Menu
Fitness 19
reviews & complaints

Fitness 19
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

216 complaints
57 resolved 159 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Fitness 19. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
G
5:56 pm

Fitness 19 - customer service

Don't go to the Buffalo Grove location. They don't care about their members, only about making money. I was paying 19 a month for 2 years, decided I wanted to leave, and they offered to lower it to $11 a month to keep me. I decided to still leave. About a week later I got a job near BG and called them back to see if I could still get that great deal. Nope, nothing, no reasoning, they just wanted me to repay the useless joke joining fee and start paying the regular amount again. Keep in mind, while they are sending coupons to have a friend join and pay only $15 a month. That makes sense, I want to pay $19 while my friend gets to pay $15. If you absolutely must join this ### run gym, I suggest the one on Dundee. What a joke. Oh and by the way, after I told the guy on the phone that I wasn't going to rejoin and pay the fee again after that $11 a month offer, he let me know that I wouldn't be finding a better deal anywhere else. Even if I have to negotiate and pay a little more somewhere else, I'm not going back to that dump. Jerkoff. Learn some customer service skills!

Mar 20, 2011 9:35 pm

The customer service at Fitness 19 in Westminster, CO is terrible. My account was on hold, because I wasn't using the membership. I tried repeatedly to cancel it, and got repeatedly dicked around. Every person I talked to on the phone told me something different, my calls were NEVER returned, and now they've reactivated my accound without my consent. I was unable to come in to sign the cancellation paperwork b/c I was out of state, so I was told to fax some info to them. Then they claimed my fax never got there, and the girl in charge of billing would NEVER return my call.

Aside from that, the place sucks to work out at. The machines are frequently broken, it's either way too hot or way too cold, and on top of that there's a trainer there who was a total creeper... he was the reason I stopped going to this place.

All I can say is STAY AWAY!

R
Jun 04, 2011 3:35 am

Special deals are special deals. Should have taken it when you had the chance instead of getting angry later. Do you go back to Jewel to get the better deal on the bread you bought the week before now that the sale price is lower?

7:29 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My daughter signed up for a membership while attending Shasta College. She canceled her membership because of knee surgery and moving away from the facility. She was told to write a letter to cancel which she did. That was in December of 2010. Since then we have been calling every month to see why this has not been canceled. They state they didnt receive...

3:17 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went to go check out Fitness 19 on a Thursday night around 8pm because I'm moving to this area and I wanted to see what this type of gym offers. So when I went inside to get some info on this gym I saw some employees playing football in the gym instead of helping me or other people at the gym out. Also I have a son so I might bring him with me so I can...

V
5:37 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Do not sign up they are thieves. When you cancel your membership they still charge you one more month for the services you have canceled over 2 weeks ago. When I Questioned them about the charges they told me their was a 30 day notice needed therefore they can steal your money for one month that you can't use their facility.

11:47 pm

Fitness 19 - worst customer service

I signed up with the gym before it was built and asked if I moved out of the area would I get my deposit back and was assured I would. I moved before the gym opened and Rick Collins REFUSED to refund my money when he is the one who assured me I would get it back when he signed me up. They also tried to bill me twice-watch your bank statements if you dare to sign up for their sub-par gym. They truely care only about getting your money! Two thumbs DOWN!

G
Sep 22, 2011 7:22 pm

I understood exactly what u are talking aout this same guy tried to screw me over talking me down like I was an idiot. I did the rule of canceling 30 days prior and then he said there was an issue in my account that they did not receive my last payment voiding my cancelation. So I would have to redo another cancelation & trying charge late fee.I paid that last payment. I gave them my bank statements saying there is money in my account & I just got paid direct deposit. They never had a problem before with getting money except my last payment. Trying to keep me locked in. He treated me like I was a stupid woman and didnt know what I was talking about. I got very angry did not even want to come back to finish my last two sessions with my trainer.. that was fully paid off already. My trainer well trainers because my original one I had was gone I wasnt even notified until I needed another appointment with him and that is when I found out my trainer left and took my contract with him.. but the trainers I did like. Now they tried to get another payment in September knowing I was fully canceled and I have proof because I made RICK write me some proof. I called there and told them they need to situate this and hopefully they do.. So if they ever try to go to my credit to start anything I have proof... The manager has no good customer relation and treated me like I have no brains. He really needs to step up or needs to be replaced.

V
Dec 22, 2010 10:49 am

'signed me up' is the key phrase here.

Where contracts are involved, it is vitally important that what the salesman 'promises' you actually exists in the document you are signing.

N
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This complaint is directed at a specific Fitness19 facility; the one located in McIntyre Square, Mcknight Road in Ross Township PA. Joined this club due to its convenient location, low cost and mix of free weights for myself and machines & cardio equipment for my wife and daughter... unfortunately this turned out to be a very poorly considered combination...

A
6:26 pm

Fitness 19 - bad business practices

I went in to cancel my membership, and after badgering and guilting me to continue the membership for several minutes, they told me they were going to charge me the monthly AND annual renewal fee anyway. They refused to refund me the annual fee, saying it was in the contract. The monthly fee I can understand, but the contract only stipulates that I would be charged the monthly fee if I canceled after a certain day. What a huge ripoff!

W
Jul 29, 2011 11:45 pm

I also had problems cancelling my membership. I went in to cancel in April and was notified I had to put in 30-days notice (really? to cancel a GYM membership?). The guy I spoke with went over all my possible option and wasted a good 20 minutes of my time. I told him I hadn't used the gym in close to two years and want to cancel. Finally, after turning down the other options, he explained that one more payment would come out in May and then my membership would be cancelled. I asked if I needed to sign anything and he said it was not necessary since he documented everything in the computer. I was billed in May but also in June and twice in July. I went in to see about a refund and it turns out he had never documented my cancellation in the first place. He then attempted to pull all kinds of moves to pinpoint the problem on me and did everything short of verbally accuse me of trying to scam the system. He pulled up my contract and said I was called in June about my membership and found it odd that I didn't come in then. I let him know that no one from the gym had called. He said he had documentation of multiple phone calls. He tried asking me for the specific date I came in to cancel, which I didn't remember. He alluded to the fact that I had lied about coming in since I didn't know the date. I felt like I had done something wrong when in fact he was the one that intentionally did not cancel my policy so payments would continue to be withdrawn. When he refused to refund my money, I asked for a supervior's number and he claimed to be the manager. When I asked for the person above him he refused togive me a name and number for the longest time. When he eventually did, he ended up just giving me the number of another branch.

This is the most unethical customer service I have come across. After reading complaints online, it seems that they have a policy of scamming their customers. Stay clear of this gym!

Y
Dec 16, 2010 6:13 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I'm from Fresno, Ca and they did the same EXACT thing to me. It was a horrible experience there. I would never, never recommend anyone to that gym. The hours are horrible and their customer service is down the drain. I was only there for a few months and I wasted my time and money there. Never again will I join a gym. Dont give this gym a try it will scam you with every penny that you have. They give you tons of forms to look at to hide all the hidden charges to make sure you dont read it. Horrible work ethics!

P
10:19 am

Fitness 19 - fraud

Nice option that is close to home, great machines and free weights available. Unfortunately, this is not a compliment. Frequently the open shift is NOT there. Supposed to open at 5:00 am, it's not 6:42 and we're outside waiting to get it. Happens quite often, now I missed today's workout! I'm on a planned routine for a reason!

The website doesn't offer info on who to contact with complaints, and we've advised of people being late on a nubber of occassions, obviously to no avail!

How can I find/reach corporate offices?

Jun 16, 2012 6:35 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I signed up over the phone. Was told one price, but a higher price was taken from my account. I canceled & noticed all kinds of money taken out of my account from them. I called & was told about annual fees, etc. that were NEVER mentioned to me when I signed up. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS SCAM Fitness 19!

My husband was transferred from Fresno to Santa Maria, so I took my letter to Fitness 19 cancelling my membership, then hand delivered it Aug.29, 2011. They are still billing me eight months later. I sent them another letter with a copy of my original letter, sent it registered mail. Micheal, manager of Clovis Ca Fit 19, signed for letter. Fitness 19 is still harrassing, turned me over to collections. Mrs Moore from Universal Recovery called me, April 25, 2012. She didn't care if I had copies of my letters and the signed receipt for the registered letter. She said "I don't care what you have,
my job is to collect your money. We will be reporting this to your credit file." I can not believe these people, they are rude, no help with problems, and I don't know what to do about it except take them to court. Beth Mccady

Fitness 19 - credit card billing

They won't stop billing my credit card, even though I CANCELLED it and have quit the club months ago. They billed me again last month even after I got it in writing that they would STOP.

Dec 29, 2011 10:26 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I joined May 2011 and signed myself and my husband up with the new facility. After talking with my husband, and after only a couple of days, I asked the assistant manager to cancel my husbands membership. He only wanted me to join. The man was very kind and said he will take care of it, no problem. When they opened in the middle of June and after we noticed the monthly payment did not change, we asked the assistant manager again to cancel my husbands membership. He said couldn't find my file and would get back to me later. He never did. I returned the several days later. The assistant referred me to the manager. After talking, I decided for her to apply 4 more personal training on my account with the credit they owed me at the time and I will pay to difference when it was balanced out. I stopped going in September after vacation and never went back because they still charging us for both me and my husband as of this month, December. After fighting for our credit, I feel now that I will end up cancelling too. Get with it!

P

Fitness 19 - too many members/crummy clientele

First off, I have to say that Fitness 19 is an excellent fitness company. The problem I have here is not with Fitness 19 itself, but a particular location. The clientele at this particular gym sucks! I absolutely can't stand working out at the Fitness 19 located in Commerce, MI on Union Lake Rd. The problem I have is that it's ALWAYS too crowded, no matter what time of day you go in there. Additionally, the other members are super annoying and most of them do nothing but stand around and get loud and obnoxious or wander around the gym, get in other people's way, and disrupt concentration for those who are seriously trying to work out. They think it's a big country club or something, and the last thing on their minds is to be considerate to other members and let them work out in peace.

Also, the young punks who go in there are over the top. They think they're thugs and do nothing but get loud and obnoxious and stand around and talk instead of working out. All they do is stand around and laugh and giggle like a bunch of little elementary kids. GROW UP, DORKS!

I have gone to another Fitness 19 nearby and it's excellent. It's a night-and-day-difference.

1 comment

You are a ###! You obviously chose the wrong area... Ok .. You found a location you like.. Great. Quit your ###!

12:27 am

Fitness 19 - contract not fulfilled

the manager name is Dean working on Sunday morning. he told me that since i was charged for the monthly fee on April 15 that means I can come in until May 15. As a bonus, he "awarded" me more days so that i can come in until the end of May. However, when I remind him that I was charged for the last month when I signed my contract with Fitness 19, he became upset and asked me "Why you cancel your membership if you want to continue using the gym ?" . I gues his brain is not that good since he doesn't understand how to count the days. The last month charge on the contract should me I have the right to continue my gym visit all the way to June 15 and the April 15 charge means i have the right to visit the gym until May 15. He then said "OK, Is that you want ? To come until June 15 ? OK you can come in until June 15 and Merry Christmas"

I gues Fitness 19 can afford to hire only managers with low brain power. How come a customer who has been paying his monthly membership fee is considered as asking for free gift ? I only asked for what i have paid for and what i had been promised for under the contract. I guess Dean thinks he can trash a customer as he likes even though a loyal customer. He just doesn't care about customer satisfaction, just what makes him feel good.

His assistant was also a clown. When I asked him about Dean just said to me, the assistant said "he is the manager, so he can make his rule". Oh really ? Forget the contract, never mind about our lies and just do what we tell you to do. You expect me as a customer to ever come back to Fitness 19 ? I don't think so...you are a snake.

10:14 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Fitness 19 Glendale, AZ recently underwent a management shift. With new management always comes change. It was decided to let me go from the Personal Training Staff. While I understand change and the need to refresh staff, the manner in which it was handled was highly unprofessional. I was treated rudely and disrespectfully. Andrew Sampson, the new...

7:49 pm

Fitness 19 - won't buy decent scale

The owner refuses to buy a decent scale for the gym. The scale in the gym is a piece of crap that does not give an accurate weight. He wants our money, but refuses to buy basic equipment for the customers. It took a ton of complaints and threats from customers to leave the gym to "encourage" him to buy window shades. The sun was glaring in the morning. Customers avoided the treadmills because of the glare in the morning. I guess invested in a medical scale is too much to ask. Anyone have an address or number for corporate?

Fitness 19 - upgrades

I am not surprised that you cannot contact the corporate site. Apparently they are not interested in their customers. I have belonged to this club for a couple of years and have paid their $20 a year for "upgrades" to the club. Absolutely nothing has changed. Most machines do not yet have TV's, there is no new equipment, no upgraded equipment, no additional lockers, etc. There staff is on the job mostly to sign up more and more people creating an increasingly crowded environment. In winter, you can seldom find a locker, a machine or even a place to hang your coat. I know I am not the only one who needs the distraction of a TV to keep going on the treadmill or bike, and they are often not available. With all the money they are collecting, when are they actually going to do something ? If they never intend to make improvements, drop the additional charges !
Maybe they would not have the turnover that I see if they would actually live up to their contract !

5 comments

Members of a Gym shouldnt complain if a gym is busy. That usually means they are going to be around for a long time. It's time to start worrying when you find your gym consistently slow and the staff are not signing people up.
Also, with being a member at Fitness19 i dont see anywhere in the contract where they have to spend money on new tvs or buy new lockers... all i see is a nice clean well kept facility that i pay next to nothing for... just my 2cents.

T

my3cents be full of queers yo

Wow, very rude comment. You are definitely not my3cent material. We are respectful towards the OP's.

T

Yo you needs to be payin attention to exercises not tv yo Then you wouldn't be so fat

K
Oct 29, 2011 12:51 am

I can get you in contact with corporate. Let me know if you still need to.

K
2:01 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

When I got pregnant, I wanted to hold up my membership, but they told me to pay $5 a month to keep the membership or I have to pay another initiation fee when I come back. I decided to pay the fee every month to keep the membership and one day I stopped by there and said I want to hold my membership from this month. A man who seemed to be the manager said...

W
3:55 pm

Fitness 19 - more dust?

I am a client of fitness 19 and lately, this place has taken a turn for the worst. Mainly, my complaint is with the lack of professionalism and good customer service. All the employees walk around this place like they're gifts to earth, and do not go out of their way to help you. One of my largest complaints is the constant cleaning they are doing during store hours...NOW, i know what you are thinking, "why is this ### complaining about this place being clean?" Well, that is not the case here. I know many other people know what I am talking about when i say it is hard to breathe when dust is being kicked up all around you. It seems to me like this company does not want to do the cleaning when they close when it seems most appropriate. Vacuuming and the constant dusting is very irritating when one is trying to get their gym on. This makes it hard to breathe and makes the ambiance of them gym not so fun to be around. CLEAN ON YOUR OWN TIME! spare my lungs.

That is all. Whew, i feel better!

Sep 06, 2011 12:59 am

Really?! Get over yourself ###. I'm a member of the same club and I totally appreciate that they are keeping the equipment and overall location wiped down and clean. There is never dust being kicked up and your claim about it being hard to breathe in there is only your stupid imagination. Get real. Any gym you go to, the staff or janitors will be cleaning during operating hours, it's common practice to keep equipment and location clean while being used, for sanitation purposes. Honestly, if you don't like it, cancel your membership, get the Hell out and take your stupid ugly snatch to another gym.

H
Jan 06, 2011 3:43 am

Being an employee for fitness 19 I would agree with you that we clean a lot because being a gym are equipment gets very dusty and quickly to. If we dont dust about every two hours you would not want to use the equiptment because of the amount of dust and hair that falls off people. If we waited till closing to glean you would not touch anything cause of all the dust and hair. Its not like other places of buisness. People are moving constantly snd that makes more dust and hair be everywhere.

M
11:34 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

###s run this gym. They did not charge me the initiation fee and kept calling asking for the number to my card, even after I had given it to them. After being a client for 6 weeks I decided the gym was smelly and run down and the employees didn't care about anything other than their own muscles, so I walked in my letter of cancelation. Next day I wa...

D
5:49 pm

Fitness 19 - scam

This company advertised a promotion to come in and try Fitness 19 for FREE for 7 days! I went in to inquire about this and to begin with I waited for over 10 minutes while a salesperson sat less than 10 feet away from me chatting with friends that were their working out! Secondly I felt as though purchasing a new car would have been easier than receiving permission to workout at a Fitness 19 because their sales ploy it relentless! Finally after signing the guest book for liability reasons, which I understand, and a LONG unnecessary tour (sorry but you can see the entire facility from the second you walk in and I doubt people need a 15 minute tour) next I was told random facts about the building (i.e. square footage, building materials), finally when I sat down with the sales person to inquire about just starting my free 7-day trial he informed me that if I didn't sign up for one of their plans then I could work out at this location tonight but it would cost me $10! NICE FALSE ADVERTISING!

Let me know how many others have experienced this!

H
Apr 17, 2012 2:56 am

I joined in November with my mom, both of us on my account. They falsely advertised the price and charged us much more than what the signed stated. They gave my mom a "free physical training session" which was really a sales pitch. She agreed to the personal training session and was told she had 3 days to cancel it. She came back in within the 3 days and told them she changed her mind and didn't want the sessions. We went out of town for three weeks and came back to the gym and they asked her if she was ready to schedule her sessions, she told them "no" she had changed her mind. They told her "too bad, we already took the money out of MY account" I was livid, I didn't realize a business could take money from someone's account without my permission. I told the owner Rick (which took forever to get a hold of him) that it was illegal and to give me my money back. He said no, we went back and forth, they pretty much told me that they were going to hold my account hostage until my mother paid for the personal training session (which she cancelled). I told them I didn't sign up for these sessions so I won't pay for them. It wasn't fair to charge me for something I didn't authorize, especially for another person. Rick did finally give me my money back. I went in to cancell my membership and they gave me a hard time. Finally they gave me a cancellation form and I signed it but when I passed it back to them they added a note to the bottom saying that "my cancellation wouldn't be valid until the personal training sessions were paid". That's illegal too. So they are still charging me monthly fees eventhough I signed a cancellation slip and I never authorized these charges. They are crooks! I tried to call them and talk to Rick but they would place me on hold and hang up and they said that if I called back they would call the police on me!

8:07 am

Fitness 19 - dirty

The fitness equipment has spills from client’s perspiration, sports drinks, dirty shoes, etc. and hasn’t been cleaned in months or if it has it’s done very poorly. Vacuuming does get done on the main walkways however under and around the exercise equipment is a mound of dust, bottle caps and hair. Both restrooms have a foul constant smell, and the toilet commodes have hair, urine and dirt caked about the commode stool. The floor is often “sticky” with urine. The restroom floor is frequently littered with bits of toilet paper and balls of dust/hair. The ceiling fans blades are thick with dust and hair. The front desk staff appears to be ill equipped and untrained to maintain such a revolving door operation that involves the loss of human body fluids. The owner/manager doesen't care about how clean this facility is and I'm sure the health department would really like to know what's really going on here!

D
7:28 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I went for a free fitness session to try the place out and was subjected to high pressure sales tactics (as in, "what am I going to sign you up for today"). My daughter and I went in a day or so later just to work out on the machines but were approached and offered a free training session which we took. I liked that trainer, I did not like the trainer who...

Fitness 19 contacts