Honeybaked Hampoor quality hams, high prices, and non-existent customer service

I preordered a spiral cut ham of 15-17 lbs and was told it would be $74 with my coupon. On the 24th of Dec. I waited in line for the usual 30 minutes to get up to the counter. They gave me a 17 lb. Ham but told me the price would be $84 with my same coupon. When I complained, the response was "that is the price".

When we unwrapped the ham to heat and cut it, we got a major shock. Rather than spiral cut, someone had attempted to make it look like one. They had used some kind of cutter and made indentations about 3/4" deep on parts of the ham. We had to hold up dinner for our 23 guests as I had to spend a great amount of time trying to cut pieces of meat out for serving. The ham was also of significantly inferior quality - full of large areas of fat and gristle.

After the holidays, I tried to call management at the store to issue a complaint. After attempts on three different days I gave up as it apprears nobody ever answers the phone. I then contacted the corporate office and made my complaint. They were receptive, but said the local franchise would have to deal with it. They forwarded a written complaint to the franchise with instructions to contact me. It is now nearly a month later and no contact.

They obviously do not care about their customers. I have been a 30+ year customer at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but no more!

• Ed
    Edd Die Feb 26, 2008

I too was very disappointed with the service and quality of the food served at the Honey Baked Ham on Woodward Ave and 8 ½ mile in Ferndale, MI. I just left the establishment with a box lunch with the ciabatta bread so stale it felt more like a rock then fresh bread. The baked beans were cold and had a horrible taste; the cookie was also stale and hard. The only enjoyable part of this box lunch was the coke that washed down any hint of what I just tasted.

• Ur
    Ursula Beckley Mar 22, 2008

I have been going to store #318 in Melbourne, Florida for years. Every year my sister-in-law sends me a HoneyBakedHam gift certificate and every year for the past 15 years I have been going to store #318 on New Haven Rd. in Melbourne with never a problem. This year my sister-in-law sent me a $35.00 gift card to Honey Baked Ham. When I went to the register I was told I could not use the Honey Baked Ham gift card because they have no code for it. I was so embarassed and had to argue with the Manager for 15 minutes with people starring and giving me a dirty look. This was not a pleasant experience. What good is a Honey Baked gift cad i you can't use it at a Honey Baked Ham store. Please email me with an explanation I do not want to go through this embarassement again. Thank you in advance Ursula Beckley.

• Br
    Brian K Mar 22, 2008

I PRE- ordered ham and turkey for Easter Sunday, when i went to pick it up the day prior they said they sold out! Thinking we had our meal and sides from Honey Baked Co. we did not buy anything. So because they took our order, and then sold it, we were left to scrounge last second. Everything we found in stores was picked over and horrible. How do you sell people reserved orders? That is just wrong and absolutly the worst service you can provide.

• Yv
    Yvonne Fairley Stokes May 15, 2008

I have been a loyal customer of honey baked ham for many years. the last three hams I got were pre-ordered. I received them in a timely manner, however none of them had glaze on them. The great glaze is one of my main reasons for serving honey baked ham.The hams were shipped from the Atlanta, Georgia area.

• De
    Deborah Billings Sep 30, 2008

I work close to the store on Colerain in Cincinnati Ohio. I am very upset that this store will no longer carry the chicken salad. There are other chicken salads that this store has, but both have nuts & fruit in it. I do not want those.

I do not understand why this store no longer carries this chicken salad. Different people in our office go there a couple times a week just to get the sandwich.

I will no long go to any of the Honey Baked stores.

• Th
    thamil Apr 18, 2009

My husband & I went to the honeybaked ham store the day before Easter & we purchased a half of a boneless ham, a half of a turkey breast & it came up to $49.00. The sales associate scanned my husbands (2 $20 dollar bills & 1 $10 bill) to be sure they were authentic, but there was a patron before us that spent $100 & no one ever checked if they were authentic or not. My husband feels as though there was some type of discrimination because we are "African American"

• Ot
    Ottosmom Jul 12, 2009

I splurged to have a real HoneyBaked Ham for the party celebrating my husbands return from 17 months deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
    Sadly I spent close to an hour trimming the ham before serving as it was so fatty. I used my kitchen scale to weigh the excess fat and it was well over a pound!
    At close to $9.oo a lb. this not only meant at least four servings were lost but over $10. Military families live on strict budgets, and I regret 'throwing away' what could have been meals for a couple days.
    Shame on them!
    It is a mistake I will not make again.

SamK58 Nov 30, 2009

My wife died in August. Thinking that I couldn't properly cook a Thanksgiving dinner for my boys, I ordered a full turkey dinner, with stuffing, sides, desert, etc. I placed my order in October. The meal was scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday, November 27, the day before Thanksgiving.

On Wednesday, November 27, I received a message from the shipper that delivery had been rescheduled for November 30. I called Honeybaked Ham and they response was (1) it was the shipper's fault; (2) they never guaranteed timely delivery. They refunded my money and acted as if they had done me a favor.

Not one person at Honeybaked Ham was the least bit concerned that our Thanksgiving dinner was ruined.

Never, ever trust Honeybaked Ham to deliver as you would expect.

MarC92 Dec 28, 2009

After going to another HoneyBaked Ham store and they didn't have what we wanted, we tried this store. I actually called twice first to make sure that they had the Barbeque 'Beef' Ribs. After waiting in a long line, when we got up to the counter we were told that they had no Beef Ribs just Pork. They don't carry them anymore in the store just online. We settled for the Pork Ribs after waiting so long. At home I called back to speak to the manager. I explained that I called twice and asked why was I told that they had the ribs. She then started to argue with me that they no longer carry them. She never answered my question or even apologized for the inconvenience. To add insult to injury we got sick from the Pork Ribs. We should have just purchased the ribs from the grocery store! We are never going back to this location!

• Ho
    Honeybaked Scammed Mar 13, 2010

I place on order online when they ran a "sale" for 9lb ham. A few days later I received an email saying that there was a "discount error" and that they were going to charge me an additional 25% more than what I was originally charged when I place the order online. There was no option to cancel my order and when I checked my credit card I found that they have already charge me for the higher price. What a bunch of crooks. I called their 800 number and finally got someone to cancel the order, still waiting to see the credit on my charge. I think they should rename the company "Honeybaked Scam".

• Di
    Disappointedtoo Mar 22, 2010

I too placed an online order for the same 9 lb ham. I never received the email about the "error". I found out they charged my Visa over the amount my receipt said. Had I not checked my Visa when I paid it, I would not have known they overcharged me. I have been waiting for my refund also. I called a week ago. I called back today, and the refund was never submitted. I never received a response from the "supervisor" (the ONLY supervisor they have at the Anaheim store"). I tried following up with their corporate office...but they gave me another number to call...guess who? The supervisor that was "away from her desk", and didn't have voicemail at the online store. SURPRISE! Honeybaked Scam indeed. No apologies, no refund. Let's see if my refund goes through this time. I'm just shaking my head...whatever happened to good ol customer service and common courtesy?

JacqiB1 Dec 26, 2010

I preordered a 7-9lb Honeybaked ham from the Woodward Mill store in Buford, GA for Christmas dinner. I picked it up Christmas eve and spent nearly $70 on it. I took it out Christmas day and let it warm to room temperature, then tried to slice it up for dinner. The honey glaze was so thick it broke off in huge pieces so the ham we served had NO honey glaze on it. We tried breaking up the glaze but it was so hard it was impossible. The next day we called the store, and the manager said there was a rush on the 8lb hams due to them offering a "teacher discount" this year, so they ran out of them and had to make more. The 8lb hams they sold on Christmas eve had just been glazed, and since it takes several days for the glaze to "break down" it would have still been hard Christmas day. Of course they didn't bother to explain any of this when we picked up the ham! The manager had the nerve to say "but you have all that beautiful meat." Well, sorry but if I just wanted beautiful meat without the honey glaze, I could have paid half the price and picked one up at the grocery store! She refused to do anything. I don't think I'll be back. It's a shame; our family has been eating Honey baked hams for Christmas for over 20 years.

• Pa
    PaulP1 Dec 31, 2010

I went to exactly the same Buford store as JacqiB1, and had exactly the same problem - the glaze was hard as a rock, and inedible. My entire family commented about how the Honey Baked Hams just aren't as good as they used to be. Tonite, I went to make a sandwich, and found that almost half of the ham was not spiral cut - meaning that I have to hack and hew on it. If I am paying $9 a pound for a ham that is only half sliced, has no glaze, etc - then Honey Baked may find themselves with a lot less customers next year. This ham costs over $50 - about 4 times the cost of a Krogers spiral cut ham. And folks, start googling HoneyBaked Ham recipes - there are dozens of recipes for the glaze to be found. I fear that my days with HoneyBaked are numbered.

• De
    Delhigirl Apr 26, 2011

Ordered a ham on line for delivery on Thursday, it arrived a day early, on Wednesday (which meant I had to keep it longer on the refrigerator). when I unwrapped it on Saturday, the first slice was green and the whole ham tasted dried out - I will never order online again

• Km
    kmac2 Nov 19, 2011

Also reserved a ham today. I went to the Dallas TX store on Preston to pick up my ham. I have been ordering hams from Honey Baked ham company for years but after my visit today, that will never happen again. When I arrived at the store to pick up my ham, no one asked me if they could help me for 5 minutes and the place was not that crowded. Once I got someone's attention, I presented my reservation ticket. The lady assisting me located my ham in the refrigerator and put it on the counter. The ham was barely covered with a loose, light weight foil that barely covers the ham. The was cold but not unsealed and not frozen (Thanksgiving is more than 7 days away). This was very concerning to me considering the number of folks working and handling the various reserved hams. When I asked for some more foil to completely close up the turkey, the woman told me she didn't have any foil and she wrapped the ham in two store bags. As she did this, she turned the ham in all different directions and as a result, all the juice spilled out. When I asked why she did this, she just looked at me like I was crazy. I asked when the ham was prepared because I was concerned about it being unfrozen and leaving in the refrigerator until Thanksgiving. The manager came over at that point and said it was prepared that morning and told me that the ham "should" be fine. I thought about how they handled the ham, the loose foil, all the handling and decided I wasn't going to take the chance of presenting a poor quality or spoiled ham to my guests and told them to keep them ham. Honey Baked Ham Co. used to be such a customer friendly company with great quality. What happened?

• Je
    Jennifer Prescott May 20, 2012

Whomever answered the phone was probably a holiday worker who didn't pay attention to the "beef" part in your question. They most likely assumed you meant just ribs or thought there was only one type of ribs. Year-round, the customer service at Honeybaked ham is fantastic. I complained about a ham that was too fatty, the manager gladly refunded my money AND gave me a certificate for a future purchase. He explained to me the situation with holiday workers not being as anal toward ham quality as the permanent workers, which is understandable of course. Those poor workers work 60 hours a week during the holiday season and one fatty ham is bound to get past them. Stop complaining about a stupid thing like beef instead of pork ribs (which are AMAZING) and do something worthwhile.

• Je
    Jennifer Prescott May 20, 2012

I worked at Honeybaked Ham. It's true, the corporate offices cannot do anything about an issue coming from a franchised area, it's not the same company, owned by different people, what do you expect them to do? I agree the franchise should have contacted you by now but that's not the corporate honeybaked ham's fault. Just saying.

• Ne
    nestorbocci Jul 04, 2013

I will never buy or go near a honeybaked ham store ever!

• Jc
    JCsgirl Nov 20, 2013

In regards to Honey Baked Ham in Sioux Falls, SD, my first experience was terrible. I walked into the store, looked around, stood at the counter for a few minutes, and no one came out to wait on me. I walked out and didn't go back for a long time. The next few visits were positive. I was impressed with the customer service and the quality of the ham. However, it all went downhill in the last year. I bought a ham that was overdone and burnt on the edge last year, and I contacted Honey Baked Ham headquarters. The store manager apologized and sent me some $10.00 and $5.00 gift cards. I used those a few times at the store. This summer, I bought a pack of ribs. I have always had good ribs from Honey Baked Ham, but these were so bad. They had very little meat on them, the meat was like shredded tree bark (over cooked) and the sauce was not the original Honey Baked Ham sauce. I was grossed out! Yesterday, I went to Honey Baked Ham for lunch. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich. It, too, was really gross. It had no flavor, and it had so much gristle in it that I felt like I was chewing on gum! Unexcusable, and it's terrible that someone would serve this to customers! I will never go back to Honey Baked Ham again.

Taylorh2 Nov 20, 2013

Don't eat murdered animals and there won't be a problem.

• Jc
    JCsgirl Nov 20, 2013

For those of you, who are waiting for a refund, call your bank or credit card company and file a dispute. Explain the situation, that you contacted Honey Baked Ham, but they never issued you a refund. Your bank or credit card company will credit your account.

• Gr
    greg5588768 Dec 24, 2014

I cant believe the quality of this product has gone down soooooooooo much and the company doesnt care!!!
    I accepted a really bad ham one year and couldnt get a refund.
    But when in happened again...
    And I watched how they treated everybody.
    Im in San Diego and its the store on Genessee Ave.
    My god. Do something about this store Honey Baked!!!
    Im out $200 and will not go again.

• Ji
    Jitney Mar 22, 2015

I lived by the Culver City Honey Backed shop back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. The shop was nice enough, service was good, and the Ham was what you'd expect. Good. The sandwiches were great.
    Since I moved back to a town where my mother lives, and taking care of her in her late years of life, I decided to drive to the closest honey baked which is about a 25 mile round trip. I had to try with every bit of my fiber and a nice tip to get the two ladies there to "be nice". One of them clearly doesn't like life. Anytime someone is making food for me I always make sure they know I'm going to tip them. In the case of a store like this you pay before they begin making the food (in the case of sandwiches) so I could tip them first. Anyway, the set up for sandwiches was WEAK, The were OK, not like the Sandwiches I used to get in Culver city, those were the best Ham Sandwiches I've ever eaten, and they were always good.
    I wanted some GOOD Ribs, so I bought 20 dollar slab of beef, usually I only make Baby Back pork but thought the beef would be good and meaty.
    SUCKED! No meat on the bone and what was there wasn't good. For the price there is not excuse.
    Last time I'm honey baking. The photo's, well, they are always good. I was shocked at all the negative comments. Customer Service has really nose dived in America the past 30 years. The past few generations of Americans are missing What the WWII generations had. Honor, discipline, everything they did had to be right and they always kept their word.

Taylorh2 Mar 23, 2015

I'm so sorry that those animals had to die for nothing.

Tamara Lomire Apr 28, 2015

We have been having troubles with a Honey Baked Ham franchise in Duluth, Ga, also.
    In the past we would order a ham for my wife's mother for Mother's Day. Not this year.
    The people at that franchise are rude and there is no way to do business with them.
    We will no longer attempt to purchase anything from Honey Baked Ham. What an awful
    company. Zero customer service, so zero purchases from us.

• Il
    Ilie Petrov Dec 26, 2017

We've been Honey Baked customers for years. Last year we moved to Nevada (Reno area) and there is no store here. We decided to order a 9 lb ham. Ham arrived in time and we put it in the fridge. On Christmas day we opened the ham to warm up several hours before serving. What a disappointment. The famous crust was near absent, , the exterior along with 1/4 in and in some places 1/2 in was burned, the ham (the un-burned portion) was extremely salty and dry. Not sure what changed at Honey Baked; but it is not good. I guess it is prime rib from now on. Goodbye Honey Baked!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices