ION Orchardpicota nail spa - price gauging and coercive, aggressive sales tactics

I am writing to complain about the tenant Picota Nail spa. On Saturday 7th of Sep i visited the salon to remove nail polish from my toes. I was forced to choose a colour to reapply, despite telling the sales person several times I did not want any nail polish reapplied because I had my 4 year old daughter with me who couldn't wait until the completion of a pedicure.
The sales person persisted and pretended she couldn't understand English so I gave in and chose a colour. At this point I asked how much the pedicure would cost and was told $58 total for a packed of, colour, massage, scrub and pedicure.

A few minutes later a second sales person approached and started massaging my arms. Unbeknownst to me, that would be an additional charge of $40. She also sprayed some oil on my arms and that too would be an additional cost.

Whilst this was happening the lady doing my pedicure started scaremongering me, saying I had sever nail fungus and pushed an expensive product on me to buy. I felt something was off & my response was I would see a doctor about and asked her not to polish my nails if fungus were present. Again she wouldn't take no for an answer and backtracked, saying it was safe to paint my nails. We were going back and forth about cancelling the nail polish but she got aggressive and pushy, so I caved in.

Next she mentioned she would add soap to the foot bath and it would be an additional cost of $1 (which I agreed to). It turns out she charged $10! The additional costs and charges continued to mount without consulting me and without my agreeing to them. $20 to remove the existing nail polish, $25 for a foot massage (which was already included in the package I agreed to pay initially), $108 for nail polish, extra charge for paraffin spray... this continued until they racked up an invoice of $298!!!

I argued that what the sales person had done was unethical and wrong and again she got aggressive and made me sign an invoice with all these additional costs. Again the salesperson insisted i was wrong and that was the cost I had to pay.

My 4 year old was agitated and upset at this point as she realised I was angry so I paid, reluctantly.

I immediately called my credit card company American Express and froze the payment, lodged a police report and also a complaint with the consumer association of Singapore .

These people are obviously thugs and their rorting and scamming must be stopped! They are not only tarnishing the reputation of ION Orchard but are also ruining Singapore's image to tourists, leaving us with a bad taste.

It is apparent from their google reviews that I was not their first victim, instead this is a common occurrence. They prey on vulnerable tourists who are out of their comfort zone to extort them of astronomical amounts.

If required, I can be reached on mobile +[removed] or via email on [protected]@gmail.com.

Thank you.
Marika Partridge (née Papaeleou).

Mp
Sep 08, 2019

Comments

•   Sep 09, 2019

“shy, so I caved in” instead of saying no.

•   Sep 09, 2019

@SubSquirrel She did say no multiple times. I just don't believe they don't sell nail polish remover to the general public!

•   Sep 09, 2019

Is nail polish remover not available to the general public???

•   Sep 09, 2019

OMG I'd move to America. My pedicure is 30 dollars and it comes with wine.

However, I'm not too happy about your four year old being as agitated as you say. How is she when you have to wait in a long line? Post office, emergency room? I'd look into that.