[Resolved] grammarly.comover billing & billing on closed account

I Review updated:

I wanted to check out Grammarly.com - the online grammar checker. I opted for a 1 month only plan. So I was to be charged about USD 20/- for that. Little did I realize that in the reams of fine print they state that despite you choosing a 1-month only plan, they enroll you and keep charging you beyond the month. I called & mailed, but no one returns the calls. The customer service always gos to an answering machine and the sole message I got was a standard blah blah about how Grammarly.com keeps billing to ensure uninterrupted service ; this despite you requesting a 1 month only plan! I resigned myself to the scam and closed my account pronto. Now the account is closed but I am still being charged. This is the 3 rd months now! Again calls/support queries are not answered.

To anyone wanting to use Grammarly.com, be careful it is scam! the software is slow and horrible to boot...

RESOLVED

• Grammarly's response · Sep 20, 2010

ear Grammarly user,

My name is Gregory Carpets and I am a senior customer support representative at Grammarly.com. We are sorry to see your comments regarding Grammarly experience, while thousands benefit from our writing assistance technology.

In order for me to assist, can you please provide the email you used for Grammarly registration? I will make sure to track your account and see what might have been wrong. Please contact me at [email protected]

For your reference, please review Grammarly billing policy at http://www.grammarly.com/terms.php#billi…

With a hope to change your Grammarly usage experience.

Gregory Carpets
    Source(s):
    www.grammarly.com

• Grammarly's response · Dec 18, 2013

Dear User,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. If you opened a free trial with us and have paid for a subscription, but are having issues with accessing the program, there may have been a glitch in account processing or in the program itself. Knowing about these issues, is critical for Grammarly to improve customer experience and product quality.

Now, based on what you have written, it is not quite clear what has happened on our end. We are more than happy to help you get to the bottom of this—that is, figure out why you haven't been able to use the program and find a satisfying resolution. In order to do this, however, our support team will need more information. I kindly ask that you write to the Grammarly Support team as soon as possible. You can reach them at [email protected] Please be sure to include a clear description of the issues you have been experiencing as well as your Grammarly login email so that they can investigate the Grammarly account.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience, but our team is dedicated to resolving these issues for you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kindly,

Kimberly Joki

Community Manager

• Grammarly's response · May 21, 2014

Hello,

My name is Kimberly Joki. I am the Community Manager and a Support Representative at Grammarly.com. I hope to address not only the primary complaint posted here but also offer some useful information to address the subsequent comments on this post.

Regarding billing and proper cancellation, as with any subscription, we do use continuous billing to ensure uninterrupted service. If you would like to cancel your subscription and prevent all future scheduled payments, please follow the instructions below:

1. Login to your Grammarly.com account.

2. Click on the Subscription tab to the left.

3. Click the "Manage Payment" link.

4. Then click on the "Cancel subscription" link and "Cancel my subscription" button.

This will result in downgrading your account to the free version starting with the next billing cycle (according to your subscription plan). This action permanently cancels all future payments.

Regarding the continued charges AFTER cancellation, this can only happen if you still have an active account with Grammarly.com. An open account could exist if you had set up an older account and forgot to cancel or if you set up a duplicate account with a mistyped email. In either scenario, our support team is more than glad to help you investigate and close any duplicate accounts.

Finally, regarding our support, the FASTEST and MOST EFFECTIVE way to reach our team is via support emails. Replies to automatic emails sometimes get lost. So we strongly encourage customers to write to us directly. The direct email to support is [email protected] Turnaround time for email support is within 24 hours, except on weekends, which are guaranteed within 48 hours. Emails to support should include:
    - a clear description of the issue you are having
    - the login email address associated with your Grammarly.com account
    - any other possible email addresses you may have used to set up your account (in the case of continued billing after cancellation)

At this time, we do not offer a live telephone support line. We DO offer voicemail and callback support. If you call us and leave your name and phone number (or request a call via email), we will return your call as soon as possible (usually the same day). You can also cancel your Grammarly account via phone by leaving a voicemail. Simply be sure to clearly state your name, account email address, and the action you would like taken.

I sincerely hope that this clarifies any questions or confusion you have about Grammarly billing and support. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or visit our support portal at http://support.grammarly.com for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Kindly,

Kimberly Joki

Community Manager/Support Representative

• Updated by Yasin Samia Omar · May 21, 2018

Hope to get my refund and continue to keep using this platform

• Updated by Robin Renouf · Jun 16, 2019

just take your grammarly off my computer

No Dope Oct 02, 2010

Thank goodness for google! Just when I was considering signing up for a membership with Grammarly.com, I opted to to do a little digging on their background. Cut and paste, robot-like replies that have grammatical mistakes leave much to be desired. Did this guy use Grammarly to proof his message before submitting it?

Who would trust a company that refuses to cancel memberships in a timely fashion, and diverts their elusive customer service department to countering negative remarks instead of doing their jobs? While Grammarly.com may think that they can sweep complaints under the rug instead of addressing them head on, they'll soon learn when the number of new people signing up starts to drop. In fact, scam companies like Grammarly.com are seldom managed by people competent enough to get the big picture before they end up going bankrupt. You might have a swell product with a ton of bells and whistles, but if you can't operate like a reputable company then you might as well hang up the towel now. I feel terrible about the person who is having this issue, but you have undoubtedly saved many people from the same fate.

Ann Johnson Oct 20, 2010

Hello. I’m the Head of Customer Support at Grammarly. We take all customer feedback very seriously, and make it our outmost priority to support our users in a timely fashion. Our team worked with the customer to solve the issue, and we determined that the issue occurred because the customer mistyped email address when creating a Grammarly account, so our customer support associates could not connect further requests from this customer to the original account. The issue is corrected now, and the client was issued a full refund. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Serving over 500, 000 users at 300+ colleges and universities around the globe, Grammarly is the leading writing support technology on the market. Responding to the growing demand, we are constantly ramping up our customer support operations to assist our subscribers better. Our company is fully committed to improving customer experience, and we make every effort to support our users in expedited fashion. Our users appreciate our hard work – with about 2, 000 friends of Grammarly’s recently launched Facebook page (and growing!) and in countless testimonials that we receive from our clients every day. We encourage you to visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grammarly/139729956046003 and follow our sister site, Sentenceworks, on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/sentenceworks.

• Bl
    Blaine Fredrickson Dec 27, 2018

@Ann Johnson It's a scam and you know it. You do your best to cover it up and act all innocent. But you keep charging people after they've cancelled, and it doesn't stop. NO, it's definitely not just one person, it's thousands! We just want the charges to stop. When I cancel, I don't want more charges coming on my credit card. I want the charges to stop!

• Pz
    pzz Nov 09, 2010

Let me get this straight. One (1) person has a beef with Grammarly and is posting it all over the net. One effing guy?? This is stupid.

Maslow35 May 03, 2011

This is happening to me as well. I have tried to reset my password so that I can cancel my subscription and it is never sent to me. I have been charged for several months and I am pissed. They do not provide a phone number to contact if there is a problem. The original password I signed up with is said to be incorrect. Do not use this site!!!

• Ki
    Kim Thompson Jun 08, 2011

I paid Grammarly $40 for a 3 month subscription. They took the money right out of my paypal. Two days later, they canceled my subscription...but didn't give me a refund. They still have my $40! The only phone number I can find rings once and quits...and they don't solve crap on their help desk. Ugggg I swear if they don't straighten this out, I'm gonna paste it all over the net what they did to me...

• Ce
    Cello Jun 22, 2011

Hi,

I was doing myself some research on grammarly, for I was very much interested in using their services. I found some intriguing things in the process, including the ones noted above in this forum, but I guess the most intriguing - not to say scary - was when I pasted a chapter from Harry Potter, and Grammarly pointed 275 "critical writing issues" and gave a rating of "0" (zero) and called it "poor". The attachment shows that result, but you can do the test yourself. I found that to be staggering to say the least, because that means either J.K. Rowling is a very bad writer or Grammarly is a very bad software...

• Ov
    overlyemotional Jul 29, 2011

I agree with everyone. Anyone and everyone should know to never use Grammarly.com. They don't have a customer service to resolve issues quickly and as I have read all over the internet, everyone who has used Grammarly and then canceled has had their accounts charged for months without people from Grammarly helping. I hope that this company is shut down.

Salli26 Mar 24, 2012

The same thing happened I was charged up to 60 pounds in two months, and I requested for a refund but no one has gotten back to me and to add insult to injury my essay was plegerised on turn it In because it shows that it already exist. I hate them, scammers, pls don't use this site GRAMMERLY they are thieves

• I've been a professional editor of scientific articles for 20 years, starting from a background in science rather than in editing. With some trepidation, I tried Grammerly's free trial. They claimed to find many weaknesses in a good piece I took from Wikipedia. Most tellingly, the short customer service responses seen above have some features that look ugly to me, e.g.: "In order for me to assist" is a wordy variant of "For me to assist"; "We take all customer feedback very seriously, and make it our outmost priority to support" should have no comma because it is a single sentence with a compound predicate rather than a compound sentence. Thank goodness I checked before I bought. Thanks for your great service.

• Br
    bregood Apr 30, 2012

I just discovered that Grammarly has been billing me for two years though I signed up for a one month only membership. Doesn't seem to be a customer service line anywhere. Surprised since BBB gives them an A- rating.

• Do
    Doctore May 17, 2012

I used grammarly in the past. As an a non-native speaker, I found their services usefull. However, I got pissed off when I realized that they charged me an annual fee. I did not know it was recurring. I had to contact PayPal and create a dispute with them.

• Pi
    PissOff Person Jun 04, 2012

Grammarly is a fraud site. I have a credit card charge on my account for $139.95 from this company that I did not authorize, I never even heard of this website until I saw the fraud charges. I did not authorize this charge and even after trying to dispute it with my stupid credit card company, they resolved it in favor of grammarly. I can't even find a damn number to this effin' website to call and speak to someone about my fraud charges.

• Pa
    Patrick Treacy Jun 08, 2012

I agree Grammarly is a total fraud site. I also had a credit card charge on my account for $139.95 from this company that I did not authorize, I also never even heard of this website until I saw the fraud charges. I did not authorize this charge and Paypal quickly blocked them down. HOW DARE THEY TAKE MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. This company is a SCAM!

• Cm
    cmbb Jun 30, 2012

I am dealing with the same issue with Grammarly. I have tried to contact them via phone, email etc, and have received no response. My next step is to report them to the fraud department at Citibank to ensure that they stop charging my credit card. I also plan to report them to the CA Consumer Fraud department.

• Sm
    Smithenes Aug 07, 2012

I canceled my Grammarly subscription within the trial period. They tried to charge my credit card anyway. They don't have a phone number for customers to call. Will have to file a fraud claim with my card issuer to stop these slimy crooks.

From the comments around the web, it appears they intentionally charge customers after the trial period.

• Ko
    Koroste Aug 27, 2012

I canceled my subscription within the free trial period. They then proceeded to charge my account anyway. Now my account is overdrawn and I have to pay the fees. Thanks Grammarly...now I will be walking to and from work. No money for gas this week.

• Rn
    rnrhb Dec 06, 2012

Approximately year ago I decided to give a try to Grammarly, and signed up for their 7 day trial. However, I decided to cancel my account within the trial period, because I didn't think it was that great. Yesterday 12/5/12 (after year later of my cancellation) I noticed how Grammarly had billed my credit card for $95.45. I was so furious and immediately e-mailed their "customer service" and told them that I would file fraudulent charges against their company if the money wasn't returned immediately. Fortunately, I got the response back from their customer service rep Lori, who stated the that indeed the charges were incorrect, and how she was planning to issue me a refund within 10 business days. This company is such a big scam, AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ANY COST.

• Bl
    Blaine Fredrickson Dec 27, 2018

@rnrhb Keep watching your credit card. They'll start charging you again and again. It will never stop.

• Es
    Eswar.S Mar 01, 2013

Please don't ever use this site.I would hardly suggest anyone not to give even a try to this site.At first registeration itself the system will forcefully asks you to enter credit card/debit card details or paypal account.There is a 7 days trail period and i am not sure about ther charging mechanism after that.I opted for 7 days and filled up the registration detail through my debit card.But twice i faced registration failed saying the system could, 't validate the debit card number and results in vain.But the amount was debited.This was one of the worst experience i ever faced online.did anyone heard about choosing 7 days trail pack that too not even completing the registration, and getting screwed up.This is completely ###.

Regards
    Eswar.

• Mi
    mijo4 Mar 28, 2013

i have a mac and can't seem to download this app and since it's been 3 wks and i have discovered that there is no customer service to talk to and i wanted to ask how to download and now i am stuck ...trying to figure it out by myself...any tips ...will close my debit if i have to avoid charges...

• Ba
    balogun2 Jul 01, 2013

Please run away from gramarly.com. They are fraudulent. I subscribed to their 7 days trial services and cancelled before the expiration of the trial period . But to my amaze, they made two unauthorized withdrawals from my bank account. I tried to contact them by phone but no one answered my calls. I believe they intentionally set up the phone just to deceive potential victims. I have contacted my bank and hopefully something positive will come out of it. However, I want the general public to be aware of their scam and not fall victim.
    It is obvious they are out to defraud people of their money since their are similar complaints made by many people even before now. I wish I had checked their integrity before registering my bank information on their website.

• Ko
    KookieK Oct 18, 2013

Add me to the list! I just noticed they deducted $139.95 out of my account for what? I never authorized that transaction and followed THEIR policy on the trial membership! I've called, but the 800 number is only a voicemail...what reputable company has a customer support number that's only a voicemail? NEVER use Grammerly...what a rip-off! I would suggest EVERYONE contact the BBB submit your complaints there...or as the contact person above stated "go to our facebook/twitter page" and post your comments there as well!! When enough people read about how this company TRICKS you into taking your money...and how horrible their customer relations is...maybe then, they will realize how important it is to run a more reputable company!

• Mi
    MichMacon Nov 15, 2013

I am pretty unhappy with this company right now. My membership is not due until today, just when I am going to cancel my membership, then I found out that they already charged me three days ago and there isn't any phone number that I can call to talk to a real person to get this problem resolve!

Madman32 Dec 17, 2013

I signed up for the free subscription for 7 days, then I mistakenly signed up for the year subscription. (That part is my fault). However, I decided to cancel my account. The problem is where is my subscription or my money back? I can't use the service, but I have 11 months left of service?? What the hell is wrong with you crooks. I am reporting you to the attorney general, bbb, and my bank for fraud. Thanks for nothing you crooks. Do not deal with grammerly!!! They will dupe you!!!

• Kn
    Kniclac Apr 04, 2014

I have to say that I was pretty nervous about asking Grammarly to refund my money to me. They charged me an entire years subscription in one charge even though I put in a cancellation. I got a bit angry in an email I wrote to the customer service after seeing all of your posts on this complaints board, and I was clearly a bit too hasty. Within two hours I received an email back from one of the representatives (for some reason there are no customer representatives via phone) who had already put the full 139 dollars back into my account. I really don't see this as a scam site and I would have to say overall, they run a good company. Just be careful and check your account to make sure nothing has been billed.. Keep your cancellation emails and documents as proof as well. If you do, you'll have no problems at all.

• Ri
    Richard Gladwell May 21, 2014

I signed up for Grammarly less than a month ago, paid the full year's subscription, now it won't let me log in - and wants another subscription.

Why??

Richard

• In
    Ingrid Maier Oct 27, 2014

(1) In the Terms and Conditions, under License, is the first usage of the designation "IP", but I cannot find a defination of this abbreviation. Perhaps this is a tech term of which I am ignorant, because I am a word nerd and not a techie. (2) It seems they did not use their own tool on this agreement, because under Warranty Disclaimers, they mention "ALLL" in the phrase "WITH ALLL FAULTS". (3) I almost got dizzy trying to figure out what they DO cover/provide/ensure/guarantee. It seems the disclaimers protect them from any and all (or ALLL) responsibility or liability. Their lawyers had a field day. (4) One complainant above notes surprise that the service seems fraudulent when they had a good rating from the Better Business Bureau; this must be a really young person, because in the universe of seeking consumer protections, one soon learns that the BBB is a toothless watchdog. (5) I know this is picky of me, but the support person offers to assist the customer. Assist sounds so phony; why not just "help"? (6) A red flag for me was the default password on the form to sign up for the free trial. This conversation has helped me avoid the type of mistake that I suspected buying from this company would be. Thanks, folks.

• Al
    Almaz Yktybaev Nov 20, 2014

I was charged 140 dollars for free trial and I used Grammarly only one day (1500 words). I sent them e-mail and Kasey sent me back this response:

I have also reviewed your account history, and according to our billing records, your subscription was cancelled after the seven-day free trial period expired. Therefore, we are unable to refund your initial payment per our Terms of Service and License Agreement (http://www.grammarly.com/terms#billing). For your reference, here is an excerpt from our Terms of Service and License Agreement:

“This Agreement shall continue until you cancel your subscription or until terminated by Grammarly. You may cancel your subscription at any time. All Fees paid or accrued in connection with any Service are non-refundable. Except as may be expressly set forth herein, Grammarly will not prorate any Fees paid for a subscription that is terminated before the end of its term.”

How can I return my money, is there any procedures to solve this problem? I am student and it was charged from my scholarship, I don't know what to do. Please give me a reasonable advise.

• Gm
    G. M. C. May 04, 2015

Grammarly.com charged my account after only 4 days of using their "trial" product.
    I cancelled my "trial" and they charged me $29.95.
    Stay away from this "trial"

• Am
    Amir Seán Aug 29, 2015

Really bad services and I had a horrid customer service agent named: 'Mila' don't waste your money on this junk scam company. It's really bad and the customer services is as rubbish as the so-called services. I asked for my money back within the 14 days they advertised and they changed it to 7 days! really rubbish company and Mila was appalling and rude in her response and non-response, as she didn't follow up on my question . I may consider getting in touch with Student Unions to inform students to use alternative companies if they don't refund my money back.

• Ne
    NecoDomini Dec 01, 2015

Thank god that Grammarly thought that my gmail didn't exist. I couldn't get an account and was coming here in search of help. Now, I'm not even going to try. Thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm in highschool and can't afford to be caught up in a scam like this.

manuprak Apr 22, 2016

I am irritated and annoyed the way these guys are scamming. We have been charged last year and this year for 139.95 for services which have not been used. They do not answer phone calls. THIS IS A SCAM SERVICE

• Dj
    DJBorder Jun 01, 2017

An automatic annual renewal was set up and payment - $139.99 - taken without my authority. No warning was given that a payment was to be taken. I have instructed my solicitor to try and get my money back.

Sarah1234321 May 19, 2018

I was charged $139.95 without my knowledge or consent I contacted their customer service right away but I have not gotten any response for weeks, phone number just says to go to their site, no customer service on their Facebook site. Now I will try to file a charge back claim with my credit card. Total scam company. BEWARE!

• Nt
    NT123 Jun 02, 2018

Hi

I had a Grammarly account, but because of poor services I canceled my account. I do not understand that why I am being charged for this month by AED 113.31 or 30 Dollars, when I have already cancelled my account.

I need this money to be refunded immediately, else being the practising lawyer, I am willing to sue Grammarly for fraud and misrepresentation.

This is insane. I need refund to be processed within 2 hours.

Sincerely,
    Nandini

• Th
    Thinking Ahead Jul 18, 2018

Grammarly have an option on their premium with is more expensive than a regular subscription, but without informing you or send you a reminder they take the money from your account credit card or PayPal the following month, then when you try to cancel, they do no find your e-mail in their system. This is a very fishy way of doing business, stay away from GrammarSCAM.

• Br
    bridgette chan Aug 20, 2018

I would like them to add a back button!!!

• Ya
    Yasin Samia Omar Aug 20, 2018

Hi, I would like a refund on my annual purchase and change to monthly. There is some additional information. I would like a response fast this is an emergency.

Your Plan: ANNUAL
    Price: $139.95
    Start Date: 05/21/2018
    Renewal Date: 05/21/2019

• Be
    Beatrice Lutchmiah Aug 20, 2018

On 05/06 I was billed twice for $29.95 since your company does not have a phone number I have to contact my bank and file a fraudulent case.

• Go
    Goldy Tomy Aug 21, 2018

I'm working on my research paper, so took the Grammarly subscription. I added the word plug-in and it's too slow to detect any plagiarism.

• Ca
    Carla Skidmore Sep 01, 2018

I do have a complaint regarding Grammarly. I wrote a letter to my grandson and in that letter, I used the word "landline." That word was flagged as incorrect stating that I should have used "land line." Then, the two words were flagged, again, and Grammarly stated that it should have been one word, "landline." So back and forth we went between the two words.
    I have Grammarly with no cost and I certainly would not pay for this addition, as I can use a dictionary.
    However, Grammarly has to decide which use of a word or words is correct, and not give two opposite answers. To use the vernacular, "get your sh#t together, " or go out of business.
    Sincerely,
    Carla Skidmore

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices