Hotwire.comhotel booking - deceptive business practices, breach of agreement

S

On 5/4/16 I booked hotel reservations through hotwire.com for a party of 3 (Myself, another adult, and a child). On hotwire.com directly on the home page an adult is listed as (18+ yrs) and a child is listed as (2-17 yrs). I selected my destination, dates, room. Please note: hotwire does not share the name of the hotel or hotel details until after booking is completed. After completing the online booking process and my credit card being charged $823.75 for the stay, only then was I informed that the hotel my party of 3 would be staying at was the holiday inn. There was no issue until we arrived at the hotel and tried to check in. To my surprise the hotel refused to check us in until I paid an additional $400 for my child. The hotel said the cut off age for children is 12 and because my son is 15, he is considered an adult and would have to pay $400 to stay. I argued that I did not select this hotel in fact I had no idea where I would be staying until after the booking is complete and my son should not be penalized for what is clearly a business disagreement/miscommunication between hotwire and the hotel. Needless to say I was forced to pay the additional $400 unless we wanted to sleep on the street and loose the nonrefundable $823.75 already paid to hotwire. Why on earth would hotwire book us at a hotel that has restrictions on children and age limits? Why on earth did hotwire not informed me that this would happen when we arrive? Hotwire is in partnership with these hotel chains. This is there line of business. I spent the 1st 2 hours of my vacation on the phone with hotwire customer service. I spoke to 3 different reps as I had to call back several because I was mysteriously disconnected each time. All reps said I should not have been charged anything additional and my booking was a final sale. The reps said they would call the hotel to resolve the issue. All 3 asked me to stay on hold and took my number in case we got disconnected. While waiting on hold, I was disconnected (Not-surprise) and not one of them called me back. This is just unacceptable. I then went back to the lobby and spoke with the hotel manager who decided to give me a $75 credit. I was still charged $325!!! If hotwire has hotel partners with age restrictions then their website should reflect that, but it does not it simply says a child is “2-17 yrs” so what is the consumer to do but to trust the company we’re doing business. Why am i, the consumer being penalized for hotwire’s error? Hotwire sent me an email confirmation stating that my hotel reservations for a party of 3 was booked, paid, and all set. The email even went on to say that there’s no need to reconfirm with the hotel. This is what I call false advertising and unfair business practices at its best. I have all documentation and receipts from both hotwire and the holiday inn. I'm requesting a refund for the additional charge of $325.

• Wine Is Good Jun 16, 2016

This is the hotel's fault, not Hotwire. Hotwire advertises based on the information provided to them by the hotels. If there are restrictions from a hotel, then that hotel would not show in the queue based on your selections.

I hope you used a credit card at the hotel. I would be calling my card and filing a charge back for the added costs. I would also be calling the main hotel number (800 #) and filing a complaint.

Saying all of that, it IS always best to confirm with the hotel even though any 3rd party booking agent tells you not to. Policies and rules change, and sometimes, the changes do not reflect fast enough.