Flight CentreBeing ripped off

I am a pensioner and I purchased two return tickets at Flight Centre in Tokai on 25 October 2011. I need to book Business class due to ill health. The tickets were R85, 338.00! I was in shock and only realized the morning of 26 October 2011 that Mia Seaton could have booked the return flights in Economy class, thereby saving me about R28000!

Mia Seaton knows I am retiring overseas and we will not be using the return flights but is forced to buy return flights, because she also made out insurance cover for immigration. And yet she ripped me off like this. I even underlined the phrases "can I change my booking" and "charge an administration fee" and made question marks next to the sentences ( I can prove this on photostats she made for me). She assured me that she will always accommodate me of which she did not and I am so upset.

I also asked for the date of the return ticket to be one year away but Mia said she could only make the date for June 2012.

Flight Centre are refusing to help me and say that it will cost (on top of the R85, 338.00) R5000 per person extra to change the return ticket to Economy class plus their cancellation and admin fees. I even phoned Flight centre in Constantia and spoke to Lesley Lund, who refused to give their Managing Director or CEO's contact details. She said that they cannot give out these details.

I sent Mia an email on 26 October 2011 at 09:27 as follows:
Hallo Mia,
I was thinking why did we not book the return air tickets for my daughter and I on economic class, then it would have been much cheaper? And why did you not advise me as such? I was stunned that it was SO expensive, but thinking afterwards I cannot imagine that you did not advise us on this?
Any comments and I suppose you cannot resolve it?
Regards,
Libby Rossouw

I found out later that these agencies works on commission. So why would they change the booking saving me about R28, 000 if they can make commission on R85, 338.00? The administration fee of changing the tickets would be R200 something, so working on a round figure say, for two tickets it would have cost me only R500.00. This is daylight robbery and robbing a pensioner of hard earned money!

We still don't have tickets because Mia Seaton said she will issue it to me on the following day, but then I contacted her and said I was very unhappy about this as stated. This was less than 12 hours after the purchase.

I feel if I had purchased economy class tickets which was paid for and wanted to upgrade it to business class I would have been accommodated immediately and would have been allowed to do it in a second.

This is incredibly unfair. The flight is only due 16 November 2011. This is not an unreasonable request or expectation to accommodate me.

Why is Flight Centre not forced to abide by the consumer bill of rights and forced to adhere to the 5 day cooling off period?

I will be deeply grateful for your intervention in this matter as this is a huge sum of money to have to loose because of greed.

Your sincerely,
Libby Rossouw

• Ka
    Kalay Pillay Soko Aug 02, 2016

Michelle Roux a travel agent from.flight centre has been a had a very horrible attitude towards me in purchasing our packages for Mauritius. We have had to move our dates due to unforeseen circumstances and we have been charged a very high fees and only tickets and accommodation documents have been received even after me emailing her to forward documents of insurance and embassy letters. I have had to make several follow up calls and emails. A travel agent was supposed to make all the arrangements and forward all documents concerned and not for a client to follow up a travel agent. It seems she is not effective in her job but wants the commission.