings and events, while fun and energizing, are business-related time expenditures. In order to make a significant income in the business I've seen around my team and sponsors, you do need to give up free time. For me, the NCIS rerun addiction had to end. I chose to delete a rather expansive collection of video games. I ended my netflix because I realized I spent hours each week trying to find the cheesiest sci-fi movies I could on instant-play. I chose to give all of these things up and replace them with time expenditures that were work related. Did I sacrifice time that way? Hell yes. The video games alone were about 4 hours a day I sacrificed. Do I regret it? Hell no. Better to waste time making money than waste time leveling up my game character or watching reruns. But bottom line, the 15-hour work week is a stretch, if not a lie.

That's all for now. I'll try to check back periodically because I just know that I probably said something stupid or made a typo that someone will catch me on. I'll try to be rather unbiased in this and future comments, but I'm going off of my personal experience. If I am wrong I'd like to know; it's my money I'm spending and my time I'm investing. If someone has some hard proof I'm a sucker, it would be good to see it sooner rather than later.

SaraMcMason Sep 12, 2010

I was "referred" by someone I hadn't talked to in 3 yrs to the "Nashville" Team. Thanks for all of the non-brainwashed people on here, please keep informing everyone about this company! Though it is legal, and I'm fairly sure anyone who "joins" could benefit in it, I personally could not be involved in the business tactics, ethics, ect. of this company. In fact, it makes me sick.

• Ak
    AKB2010 Aug 20, 2010

After building our Amway business part-time for about four years, my husband and I both transitioned to working from home so we could be with our 6 month old little boy. We both held very professional positions and our involvement with Amway did not conflict in any way, in fact, it made us better at our jobs resulting in several promotions and increased income. We use all the Amway products and have helped some of our family members transition as well. They feel they are getting a quality product at a fair price and helping us out at the same time. As for our team, no one thinks we're taking advantage of them...all we ever hear is THANK YOU!! The LTD biz opportunity is not a job, but it is a legitimate opportunity for those who want more than what a 9-5 can provide.
    My husband and I are in our late 20s, financially secure, and will not be returning to the corporate world.
    Every morning when my little guy wakes us up, and I get to spend my morning playing, reading and napping, it just serves as confirmation that I made a GREAT decision!!
    Please find out the actual facts, and talk to real people who've succeeded before you form an opinion.
    Above all else, if you were part of LTD and decided to quit, then man up and admit that you chose to not do what it takes to make it work. Calling it a scam after well-intentioned people tried to help you is just shameful.

• Pa
    Pants Aug 07, 2010

I got cut off there,

ok
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Me
    10 people ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... [protected]
    their 10 ... ... ... ... [protected] [protected] [protected] ... 100
    then all of their 10 people. [protected] [protected] [protected] ... 1000
    Something looks like a pyramid... opps.

With cash always flowing upwards as commissions go to the person who recruited you and on up just a smaller cut for each level.

What would be the ultimate way to prey on weak minded fresh graduates of high school looking to make some money? The best way to do this would be to call yourself a group, use religion and other influential sources, peer pressure, harassment, threats and intimidation.
    This is called LTD - Leadership Team development, stay as far away from this as you can if you have a conscience, you you want to screw people over and manipulate others to get rich, you might do well here otherwise if you have morals stay away.

• Pa
    Pants Aug 07, 2010

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate,
    contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and
    unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the
    discomfort of thought." - John F Kennedy

f you are in possession of this revolutionary secret of business, why not prove it and be hailed as the new Adams? Of course, we know the answer. You can't do it. You are a fake.

Let us get serious for one second, Amway and Quixar(sp?) are not pyramid schemes, they are legitimate independent businesses that sell good to others in order to profit. The problem lies in the simple fact that the good are at such an amazing mark-up that no one is willing to purchase goods legitimately. This is the reason they can pay you commission on your sales if you can make any without forming a "Group" or cult pyramid scheme.

I will tell you how this pyramid scheme would theoretically work if I were one to make such a scheme.

First you start your independent business, and make sure that you receive commission from people you recruit. Then go out and talk to people convince them that this is a great opportunity, get them to purchase items from their own businesses, thereby saving money because they will receive commission back. so now you have 10 "Friends" or "members" under you doing this. then you let them know they should do the same each get at least 10 people under them so they can get more commission. You will also get a small portion of that commission also. Then those 100 people get 10 people of their own. Now we have achieved 1110 people that you alone are receiving commission from, and never having to sell a single product. Everyone is spending $300 a month in their own businesses store providing everyone above them with a certain percentage commission.

So what you end up with
    Me
    My ten people ...
    then all of their 10 people ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

• Pi
    pinkfloyd Aug 04, 2010

I was at one of your meetings yesterday. it was almost like few people there were actors.

Basicly the guy stands there and give speech how you can make so much money by spending 15 hours a week..etc later you meet with your couch and he or she will reveal that you have to pay 200 dollars.

This is noting but pyramid scheme. If such thing was that true the speakers would just hired some hourly paid people and become billioners. please dont fall for this guys. If you go anywhere and they claim you can make money easy it's untrue.

There is no easy way to become rich and sucessful in business world. It all takes motivation, hardwork.

Dont let the nicely dressed man fool you with his made up stories.

Good luck

• Mi
    michael12scott Jul 26, 2010

The business model, ag and ltd, is meant to help a brand new person build a balanced business, one where there id Duplication. McD's was losing money when he had a bunch of stores open up but had no one really wanting to work because they didnt own the business. when he turned the indiv. mcd's managers into owners, his business and the owners business boomed. people dont monitor hours when you own the store or your own business. if i logged all the hrs i took in my time with ag and ltd it would be insane. i dont choose to have it on from 6pm-8pm everyday and after that say sorry i cant sell you any products, im closed. sorry i dont want to meet new people, its 8:05. and the money you spend?? think of it this way, if you want to be a rock star, you want to go to all the concerts, find out what they do that you cant do yet. if you are in college you want to find a good job you INTERN for one, whichif u didnt know you pay to work for. the conferences are to bring leaders from LTD, to get our minds right. christian mens retreats, best example, you put thousands of fellow christians in a collosseum and they are jacked about there lives spritually and afterwards there is something that happens, they arent around all there other male friends who are christians and have there backs spritually, they are in the world. jus like in the business, you can turn ur back on what you heard, and waste all that money, or u can decide to use what you learned and take that step. im not saying it will work, and something bad wont happen or in the sense of the business someone wont say no jus because you used that info, they specifially state a disclamer for that reason, but the road to financial independence has been paved, and he exact steps can be duplicated, and duplicated, and duplicated, for the rest of time. but if you dont use them, yea it might work. but if it doesnt work, then dont complain. and for all those '5-15 hrs a week w.e thats a lie' cry babies, its simple. not easy. if it were easy everyone would be in business and rich too. it takes focus.

• Tr
    TruFreedom Jul 04, 2010

Amway is cool; LTD is the big scam. It’s sad that Amway gets the blame for the mess that Brit World Wide (BWW), World Wide Dream Builders (WWDB) and LTD created over the years. LTD does not teach real business but keep you occupied with insignificant details that are designed to distract you while the system (books, cds, seminars, rallies) sucks all the hard earned money out of your pockets.

The foundation of any business is customer satisfaction, and I don't believe that you need to read from a "top 20 book list" in order to learn how to conduct a real business. If customer satisfaction is not your primary focus: If you don't like providing useful products and services and if you don't have a heart for business, then don't waste your time getting involved with any business opportunity.

Do what you truly enjoy doing for a living knowing that God is your father and he will provide for you on the bases of how valuable you are to him. You are worth the blood of his Son. So if he did not withhold his Son from you, why would he withhold anything else from you?

• Gl
    GLG Jun 21, 2010

I also was a victim of this but was lucky enough to realize this was a pyramid scheme. I was lead to the thought it was for a job interview. I thought I was going to do website development, as the person who contacted me kept saying this company is for businesses in transition to online. Horrible company. Waste of time. I was mislead to this meeting where they talked so vague until the price of $200 came up. Not only to mention the products and materials you need to buy.

The day you have to pay your boss for work is the day pigs fly.

• El
    Ellemme Jun 18, 2010

I'm just getting Started in LTD so I don't know much about it. However, I do know that I have a friend who is already making thousands of dollars. I do know that a lot of people fail while doing this. I also think it very naive to quit ones job and/ or think that this should be your main source of income. Also, there are a lot of people who profit from and Love LTD/Amway. You get out of it what you put into it. And yes your up line does profit from your success but so do you. And I've never had to pay for any CD's they were all given to me or lended to me through my up line. In fact I haven't had to pay for anything yet because my business paid for my registration. The basic truth of the matter is no, LDT/amway is not a scam. It's not for everyone but, it's also not a scam. They want to find the right people and motivate them to succeed ultimately because thats how they succeed. And honestly you can look at ANY business in the world, and thats just how its going to work. Nothing is fail prof: not ur job, not this, not stocks and bonds and not real estate either. Robert Kiyosaki Charges HUNDREDS of dollars for his books tapes games and seminars, (And I do support Robert myself) but no ones calling him a scam... oh wait yes they are. But that's what happens when ppl fail, the blames gotta go somewhere.

• Lt
    ltdont Jun 11, 2010

People that "claim" they are making money, how much are you really making? Before or after expenses?

• Ki
    kingdom warrior May 22, 2010

Can I just say this to all the LTD members. If you have been in for over 2 years and havent seen a profit yet...why do you stay in this business? This can work and make money but its not for everyone. Plan and simple. I dont care who your personnel mentor is or how many hours you put in. Its just not for everyone. Do you think that owning a Subway franchise is always going to be successful for everyone? Is every subway restaurant profitable?

So with that said...how many of you guys are seriously making more money from the business then you are spending into it? I dont want to hear that every business has costs and expenses b/c your $300 to spend on amway isnt a business expense. Its you shopping at a higher price is all. Also if your mentor was good enough or caring enough why wont he just give you his own books and cd's to read. I mean wouldt a good person give you things for free? Oh thats right the more money you spend on LTD is more profit for your upline.

I mean seriously now, the books you read are you not learning anything yet? Robert Kiyosaki says the best way for an average individual to get rich and build wealth is by investing in stocks. hmmmm...are any of you guys doing that? Let me tell you something.

Oh and about that job thing. I am making right now $230k a year between my wife and I through our jobs and stocks. Its a recession still in the US right? Oh but b/c I am open minded to success and making money I have succeeded by learning from my mistakes. One of them was by being in the business. Yes I am a quitter. I quit LTD b/c I wasnt making any money. Or you going to laugh at me b/c I have a job and I invest my money and now I am debt free with only a mortgage left?

How about you LTD members stop being so closed minded in thinking that Amway is the only way to be successful. B/c last I checked theres only a handful of them who are truly making money. If its not for you its not for you. Its okay to quit and find something that will work for you in trying to be successful. If it works for you then great. Congrats and I hope you make it to a level of diamondship or even emeraldship. Its time to wake up and smell the coffee though folks. A good business mentor will tell you too when its time to shut the doors down if you keep losing money and not making any money.

• Re
    RetailKing May 10, 2010

I'm going to start off by saying that I am a part of LTD and Amway Global. It has been six months since I've started and I'd like to offer some facts. I am selling products and have not yet added anyone to my team. Through retailing alone I am making about $114.00 profit. I pay for the CD's the web office tools and all of the other stuff; all in all I spend about $600 a month on tools and personal product use. My customers all apreciate the service I give them and the products they buy. Vitamins, make up, energy drinks and cleaning supplies are the products I sell. As far as Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods and all those other companies being associated with us... good for them. We make the most money on Nutrilite, Artistry and Legacy of Clean so that's what I sell.

I know this requires lots of work but for me it's worth it. The point of my message is this; stop fighting. LTD members should be ashamed of themselves for lashing out at others. That's not the correct response for anyone who would be a figure of character. Those of you who think this is a scam are entitled to your opinion. We live in America and there are many of things that make this country great. To me it is LTD and Amway. To you maybe it is working a stable job at a gas station, college or major buisness firm. All I have to say is to each his own. God bless you all, I hope you prosper in all of your ventures.
    -Casey

• Ka
    kaspjj May 06, 2010

This guy is a grade A ###! Way to comment on something you know nothing about...way to quit and be one of the losers that decided not to waste our time...can't fix stupid...that's why there's a filter...and you didn't pass through it! This is for bright and ambitious people...you are obviously not one of them. Thanks for your complaints, no one cares...because the people we are looking to work with; realize that you are a ###...so your not having any effect.