Fox Rent A CarWas given an unsafe vehicle with a tire that came completely off the rim. Horrible customer service.

A Jun 22, 2020

Received a vehicle with no spare tire or tools. Was given an unsafe vehicle with a tire that came completely off the rim. Horrible Customer Service. I rented a car from Fox Rent A Car on 5/24/2020. When I got the vehicle everything appeared fine and no damage. On 5/25/20 I was driving and then felt a pull on my steering wheel. So I pulled to the side of the road and saw that the Front passenger tire had come completely off the rim.So like any normal person would do, I went to the trunk to look for the spare tire. To my surprise there was no spare tire, no tools, nothing. I don't know about other people, but I have never checked a rental for a spare tire or tools when renting a car. It's usually to check for any damage so your not liable for any damage when you return the car. And to confirm the miles and gas so your paperwork is correct. So, I call roadside on the rental agreement and explain the situation. At first they tell me that's its my fault and I need to arrange for a tow truck and repair. Really? So you provide me an unsafe car with a tire that came completely off it's rim and could have caused serious injury to myself and passengers in the car and your answer to me is "It's my fault?". I was shocked and appalled that a company would treat a customer this way. After explaining my disappointment and that this was not my fault, they finally agreed to send a tow truck. The tow truck came and brought the car to the nearest tire shop which was Firestone. When the manager asked for payment I explained that this should be covered by the rental company. So I called Roadside again and Alan got on the phone with Richie, the manager at Firestone. They talked for a few moments and discussed the tire condition. The phone was then handed back to me. Alan at roadside went on to explain that because the tire thread was good it was not Fox Rental expense. I explained that it's not the tire that is the issue. The tire came off the rim. How do you rent an unsafe vehicle to a customer with a tire that is not mounted correctly?. He then said there wasn't much he could do because he was only roadside. And that when I returned the rental to Fox to bring my receipt and I should get reimbursed for the cost. So I reluctantly paid Firestone for the repair and when I returned the car on 5/27/2020 and talked with the manager she proceeded to want to argue with me that this was my expense. I did not have time to argue with her and needed to catch my flight. So I told her I would be calling customer service to have this handled. After I got home, I called Fox Rent A Car customer service billing. They guy told me that per the notes put in the system I was told that I was responsible for the tire and that I understood. Really? So your agent can type whatever he wants in the system that is completely false and that's your excuse to rip a customer off? I in no way understood being responsible for a tire that was no fault of my own. Nor would I choose to put myself and passengers in danger with a car that had a tire not inspected and completely off the rim. In what universe is this ok? And how is the customer responsible for a faulty tire. This was not a flat tire or damage to the tire that was caused by me. This was a tire not properly installed and was a road hazard. The guy at the billing dept transferred me to roadside because apparently this wasn't his problem to handle. So, a lady from roadside gets on the line and I again explain the situation and her response was "We will not reimburse you". I was shocked at the level of disregard and horrible customer service by this lady. I asked for a manager and she told me that no managers were available by phone and that I would have to go to the Fox Rental Car location and speak to a manager in person. So a manager at a location in a different state is going to help me with a rental I got from another state? Fox Rental Cars Cars is a liability waiting to happen. They do not care about their customers and provide unsafe vehicles. They don't even provide you with the proper tools to help yourself if you do happen to break down. And then they tell you want you want to hear and then rip you off. This company should be shut down.