Menu
Freelancer.com
reviews & complaints

Freelancer.com
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

384 complaints
88 resolved 296 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Freelancer.com. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
9:47 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I did a job and they just blocked my payment for no reason. My address, identity and payment are verified. It was money that was waiting to pay my bills and I am deeply sad and desperate. [protected]:02:24 Locked due to security reasons for [Prize Awarded for Set of Images - Job Board Launch (EUR)] (EUR) security reasons EUR 200.00 30 day(s)

M
11:06 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Last week someone from the freelancer team offered me to renew my membership for one year and pay just 63$ and I accepted after that suddenly my account closed without any alert of emails and no one from support replied to my emails and requests. Now they stole 63$ Membership fees + 1588$ my account balance My username: mostafaemad75

8:33 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I opened an account in freelancer.com with the aim to start up a career by freelancing my skills to a global clientele. After months of strenous bidding I was able to bag a project and was very happy about that. Since these months I had invested to make my account active. Didn't got a single warning from freelancer. All the mails they send were only about...

N
2:07 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I've read some cases that are similar to mine telling that their account was suspended without warning. My hard-earned fund can't withdraw too because of this.

B
7:54 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In brief how this happened. Few days ago, my partner (lived in same house) decided to close her freelance account which she dont use anymore. SO before that she wanted a tiny $ 15 to give that to me. She used the computer what I used for my regular freelance work. (We have single computer in house). freelance flagged that as suspicious activity and ask...

Y
9:23 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My account is blocked or deactivated for having lived in a politically blocked country. Today I live in the United States. Can you release or activate my account?

D
4:06 pm EDT

Freelancer.com - Closure of account, account had 600$

I have a freelancer account in which I had 600$ and the account was closed by freelancer without any proper reason

Due to the app, I lost a large amount of money as I did a project with client whose payment method was shown verified and he released milestone but the milestone was later reversed to the client's account. I reached freelancer regarding the same issue as the amount was really big approx 700$, they told me that client had violeted their terms and conditions so they had to close his account.

That time I didn't raise the Matter further but the very next week they restricted my account too! My fault in this scam was 0, actually I was the one being scammed so I posted a project to one freelancer so I could transfer remaining funds but in return they banned my own account.

Does that make sense? Banning my account because I was scammed and to be on safe side I transferred remaining funds on a freelancer I personally know?

I would like to atleast get my account back so I could withdraw the remaining earnings 600$ from my account and the money scammed by my client using their apps loophole.

They already have caused a lot of pain to me in past so I atleast hope they will do this much.

In past they realized their mistake and a guy from support even apologized but they banning me proves that his apology meant nothing and the app in reality is just full of system which makes no sense at all.

Account- Dhananjaya01

Below I'm attaching a proof too In case the app tries to mislead saying I have no proof of the same

Desired outcome: Open my account again and please refund the money I was scammed due to your apps fault

F
9:00 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi! My account have been suspended for no reason. I was sending in the requirements for the KYC: - Foto ID - Picture of my self, with verification code & ID - Proof of adress (6 diffrent documents, from Bank, Tax Autorities, ec.) They refused to belive that it was my adress. So, apparently they suspended my account. Here is the trick; When your...

H
12:55 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Joel Smith posted a job on Freelancer that was mainly converting JPEG pictures to Word documents. He told me I had to convert 200 pictures to Word in 3 days. I agreed and he sent me 297 pages(ok) and yet I completed the job within 3 days. He and the company refuses to pay me to this day. I completed the job on the 15th of March

2:37 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Greetings, I beg your pardon, I opened recently this month in March 2022 a clean, clear freelancer.com account and verified it well to re-continue working on projects for constructive activity and not violated any Freelancer.com PTY LTD Term / Conditions/Code of Conduct rule paragraph. They closed the HireWorkOn (associated with my private e-mail...

Z
4:48 pm EDT
Freelancer.com has left an official reply on this complaint.

Freelancer.com - My account is suddenly closed without any intimation to me

Yesterday night / today morning I subscribed to the free month offer and gave my paypal details. I have left my account open on my laptop. Today evening, when I tried to just check for projects, it has taken me to the login page, where I entered my details, I am getting a message that my account is closed.

My user id: j04369129

I tried with my mobile app, I am getting the same problem. This is causing serious anxiety as personal and paypal details are there.

Please restore my account immediately.

Regards,

Suman

Desired outcome: I would appreciate an immediate response and restoring of my account

Update by Z Suman
Mar 25, 2022 7:01 am EDT

They have sent a mail that I have done some activity against their rules which is absolutely not correct. Instead of giving me the details they are referring the whole user agreement from which I am unable to make out the reason.

I have sent a message that I didn't do any activity against their rules and requested them to provide me with details, but they haven't got back till now

1 comment
Mar 29, 2022 2:40 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Hi Z Suman of Mysore, IN.

The same suddent, mistaken closing of account they did to me.

Have you submitted a ticket to them? What did they respond?

It is absolutely mistaken, just bug in freelancer.com platform AI / codes / filters found to correct, let their directorions know the truth to re-open the accounts!

It must needs just that their Support/Administration will be more attentive and polite, kind and correct.

They closed the HireWorkOn(associated with my private e-mail: legitworkandservice@protonmail.com) account suddenly, mistakenly, erroneously after 12-24 hours of it being opened without explaining reason and sent some automatic template messages (signed by Erwin C.). Their support must be attentive to responses, ticket details and kind in accounts reopening and not angry and all-closing like now. The closing of the account brought significant financial and business damages to me, which is unfair, unjust and need to restore the account.

I opened corresponding tickets(JRIZ-4841-YPQY) on their platform and politely explained in details, why and when they need to re-open / re-activate my the account, but they keep sending automated responses and not caring, not attentive to the technical details of the obvious bug found to fix/repair. It looks like their platform programs, filter automation codes needs to be repaired/fixed(There is obvious bug in Freelancer.com platform found: their algorithm or/and code of closing/opening accounts doesn't work as for now, please meet them in real/video and fix the Freelancer.com bug I found!) and their Terms and Conditions and Code of Conduct must be edited/updated.

So just very compelling, worthy, simple, fraud preventing and legally correct nice and convenient solution to many such problems I propose, please implement the text-to-action:

Rebuke / catch up Freelancer.com Administrators / Tech. Support and let them UPDATE their Terms and Conditions in order not to close fair accounts like me and re-open my account HireWorkOn for constructive and reparative activity and let them correct their programs/ automation codes/scripts of detecting and closing/re-opening accounts.

O
9:13 am EDT
Freelancer.com has left an official reply on this complaint.

Freelancer.com - I've got scammed and lost 1450$ (without fee) by account close.

My account is closed unexpectly and I lost 1450$ in my account. I already send you tickets but no reply. Here are my requirement.

I think Freelancer.com support don't reopen my freelancer account but They don't have RIGHT to stole my money so MUST refund to clients that I've worked before.

"PHP implementation of mod_auth_openidc"

Project ID: #[protected]

amount: 1140$

Client: Stewart M.

"PineScript Development"

Project ID: #[protected]

amount 200$

Client: Alfred C.

and other projects...

I saw here, There are lots of complaint regarding this issue and I think they have to refund all of them. Because Internet crime is trending nowadays and Freelancer.com is official site. If these things are happen again and again, Freelancer.com will be crime group!

Best,

Okcana Deshura

Desired outcome: There are clients who pay me few weeks before and Their fund is on my Freelancer account. Freelancer.com must REFUND this money to them.

Update by Oxana Deshura
Mar 21, 2022 11:19 pm EDT

Yes, my client Stewart M. receive the fund but he said that your company still hold this fund even he asked to rollback money to his PayPal.

Please process his rollback so he can get fully refund from your platform.

I'm looking forward it.

Thanks!

2 comments
Mar 23, 2022 7:56 am EDT

they always refunded payment of somebody who deposited first, but me who win a contest fair and square they didn't even flinch what an unethical company

T
Mar 21, 2022 9:49 am EDT

I'm looking for this issue is solve or not...

R
10:01 pm EDT
Freelancer.com has left an official reply on this complaint.

Freelancer.com - Freelancer.com closed my account without any reason and scam my money!!!

Freelancer.com is scam! I have had my account suspended! They suspended my account few days ago. I had about $250 on my account and eventually lost all the earnings (I worked as a freelancer) and got my account terminated.

They didn't message me any reason and client say that he didn't refund the money.

They may have my account suspended and terminated, my money stolen, but those swindlers will not be able to steal my knowledge. Omnia mea mecum porto! :)

I will never work on Freelancer.com again because Freelancer.com is scam. Wanna lost your money and waste your time, be sure to visit Freelancer.com! :) That is what I would suggest anyone interested in working on Freelancer.com. So, stay away from it or you may end up writting your own complaints on Complaintsboard.com. ;)

Guys! Let's cooperate against Freelancer.com! Feel free to drop me a line!

5:40 pm EST

Freelancer.com - Freelancer.com suspended my account without any warning

I worked hard for a month and earned about 400 euro, when I went to withdraw my money they said that since it is the first time, I must wait for 15 days due to "security reasons"

I went along with it and waited for 15 days, on the 17th day they limited my account, because I tried to withdraw to my sister's bank account (because I am underage and I don't have my own bank account), of course they never mention anywhere that I must withdraw to my own account, but anyways

I went along with that as well and tried to add my sister as my guardian so that she can receive the money in my stead, they accepted her ID and all, but they refused to accept her proof of residence, we sent 3 different papers that prove she lives in my home and they denied them all, after the third paper they suspended my account, and trying to log back in shows me a message that my account is suspended and that I should contact their email address (since I can't access live chat because I am suspended), I sent an email but no reply yet.

And I assume the reason they denied the papers is because we hid my sister's social security number, information that is illegal for them to demand, of course they did not demand it directly, as I said they just rejected it.

Anyways, I will keep this updated if they ever reply, but I doubt they will.

The incident happened on 12/03/2022 (12th of March, 2022) at around 16:30 GMT +2.

Desired outcome: What I want is to withdraw my earned money, since my family is not well off I was hoping that this was an opportunity for me to buy a new phone and also help my mom financially.

Update by Angelos Bouklis
Mar 13, 2022 6:00 pm EDT

It got resolved, although the outcome was kinda unexpected to say the least...

I no longer have my own name on the account, they changed it to my guardian's name...

1 comment
O
Mar 21, 2022 9:14 am EDT

Keep a look at this article!

6:58 am EST
Freelancer.com has left an official reply on this complaint.

Freelancer.com - my account is closed without previous warning and there is a sum of 400$ in it I could not withdraw them before closing , I think they stole my money

my account at freelancer.com with this email : ahmed.atef.[protected]@gmail.com is closed with sum of money 400$ in it , I could not withdraw them , I need a way to withdraw them to my bank account. I want to refund the 400$ in the closed freelancer account :ahmed.atef.[protected]@gmail.com to my US bank account with the following details :

Account holder

Checking

Wise's address

19 W 24th Street

New York NY 10010

I already send emails to freelancer support team , they said a withdraw of 390 USD was verified and approved by today to my US bank account , but I can not check this because the account closed .also I want to sent the remaining 10 USD to my US bank account above

find attached screen shots of the emails to freelancer support .

Desired outcome: I want to refund my money or freelancer.com give me a way to withdraw them to my bank account in USA

G
5:04 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello. This is regarding the corporate account of one of my client. He has already raised a ticket WGUG-6547_FMRA. He has already a few projects running and milestone created. Was aspiring to get the freelancer verification badge and to fill the KYC has uploaded all the required documents. But the account has been banned stating that the passport if forged...

M
10:51 pm EST
Freelancer.com has left an official reply on this complaint.

Freelancer.com - Suspended user account for KYC after user had paid.

I understand the reason why platforms need KYC, but shouldn't KYC be done right after the user signs up and before they pay?

Why do you perform KYC on the user and freelancer 30 days after verifying the user's credit card and collecting the user's deposit and platform commission, before the final settlement at the end of the project?

All this can only lower the user's opinion of your company and this ridiculous process is like a scam - you take money and suspend the user's account functionality at will, which is totally unreasonable, why do you take money if you think there is something wrong with the account?

Desired outcome: release my payments or refund.

Update by magicnight
Feb 19, 2022 9:36 pm EST

Because of some specific needs, a month or so ago, I logged into freelancer.com with my Facebook and posted a $1200+ job.

First, I received over 20 bids, but, about 90% of them were bots and had fabricated resumes. There were even bidders who asked me for cryptocurrency during the pre-consultation, these were obviously fraudulent accounts, but every one of them had a 5 star profile on freelancer.com.

Then I set up 5 milestone and deposit over $1200, my freelancer was great, he worked for about 1 month and I released 4/5 milestone payments, then I got an email saying my account was suspended and my contractor could not withdraw and asked me to do KYC.

The most REDICULOUS part of this matter is, isn't KYC supposed to be done at the time of account registration? The platform had verified my credit card, I had done the required deposit, the platform had charged a 3% fee, and then when the project was about to be completed and the contractor wanted to withdraw the cash, the platform needed both of us to do KYC ????

Another very ridiculous thing is that I uploaded my passport, my driver's license, and a selfie of me holding my verification code and ID as requested, but my electricity and phone bills, the language on them is not English, nor does it use any Latin letters. I want to know how I can prove that I am myself when this company requires the user to provide the original unaltered documents, but the original documents are obvious and they can't read?

I started surfing the internet in 1997 and in all these years, this company and website, is the most outrageous internet company I have ever encountered.

Update by magicnight
Feb 19, 2022 10:03 pm EST

The reason why I am angry is not because of KYC, but because the whole business process is completely dysfunctional.

Their system design is complex, completely useless for new users, and there are many hidden charge points. They charge both the bidder and the demander, and the charges start with the deposit, not after the business is completed. This means that no matter what, during the assignment they have already charged the full fee that includes the platform commission, while at the same time they can always suspend your account for any ridiculous reason before the settlement and make you provide some ridiculous documents to prove that you are yourself.

Normally, the process that requires KYC is something I have only seen in massive cash businesses and trading markets like stocks, just what makes a working platform require KYC from its users and the KYC process is completely wrong. KYC needs to be done before the user signs up and pays, not after the customer has been charged, and such a process involves complete fraud.

S
4:22 am EST

Freelancer.com - Withdraw money issue

I have posted a project and created two milestones for it. First was 120 usd and second one 50 usd. A freelancer wants to take the job but he was trying to cheating me. I refused hiw work and closed the project and want to withdraw my money back. I tried a lot to take my money back but freelancer.com gave only a part of it. Freelancer.com dont give my 388 TRY(turkish lira) back. When i contact with support team they say always same thing "the process is done and it will be on your bank account 5-10 days). But i cant see it on my bank account altough it takes 1 month. Now i cant see the money in my freelancer.com account. I'm waiting and hoping that they solve my problem.

Desired outcome: Please give my money back and close my account

R
6:26 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Ihave been charge 182.43 rs , on 9th feb 2022 my freelancer account, i have not opted for any paid services, please close my account and reverse the charges Name: rajeev sangia login :[protected]@gmail.com rgds rajeev sangia

10:21 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 29 Dec 2021, I use freelancer platform to post a job bid for my website project . I award the project to a lady Archa K - freelancer. Her bid is around $90 but she later asked me create 2mile stones - $100 each , total - $200 before GST. She said I can release the payment partial if Job is complete half so the milestone is just a hold payment. I...

Freelancer.com contacts