Gulf Coast ReadersPolicy of orders!

J

I get a phone call to have me order magazines. I have no problem with that. The problem is that I told them that I was moving and would call after the move to give them the new address and then would confirm through there 1-800 number. A Short time passed and then I got nothing in the mail and then got my checking account charged. I called them and they said that I could not cancel my subscription to them. This is wrong and I will find a way to get them to stop my subscription and refund this money. They have hurt me and my family in the bank and I serve this country and this is not how we should be treated.

• Sh
    Shelby G. Swanson Aug 11, 2013

My daughter tried to cancel this less than 24 hours after she inquired on the internet. We have paid in full and have NEVER received any magazines. We have called repeatedly to wich they reply that we have not changed the address on the subscriptions. This is just untrue. The constant calls and bullying are inappropriate. I want a full refund. I will be contacting the numbers listed here.

sandra hensley Mar 23, 2013

would like to cancel. no one will answer the phone now or return my calls

• Pa
    Pamela Yarbrough Sep 19, 2012

I am in a mess with them also. They call me up, and tell me that I will receive a $1000.00 Walmart gift card, never got my gift card, then they tell me it was just a scam, they are trying to get the money out of me, and said they recorded the phone calls, all but the first one. I said why not the first one where they lied to me. They couldn't answer that one. They need to be sued. They are scam artists

• Pr
    Preslove Jun 08, 2012

I never signed up for the magazines. I have been receiving 4 of them. I received a call from a very persistant and rude girl telling me it was time to renew. I told her I had never signed up and asked to cancel, but she said I couldn't and would still charge me for them. I told her I WOULD NOT PAY FOR THEM and I would take them to court.. Our conversation ended abruptly when the girl hung up the phone on me. I haven't heard back, but it has only been about 5 days.

• Rs
    Rserene Aug 02, 2011

Contact 1800helpflorida.com

I have a horror story about GCR, bad customer service, harrassing a.m. Phone calls, refusal to cancel membership ect... I contacted the BBB and 1800helpflorida.com, filled out a formal written complaint that went to state attorney general. They contacted GCR who tried one last attempt to extort 200 dollars from me to cancel my account. I refused and the following week recieved a letter from GCR informing both the Florida attorny general and myself that they had cancelled my account and I had no more financial obligation.

MarlaIsCancer May 18, 2011

This company has been causing me problems since February. It is now mid-May and I've only gotten two of the magazines I asked for plus a bunch of ones I didn't ask for. I canceled my debit card they were billing me from, and I also filed with FTC and BBB. If anything persists, I am getting a lawyer. I'm homeless right now, and I can't afford to buy these magazines, especially when they aren't sending me them in the first place.

• Of
    #@$%:) off in PA May 03, 2011

i had the same issues in 4/11, didn't know anything about GCR, i tried to call and cancel b4 the 7th day and a manager said no to me too, i jus got a letter in the mail saying they were gona debit my acct in a few days and i'm going to the bank tomorrow and try to take care of this mess...shame on all of us for getting ourselves into this, there has to be a way out of this crap!!! thanx all...

Annie Tindell Nov 20, 2010

I Confation Form in the mail I looked at it, but I cant aford tihs Pleause canceal it Pleause refund my [email protected]

• Je
    Jerianne Bachorik Jul 10, 2010

i agree to this bull i never signed a dam contract with these people and how the hell are they going to say it will effect my cradit if I dont pay thanks for the advice im going to chang my account

• Fp
    FPB2 Apr 13, 2010

I don't live in the U.S., nor have I any dealings with this company or their magazines. However, it seems to me that a LOT of people have a legitimate issue with a scam originating from this Company.

My question would be why don't all of you guys pool your resources together, and initiate a Class Action suit or whatever against them? Doing it jointly may be able to close them down.

Just a thought?

• Do
    Donald Shaw Apr 12, 2010

This company called me and said that I won a $500 gift card that all i needed to do is to get some magazines. So that is what I did. I asked the lady on the phone could I cancel She asked why would I do that and I said that five magazine for five years was a lot for me being that I don't get any now and she told me that I could just call and they would take care of it. When I did not get the gift card I call them(they had sent me a letter) according to the letter I had seven days from the day I got the letter to cancel. When I call they told me that I could not cancel because I had to cancel within seven days from the date that they had called me. I told them that I would let every one I know know not to use them. They keep calling me and I told them that I did not have an account with them andhung up. Every time a magazine comes in I just take to the post office an send it back to them. Also I am emailing all of the magazine to let them know what is going on and to stop sending the magazines.

• Gl
    Gloria Tucker Feb 17, 2010

hello to whom this may help. I got a call from golf culb reader's in January to subscribe for some magazines and and I would get a $1000. gift certificated for my purchase. I have not received a gift card, nor any magazines.But I was charge on my credit card in February $39.95 for the magazines. But I called to cancel my order and no one respond to my request to cancel my orders. The best thing for me to do is to cancel my credit card and not give it out no more. I guess I will try to pay cash for everything I purchase.

• St
    Steph Bertran Feb 02, 2010

i called in today and got really angry and sturn with the matter of me wanting my subscription cancelled. i have called three times previously and got the same response of how they couldn't cancelle because of the 7 day time frame. so i called today and stressed the matter of what i was told when i got the offer was completely different than the information from the letter i sent i the mail and if it was my misunderstanding or not i was not happy with this subscription and i wanted it cancelled immediately. of course she faught me on it and wanted to review my tape from my inital call, i told her she could if she wanted but i knew with the scam they were pulling they would find it in their favor anyways. she put me on hold and then came back to tell me that she did cancelle my next 14 months of subscriptions but the one month they already took out could not be processed back to me. i told her i was fine with that but i wanted to make sure i understood it completely that my subscription was completely cancelled and i would not be charged to my account anymore for sure. she said yes and that a verifier would be in contact with me within the next two days. i called my bank right after that call and explained the matters to them, they said they were doing debit purchases for the subscription and that they would cancelle my card and send me a new one but i was to recieve anymore transactions on my account from this company i could disput and recieve the money back. hope this helps guys!!

• Ry
    ryan1000 Dec 04, 2009

This company is a bunch of con artist they are they took money from account for magazines that told them i didn't want and wouldn't refund my money .now I'm stuck with mags. that i dont want If you are reading this message PLEASE DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM GULF COAST READERS!!!EVER!!!

• Ho
    hogs14 Nov 30, 2009

What a "JOKE". I was looking on line at ordering "ESPN The Magazine" and filled out part of the application but never sent it in. I started receiving phone calls almost the same day from GULF COAST READERS about ordering ESPN magazine for $39.90 for 12 monthly issues, it was cheaper than I could do online. So I said ok. On 10/23/2009 my account was debited $39.90 and on 10/24/09 I received a letter in the mail about a 3 years subscription to 5 other magazines for a total of $598.50. At the "BACK" of the letter was a cancellation that had to be done within 7 days, I did it that same day of receiving it, and mailed it.

I had yet to receive "A" OR "ANY" magazine and have from day 1 tried to call them several times a day and would always get an answering machine..."All agents were busy leave a message" did at least 30 times. Tonight at 7:44pm central time I called and finally got an agent on the phone and guess what, they never received my cancellation, no notes where I called, and the magazines that they were to send me per the letter they mailed were not even the ones he had in his system. I ask if he could cancel it for and guess what again>...NO...A manager would call me at noon...not sure why at noon but oh well. The numbers to contact them are [protected]-637-6959

They need to be shut down.

• Jy
    jyoung090 Aug 26, 2009

Ok so this happend to me with golf coast readers it was a day before my wedding and they called me so as you all know you not quite listening, i took the deal at 6.95. then they told me i had 7 days to cancel lost the number and forgot about it, then they removed 59.90 from my bank accnt, called them to cancel even through no magizens were delivered they wont. So the only solution is to go to your bank and cancel that accnt open a new one these people need to be stopped.

• Ki
    Kimberly Nealy Aug 10, 2009

Last comment Mimi... We all run into financial problems and especially in todays world, we are Americans and have the right to change our mind.
    They told me the same thing, they never received my cancellation, that is BS, they said it needed to be sent Certified Mail. I asked them who gets the mail, someone has to open the regular mail. This is a Scam...

• Re
    rebel02007 Jul 12, 2009

I tried all of the stuff that youns have suggested and it doesn't work. i went ahead and ordered the magazines and they said that when i recieved the papers in a few days if i had changed my mind to mail them back to cancel. i never recieved the papers. i tried calling and canceling after reading all of this some time later cause i didn't remember their number and they informed me that if i dont pay they will just turn me over to a collection agency and collect anyway and that it will hurt my credit. as a twenty year old that is just getting my credit established and having good credit already never missing any of my payments that is something i will not allow. i suggest that you just accept that you have made a mistake and pay for it as i am. they did tell me that if you are in a bind and need a couple of months without a payment to call and they will help you. and in the meantime let everyone you know not to order from them. thats all we can do is warn others not to make the same mistake and to pay for ours.

Mizz Liberty Apr 24, 2009

HEY! if you want to stop them from charging you, order a new card from YOUR BANK.
    When you receive your new card, cancel your OLD ONE. I just did that now and i feel so relieved!!! US bank has been a wonderful bank to me so far...plus let the bank know what your problem is, they will take care of it!

joice Apr 24, 2009

Im having a problem with this company, Im about to be charged the third time, $39.95 this month, I didn't get any magazine!! and i was told i cant cancel!! i hate this gulf coast readers, what im gonna do is, I will cancel my account in the bank.

james2008 Apr 24, 2009

I just gave my account number and info to these ppl cus I too was excited that I could get 5 magazines for 3.95 a week. So then they told me it would be 14.95 a month then I talked to Paula the supervisor. She then dropped the monthly cost to 9.95 a month but then she told me that they will charge 39.95 to my account cus ppl get bored seeing 9.95 subtracted from their account every month for 60 months. After I did this transaction my boyfriend kept telling me it was a scam. So I came online and googled it just to find all these complaints and so now I'm calling my bank hoping that I can stop these ppl before they even take any of my money. Thank you guys for posting these complaints. I made a mistake as I so very often do and now I'm hoping to stop them before they even start.

• Vi
    vish Apr 04, 2009

most of the stories sound similar, has anyone found a way to get out of this mess?
    cancellation of credit cards?
    BBB complaints?
    any light at the end of the tunnel?

• Up
    upsetinidaho Mar 22, 2009

I got a call from gulf coast readers and the whole sale really appealed to me at first with getting 5 of my favorite mags a month for only $3 a week. then i was put on the phone with a supervisor to confirm my order and the price went up to $5 a week. i thought what the heck might as well try it out and i specifically asked this supervisor if there is any way to cancel the subscription after a while if i decide i dont want the mags and she assured me there was. so in the meantime i asked my husband if it was a good idea and he said i should cancel the subscription asap. as soon as i received the order form with the variety of mags and read the slip at the bottom to cancel, i mailed it in. I mailed in the cancellation slip the next day after i received it and thought everything was fine. until today when i looked at my bank account and saw that this stupid scamming company took $40 out!!! now seeing all of these complaints i dont understand how this company is still in business screwing over people! its sickening. GULF COAST READERS IS A SCAM!!! THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY!

• Ap
    aprilmay Feb 26, 2009

they called me and said it would be three dollars a months and than they called me back and said it would be 40.00 dollars a month.so i told them i didnt want it and they still took money out of my bank.

mimi Jan 27, 2009

You should not complain! You opted for these magazines...How the hell are they going to charge you if you didn't open your mouth and give them credit card information...It's like telling a thief, " My house is open, but don't touch a thing ok?" You can complain all you want but if you confirmed that you wanted the subscription, you shouldn't have mercy. It's all your fault! So be an american, and not a low life, and pay your damn bills!

• Hu
    hua808 Jan 26, 2009

I KNOW I HAD JUST SENT A CHECK FOR FIFTY DOLLARS TO THEM AND I HAD DECIDED TO GO ONLINE TO SEE IF THEY HAD A WEBSITE AND I FOUND ALL THIS...I IMMEDIATELY WENT TO MY BANK AND PUT A STOP PAYMENT ON THAT CHECK I HAD JUST SENT THEM...THIS COMPANY IS MESSED UP...I PUT A COMPLAINT TO ABOUT THEM AS A MAGAZINE SCAM...I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHEN I SAW ALL THIS TODAY...THEY SHOULD REFUND US ALL...

Milton Appelhof Jan 23, 2009

I had a call from two different personnel about magazines which I did not order and do not want. Please delete this order as I do not want them.

Milton Appelhof
    [protected]

• Li
    Lil_Mo Jan 03, 2009

i THINK MOST PEOPLE THAT HAVE ORDERED THIS SERVICE ARE JUST UPSET BECAUSE THEY MADE AN AGREEMENT AND NOW WANT TO BACK OUT.. ITS LIKE GETTING A CAR YOU CANT BUY A CAR AND THEN SAY YOU ARENT PAYING AND THEN KEEP THE CAR.. BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS... PLUS IF YOUR KIDS ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO OREDER THIS AND GIVE OUT DEBIT INFO OF THEIR OWN OR OF THEIR PARENTS SMACK YOUR KID NOT THE COMPANY THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB... YOU PEOPLE COMPLAIN AND MAKE COMPANIES LOOK BAD FOR NO REASON...

• Wi
    Winnon Zimmerman Nov 23, 2008

I am stuck in a second contract which was started before the first contract was ended. I am convinced that golf coast readers is messing with their recording systems and no one can find out because it is an inside job. I am sure that I made a commitment to myself not to renew my contract and was waiting impatenly for my contract to end when I was told by Golf Coast Readers that they are going to take me to the credit bureau because I owe money on a new contract which I did not know anything about. I post this comment because if they try to get me again without my knowledge It is going to be a big obnusious law suit on their hands and the FBI will have to be on their tail this time. I admit I do like to brows ocassionly but this time I wanted the magazines to stop and was forced into a second contract. Golf Coast Readers You need to be honest to your clients someone is going to get you sooner than you think it is true and you know it.

jaimee Nov 10, 2008

THE WORST SCEAMERS EVER!!! Dont fall for thir kniving talk . This company lies and talks in circls to get people to open accounts. They lie and claim to be companies they are not. They are extreamly rude and refer to their clients as "hun" as a way of belittiling people. They start the call of by using the horrible economy as a way to luer you in but dont really give you an option to not subscribe for the magazines. Dont fall for thir lies People they are horrible.

Johnny Thunder Oct 04, 2008

Gulf Coast Readers inc. is run by Anthony Moulder. He also ran Midwest Readers out of Minnesota.

Here's their address and phone number in Florida...

Gulf Coast Readers inc
    1327 A Lafayette Street
    Cape Coral, FL 33904

Phone:[protected]

• Wi
    william adams Sep 11, 2008

We decide to cancel our subscription. I sent in the paper verifying that we wanted to do this. Three weeks later I get a bill saying they're going to deduct my account. They has as of yet not returned my calls either. I will be calling my bank and putting a stop to this effective immediately. Buyer beware do not ever do business with GULF COAST READERS.

Angela Nicole S. Sep 03, 2008

These people are hell to deal with. I subscribed to magazines through Gulf Coast Readers and canceled my subscription by mail within the cancellation period, however I continued to receive magazines and now they're calling me asking for their payments. I refuse to pay for something that I cancelled. She kept asking me why I didn't call the 1-800 number to cancel, but I shouldn't have to call the number if they give me a form to fill out and mail in! I'm not sure what to do with these people.

• Ba
    BarbSmith Sep 02, 2008

I called to cancelled they said I couldn't even though I had not received any magazines and they said I wouldn't for about 6 weeks so to me that is plenty of time to cancel- well they charged by card and then I cancelled my card - so now I am getting phone calls with pay off amounts of 4 and 5 hundred dollars - does anyone know if I can have the post office stop delivery of there magazines ?- This is nuts -

• Te
    Teresa Jul 18, 2008

Also - If they have made charges through your credit card, be sure to file with your CC agency -- they can process a chargeback against the company. Some of the Credit Card Chargeback Reason Codes used may be one of the following: "Unauthorized Billing", "Cancel Recurring Bill", "Non Receipt of Merchandise" - among others.

Protect yourselves people - don't let them continue to get away with this.

• Te
    Teresa Jul 18, 2008

Gulf Coast Readers is a scam operation. It is beyond me how people can report to a "job" like this every day. To all of you folks who have been swindled... check out this information from the FTC... http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/tmarkg/magzn.shtm ... and then PLEASE FILE COMPLAINTS with the following agencies:

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION...
    you can file complaints online with them at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
    and then file at
    where they keep a running tally and work with other offices (like the BBB, etc)

THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU...

AND, last, but NOT LEAST - YOUR STATES ATTORNEY'S GENERAL OFFICE (just do a google search by your state and attorney general). Almost all states allow you to file the complaints online.

ALSO - I would recommend sending a "cease and desist" letter to Gulf Coast Readers - making it crystal clear that you are also notifying all of these other agencies, your state's AG. Make sure you send the letter Certified AND Return Receipt Requested. (this will cost about $15. - but it will hold up in court)

MOST OF ALL - do NOT let them bully you. If you have the means, I would pick up a recording device, and if they call again - make a POINT of saying "Hold on, I need to record this conversation"... take as many moments/minutes as necessary to get the recording going.

Don't let them get you.

Mike O'Connell Jun 19, 2008

I have a simple solution to this problem as I had to deal with this company. I called them a few times and either got hung up on or got an answering machine. You ready for your solution?? Simply call your bank and/or credit card company and explain your situation. Then ask them if it is possible to get a new card. This should fixthe problem as the card they have access to will be no longer activated. Let em know how this turns out.

• Da
    David Evans May 15, 2008

I have a bit of a problem i have been getting alot of mags. from this place and they were takin money from my account i call the 1 800 number and asked too stop sending the mags and not take anymore payments its now two months later and they are still takin money out of my account unless someone going to pay my bill i think i need a refund. cause thanks to gulf coast i can't pay my bill what should be done about this i need a answer

andrea May 05, 2008

I am in the same thing but four months ago they told me i only had five more payments noe they are telling me i have fifteen more i need to know how to stop this

• Su
    sue Apr 18, 2008

My daughter also is in this mess with Gulf Coast Readers.Since when we order a magazine and didn't want to subscribe any longer, this person told her she could'nt cancell her order and if she did she would have to still pay the sum of 500.00 . This is a rip off and I believe a scam. Something needs to be done .