Complaints & Reviews

Hughes Internet Serviceterrible service and false advertisement

The service at this company totally stinks. The people that you try to talk with cannot speak good English and they have standard answers. My internet download speed sucks 8 hours out of 24. Of the remaining 16 hours, we sleep approximately 8 so that only give us about 8 hours of what is suppose to be quality service. Every day at 4:00 PM the speed drops from the low to mid 700kbps to the mid to low 80 kbps. It stays this low until new day starts at 12:00 AM. I have called at least 30 times and no help. Then all of a sudden my speed is up and stays up for about a week and then back down.

I have looked else where but the only thing that even comes close to good service is WildBlue. When my speed is low the people that I know that have WildBlue their download speed is 900-1000 kbps. Am looking at this service but have not changed yet. There really ought to be something that we, as a group, could do to get Hughes Network Systems on the carpet for illegal advertisement.

Might as well forget it, don't guess that we stand a chance.

LaMar.

• Cb
      cbowers Jul 01, 2008

Contact the state attorney generals office and the better business bureau in your area and file a complaint. If enough people file a complaints, something will get done.

• Cb
      cbowers Jul 01, 2008

We are experiencing the same problem. Tech says speed of 17 kbps is good, but we have documentation that speed is normally up to about 7oo kbps. They are in breach of contract. We have been paying for a service they don't seem to be able to provide, all they are interested in is the money they collect every month. We must stick together.

• Bu
      Buddhaman Jul 02, 2008

I had Hughes Net for almost 2 years. I was paying $100.
      a month for a service that worked part of the time and then it was super slow. Broadband what a joke. I was finally able to get DSL and it is a godsend. I cancelled Hughes over 2 months ago and their equiptment is still here. They want me too spend another hour on the phone talking to someone I can't understand to get it removed. It can rust away before I call them again.

• Ka
      Kay Arnold Jul 18, 2008

I am upset I have been trying to terminate my contract with them. I called them to terminate on May 29th they said they told me that I had to call them back on the 25th of May. I have been traveling and without my mail or computer for two months and find that they have charged my credit account twice and won't undo the charges so says Lola in the Philippines. I really don't like it when I have to deal with people in other countries about business that is supposed to be American.

My advice is don't deal with them at all if you can help it.

MARJ Aug 14, 2008

I have Wild Blue and don't recommend you change to it. Our complaints about it are same as yours are about Hughes!

• Oh
      ohsherri Sep 14, 2009

My Aunts internet service has never worked since day one and she pays $ 71.00 a month. She is 69 yrs old so I have repeatedly call the peovider and they want to charge her $125.00 to send out a tech. We have went through all the process on the telephone and the connection is slower then dail up. But they arrsure us it is working ok. She can't attach files and the computer always says internet connection problem contact server. They won't work with us. We go over everything IPP ect and this dosen't change a thing. We want to cancel service but she has a contract for two yrs and they will charge her over $400.00 to do so. They are robbing her blind. She pays monthly for a service that dosen't work. Do not get Hughes internet service, you will be sorry you did so.

• So
      somecallemwaffles Sep 14, 2009

It IS possible that something is amiss with the computer. It may be worth your while to have the system checked, especially if it as older system. There are any number of problems that could affect Internet connection and speed. If you don't want Hughes to do the diagnostic there are any number of other companies who can do it for you. Its typically cheaper to take the computer to them, but they can test the internet connection if you have them come to the house.

Additionally, if you have a friend with a laptop they could bring it over and try the internet connection on their computer. In the event the laptop also has problems connecting then call back and have them explain why two different computers have the same problem.

• Sn
      snickers88 Dec 29, 2009

My service from Hughes net was so slow so I called them. Apparently because of some so called fairness act, all hughes net customers are only allowed a 300mb download per month. If you exceed this download limit, your internet will be slow and worthless. Here's the kicker, the tech directs me to Hughes services website where they will sell you tokens for $7.50 a piece and you will again have super fast internet. They also give 1 free token per month. I don't know about anyone else but doesn't this sound like it should be illegal. I mean, we are paying for service aren't we??? And how exactly does that make it fair for all hughes net customers, whoever wants to pay more gets better service???? This is ridiculous and I am going to file a complaint! By the way, I used the free token and my internet is super fast again. The website, so you can see for yourselves is www.services.hughes.net.

• Tb
      tbone venable Jan 25, 2011

you know they should tell you about the[so called]fairness act when you order the service.i didn't know about it untill i called about my service was slow-if it picked up at all-then that's when i found out about the tokens for $7.50-that's bs

HughesNet.com — hughesnet offers poor and expensive service

We recently moved to a mountainous, rural area where satellite internet was our only way to get online. I...

HughesNet.comyou cannot manage your usage, but you will get suspended

It is now 11:30pm. The latest data showing on my HughNet customer usage page is 4pm. There is no hope of properly monitoring your downloads and yet you will be subject to very strict usage policies, one that will not even let you download a file as large as a show on Itunes or an update to your operating system. Daily monitoring of their usage page reveals, on average, a four-hour lag time. This lag time is unacceptable, especially on a tight table of 24-hour usage. Downloading statistics should be updated at least every 15 minutes.

This company behaves unfairly to customers in general. People who are subject to restricted use have a right to monitor their usage in REAL TIME. HughesNet.com creates random rules with harsh punishment. I have written a new slogan for them: HughesNet... it's faster than dial-up, sort-of. Actually, between about 3pm and 12am, it is as slow as dial-up, faster speeds are achieved late night, when you are asleep.

Don't waste your money or time with this company.

• Ld
        LDStechMD Sep 01, 2009

I agree fully, and have approached Hughes on providing a REAL TIME (why wait 15 minutes?) monitor more than once. I always get the same the response - nothing offered through Hughes, but they are working on it. Of course, that's crap. FAP may have originally been implimented to limit bandwidth hogs, but Hughes has since realized they can turn it into a revenue generator. I've been with Hughes for 9 years, and have watch the service go down, while the push for more revenue goes up.

I've been in the tech field since the mid 1990's, moving from dial-up to ISDN and finally to Satelite (no other high speed option in my area). If it weren't for the cost, I'd go back to ISDN simply for reliabilty, even though it is not as fast as Hughes (except during certain periods of the day).

Hughes recongized that even common web browsing is creating greater bandwidth demands, with more and more sites utilizing flash, etc. Add to that all the other large size downloads available, and Hughes recognized a cash cow. There are more levels of service available now, and each one has a higher threshold limit, theoretically letting you download more by paying more. The bandwidth is available - if you want to pay their horrendous prices for it. But if you want to stream anything, dowload movies, etc., you will pay to get it, right? that's their motivation.

There are real-time tools available to monitor usage, but they also generally cost money (so far I haven't found any good free ones). Hughes SHOULD provide something that, as you say, should give AT LEAST 15 minutes updates, but since the real time tech is available, that is what they really should use. My hughes usage will actually update with a 2hour lag, but you can still download a lot in 2 hours, so that's not feasible, either. The truth is they don't want us to monitor - they want us to upgrade and spend more money.

• Bu
        Bud Parker Sep 04, 2009

Boy, you hit the nail on the head! Once they have you in a two-year contract, they can inflict the "Policy" on you as an inducement to cough up more money. I called the foreign manned service desk four times today and got nowhere.

Another poster said she got good, fast service from this number: [protected]. Pass it around. I, for one, am going to mobilize a campaign to flood State’s Attorney Generals offices with valid complaints. If nothing else it’s fraudulent advertizing. Also, the BBB and Federal Trade Commission.

johnsan Oct 27, 2009

Hughes net has to be by far the worst internet service i have ever used. Not only do they charge you a ridicolous amount for installation and thier 125.00 pole that is ### considering I have plenty of places to mount it. I can't get on the internet more than about two hours and my speed goes slower than dial up. And don't try and call them and have a conversation with some ###er in another country who speaks ninety mile an hour broken english which you can't understand a dam word of. I absolutely hate this internet provider, they are a rip off and all they want to help you is more money. After one month of service and the highest internet bill I have ever paid I am willing to tell them no english speaking ### to take that bill, and pole, and dish sitting on it and shove it up thier candy ###!

• Ou
        Ours2use May 29, 2010

I think the fair access is a bunch of bull, as we are in the middle of 72 acres no one around us for 2 and 1/2 miles. Yet we can wake up and be suspended check usage time and it says 364 mega bites in one hour, from 6pm to 7pm. First of all no one was home at that time and with our computers that 364 mega bites it would have taken way longer than 1 hour. As they brag faster speed downloads etc NOT. We have monitored our downloads and most updates might be one or two gigs so go figure. That wasn't the only download they also said more was downloaded at 11p.m. to midnight we were in bed then again the next morning from 12 noon to 1p.m. again no one was on the computers as it was when we got online we noticed everything lagging bad. That is when my husband called and complained as this has been a problem with them continuously at least every other month we fight with them. And again the same conversation who lives next to us "no one" this battle is at least every 2 months. We don't have ipods etc nor do we download movies etc. At first the tech said we can't undo the suspended fair access that was with our first complaint. Then my husband upgraded giving us more bandwidth time. And it happened again this time the tech undid the fair access ..hmmm interesting as they said it couldn't be done. Then it happens again they suggest we monitor our downloads well we are notified when we get updates, but for a month they told my husband to check and keep a record of downloads and usages and times, funny nothing happened that month but they gave us a case number and would look into it . Now 2 months later this happens again the tech lifted the fair access suspend and gave us a case number saying they would look into it. Oh did I mention you now get a token to lift this as you have been a longtime customer. We didn't use our token. But if this was not a problem why offering of the token. Also if we were downloading all this stuff that they say we are we would be out of memory. Since they have taken over the service has been terrible but there is no other server except one and they only handle so many people and you have to keep calling them to see if anyone in this area has moved etc before you can replace them. Yes hughes net can say they are faster than dial up but not by much as my computer doesn't look like the one on the commercial while dial up is still loading. We have had our satilite for 20 yrs with direct tv and it wasn't till hughes net took over have we started this problem.
        Not a happy camper

HughesNet.comrip off

There is no download manager for mac / itunes. And there are strict usage policies that will have you on almost constant suspension if you own a mac and sign-up with hughesnet. I am a mac user. I was told this would be no problem when I ordered. I was concerned about of being able to download large files and questioned the salesperson. I was told could get a download manager — no problem — and download large files between 3am and 6am.

There are no download managers for itunes, which is how macs download music and video files. I have called tech support many times. I am regularly on suspension, meaning no access to the internet for 24 hours. This has seriously hurt my business. The hughesnet phone computer keeps me on hold eternally, and hangs up on me regularly. They respond to support emails with useless rhetoric and form letters.

• Bi
          bill moss Jul 08, 2008

hughesnet is the worst going to get dsl.they wont your questionsthey wont even answer the phoneshow do they stayin busniessif they dont get me fixedand soon two months is too long to be without computeri will call tv have them come out and watch me pull it off the roofthis is the worst service i have seen dial up is betteranswer the damn phonefix my net or get it off my rooff

• De
          Dennis K. Cargill Nov 21, 2008

Hughesnet is the biggest rippoff I've been associated that I can remember. We got it ( DireCway) right after Hurricane Rita when the cable provider did not re establish service to my area. I was under the impression it was unlimited and never heard of the (Un ) Fair access policy until it became HughesNet. I was told I could upgrade to the HN7000S modem for faster connections and more usage.

• Ld
          LDStechMD Sep 01, 2009

Bill Moss, I can't even read your complaint. Ever hear of puncuation marks? It would help to know if you had a valid complaint if it were intelligible.

I dislike Hughes as much as the next person. I've been with them for 9 years (they have always been Hughes - Direcway was a branding name, just like HughesNet is now). They have always had a FAP - just like any other legal BS, you have to read the information. Don't blame them for having an FAP and you not knowing. Yes, it's vague and anything BUT fair, but they had it 9 years ago. Wild Blue also has one.

I don't recommend satelite to anyone. The only reason I still have it is because there just is no other viable option in my area. There are plenty of legitimate complaints about Hughes, including the implementation of the FAP. No knowing it existed won't hold water for a real complaint report, though.

Real problems - Implementation of FAP: i.e, over what time fram is the thrreshold accumulation calculated?
          Reinstatement of service after FAP implimentation (discrestionary, and often exceeds 24 hours).
          Why FAP levels can be raised by buying next higher service tier (availabitly goverened by monopolistic pricing).
          Documented limiting of bandwidth between the hours of 4:00 PM and Midnight Eastern time.
          Hughes charges $125 just to call a service tech to come to your home, without telling that you still have to pay them, OR telling you that you can call them yourself (i had to do both).

• Cp
          CPogo Oct 13, 2010

I have Hughesnet because I have no other option. The price is ridiculous and the service is horrific! If you have any other option, take it! If you download ANYTHING you will be put on the FAP and it's slower than dial up. The download manager is a joke! Applications like iTunes are not compatible with it.
          If anyone knows of a better option in an area that has very poor cell service, no cable and no DSL I would love to hear about it!

Hughesnetripped off

I was tired of dial up as most of the complaints have written about. So I decided to go with hughesnet. Boy was that a mistake. I was at home when the installer put the system in and was at my pc when he fired it up. Took about 30 mins to load everything. Tools ect. So we decided to do a speed test. I had the pro plan, 1 meg down 200 kb up. The test did all of 192 kb down and 8kb up. I said hold on thats not right. Installer said it would get better in an hour or so. Back to surfing the net for an hour or so. With it dropping packets worse than dialup. The hughesnet website would not even come up with in 5 mins.

So I call tech support after the hour or so was up. Some guy I could not even understand tried to help me. I asked to be put on another sat. He said no. No help there we hung up... So I did another speed test 3 hours later (Around 11 pm) it was 200 kb down 12 kb up. I call tech support again. Same thing no help. Was told it is a shared service. I asked this guy so what do you tell the guys paying for the elite plan at 189$ a month for 3 megs down and they get about 300 kb? The tech said the more you pay the faster it is but its still shared. That sounds like fraud to me.

So I stopped payment on the 400$ check, canceled the service after contacting them 4 times in 24 hours I was told no we are not going to do anything to help you get better download speeds. I sent a letter in to the better business bureau. The bbb is still working on the complaint as we speak. I did receive a phone call from hughesnet asking me what happened I told that person the system is junk and it is fraud what you guys are doing. The person said well I checked the records and you never got to executive customer care. I said ya think? Maybe after 4 phone calls and telling the last tech I was going to stop payment on the check canceled my account (Which took about 2 seconds for them to do) maybe one of you executive persons should have called? I got a blank answer to that. I asked what happened to the customer is right policy is it dead and gone? She said no. I said yes it is have a good day.

So now I owe 199$ for something I don't even have. Plus I took the satellite system off my house and took it back to the installer myself. Now they want 300$ from me because I didn't return it. Errm yes I did back to where it came from.

Do not fool with hughesnet unless you have 400$ to throw away.

Raped ape.

Hughesnetripped off

Hughes net is the worst service company I have ever dealt with in my life. When I just called to complain about my service bill being so high, I was just informed that they have been charging me for two accounts. After speaking to a supervisor, I discovered that it was really my fault you see, because "I" failed to cancel my first account when I upgraded my service to a faster router. Their calls centers are carefully constructed to take you into a complete dead end. I am appalled. Why they have any customers is unfathomable to me.

• Jk
              jking Apr 28, 2009

I THINK THIS IS THE BIGGEST FRAUD THERE EVERY WAS . As FOR as INTERNET. And as for fast serves it's not what they say it is. we might as well have had kept the diale up we had. I'ts about as fast as that. As for as money that too is a fraud they tell you one price and they take all the mony you have in the bank. I'm very dissadeisfied with the whoe thing, But they have you bye the balles now that they have you in there grips. once you sing a contrack you have to stay with them for 2 damm years befor you can get out of it or pay a large amount of money to get out of it.I was told that the price was 59.99 a month with taxes and they just took over 70.00 out of our account now they can't tell me that taxes or 20.00 dollors more a month.
              people who are on social securty always get riped off it's not funny.I just hope I can find a news carrer to get this too and have it posted all over where the world Ive made a copy of this letter for my recordes.
              yours truly custermer of hugenet.

linksage Jan 04, 2010

They still have customers only because most of us have no frickin' choice. I've been looking for another provider only to find that every other one out there is just as sneaky and underhanded as Hughes. It's a monopoly, and it'd be great if someone could do something about it. I'd love to see this get taken into court. No one is happy with this joke of a company. I only wish I could find another ISP so my family could tell Hughes to shove it up theirs.

Hughesnet — intolerable customer service

Some of the worst service I have EVER seen. And I say this having spent years working in the utility...

Hughesnet — bad for gaming

I wanted high speed internet so I can play online games and brows the internet faster. After getting Hughe...

Hughesnetliars!

I need a static IP address to support my VPN back to my home office. I was told I could pay extra for a static IP for which they certainly charged me more. However, the home office does not "see" my "static IP" because hughes net web accelerator software spoofs IP addresses. total failure & totally worthless. after two months of wrestling with this worthless system, I closed the account. they had the gall to bill me $300 for violating a "contract" I have never seen. I asked for a copy of the contract & of course they don't have one. I wrote them a certified letter offering to work things out, but they never responded. Nevertheless, they have turned me over to a collection agency, if you can believe that. they are the biggest bunch of liars & creeps I have ever dealt with. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Fi
                finisr3 Aug 05, 2009

im sueing the company, if any one wants to be apart of this let me know . [protected]@hotmail.com

Hughesnetunprofessional technical and home service practices

I have repeatedly had to call Hughesnet service department to investigate why I had such a poor or no satellite signal (non-weather related).Once your call enters into the technical department you are speaking with someone in India? The answer to my question about signal strength from this person in India was " do you utilize a Google tool bar, if so, remove the Google tool bar. I hung up following his comment and called the service department back, told them what the Technician (India) had said, they apologized and suggested I have a service technician come to my home to fix the problem for a minimum fee of $120.00. The service technician (Guardian Enterprises) never showed up or called to say he couldn't make the appointment. Enough is enough... I'm moving on.

Hughesnetripped me off

I ordered hughes.net, and was advised thru the sales rep that I needed to sign up for the small business plan for home networking. I had the business equipment installed and the installer never stuck around to see if my speeds were acurate for the plan I was on. I spent over a week for hours at a time with the technical department trying to troubleshoot the speed issue. After a week had passed I get a phone call from a foriegner that says they cannot fix the problem and are closing the case on my problem file. I called and said I wanted my money back for what I paid for and didnt receive. IT WAS A BIG NO. I have fought these folks long enough. I called the bank today and filed a dispute with my credit card for this charge of 450 dollars.
                These people are the worst people to deal with. Even corporate which I contacted and still didnt have any resolution. I need all the money back that they took from me.

• St
                    Storm May 12, 2008

There is already a thread on this. I would suggest writing your Congressman, your Governor, and both of your Senators as well as contacting a good Lawyer regarding a Class Action Lawsuit. These are all things I am doing in my state. Don't expect much to be done at the moment, however. The Government is far too busy NOT dealing with our current economic crisis.

Hughesnetservice charges

My Hughesnet system was installed in Sept. 2007. Since then they have replaced the modem twice, under warranty. In April 2008 I once again lost service for 5 days. When I called the service number they said something was wrong with my equipment, and a service man would be sent out, at a cost to me of $125.00, because the warranty had run out. I agreed to this, and when the technician showed up he was the same guy that installed the system.
                  After trouble shooting i was informed by the tech. that my equipment was operating just fine, and that the Hughes Net Sattelite was not functioning properly way up there in space. He said that the reception problem was NOT MY EQUIPMENT, but the Sattelite 's, and their would be no charge to me for the service call.
                  Well the was a charge of $125.00 I was told no matter whose fault it was and I had to pay it.
                  THIS is TOTAL BULL CRAP!~!, and I'm not going to give up until I talk to an American who can give me satisfaction! All I get is a bunch of elephant riders over in India when I call the service number! Now I'm searching for the phone number of their headquarters in Germantown Md. Does anyone have that number??

matt May 11, 2008

i posted this on another forumn but i will post it here too, if i can save at least one other person the time and trouble (and lots o cash for very little in return) that is Hughesnet, so much the better: my girlfriend and i are finding out the hard way- you cant read the full details until you are online.. thier 'Fair Access Policy' (do not exceed 200mb of daily download for our package or you get effectively shutdown for 24 hrs)is anything but... AND, contrary to what they say on the phone, they DO close ports, .. online gamers(or anyone) beware. Dial up is a better (faster? in alot of cases)option... when i get mad enough ill see what the state attorney general's office says...there needs to be some regulation of these type of businesses... oh and to cancel ..$350.00 to get out of thier 2 year contract. i REALLY wish we could get the terms of use mailed to consumers before entering into contracts like these.. id have gone without internet if id have known itd be like this - mad in rural Idaho...one thing i d like to add... you wouldnt go to a store, see an empty shelf and let the store clerk convince you to pay him for the non-existant item- why is Hughesnet allowed to sell more bandwidth than they appearantly can supply?... this, im guessing is the reason for the F.A.P... i heard another reason... but seem far fetched, as if your like me, the nearest house is quite some distance away- (the sell connections to your neighbor reason). believe me when DSL finally reaches us here, we will be rid of this mess-- i would be ashamed to offer such a poor product to my customers- but then corp. america has no soul or conscience.

John J. Jul 13, 2008

Do not get too aggitated with the reps you think reside in India or elsewhere.
                      apparently you have not been to the DC metropolitan area. Many reps with English as a second language are right here in the tech corridor located in Germantown, MD and don't be surprised if you are actually talking to a customer support agent here in the good ol U.S. of A!
                      Just the same, I doubt that a tech staffer here would know any more than someone overseas because of the nature of the "soft shoe book reading tech" hardly ever knows more than the hands on field tech that comes to your house to service the equipment.

As for the service techs, there are only a few people that install the hardware in the state due to the "wired" broadband market and the sat internet market being scattered in areas like where I live. So never be surprised if you see the same and only tech come to your place to work on your hardware. I considered being a installation tech myself several years ago but there was not enough work to keep me gainfully employed.

I am a HugesNet customer residing in the rural tier of southern Maryland in a fringe area that does not provide any other broadband services, even the dial up is terrible... the connection I am using to write this blog is only 28.8 kbs to that tell you how bad it is. I have been a DirectPC/HughesNet customer for over 4 years and this is the first time I have had and major issues with my hardware. In the last few months, I have had issues with going over on the Fair Access Policy (FAP) which is annoying because the downloads are mostly updates! Considering that I have not had this issues in the first 3 years, I think this is a ploy to get customers to upgrade to the more expensive packages.

It is likely that my transmitter took some damage last moth during a series of thunderstorms, but my connection quality has been slowly degrading over 6 months. I chalked it up to the satellite and atmospheric conditions and even the trees coming into bloom, but my signal strength has been a average of 62 since I purchased my system in 2004. I cheked my dish for any potential damage due to a fallen tree brance on my roof, and only thing that i could see is a very stretched RG-6 cable feeding the dish's transmitter port. I changed it out, rebooted my modem and my connection worked better than it had in months!!
                      5 hours later, the system began to cycle in and out as if it was continuously rebooting.
                      The Transmit status falls out every few minutes and the TCP Acceleration Status is red flagged in and Not operational. I gave it 24 hours to see if it will clear itself up before I called it in.

So today I finally called in and had it looked into. During the call, there was a recording stating that there has been outages on the 93 longitude's satellite.
                      OK, But my service says its on 95 West and "has not had any problems" so says the service tech.

The tech rep pinged my modem and conducted a test and the end result: He stated that my transmitter is bad and needs servicing. Needless to say, My dish has been out of warranty since 2005 and is the likely culprit but that dose not account for the 6 some odd hours of above average service before it crapped out.

So now I have been hit with the $125.00 service fee and a 5-7 day wait, and a day of leave i will need to use for the tech to check things out at my home. I also have to use Juno to do the basic online task until i'm up linked again.

The only positive I have is a 7 day discount to my service until a tech services my system.

Hughesnet — slow speeds and terrible service

Same complaints as the myriad of others who have posted about HughesNet. - slow speeds (especially upload) -...

Hughesnethughes.net horrid company

Don't waste your money or time with Hughes.net This is absolutely the worst company I've ever had to deal with. If you have any alternative for Internet, go with it. When I started with them 4 yrs ago it was fine. But they have been adding people to the Satmex 5 and Satmex 6 satellites to the point where there is no bandwidth and no one has any speed. If they tell you to "upgrade" your modem for faster download or upload times, don't believe it. I have the HN7000 and it is worse than the DW6000. Now with their FAP you can't even download music or watch videos or you get turned off for 24 hours.

The most recent "crisis" is their email upgrade which was suppose to take one day. Well now its Tuesday April 29 and we've had no email since Friday. Maybe they outsourced the upgrade to India like they do the customer support. Those people don't have a clue. Now, they are switching back to the old email system. What idiots. I live in Central America and have no choice. If you have a choice of providers...DON'T USE HUGHES.NET ... The only good thing about my service is I deal with c-com, a VAR in Canada and they respond to emails and actually do provide "value added".

John Smith Jun 30, 2008

Hughes net has always kind of sucked for even web browsing because once you hit the FAP it takes you to below dial up speeds, I know this because whenever Hughes starts not loading anything(sometimes not even google) I switch to a dial up connection.

Thats great because it ties up my phone lines which is one reason i pay ridiculous prices for sat interenet. I can't even play star craft online. That game is 10 years old and only requires a 28.8k modem meaning hughes isn't even delivering that.

Lisa Jacobs Jul 24, 2008

Hughesnet is HHOORRIFFFICCALLY AWFUL!!! I have logged over 17 hours to upgrade my ssllooowwww system to a faster speed. HAHA on me. I only pay a lot more and cannot get any quick access. I have talked to several different countries after arguing with the automated person for 15-20 minutes. They understand nothing, NADA, nil, etc. I even had my service shut off for an upgrade when it did not need to be shut off. I wanted to pay my bill by a different debit source and ended up being restricted to my online account because I am a child. I am 43 years old. I was unable to speak to an English speaking person, and was transferred after being on hold for multiple times and multiple hours, to other countries and never did get a number to talk to a real person in my language. If I terminate sevice with Hughesnet before 1 year I have to pay a $400.00. I have been trying to finish my masters degree online and have spent more hours at my neighbors on their service to complete assignments. I continually speak to anyone and everyone so they don't have to suffer the way I have and the way you others have also suffered. Hughesnet has cost me litterally thousands of dollars. Pardon me but individuals of other countries are certainly "screwing" us. I have never before in my life said anything so disgraceful sounding as that, but this company (Hughesnet) inspires that in me.

• As
                        Asar Apr 08, 2009

I got a message from "florance smith" ([protected]@hotmail.com) . In that there is written that i have won some in Euro Afro Asia Sweepstakes Lottery International Program. I wanted to know is this company true or Fraud?Perhaps this program happens in holand...

Hughesnetawful service

How is it that all of us can suffer the same issue with the AWFUL service by Hughes.net and they just keep taking the money out of our pockets?!!!

If the wind blows there is no service (I live in Kansas for God's sake!), if it rains there is no service, if it snows there is no service, if the sun shines a certain way there is no service, if Hughes makes an "Upgrade" (God help us all) there is no service, if a bird flies by and poops...you get my point.

I beg our county government to PLEASE run cable in our rural area...someday I hope they listen.

• Bo
                          Bob Olin May 27, 2008

I see I am not the only one complaining about hughes net. I wrote a letter a month to their "corporate office" from February to May without a reply. I don't thing it exists. Their employees say they have no way of communicating with them. They did not have the decency to answer. Everytime I attempted to call, I was on the phone for at least one-half hour and being transferred to six or more people, most of whom I couldn't understand
                          (language barrier), with absolutely no satisfaction. I had problems with their equipment and their technicians could not fix it, they wanted me to buy new equipment even though we did not know exactly what the problem was.
                          I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND HUGHES TO ANYONE. I SWITCHED TO WILD BLUE AND AM GETTING GOOD SERVICE WITH AMERICANS, SO FAR!

• Le
                          Les McLagan Jun 11, 2008

I guess I might as well chime in. Maybe between us we can save someone else the misery of dealing with this low life company. This was also submitted on [redacted] .com

I have been a Hughes.net user since 8/22/06 in that time I have experienced the absolute lowest, most useless, most uncooperative tech support that it has ever been my misfortune to experience. I am an electronics tech with over 45 years experience both in circuit level troubleshooting and IT. I do not need a flow chart reader to tell me that my system is fine when I can't access the internet. I have had trouble with the Hughes.net system from the very beginning. On two occasions they have sent me new modems unnecessarily because they simply were too incompetent to isolate the actual problems. Before you contact tech support with this company you had better first have a couple of good stiff drinks and take a few valium. You will get a very pleasant sounding person with such a thick East Indian accent that if you have poor hearing as I do, you will only catch one word in ten. Then the first thing they will do is have you reset your modem, in the process clearing any diagnostic data it has stored. Of course in most cases clearing the modem gets you going again for at least few minutes, so then they can find no problem and simply apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced and tell you to call again if you keep having trouble. Of course when you do call again you will just go through the same endless loop. It is like an insidious "Mobius Strip" The greatest problem is that after you have wasted often an hour or more on the phone and hung up, ten minutes later the problem will often re-occur. I have actually had to reset the modem as many as a hundred times just to get my email, but they continue to say the system is fine. In one case I logged the error codes that the modem was reporting for over a week. It tallied over 26 different error codes in that time. Armed with that data I called again the next time the system quit and before resetting it. The first thing they did again was demand I reset the modem before they would run any diagnostics, and as they would not budge from that I finally did. As soon as it came back up working they simply told me that since it was presently not showing any problem there was nothing they could do. When I tried to give them the error codes they told me that at their level of support they did not deal with the codes and refused to connect me to a higher level because the system had responded to a reset.
                          In one particular incident about six months ago I went through this insane run-around for nearly three weeks, being told at every call that there was no problem. Finally one day I called in and upon describing the problem was immediately transferred to higher level support who told me that the problem was a router problem at their end in the network operations center and that they were already aware of it and assured me that their engineers would have it fixed within a few hours. IT TOOK ANOTHER THREE WEEKS! Then to really make it frustrating I had to argue with their billing department for a half hour to get just one month’s credit on my bill.
                          Now the final straw. The system has been only marginally useful since then with it becoming slower with time. This last week I have been trying to do some very large downloads of data that I need to get soon. Finally I hopes of getting a bit more speed and a little higher limit on their so called "fair access policy" (frankly that is a total joke, it should read unfair access policy") I spoke to their tech support and then the billing office who both assured me that going to the next higher service package would definitely improve my speed as well as adding 75mb to my FAP limit. Once they had me suckered into spending the extra money they told me the system would be down for an hour while the computers updated my equipment. After much more than an hour when it was still down I called their tech support. They walked me through a re-registration of the modem and said it would then work. Well it did not! In point of fact what they had done was transfer my system to a transponder that was completely non functional. They actually had a pre-recorded message on the tech support line before you could speak to anyone that plainly stated that customers on that particular transponder would not be able to access the internet for some time due to network operations center problems, and that their engineers would have if fixed shortly. I called them and demanded that they switch me back to the transponder I had been on, and they flatly refused. They said that it was their policy not to move anyone to a different transponder unless the signal strength was below 52%. It was just a few points above that at the time. The fact that they had switched me from a transponder with a 94% and fully functional only minutes before did not seem to mean a thing to them. When the person I was speaking to became rude about it, I demanded to speak to his supervisor. He flatly refused to transfer me to the supervisor! I then asked for his name and employee number so I could file a complaint. He gave me his first name only and said his employee number was classified. It is not! It is mandatory that he give that information if asked since without it there is no way to register a complaint. A first name is useless; there could be a hundred Randy's working for Hughes. I finally got him to transfer me to billing to cancel my service. The lady there said that she would definitely get it straightened out, and that they did not want to lose a customer, but that I would have to contact tech support to change the transponder. After jotting down the case number she gave me, I again called tech support, this time I got a different person who again refused to change it back, and if possible became even more belligerent and rude than Randy had been. I have now signed up with Wild Blue. I hope they will be a bit more realistic. In the meantime while I wait for them to install their equipment, the dead Hughes.net transponder finally came back online about 24 hours later, unfortunately it is displaying exactly the same symptoms as occurred six months ago when it took their network engineers 3 weeks to realize they had a problem and another 3 to get it right.

• Valerie Dec 02, 2008

I have been a customer of Hughes Net for 5 years, only because I live in a rural area and have no other choice for internet service (I don't consider dial-up a choice). The service has not been that good since I started but knew I had to live with it until a wireless tower was built within range of my home. The service with Hughes Net continued to decline through the years, and many frustrating hours were spent on the phone with people that can't even pretend to care. I upgraded my modem to the 7000 in February, and paid the premium price of $79.99 per month for 'the best' plan. It didn't seem to make a difference in my service, which continued slow. I have been thrown off through their FAP about three times a week, which is extremely frustrating. I tried all known wireless companies, but was forced to live with slow service with Hughes Net. (There is a wireless internet service tower within 2 miles of my home but it is blocked by my neighbor's pole barn). This did not stop my search for a wireless company, and last week I finally found one that is 9 miles away and they provide and excellent signal. I never thought the internet could be so fast, this is really amazing. NOTHING comes close with Hughes Net, THEY ARE NOT HIGH SPEED. When I called to cancel my service, they informed me that I will be paying a $300.00 'early termination' fee. After being a customer for five years??? What do they want, a lifetime commitment? The girl was actually laughing at me on the phone and said I can't do anything about it, because they reset their contracts when someone upgrades the equipment. I talked to three people on the phone, and each one told me that this is something that Hughes Net has as a policy and I can't get around it. Now I know why I wasn't told of this fine print when I upgraded. I would think that if there is an upgrade in the equipment, that it shows customer loyalty and people should not be penalized for this. I am frustrated and have to live with losing $300.00 to these scam artists. I feel the $300.00 is worth the price to have service that is light-years ahead of Hughes Net, AND I'm paying $40.00 per month for this!!! I will never go back to Hughes Net, if I have to use a satellite in the future it will be through another company, or I go to dial-up. I recommend anyone considering this company for service to run as fast as you can the other way. You will not get good internet service or customer service, and you will pay a high price. Lesson learned.

• Am
                          Ames Dec 31, 2008

I agree with the post that was made regarding Hughes Net. We are under contract with Hughes Net and do not have service much of the time. My husband has to go to the library to post his grades because he cannot get internet service at home and we pay $60 a month for the service (no service). We have more than 30 case numbers from calls we've made about the problems we have with our connection. My husband was on the phone for over 3 hours the day after Christmas trying to dissolve our relation with them, they told us we would have to pay $300 termination fee, but we could upgrade to the faster service. I'm so glad I read the other post which stated the faster service was no faster and that our contract would start over with the upgrade. This is the worst company I have ever been involved with and would never recommend them. If they would change their way of thinking and put the customer's needs above their greed I'm sure they would be a much more prosperous company. RUN!!!

• Am
                          Ames Dec 31, 2008

Can you please give the name of the faster company you are now using?????????

• Mh
                          MHScottLewis Apr 20, 2009

I will never recommend HughesNet to anyone. We subscribed about 6 month's ago and it is the equivalent of throwing your money in the trash. Of course, like most people, we assumed we were upgrading from dial-up. Hah. Thank goodness we kept the dial-up account, because in an emergency we rely on that for speed. Or I need to get around 4 or 5 a.m. to take advantage of one of the few times that HughesNet offers high speed internet. I am in the process of finding something better (rural area) and will cancel my subscription immediately. Somebody needs to close them down or penalize them for ripping off consumers.d

• Bd
                          bdwood54 Nov 02, 2017

Hughes net sucks. I thought I had signed up for Dish Net because I called dish and every thing I talked about on the phone led me to believe I had signed up with dish net with a 1 year contract. The tech came out and installed the system and I didn't pay too much attention till I walked out side and saw the dish that said Hughes net and Informed the tech that I had signed up for Dish net and he told me that they were the same thing and I didn't think too much about it. I was not told I had a limit on the system. I was told by the person that I would get 25 mbs and when I reached my limit it would drop down to 10 mbs which would still be enough to easily stream movies. What I got was 25mbs to start and use my allotted gigs it dropped to 1 mbs upload and down load which you can hardly get on the internet with. They told me I had so loang that I could opt out. Wrong. They will offer you a little something to keep trying just long enough to your opt out period is out and then they put the screws to you. I am not going to stand for it. I am writing a letter to the Attorney General of NC< Cal and the US attorney general. I writing a letter to the BBB and going to start posting complaints to their face book till they allow me to disxontinue without paying 400 for something I didn't sign up for. If you don't like drama and problems don' ever sign up fo Hughes net.

Hughesnetcannot connect to internet

Ever since Hughes mail "improved my service" over the weekend, I cannot access my e- mail at all.

It either get an invalid request, web page can't be found, , cannot connect to the web server, does not recognize my user name ( I have been using the same name and password for over 2 years, or does not recognize my password. HELP!!!

• Do
                            Dorothee Racette Apr 28, 2008

Same here! - I believe the "upgrade" has failed or was considerably more difficult than they envisioned. I run a business and have not had access to my email or the webmail feature for two days either (same experience: website does not recognize my user name).

I don't know what to do either, since it's absolutely useless trying to call tech service somewhere in Bangalore...

• Kk
                            K Karnan Apr 29, 2008

Unbelievable-4 days without consistent access-either at desk or web based. I get a random email once in awhile.

Only response i got with live (haha) chat was- we are sorry for the inconvenience.

I dont want to waste my time talking to someone in a noisy room who cant hear me and whom I have trouble understanding for an hour to get an answer of ...hmm, sorry.

I have to say that up until Saturday I have been very happy with hughes.net service. A bit slow once in awhile but a small price to pay for living in the "boonies".

Hughesnetlousy service

Just another voice crying in the Wilderness... we have no current alternative to Hughes Net but they are the WORST... if you are fortunate enough to have any other option besides this outfit take it. Hughes Net is one big rip off and they treat their customers like cattle (funny when you think of the fact that customer service is handled out of India!). We are going to see if an internet aircard will serve our needs... at least we will be dealing with real, local people.

Linda Griffith Nov 09, 2007

This internet company advertises to be High speed internet__WHAT A JOKE. They are no faster than dial-up but cost 4 times the amount of dial up. They are sooo nice to you at customer service UNTIL they install the junk (which will set your bank acct. back about $450.00) and you immediately start having problems and you call customer service and get someone in India that cannot understand you and keep you on the phone for an hour or so, then tell you they have to transfer you to advance technician which may be in the Philliphines or MAYBE Florida and you stay on the phone for another hour or two going over the same things you did the numerous times that you have called before. You can e-mail them with a problem and they tell you that you will have to call customer service that the problem requires REAL TIME ASSISTANCE which it actually does if you are willing to stay on the phone at least 4 or 5 hours every day. It is the biggest RIP_OFF ever--STAY AWAY from this provider!!!

• Do
                              DON THOMPSON Aug 18, 2008

We're paying $120/ month for almost dial up speed. Hughes net will not do anything except ask me to continue to do "Speed tests". I have spent numerous hours on he phone with them trying to resolve our issues and am done. I have 6 months left on our contract (that no one has a copy of) then, will be done with them. I always make a point of telling everyone that I know just how bad Hughes Net really is. I hope that you all do the same.

Don Thompson
                              Richmond, VA

Hughesnet — scam advertising!

I am ALL OVER filing a class action suit against Hughes Net so if anyone is seriously interested in doing so...

HughesNet.comno service!

I have paid in advance for internet (wireless) services and for the last month and 1/2 I have been unable to access the internet. I am going through a horrible time in my life and have minimal resources. Up to this point of my life I have been able to meet all my bills but at this time, lets say, if I am not going to have the services I paid for I'd rather have this money for other bills.

• He
                                heathepw Jul 15, 2008

I've had HughesNet for about a year now. About three months ago the modem lights would go off regularly. I had to disconnect everything and connect it back in a certain order to get the modem to start working. This went on for a couple of months. Finally the modem totally died. It took over a week to get my new modem. When I connected everything I could not access the Internet. After several long conversations I was told I would have to pay $125 to have a technician come out and realign the dish. I'm paying over $90 per month for this service so needless to say I wasn't happy. And as far as mounting the dish on a pole, mentioned in an earlier complaint, I think they do that to everyone. Apparently nobody has an acceptable roof to mount it on.

Mary Jul 27, 2008

After a recent "no service" situation, I understand and sympathize. I would be tempted to just not pay them; however, that would hurt your credit rating. I was told I'd been cut off because I exceeded the Fair Access after the service being down with a recording saying they were sorry for any inconvenience. Next day, they claim I had over 200 MB which again exceeded the allowed amount. Again the following day the same thing happened. So I disconnected their modem and used my phone line instead. Today, It's back on but for how long who knows. I am very dissatisfied with their service! If I had it to do over, I would stick with dialup modem or ANY OTHER SERVICE AVAILABLE!!!

• Di
                                DianaThomas52 Jun 25, 2010

We have been without service through out the day, starting at 6 am, and will get service back around 6 pm. We have called about this and they told us that they were having problems with their systems due to the storms they were having. Come on, this has been going on for 2 weeks now and i run a business from my home and with the bad service, i am loosing money. We have had HughesNet for 1 year, but if this is the kind of service we are gonna get, we will find another means, even if we have to go back to Dial-up.

Hughesnet — slower than dial up!

Due to no alternative for high speed internet upon my relocation to rural New Mexico, I subscribed with...

Sandia Park