grammarly.comover billing & billing on closed account

I Review updated:

I wanted to check out Grammarly.com - the online grammar checker. I opted for a 1 month only plan. So I was to be charged about USD 20/- for that. Little did I realize that in the reams of fine print they state that despite you choosing a 1-month only plan, they enroll you and keep charging you beyond the month. I called & mailed, but no one returns the calls. The customer service always gos to an answering machine and the sole message I got was a standard blah blah about how Grammarly.com keeps billing to ensure uninterrupted service ; this despite you requesting a 1 month only plan! I resigned myself to the scam and closed my account pronto. Now the account is closed but I am still being charged. This is the 3 rd months now! Again calls/support queries are not answered.

To anyone wanting to use Grammarly.com, be careful it is scam! the software is slow and horrible to boot...

RESOLVED

• Grammarly's response · Sep 20, 2010

ear Grammarly user,

My name is Gregory Carpets and I am a senior customer support representative at Grammarly.com. We are sorry to see your comments regarding Grammarly experience, while thousands benefit from our writing assistance technology.

In order for me to assist, can you please provide the email you used for Grammarly registration? I will make sure to track your account and see what might have been wrong. Please contact me at [email protected]

For your reference, please review Grammarly billing policy at http://www.grammarly.com/terms.php#billi…

With a hope to change your Grammarly usage experience.

Gregory Carpets
    Source(s):
    www.grammarly.com

• Grammarly's response · Dec 18, 2013

Dear User,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. If you opened a free trial with us and have paid for a subscription, but are having issues with accessing the program, there may have been a glitch in account processing or in the program itself. Knowing about these issues, is critical for Grammarly to improve customer experience and product quality.

Now, based on what you have written, it is not quite clear what has happened on our end. We are more than happy to help you get to the bottom of this—that is, figure out why you haven't been able to use the program and find a satisfying resolution. In order to do this, however, our support team will need more information. I kindly ask that you write to the Grammarly Support team as soon as possible. You can reach them at [email protected] Please be sure to include a clear description of the issues you have been experiencing as well as your Grammarly login email so that they can investigate the Grammarly account.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience, but our team is dedicated to resolving these issues for you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kindly,

Kimberly Joki

Community Manager

• Grammarly's response · May 21, 2014

Hello,

My name is Kimberly Joki. I am the Community Manager and a Support Representative at Grammarly.com. I hope to address not only the primary complaint posted here but also offer some useful information to address the subsequent comments on this post.

Regarding billing and proper cancellation, as with any subscription, we do use continuous billing to ensure uninterrupted service. If you would like to cancel your subscription and prevent all future scheduled payments, please follow the instructions below:

1. Login to your Grammarly.com account.

2. Click on the Subscription tab to the left.

3. Click the "Manage Payment" link.

4. Then click on the "Cancel subscription" link and "Cancel my subscription" button.

This will result in downgrading your account to the free version starting with the next billing cycle (according to your subscription plan). This action permanently cancels all future payments.

Regarding the continued charges AFTER cancellation, this can only happen if you still have an active account with Grammarly.com. An open account could exist if you had set up an older account and forgot to cancel or if you set up a duplicate account with a mistyped email. In either scenario, our support team is more than glad to help you investigate and close any duplicate accounts.

Finally, regarding our support, the FASTEST and MOST EFFECTIVE way to reach our team is via support emails. Replies to automatic emails sometimes get lost. So we strongly encourage customers to write to us directly. The direct email to support is [email protected] Turnaround time for email support is within 24 hours, except on weekends, which are guaranteed within 48 hours. Emails to support should include:
    - a clear description of the issue you are having
    - the login email address associated with your Grammarly.com account
    - any other possible email addresses you may have used to set up your account (in the case of continued billing after cancellation)

At this time, we do not offer a live telephone support line. We DO offer voicemail and callback support. If you call us and leave your name and phone number (or request a call via email), we will return your call as soon as possible (usually the same day). You can also cancel your Grammarly account via phone by leaving a voicemail. Simply be sure to clearly state your name, account email address, and the action you would like taken.

I sincerely hope that this clarifies any questions or confusion you have about Grammarly billing and support. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or visit our support portal at http://support.grammarly.com for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Kindly,

Kimberly Joki

Community Manager/Support Representative

• Updated by Yasin Samia Omar · May 21, 2018

Hope to get my refund and continue to keep using this platform

• Updated by Robin Renouf · Jun 16, 2019

just take your grammarly off my computer

• Jp
    JP Magoots May 16, 2020

Don't even know where to begin. I can't even log on after paying for premium service. No support online. No phone support. No chat support. Total piece of crap

• Eu
    Eugenia Mickle Feb 29, 2020

Hi my name is Eugenia Mickle

I would like to know why am I being charged $139.00 for a free service.
    I have been using this service for 2 years and have never been charged that much. I want my money back and cancel my subscription. I would have never used your service if I knew you would charge me.
    I see why there is no phone number!

Saif Aqachmar Nov 12, 2019

I was billed on the 7/11/2019
    I did not authorize this payment and i have never agreed to be charged automatically.
    This is the billing information attached.
    I am requesting a refund.

Comments

• Yi
    Yiota Papaliberi Nov 09, 2019

I would like to get a full refund of $139.95 to my account immediately I would like to get the monthly instead of the annual billing. Im a university student

Sankalpa Pokhrel Oct 19, 2019

Hi,
    I am sankalpa Pokhrel. My email address is [email protected] I was charged AUD 207.95 on 11 Oct 2019 by www.grammarly.com for the service I have not used. I had canceled your subscribition already.why I was charged for next year? I wanna refund for the amount you charged. I will complain consumer law if the email is not acknowledged .

• Ra
    rafaelsantos77 Oct 15, 2019

Since the basic service is too limited, and I did not find any trial, I bought a subscription to Grammarly. Tested it with a lot of awfully written sentences, and to my surprise, it only made minor corrections, which is not what they sell at all. I want a refund.

James A. H. Aug 31, 2019

Paid 69 dollars for a stand-alone spell checker/ grammar assist next thing I know they deducting a 140 dollars from paypal and paypal will only cancel them from removing payments in the future. Beware buying programs from grammarly.com especially using paypal they will auto deduct and you will not get a refund.

Mathew Raju Jul 10, 2019

I am using for many many years but this time Grammarly charged twice. Why?
    Please refund

• Ro
    Robin Renouf Jun 24, 2019

I paid for spelling correction for a month but all I got was my email page blocked off.would you please fix it up. you want me to right you a letter just get it off my computer please. I am a pensioner and I not very good on the computer. thank you. ROBIN

Sakshi acaro May 18, 2019

I have chosen the annual plan instead of monthly and 139 dollars deducted from my account. Please convert it into the monthly plan and refund the rest of my money.

Sakeena Apr 16, 2019

I was on a per month plan that I upgraded to annual plan (Premium) . I was charged $139 for annual plan and also is getting charged $29 per month for last 7 months. There is no way to get in touch with the customer service. I need a refund for the monthly plan that they are charging me all this while

mayty Mar 20, 2019

i bought a month usage on grammarly. i thought it is for one mantg use only . then i got another payment to grammarly this month. i have not set anything. so annoying!

Comments

• El
    Elixabeth Leechingyong Feb 25, 2019

I would like to get a full refund of $139.95 to my account immediately since Grammarly was misleading. I would like to get the monthly instead of the annual billing.

• Nk
    NK Hung Feb 11, 2019

I canceled my subscription yesterday and I accidentally press the reactivate bottom today and now I can not cancel it again!! Can you cancel it for me??!!

Chesroleeysia Jan 05, 2019

I was deducted $139 from my bank account yesterday. They stole my money, and I need it back!!
    I wasn't prepared to pay $139, just $11. I am only a college student, and I need my money back ASAP, or else I will write/file a report.

• Am
    amol Bhanage Dec 11, 2018

Dear Sir

Grammarly has done unauthorized transaction for billing. The transaction was done for renewal of Premium account.

So please take corrective action and refund my amount

• Pu
    Purva Taware Dec 11, 2018

I wanted to purchase 1month plan of premium.. I filled all the details and proceed towards the payment.. I got charged 420 poumds of 12 months plan so i need to cancel that and want my money refund

• Na
    Nawo Nov 05, 2018

They have renewed my account without my knowledge and charged me for the entire year. There's no customer service to call. My emails are replied by a bot. I asked for a refund. But there is no way of getting any real person to see my emails. Disgusting company!

• Vi
    Vickyminwei Nov 04, 2018

I signed up for 3 month service last year. But I has been charged for the monthly fee $29.95 till April this year. It is like a scam.

• Bl
    Blaine Fredrickson Dec 27, 2018

@Vickyminwei It IS a scam. They never stop charging you. Even when they "stop", they'll charge you some more later. Don't give them your account or credit card info!

• Ka
    Kav Goundan Sep 20, 2018

Why was i charged?

• Ca
    Carla Skidmore Sep 01, 2018

I do have a complaint regarding Grammarly. I wrote a letter to my grandson and in that letter, I used the word "landline." That word was flagged as incorrect stating that I should have used "land line." Then, the two words were flagged, again, and Grammarly stated that it should have been one word, "landline." So back and forth we went between the two words.
    I have Grammarly with no cost and I certainly would not pay for this addition, as I can use a dictionary.
    However, Grammarly has to decide which use of a word or words is correct, and not give two opposite answers. To use the vernacular, "get your sh#t together, " or go out of business.
    Sincerely,
    Carla Skidmore
    [email protected]

• Go
    Goldy Tomy Aug 21, 2018

I'm working on my research paper, so took the Grammarly subscription. I added the word plug-in and it's too slow to detect any plagiarism.

• Be
    Beatrice Lutchmiah Aug 20, 2018

On 05/06 I was billed twice for $29.95 since your company does not have a phone number I have to contact my bank and file a fraudulent case.

• Ya
    Yasin Samia Omar Aug 20, 2018

Hi, I would like a refund on my annual purchase and change to monthly. There is some additional information. I would like a response fast this is an emergency.

Your Plan: ANNUAL
    Price: $139.95
    Start Date: 05/21/2018
    Renewal Date: 05/21/2019

• Br
    bridgette chan Aug 20, 2018

I would like them to add a back button!!!

• Th
    Thinking Ahead Jul 18, 2018

Grammarly have an option on their premium with is more expensive than a regular subscription, but without informing you or send you a reminder they take the money from your account credit card or PayPal the following month, then when you try to cancel, they do no find your e-mail in their system. This is a very fishy way of doing business, stay away from GrammarSCAM.

• Nt
    NT123 Jun 02, 2018

Hi

I had a Grammarly account, but because of poor services I canceled my account. I do not understand that why I am being charged for this month by AED 113.31 or 30 Dollars, when I have already cancelled my account.

I need this money to be refunded immediately, else being the practising lawyer, I am willing to sue Grammarly for fraud and misrepresentation.

This is insane. I need refund to be processed within 2 hours.

Sincerely,
    Nandini

Sarah1234321 May 19, 2018

I was charged $139.95 without my knowledge or consent I contacted their customer service right away but I have not gotten any response for weeks, phone number just says to go to their site, no customer service on their Facebook site. Now I will try to file a charge back claim with my credit card. Total scam company. BEWARE!

• Dj
    DJBorder Jun 01, 2017

An automatic annual renewal was set up and payment - $139.99 - taken without my authority. No warning was given that a payment was to be taken. I have instructed my solicitor to try and get my money back.

manuprak Apr 22, 2016

I am irritated and annoyed the way these guys are scamming. We have been charged last year and this year for 139.95 for services which have not been used. They do not answer phone calls. THIS IS A SCAM SERVICE

• Ne
    NecoDomini Dec 01, 2015

Thank god that Grammarly thought that my gmail didn't exist. I couldn't get an account and was coming here in search of help. Now, I'm not even going to try. Thank you. I really appreciate it. I'm in highschool and can't afford to be caught up in a scam like this.

• Am
    Amir Seán Aug 29, 2015

Really bad services and I had a horrid customer service agent named: 'Mila' don't waste your money on this junk scam company. It's really bad and the customer services is as rubbish as the so-called services. I asked for my money back within the 14 days they advertised and they changed it to 7 days! really rubbish company and Mila was appalling and rude in her response and non-response, as she didn't follow up on my question . I may consider getting in touch with Student Unions to inform students to use alternative companies if they don't refund my money back.

• Gm
    G. M. C. May 04, 2015

Grammarly.com charged my account after only 4 days of using their "trial" product.
    I cancelled my "trial" and they charged me $29.95.
    Stay away from this "trial"

• Al
    Almaz Yktybaev Nov 20, 2014

I was charged 140 dollars for free trial and I used Grammarly only one day (1500 words). I sent them e-mail and Kasey sent me back this response:

I have also reviewed your account history, and according to our billing records, your subscription was cancelled after the seven-day free trial period expired. Therefore, we are unable to refund your initial payment per our Terms of Service and License Agreement (http://www.grammarly.com/terms#billing). For your reference, here is an excerpt from our Terms of Service and License Agreement:

“This Agreement shall continue until you cancel your subscription or until terminated by Grammarly. You may cancel your subscription at any time. All Fees paid or accrued in connection with any Service are non-refundable. Except as may be expressly set forth herein, Grammarly will not prorate any Fees paid for a subscription that is terminated before the end of its term.”

How can I return my money, is there any procedures to solve this problem? I am student and it was charged from my scholarship, I don't know what to do. Please give me a reasonable advise.

• In
    Ingrid Maier Oct 27, 2014

(1) In the Terms and Conditions, under License, is the first usage of the designation "IP", but I cannot find a defination of this abbreviation. Perhaps this is a tech term of which I am ignorant, because I am a word nerd and not a techie. (2) It seems they did not use their own tool on this agreement, because under Warranty Disclaimers, they mention "ALLL" in the phrase "WITH ALLL FAULTS". (3) I almost got dizzy trying to figure out what they DO cover/provide/ensure/guarantee. It seems the disclaimers protect them from any and all (or ALLL) responsibility or liability. Their lawyers had a field day. (4) One complainant above notes surprise that the service seems fraudulent when they had a good rating from the Better Business Bureau; this must be a really young person, because in the universe of seeking consumer protections, one soon learns that the BBB is a toothless watchdog. (5) I know this is picky of me, but the support person offers to assist the customer. Assist sounds so phony; why not just "help"? (6) A red flag for me was the default password on the form to sign up for the free trial. This conversation has helped me avoid the type of mistake that I suspected buying from this company would be. Thanks, folks.

• Ri
    Richard Gladwell May 21, 2014

I signed up for Grammarly less than a month ago, paid the full year's subscription, now it won't let me log in - and wants another subscription.

Why??

Richard
    [email protected]

• Kn
    Kniclac Apr 04, 2014

I have to say that I was pretty nervous about asking Grammarly to refund my money to me. They charged me an entire years subscription in one charge even though I put in a cancellation. I got a bit angry in an email I wrote to the customer service after seeing all of your posts on this complaints board, and I was clearly a bit too hasty. Within two hours I received an email back from one of the representatives (for some reason there are no customer representatives via phone) who had already put the full 139 dollars back into my account. I really don't see this as a scam site and I would have to say overall, they run a good company. Just be careful and check your account to make sure nothing has been billed.. Keep your cancellation emails and documents as proof as well. If you do, you'll have no problems at all.

Madman32 Dec 17, 2013

I signed up for the free subscription for 7 days, then I mistakenly signed up for the year subscription. (That part is my fault). However, I decided to cancel my account. The problem is where is my subscription or my money back? I can't use the service, but I have 11 months left of service?? What the hell is wrong with you crooks. I am reporting you to the attorney general, bbb, and my bank for fraud. Thanks for nothing you crooks. Do not deal with grammerly!!! They will dupe you!!!

• Mi
    MichMacon Nov 15, 2013

I am pretty unhappy with this company right now. My membership is not due until today, just when I am going to cancel my membership, then I found out that they already charged me three days ago and there isn't any phone number that I can call to talk to a real person to get this problem resolve!

• Ko
    KookieK Oct 18, 2013

Add me to the list! I just noticed they deducted $139.95 out of my account for what? I never authorized that transaction and followed THEIR policy on the trial membership! I've called, but the 800 number is only a voicemail...what reputable company has a customer support number that's only a voicemail? NEVER use Grammerly...what a rip-off! I would suggest EVERYONE contact the BBB submit your complaints there...or as the contact person above stated "go to our facebook/twitter page" and post your comments there as well!! When enough people read about how this company TRICKS you into taking your money...and how horrible their customer relations is...maybe then, they will realize how important it is to run a more reputable company!